Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

I agree, David, though I find nature sublime on any scale, from galaxy clusters to quarks! :D

It all happened very much as predicted. This morning, at 09h30, the pupa was starkly black and white:

This is the location, on a shady wall of our house. I had moved the household bin alongside to protect it from passing humans and dogs:

I then went off to sing in the Patronal Festival in Great Bealings, and came back, as expected, to a fait accompli:

I moved him gently to some sedums to harden up his wings in shade and safety:

He stayed there until after lunch, when I took Minnie off for her walk, but was gone by the time I returned.

Here's a greenshank taking fishing tips from a little egret in the Deben:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not sure how close to you it is but a Camberwell Beauty was seen in Beccles today, and another further north on Norfolk. Keep those eyes peeled Guy :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant before and after shots Guy :D I love the way that the wings show thought the pupal casing at the last minute :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Guy. The adult is just as beautiful as the pupa it emerged from. :mrgreen:
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I’m just returning from three days in Switzerland - my first return to my home village since 2019. You might think the second half of October is not the best time to see butterflies, but in secret places in the Rhône Valley plenty was flying. My main target was Queen of Spain, just because I used to see these every month of the year and haven’t seen one since my last trip to Switzerland, to scatter my mother’s ashes, in 2019. These were, as expected, common at all my sites in the valley. Flying with them were countless walls, and the other near ubiquitous species was tree grayling. The biggest surprise was cardinal. As some readers will know, I have a special history with this species in Switzerland, and I know exactly where it is at any time of year. Except, it normally stops flying by the end of September - my own latest sighting had been 30th September and I knew of just one early October sighting. So when a cardinal cruised past me on 17th October I was thrilled. I followed where it went, into boulder terrain scattered with Buddleia, and was even more thrilled to see it nectaring - and then another, and then another. I think in total there were 6 there, though I saw a maximum of 3 simultaneously. I think the cold weather they have had in Switzerland put them into suspended animation and extended their lives. Other surprises for the trip were turquoise blue (though I have seen this in October before) and Niobe fritillary (never seen in October, I think). Full species list for the three days (including the third day, which I spent at altitude in rather cold weather and saw only a single small tortoiseshell): Rosy grizzled skipper, small white, southern small white, clouded yellow, Berger’s clouded yellow, small copper, common blue, Chapman’s blue, Adonis blue, chalkhill blue, turquoise blue, brown argus, cardinal, Queen of Spain, Niobe fritillary, red admiral, small tortoiseshell, wall, speckled wood, grayling, tree grayling.

(cardinal)

(Queen of Spain)

(Niobe fritillary)

(chalkhill blue)

(Adonis blue)

(turquoise blue)

(rosy grizzled skipper)

(clouded yellow)

(Berger’s clouded yellow)

Along a tributary of the Rhône, dippers were either ubiquitous or were following me. It was difficult to catch them swimming, because they were only above water for seconds at a time, but this gives the idea:

They take a few quick breaths, seemingly treading high above the water, then dive again. Even on the shore they are not easy to photograph because they move constantly:

(Look right, look left, quick plunge!)

More to come when I get home - with some of the scenic shots I haven’t processed yet.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

How uplifting at this time of year - I’m sure many readers have missed the season extending effect of your autumn reports from Switzerland.

Lovely to hear of your time spent with the cardinals - I can only imagine what that meant to you.

Some of those individuals do look in remarkable nick for this time of year - the condition of the blues particularly jumps out at me.

Looking forward to some more once processed.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you Ben. I haven't yet commented on the outcome of your extraordinary emperor work this year - not because it went unnoticed, I promise you! :D

I got back from Switzerland tonight and haven't had a chance to do any more picture processing. So here are a couple of (almost) unprocessed pictures I took at Bretaye, at one of the places we scattered my mother's ashes (we scattered some here, where she loved to sit, and some right at the top, with the bouquetins and choughs).

These pictures are straight out of the camera but not what they seem - look carefully ...

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I arrived in Villars-sur-Ollon at about 15h00 on Saturday 16th October and quickly headed off to my local woods, below Huémoz, on the off-chance of being able to find a purple emperor cat. This is the hardest time of year to find them from scratch, though, as the leaves are almost all eaten by something or other and the caterpillars themselves are both small and beginning to adopt winter camouflage. They often rest in the curls of yellowing leaves at this time of year. Anyway, though I found evidence they had been here, I didn't find any cats. I did, however, find more unambiguous evidence of white admiral cats and one caterpillar:

(the characteristic pattern of leaf damage/construction)

(an unfinished, abandoned or predated hibernaculum)

(a young 2nd instar - I think - cat)

October is the month for inkcaps in Switzerland. When fresh, they make an excellent breakfast:

At this point I was at about 950m and the evening was falling, so it was little surprise I saw very few butterflies. A clouded yellow sheltered in a last patch of sun as I climbed out of the woods and earlier I saw a red admiral and a male Berger's clouded yellow. The temperature was rapidly dropping - it was just 1°C when I got up the next morning - so there was nothing left but to go back where I was staying and drink lots of beer. The real butterflying would begin on day 2.

Guy
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I keep looking at those two scenic pictures and I'm still non the wiser as to whats going on. Either their stills from some new Christopher Nolan film or it's a reflection on a still mountain lake with a big fish-eye lens..... or more likely something else.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:44 pm I keep looking at those two scenic pictures and I'm still non the wiser as to whats going on. Either their stills from some new Christopher Nolan film or it's a reflection on a still mountain lake with a big fish-eye lens..... or more likely something else.
:D Hi Buggy. They are reflections in the lake, but no funny lenses - just straight pictures. I took them on the iPhone then inverted them and liked the effect. To save you rotating your computer screen, here are the originals, in miniature:

Guy
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:59 pm
bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:44 pm I keep looking at those two scenic pictures and I'm still non the wiser as to whats going on. Either their stills from some new Christopher Nolan film or it's a reflection on a still mountain lake with a big fish-eye lens..... or more likely something else.
:D Hi Buggy. They are reflections in the lake, but no funny lenses - just straight pictures. I took them on the iPhone then inverted them and liked the effect. To save you rotating your computer screen, here are the originals, in miniature:

Guy
Simple but extremely effective! :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

On Sunday 17th I was up early and down to the Rhône Valley. When I left the house it was 1°C and even when I reached the Roman town of Martigny it was still only 6°C. Nevertheless, no sooner did I hit the vineyards than first a wall, then a Queen of Spain came out to greet me.

Continuing through the vineyards, past my favourite trompe l'œil (that I've shown in these pages many times before), I made my way to my midwinter Queen wall.

That trompe l'œil:

It always makes me think of my mother, as when I sent her a picture of it way back in 2007, with my previous dog, Asha, she thought it was me.

(Asha in 2007)

I took a spherical piccie (for VR) of the Queen wall:

https://momento360.com/e/u/273d97f5b061 ... ize=medium

In addition to the Queens and walls, both Adonis and chalkhill blues flew along this track regularly, as well as southern small whites, red admirals and the odd tree grayling. Clouded yellows and Berger's clouded yellows were also about, though the latter never stopped. I've shown fresh individuals of chalkhill and Adonis already, so here are rather tattier ones:

There were common blues too:

This is a southern small white, Pieris mannii ...

... and this a tree grayling:

Next, I headed for an off-the-track spot where regular landslides bring alpine butterflies and plants down lower - so in season, Eros blues fly there, even though it's barely above the valley floor. It's where I first confirmed the breeding population of cardinals in 2013, though I didn't expect to see them today. As noted above, my previous latest cardinal was 30th September. I thought, instead, that there might be some brown hairstreaks still flying, or perhaps northern brown argus or a late high brown fritillary. It's also where I had to call the fire brigade in 2015 when Minnie got stuck underground ... Anyway, today, it was all cardinals.

(Les sapeurs-pompiers de Fully with Minnie in 2015)

Cardinals are single brooded. The first individuals appear on the wing in May - May 4th my earliest date - and spend the early summer gently nectaring on clover, without any territorial or reproductive behaviour. In June, when it gets too hot in the valley, they fly up into the mountains and continue taking life easy. Then in July they return to the valley and start planning for the next generation. The males transform into Vogon fighter planes and the females just get broody. In August and September, eggs are laid in the vineyards, where the foodplant, Viola tricolor agg., grows but the caterpillars don't start feeding until the following year. When the weather's hot, the butterflies typically burn out by the end of September. This year, which was very cool, they kept themselves alive. Some individuals I saw on 17th October might have been flying for five months.

I had been strong-armed into playing the hymns at church in the evening, and a little something before and after, so couldn't spend quite as long as I would have wished in the vineyards (or drink quite as much beer as I would have wished). Nevertheless, I think I had seen all that this part of the valley held for me, so I returned home very happy.

Guy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of reports Guy - its great to see the Alpine butterflies again, especially the Turquoise Blue 8) :mrgreen: That Dipper is great to see as well, the last one I saw abroad was a lot darker around the edge of the belly 8)

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Wurzel. I can't tell how lovely it was for me to see them again, too! :D

On Monday 18th I headed further along the valley to the region of Leuk. Again, it was a lovely day and again Queen of Spain, wall and tree grayling were everywhere along the walk. Here are a wall and a tree grayling together:

A good number of ordinary graylings were flying too:

This is the only part of Switzerland where rosy grizzled skippers fly. I've posted one shot above, so here are a couple in the grass - the male on the left and the female on the right. They never hit it off:

Here is that female:

Again, I spent a pleasant hour or so just watching, photographing sometimes but at other times just sitting and enjoying it:

https://momento360.com/e/u/8cfef1f6869e ... ize=medium

This is a female Berger's clouded yellow:

As I expected, there were a few Chapman's blues around, though I didn't get any decent pictures:

Here's an adder slipping across the path:

I then moved to another site, still further along the valley. I had bought une carte journalière dégriffée (a cheap day pass - just CHF 49) so could go where I wanted at no cost, but the light goes quickly in some of these alpine valleys so I had to move fast to reach the next site in time. Walking up the river to the site, I saw the dippers already mentioned. Here are another couple of piccies:

High in the distance, there was snow:

This site was where I saw the turquoise blue and Niobe fritillary. I've already shown the upperside of the Niobe, so here's a glimpse of the underside, showing the black veins:

I couldn't get an underside of the turquoise blue. It was sunny but cold, so things held their wings open. Instead, here's another upperside:

The other new species for the trip, but not the year, I got here was brown argus. I had hoped for northern brown argus but didn't see any (though it's actually difficult to identify some females):

Eventually, the shadow of the mountains fell on the valley and I headed home after another very successful day.

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Day 3 - Tuesday, my last day - was spent locally. I went up the mountain where I've lived most of my adult life to spend some time with my mother, whose ashes are scattered up there. Here's another spherical shot from the table where she and my father have so often had their picnic lunch:

https://momento360.com/e/u/ccce89c19d4a ... ize=medium

I drank a beer to her! Then I climbed up to the local summit, Le Grand Chamossaire, overlooking the valley leading up to Les Mosses, with Leysin on the other side. I had scattered some of her ashes here too. Sadly, they have built a wooden fence up there in the last year and laid wood chips, but I had scattered her over the edge where the bouquetins and choughs live, so it didn't make a lot of difference. Here is another spherical piccie from up there:

https://momento360.com/e/u/2ed68869b869 ... ize=medium

Here are some alpine chough piccies from there:

After lunch back home, I headed off in the afternoon to the other side of that valley - to the village of Leysin, where I have been working remotely for the last couple of years. This is the school I've been working for, the Leysin American School:

It was half term, so I couldn't meet any of my students or employers, but I had arranged to meet one of the teachers later in the day. Before then, I took a walk above Leysin. By now it was a beautiful day, but no butterflies were flying at this altitude. This is a shot along the road:

And this a shot across the valley to where I was in the morning:

A close-up of Le Grand Chamossaire from this side:

Leysin is a bizarre town. Most of it is literally built on a slope, so you are always walking up or down. The school is right at the top - everything else is below. I saw just one butterfly in the whole day, this female small tortoiseshell in Leysin itself:

Then back on the trains and home, arriving for my last night in Switzerland a little after 21h00.

Guy
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous reportage, Guy. I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful trip to your sacred heaven on earth. It's impossible not to sense what this area means to you spiritually, and it's easy to understand why you hold it in such esteem.

For mid-late October, there was an enviable range of butterflies still active, although I presume that will change quite soon.

Great that you caught up with those elderly Cardinals, and those semi-panoramic images you provided on your links were absolutely beautiful.

I'm sure you feel a whole lot better having spent time there.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Brilliant write up Guy. Despite only having been once, Switzerland already holds a special place in the heart. Can't wait to return.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. It’s wonderful that you managed to get back there, and lovely for us to see again the area that means so much to you.

And not a bad selection of birds and butterflies, either!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant set of reports Guy :D I've tried for and missed out on Niobes three times now so a :mrgreen: for that one though my favourite shots are of the Alpine Chough - seeing them brings back some cracking memories of my visits to Switzerland and Chamonix, unfortunately before I got into butterflies :D

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you all for your comments.

If I have been noticeable by my absence on these forums recently, it is because, as some of you know, I have been caring for my dying father. Yesterday, a few weeks shy of his 90th birthday, he slipped away peacefully at home, with all his children and one grandchild at his bedside.

I will probably remain a little muted here for the time being, as there is very much to be done, but I will be back!

Guy

(A comma in the garden yesterday)

(A different one in the same place today)

(A peacock in the garden today)

(A small tortoiseshell oviposturing near Woodbridge today)

(Another small tortoiseshell today)

Return to “Personal Diaries”