Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Goldie M

Post by Neil Freeman »

Very nice Heath Fritillaries Goldie :mrgreen: :D . I've never seen them in the south-east, all those I have previously seen have been on Exmoor or in Cornwall.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Trevor, I think I'll have to run a bed and Breakfast when I get settled :D

Thanks Neil, I'll be going back to the Woods through the week I bet more will be out by then, also hope fully, the White Admiral and SWF :D

It's great living here, I've enjoyed seeing so many Butterflies and it's only June, lots more to see I hope :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking work with the Heaths Goldie - have a :mrgreen: from me too again for having them so close :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your patience has been rewarded M. That 3rd image is a real nice shot. You're very lucky having them so close :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel and Pauline, the trouble with living so near them is you want to go and see them time and time again :D

Thats what I did this morning I thought I'd go early before it got too hot, trouble is when I got there the Sun had only reached a small part of the place they like to be, so couldn't see them right a way, so I waited.

This man came along then, he'd got all the gear for Butterflying :D He was really nice and helpful, He said, " they're in there but they're roosting", he proceeded to take a gadget out of his bag because he said he could see two in the long grass, some thing I hadn't seen, then he took a blade of grass and slid it through the gadget which he then placed on the ground, care fully then he took one of the Butterflies placed it on the stem of the grass and we watched it slowly climb to the top, after he put it on his arm , then placed it back where later when the Sun came out it flew off :D

I was fascinated :D I took some shots but it was still dark in there and I didn't want to mess about really with the camera, I'd got it set to what I thought was okay, turns out I could have done better :roll:

I decided Reculver was just down the road from the Woods after you come to the Round about so I went there to see if I could find a Skipper, I wasn't there two mins before I found one, also saw a Painted Lady, tomorrow I'll visit Seasalter and see if any thing else shows up before I get too busy. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6595.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_6585.jpeg
IMG_6551.jpeg
IMG_6553.jpeg
IMG_6554.jpeg
IMG_6555.jpeg
IMG_6556.jpeg
IMG_6561.jpeg
IMG_6566.jpeg
IMG_6572.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Last night with the Moon shining so brightly through the trees I couldn't resist taking a couple of shots, it was such a lovely evening I took one with the shine and one without, it's always fascinated me :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6606.jpeg
IMG_6603.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I came across these two Holly Blues today in the Castle Gardens at Tankerton , the Female just didn't want to know :D
The grounds were full of Holly Blues, a couple of Red Admirals only, but lots of Small Whites.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6626.jpeg
IMG_6619.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"the trouble with living so near them is you want to go and see them time and time again " that sounds like the kinda trouble I'd like to have :lol: I'm intrigued what that gadget was Goldie?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you know me I've to take shots of any thing unusual, :D

I took this shot of it , it was a tube as you can see with a wire going through it which went into the ground, the top had a bend to it and seemed to have wire sticking out which had a slit init which the Woods Man ( he worked in the Woods but not at EB) placed the blade of grass before putting the Butterfly onto it, it was fantastic to watch, he also said you could buy these things and make them yourself from any B&Q store, I told him it was unusual for me to be up so early :D

Hope this feeds your curiosity :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6552.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is an interesting looking thing - a monopod adjustable clamp :shock: I suspect the skill is in getting the butterfly to move from it's roosting spot onto your hand and then back onto the adjusted perch site - I wonder if a bamboo cane might work just as well :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Interesting way to elicit a better image of a butterfly, Goldie. I'm pleased you saw a few; it's such a rare species in the UK.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the man was obviously well skilled in the know about Butterflies :D He took the Butterfly off the grass it was on just with two fingers very carefully ,( the Butterfly didn't object in any way) then he placed it onto the blade of grass , when it got to the top of the grass that's when he carefully put it on his arm. It was great to watch :D

Thanks David, it just makes you want to go back there time and time again :D Which I will do :D

Not much happening for me over the week-end, I was told to keep out of the heat, which I did with cold drinks :D I didn't think the Butterflies would do much flying on Friday because of the heat, I did go back to Blean Woods yesterday but it started to rain so that was that, this morning it felt cold and windy but the Sun when out felt warm in sheltered places so I took a short walk up to wards the Castle Park, I saw Meadow Brown, Red Admiral, and a Comma, the latter shot off before I could get a shot :roll:

Hope fully this next week will be better and it's back to the Woods :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6651.jpeg
IMG_6644.jpeg
IMG_6634.jpeg
IMG_6640.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Sun came out this afternoon so I went back to the Sunny corner where I'd seen the MB in the morning, I'm glad I did :D
I was looking for the Comma I'd missed in the morning and there it was Sunning on a leaf :D

I also saw a Painted Lady, Holly Blues were every where again and I counted at least six Red Admirals also more Meadow Browns and a Large White with open wings for once :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6667 (1).jpeg
IMG_6693.jpeg
IMG_6675.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg
IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6723.jpeg
IMG_6717.jpeg
IMG_6726.jpeg
IMG_6711.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:58 am ...Interesting way to elicit a better image of a butterfly, Goldie...
I've seen people use gadgets like this a couple of times whilst out and about. Each to their own I suppose but for me the photograph has become more important than the butterfly when things like this are used. Great for getting those posed 'studio' type of photos but not my sort of thing.

Looks like you are seeing some nice butterflies down there Goldie with plenty more to come I am sure :D

Cheers,

Neil
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi, Goldie - I have to agree with Neil on this one. All the shots in your last post (what a great variety you have there!) look far more natural and evocative than any carefully posed photos. :)

Your Holly Blues are amazing too - I do really well for them here, but yours just go on and on. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil and Dave, I must admit seeing the man doing this for the first time was enjoyable, but when he said it's easy to do, I said to him," not by me :D ", Can you image me with walking stick a large camera messing about with some thing like that :D not that I'm against it ,everyone likes good photos, why have cameras other wise!!!!

I like the unusual shot, not really my style to take shots of Butterflies climbing up sticks, although it was good seeing it happen :D
I like shots like these three, they're not perfect but they please me :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5100.jpg
IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_8367.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:34 am I like shots like these three, they're not perfect but they please me :lol: Goldie :D
And that, in a nutshell, is what counts at the end of it all! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Dave on this one Goldie :D :D I might be wrong - it could just be the way the light is falling though the wing making it slightly stained glass but is that Cloudy a Helice? The fore wing looks much lighter than the rest of the hind wing?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yes Wurzel, it's an Helice, I was at Temple Ewell in 2017 , ( that's a while back ) and I was lucky to see it , I'd an older lens then and it was changeable day weather wise but at least I got one on camera :D That's what I mean when I say they suit me :D I've put a couple more shots in , I think you can see the White better, :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5096.jpg
IMG_5109.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Commas, Goldie. The 'c' shape on the underside is really well defined. :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”