Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Another Great Day At The Office

Many thanks to Mike Fearn & The Brighton Conservation Volunteers (BCV) and Richard Farran of the Sussex Branch for another highly productive day (17 December) on the BC reserves at East Hoathly.

We cleared 'The Christmas Tree Glade' (see map) in Rowland Wood to provide more breeding habitat for the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and other species. Finishing well ahead of time, we then cut some south-facing scallops into the woodland edge at the eastern end of 'Big Beech Ride', where Pearl-bordered Fritillary females showed a liking for the area following their spring 2019 reintroduction.

This was the last visit by BCV for the current management season and I'd like to thank them on behalf of all at BC Sussex for their invaluable assistance over the last few months. Happy Christmas to them all.
BC Sussex Reserves Map.jpg
BC BCV Rowland Wood 17.12.19.jpg
BC Christmas Tree Glade 17.12.19.jpg
BC scallops in Big Beech Ride 17.12.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas UKB.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the pictorial overview of Rowland Wood & Park Corner Heath, Neil. I can 'see' it better in my mind's eye now.

Wishing you all the best for an enjoyable festive season and good luck with the continuation of your work in 2020. :)

PS - is that lovely winter scene in your Christmas images from one of your reserves?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. Wishing you a butterfly-filled 2020.
The snowy scene is the peak of Chanctonbury Ring. The northern slope historically supported Duke of Burgundy and I very much hope it will again in the future.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

New Helpers

Many thanks to all who attended Sunday's (12 January) conservation work party in Rowland Wood. Among the 12 participants we welcomed first-timers Gill, Simone and Kevin; it's always great to see a few new faces and we hope you'll join us again.

We increased the size of a south-facing scallop at the eastern end of Big Beech Ride, to the north of Rushy Meadow, creating more breeding habitat for the Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

As we waited for the fire to burn through, a group of us took a walk around both reserves. I sensed a (completely justified) collective feeling of pride over what we've achieved this winter, with just two more work parties to go. I'll be spending a lot of time here in the spring and summer of 2020.
BC Rowland Wood work party 12.1.20.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 pm..The snowy scene is the peak of Chanctonbury Ring.
Thanks, Neil. I had a feeling it would be a place you were familiar with.
...I sensed a (completely justified) collective feeling of pride over what we've achieved this winter, with just two more work parties to go. I'll be spending a lot of time here in the spring and summer of 2020.
You've clearly been very busy again, Neil. Let's hope we get a set of favourable weather conditions so that numbers of the target species do justice to the work that has been put in. As ever, I shall read with much interest further developments.

Might you have a surprise or two for the 2020 season?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Masters Of Disguise

On Sunday (2 Feb) I spent a few very happy hours in the company of friends, one of whom has invested a huge amount of effort in searching out overwintering Purple Emperor larvae in a West Sussex wood; incredibly, he's located more than 50! We must have looked at about 30 although, as expected, quite a few had been chomped by titmice, with the Long-tailed variety being the main suspect.

The majority were in the usual hibernation spots, including scars, forks and against buds. Several were securely attached to leaves, demonstrating the strength of the silk pads and tethers; these were the first examples of 'leaf-sitters' ever seen by Matthew Oates, and he's probably seen more overwintering iris larvae than anyone else.

Here is a selection of the caterpillars, demonstrating the variety of hibernation spots and the range of colour forms which provide such amazing camouflage against the chosen substrate. These creature are, quite simply, amazing. I usually try to limit the number of images I post, but on this occasion I make no apologies.
UKB PE cat 1 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 2 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 3 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 4 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 5 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 6 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 7 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 8 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 9 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 10 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 11 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 12 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 13 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat 14 West Sussex 2.2.20.jpg
UKB PE cat hunt 2.2.20.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Amazing selection of images, Neil.
Hopefully with minimal predation from now on, we might have a bumper 2020 Emperor season
to look forward to if this find is anything to go by.

Well done Ben.

All the best,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

No need for any apologies for those images, Neil. It's a fascinating sequence and an insight into the obstacles immature stages have in getting through the winter.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Fantastic, Neil - and 50+ is an outstanding haul. Now I'm stranded so far from my own iris woods it would be wonderful to be able to see more photos of these as you follow them through.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks, Trevor, David and Guy. Ben has indeed done very well to find this many, and continues to add to his tally.
I will certainly be revisiting these larvae as they develop, hopefully following a few through to adulthood.
BWs, Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That man Ben really does have a good eye for finding larvae. I think every time I bump into him in the field he's got his nose down in some turf searching for one species or another :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Sij

Post by Sij »

A great diary. very good. Do you happen to know where (if anywhere) I could purchase a copy of the Butterflies of Sussex book?...
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Sij.
The book sold out some time ago now, so I suspect a secondhand copy is your best chance.
I've been very quiet on UKB lately, but there'll be some updates next week.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sussex Butterfly & Wildlife Habitats

Those of you who are kind enough to read my diary, may have noticed that I changed my avatar a while back, which reflects a change in my status and the way in which I'll be continuing to work flat out to help butterflies and other wildlife in Sussex.

After completing my Fritillaries for the Future project for Butterfly Conservation in the spring of 2018, I was unable to find further employment in the conservation sector. Although I continued working as a volunteer for 18 months, there came a time when I needed to find paid work again, not least as a way of funding more of the work I've been doing over the last 15 years, to assist the recovery of species such as Duke of Burgundy and Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

The only realistic way of achieving this has been to continue my work on a commercial basis, so I am now trading as Sussex Butterfly & Wildlife Habitats. I will continue to build on my close working relationships with the South Downs National Park Authority, statutory bodies, NGOs, county and borough councils, local conservation organisations, landowners, farmers, foresters, private individuals and, of course, Butterfly Conservation. However, with the risk of 'conflict of interests', as I'll be charging for my work, it is important to clarify that I no longer represent BC; "all views my own", as they say.

Any new business takes time to get going, but I'm pleased to say that things are looking good for the future, despite the problems which will dampen down activity while the awful COVID-19 situation continues. In a weird twist of fate, I started work as a Tesco delivery driver before Christmas, as a way of earning some money while I drummed up new business. This stop-gap measure proved to be a good move, as I can now continue to help alleviate some of the hardship being suffered as a result of the pandemic, at least until it is all over. Bearing in mind that I'm very grateful to Tesco for taking me on (it's not easy finding employment at the age of 59!), and that I've found the job surprisingly rewarding, I may stay for considerably longer than I originally intended, at least on a part-time basis.

As for many others, my world has changed out of all recognition of late. Keep safe, everyone.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Woodland Management

One of the first contracts I took on as Sussex Butterfly & Wildlife Habitats was the grant-assisted improvement of a private wood near Pulborough. I've previously worked with the owner to develop a large area of naturally regenerating woodland, following the removal of a block of non-native conifer. This has already created some fantastic habitat with an open structure of scrub and young trees, much loved by Cuckoos and Nightingales in the spring. Dingy and Grizzled Skippers have already set up home here.

Over the winter I have been working to restructure a more mature block of mixed woodland which is contiguous with the first area, providing a rare mosaic of very different wooded habitats. This more mature area already supports Purple Emperor, White Admiral and Silver-washed Fritillary, but lacked much in the way of sunny open spaces. The rides were quite narrow and shady and the woodland itself was in urgent need of management.

Contractors had been employed to perform some thinning work over the previous winter, but this was done in the traditional manner, which involves the removal of a proportion of the trees from a compartment to a quite regular and even pattern, designed to improve both the growth rate and form of the remaining stock. However, it is a common misconception that the process is hugely beneficial to wildlife. The increase in light levels will trigger an improvement in the ground flora, but this will be short-lived, as the canopy soon starts to close again. More importantly, it does not create the larger areas of sunny habitat, nor the vital connections between them, that butterflies and many other invertebrates require.

What's more, the owners are keen to see their wood improved specifically to benefit wildlife, rather than produce a commercial crop. Given that a high proportion of the wood comprises Silver Birch, which has limited value as timber, there is little point in assisting this species to simply grow more rapidly!

In the areas I've worked on, I've taken a different approach, which involves some more traditional thinning, but focuses far more on creating joined-up open spaces. This work has included ride widening, the opening of box-junctions, the creation of glades and scallops, and the 'haloing' of the better oaks, to allow their canopies to benefit from unhindered sunshine and space. Brash left around their bases will provide fertiliser long into the future. I've also left plenty of sallows to grow on, which have traditionally been seen as woodland 'weeds' and removed by many foresters; no guesses as to why!

I'll be back here to continue the work next winter, but the wood has already changed out of all recognition. I can't wait to return in the summer months.
Ravenswood 10.jpg
Ravenswood 7.jpg
Ravenswood 4.jpg
Ravenswood 6.jpg
Ravenswood 8.jpg
Ravenswood 11.jpg
Ravenswood 2.jpg
Ravenswood 9.jpg
Ravenswood 5.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the update, Neil. I noticed you had been on the site fairly infrequently but I had no idea of the circumstances behind it.

I sincerely hope you can develop your business transforming woodland into butterfly-friendly terrain. I suspect few in the UK know how to do it better than you.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. It doesn't really matter which flag I'm sailing under, as long as I'm saving butterflies!
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Coppicing Hazel

Although I've had to turn my conservation work into a business, there is one long-term project which I'll continue on a voluntary basis, not least because I've already invested three years in it. Assisted by Chris Letchford of the National Coppice Federation, Paul Day and national park rangers, I recently completed (pre-pandemic restrictions) the cutting of the fourth coppice coupe in our eight year cycle on the Angmering Park Estate.

The coppicing of Hazel on this scale is rarely performed these days, and seldom in a joined-up manner with the specific aim of attracting rare woodland butterflies such as Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Duke of Burgundy and Grizzled Skipper, all of which occur just 5km away at Rewell Wood.

Having spent so many happy days working on this and similar projects nearby, I've come to love 'Hazel coppice below standards' as much as I love chalk grassland.
APE Poling (8) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (7) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (6) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (5) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (4) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (3) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (2) 22.3.20.jpg
APE Poling (1) 22.3.20.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I wish you all the very best in your new venture, Neil.

And thanks for the updates, for all the work you have done, and continue to do. Sussex is a richer place because of it.

Return to “Personal Diaries”