Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

Nice start, Neil. How these moths get by in these winter months is pretty impressive. They surely don't get many opportunities to fly?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. The moths that fly at this time of year have evolved to cope with the conditions, some of them actually have flightless females so it is only the males that fly.
Having said that, the conditions here have been pretty rough for most of February this year. As well as the succession of storms, we have had some generally wet and windy weather and some cold nights in between when it has cleared.
Apart from one more attempt on the night of February 7th, which resulted in a blank, I have not bothered again since so my tally for February this year remains at 1 moth of 1 species.

No February butterflies for me either despite a few wanders down to my local spot by Wagon Lane which usually produces my first sightings. We have had some nice sunny days on occasion but there has always been a cold breeze and an underlying chilliness in the air.
This past Sunday seemed to be the likeliest day so far but still didn't produce anything here. Looking at the vegetation, in particular the blackthorn which even on the earliest flowing stands is still in tight bud, I reckon on at least a week or so to go here, especially as this coming week looks to have a load more rain heading in.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Saturday March 12th.

Still slow to get going here.
We had some nice periods of sun a few days ago but a cold wind kept it feeling rather nippy. Since then we have mostly been under thick grey cloud and have had a fair bit of rain, especially yesterday (Friday 11th) when it rained all afternoon and well into the night.

The night of Wednesday 9th was forecast to be cloudy and mild, albeit perhaps a bit blustery, so I decided to run the moth trap. In the end the forecast was not too far out but with the addition of some light rain and produced a result of 13 moths of 2 species, these being Common Quaker (11) and Hebrew Character (2) with both species showing some nice variation.
These are both species that emerge from overwintering pupae and show that this years moth season has properly kicked off. Notwithstanding the fact that there are some species flying during the winter, this is the time of year when things usually start to get going.
Common Quaker - Coverdale 09.03.2021
Hebrew Character - Coverdale 09.03.2021
Still no butterflies here for me. If not this weekend, then later next week is looking possible...if the forecasts can be believed.

Bye for now,

Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Monday 14th March – First sightings.

After a bit of a blustery weekend with some sunny spells on Saturday and rain on Sunday, today (Monday 14th) was the first day that we have had here that actually felt like Spring.
After a frosty start, we had clear blue skies this morning with some fluffy white clouds bubbling up this afternoon. Temperatures were apparently around 12 degrees but felt warmer in sheltered spots, also helped by a light breeze that had lost the chill of recent days and had a much warmer feel to it.

After taking Jane into Solihull this morning to do some shopping, I was free for a couple of hours this afternoon and took a walk down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park. I have looked around here a few times over the past couple of weeks, so far without success, but today I could feel it in my bones that my first butterfly of the year was on the cards.

I headed for the first sheltered corner and noticed that a few sprigs of blackthorn had come into blossom.
Sheltered corner - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
Sheltered corner - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
The first Blackthorn Blossom - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
The first Blackthorn Blossom - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
Most of it was still very much in bud though and looked like it still needed a few days yet to come into flower.
Most of the Blackthorn here still looks like this.
Most of the Blackthorn here still looks like this.
As I slowly wandered along the first large bank of brambles I caught sight of some movement out of the corner of my eye and followed it to where it settled and proved to be a Small Tortoiseshell, my first butterfly of 2022.
Wandering around my usual circuit here soon started to produce a few more and I ended up seeing at least 7 or 8 scattered around the whole site. It seems that today was ‘wake up’ day for the Small Tortoiseshells here.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
Small Tortoiseshell, a nice pale example - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
Small Tortoiseshell, a nice pale example - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
Looking back over the past five years and discounting the 2 years in which I saw Small Tortoiseshells in late February but then didn’t see any more until late March, this is 10 days earlier than my usual first sightings which have otherwise been remarkably consistent and occurred around the 24th of March.
Most of those I saw today appeared to be males which were engaged in setting up territories and chasing off anything that came into their areas.

I also spotted at least one, and maybe two, Peacocks that flew into the Small Torts airspace and then got chased off, disappearing from view without coming anywhere close for a photo.

I had better luck with a couple of different Commas that I spotted going to ground and managed to creep up on.
Comma - Wagon Lane 14.03.2022
The unmistakable yellow of a male Brimstone was also seen in the distance wandering along one of the hedgerows.

So then, not only my first sighting but multiple sightings and four species to get me going. I can’t grumble at that :D

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

You're off the mark Neil. And a pretty good haul too.
The weather here started off sunny, then cloud for the rest of the day.
Good to see so many Small Tortoiseshells on the first day!.

Good things come to he who waits,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor. Not quite so good here today with a lot more cloud but still managed to find a few.

Tuesday 15th March.

After another cold night and frosty start, there was a thin layer of high level cloud here which meant that the weaker sunshine took longer to warm thing up and there was an underlying chilliness until quite late in the morning.

Around midday, the cloud thinned out a bit to allow the sun to warm things up a bit more so I walked down to Wagon Lane again.

An hour or so wandering around the site produced similar numbers of Small Tortoiseshells as yesterday, probably mostly the same ones although photos do show a couple of them to be different individuals. Due to the cooler conditions today, they were far less active and I noticed some of them doing the wing shivering thing to warm up their flight muscles.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Still not much in the way of nectar sources out here so the few dandelions that are in flower are in demand.
Small Tortoiseshells - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Small Tortoiseshells - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
A couple of Commas were seen in the same spots as yesterday with at least one of them being a different one to the two seen yesterday.
Comma - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Comma - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Just one Peacock was seen today but at least I managed to get a shot of it this time.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Peacock - Wagon Lane 15.03.2022
Despite some gaps in the cloud allowing for a few nice sunny spells, it remained a cooler day than yesterday, especially when the cloud cover closed up again to hide the sun.

Looks like tomorrow is taking a turn for the worse with rain due here but after that the forecast is looking good for the end of the week and into the weekend…fingers crossed.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Neil - I've still got to find a Comma and get (decent) shots of four of my other 2022 butterflies :roll: Days like the ones you've described are brilliant, you can almost feel teh scales falling off your eyes at the first butterfly lights up the year :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see things are now moving round your way, Neil. :)

That early blackthorn blossom is a joy too. Won't be long before it's out en masse.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I have really felt the cobwebs getting blown off this week :D

Yes David, I reckon this weekend should see lots more blossom out here.

Thursday 17th March.

After the cloud had built up on Tuesday afternoon it looked like it would be a reasonable night to run the moth trap in the garden but sod’s law meant that the cloud thinned again leading to more of a drop in temperature than forecast.
Nevertheless, I had 11 moths of 5 species made up of Common Quaker (3), Hebrew Character (2), Double-striped Pug (NFY 1), Pale Pinion (NFY 1) and Common Plume (4).
I was particularly pleased to see the Pale Pinion as this is a species that I only get occasionally here and then not every year.
Pale Pinion Coverdale 15.03.2022
Pale Pinion Coverdale 15.03.2022
Wednesday here was a horrible day with early grey cloud turning to drizzle and then light rain and then heavy rain which lasted all afternoon and into the early evening. Later in the evening the clouds cleared again leading to a cold night and a grass frost this morning.

Clear blue skies meant that the sun was back today but so was the cold wind and it was late morning before any proper warmth could be felt in the air.
This afternoon I took another walk down to Wagon Lane but by then the clouds were once more building up and despite the sunny spells it felt a good deal cooler than the beginning of the week. I still managed to see Small Tortoiseshells around my usual circuit with an increase in numbers of around a dozen seen today.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 17.03.2022
I have noticed before that Small Tortoiseshells here will fly in more borderline conditions than the other awakening hibernators and this was the case again today with the only other butterfly seen being a single Comma.

It is looking good for the weekend and well into next week so things should really start to get moving soon.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Small Torts Neil :D
"I have noticed before that Small Tortoiseshells here will fly in more borderline conditions than the other awakening hibernators" - I noticed that as well today, only 5 Small Torts and no Brimstone or Peacocks (wimps :wink: ) and it was probably a but too warm for the well hard Red Admirals :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I am always very envious of your diary at this time of year, Neil, because it is always full of lovely Small Tortoiseshell photos. :) You haven't disappointed me in 2022 either... :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I have never yet seen any of those 'well hard' Red Admirals in the spring around my patch, they are simply not a spring butterfly here (yet?).

Thanks Dave. I have been lucky with Small Tortoiseshells here over the past few years, they have made a remarkable recovery after being thin on the ground five or six year ago.

Friday 18th March.

This morning we popped round to my Moms and while there I took the chance to wander down the road and do a quick circuit of her local park.
After another cold night and a foggy morning which had not long cleared to leave us with wall to wall blue sky, it still felt a bit nippy and my 30 minute or so circuit produced just one butterfly, a Small Tortoiseshell that was not hanging around for photos.
As I circled back past the pond here, I noticed something different swimming around with the resident gang of around a dozen Mallards. I am not clued up on ducks so had to look it up when I got back home and found it to be a Tufted Duck, a common enough species apparently but not one I have ever seen there before.
Tufted Duck - Langley Hall 18.03.2022
Tufted Duck - Langley Hall 18.03.2022
Tufted Duck and female Mallard Langley Hall 18.03.2022
Tufted Duck and female Mallard Langley Hall 18.03.2022
Back home in the afternoon it had warmed up considerably so I decided to wander down to Wagon Lane to see how the Blackthorn blossom was coming along. A bit more of it has now come into flower but it still looked to be a couple of days away from being in full blossom. Nevertheless, there was enough out to tempt a few butterflies and I managed to get the first of my favourite type of springtime photo for this year – butterflies on blossom.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 18.03.2022
Peacock - Wagon Lane 18.03.2022
Comma - Wagon Lane 18.03.2022
Today I reckon I saw a minimum of 14 Small Tortoiseshells scattered around the site along with 8 Commas and 2 Peacocks. These are conservate numbers as I always find it difficult to be accurate with the way these species will chase each other back and forth for quite considerable distances as well as spiralling up high into the air and coming back down again some distance from their original position…and there was plenty of that going on today in the warm afternoon sun
I also spotted the first Small Tortoiseshell courtship this year and watched one couple for over 20 minutes as they fluttered from one spot to another before the female decided she had had enough and took off at high speed leaving the male looking all forlorn and wondering where she had gone.
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 18.03.2022
Tomorrow is looking good here again, then perhaps a little cooler on Sunday, before temperatures start rising again with up to 17 degrees being forecast here by the middle of next week. With a bit of luck my first speckled Wood will be showing up soon and then hopefully Orange-tips and Holly Blues.

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Another fine haul there Neil. Couldn't agree more about butterflies on Spring blossom,
especially against a blue sky. A :mrgreen: for the Small Tort shots.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great stuff Neil :D I always seem to encounter courting Small Torts when I have limited time and so I never get to witness if they were successful or not :? The first Specklies were recorded today :shock: things seem to be motoring on now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Doing well with your local Small Tortoiseshells Neil, I'm off this weekend so will be trying to get a decent dose of them for myself :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Such a joy to see those splendid butterflies nectaring on the early blossom, Neil. Looks like things have got off to a positive start round your way. :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for all your comments Trevor, Wurzel, Bugboy and David.

After a couple of cool and cloudy days here it was a good day again today :D

Tuesday 22nd March.

Saturday here was a decent day albeit a bit cooler than the previous few days had been but with our daughter and her family up here visiting us I did not go anywhere.
Sunday was a pretty grey day with lots of cloud and a cold wind keeping the temperatures well down. This cloud once more fizzled out to leave us with a cold night and a frosty and foggy morning on Monday followed by another build-up of cloud which lasted most of the day.

Today (Tuesday) was much better although the skies were not quite as clear as the forecast would have us believe with a fair bit of thin high level cloud which at times resulted with that milky kind of sunshine. Even so, by mid-morning things were warming up nicely and I had a walk down to our local shops with Jane to get a bit of shopping and on the way back we spotting a Peacock flying across some front gardens.

After having a quick sandwich for lunch, I wandered down to Wagon Lane to have a look around. It was immediately obvious that a lot more blackthorn blossom was now out and I spent a bit of time lurking around this and watching the coming and going of a number of Small Tortoiseshells, Commas and Peacocks and waiting for them to settle on the blossom.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 22.03.2022
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 22.03.2022
Peacock - Wagon Lane 22.03.2022
Comma - Wagon Lane 22.03.2022
Carrying on around my usual circuit I reckon that there were at least 20 Small Tortoiseshells along with 7 or 8 Commas and half a dozen Peacocks flying here today.
Once again I watched a male Small Tortoiseshell attempt to court a female but this time, after watching them shuffle about for about 10 minutes, they were disturbed by another male and the female took off into the distance at high speed with both males in pursuit.
No other species out here yet although I have seen Speckled Wood, Holly Blue and Orange-tip all reported from further afield around the midlands so it shouldn’t be long now.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking sequence of shots Neil :D I just love all the little difference in the Small Torts - they really are a kaleidoscope of variation 8) :D I'm waiting for your first Specklie as then I know the season has really started :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Superb ' butterflies on blossom ' shots Neil, by far and away my favourite type of Spring image.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. They are indeed, so much so that I firmly believe that the more than 100 named abs that this species has is a bit of a nonsense with a lot of them falling under normal variation.

Thanks Trevor. Mine too :D

Wednesday 23rd March.

A busy day for me with various 'stuff to do' which meant that I didn't get much chance for butterfly spotting. Nevertheless, I still managed to see a Small White, my first one this year, flutter its was across the front garden as I went out to the car at around 11.00am.
A single Small Tortoiseshell was also spotted circling around the back garden in the afternoon before heading off over the neighbours gardens.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”