Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Great work capturing that Brimstone Goldie :D I've seen a few bombing past hell for leather as they do this year but none have stopped :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:51 pm..I also saw 3 Speckled Wood that didn't stop so no shots of them, all told I saw 5 Brimstones and got shots of 3 so I went away happy
You're motoring along already, Goldie, and we're still in mid-March! :D

Good luck with the Peacock hunting. I'm pretty sure you'll stumble across a few.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel and David, I went to Blean Woods today, not East Blean, the part that's nearer to Canterbury, they've broadened the edges of the path by cutting lots of tree's and bushes, I expect it's so the Heath Butterflies will do well, in that area of Blean they've not been too good of late, not like East Blean where they've really been out standing.

I didn't see one Butterfly in there so I'll cut my visits until April I think, more vegetation then , still want a Peacock and Admiral if possible, cold wind today, hope it'll get warmer with a gentle breeze :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went for a walk in Tankerton Park on Tuesday and seeing nothing , I decided to walk back amongst some bush's on the front by the sea, that's where I found three Red Admirals, all three were in different stages of ware and tare, so I decided to post all three :D

I've not seen a Peacock yet, in the garden when I got back to the house a Brimstone, a Small White, and what looked from a distance like another Small Tort were passing through, none stopped, :( any way yesterday having business to tend too I saw nothing but I called into a Garden centre and bought two Boules Mauve which I've placed on the patio in their pots, hope fully when this mist as lifted they may attract some Butterflies :D

All being well they'll stay in the pots until I move house :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5242 (1).jpeg
IMG_5236.jpeg
IMG_5232.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely trio of Red Admirals, Goldie. :) A lot do seem to have made it through the winter this year in the southern part of the country where we've had very little in the way of truly cold weather.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sterling work capturing those Red Admirals Goldie :D I normally have to wait a while between seeing them and actually being able to photograph them :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I noticed the difference in the weather Dave, It's much cooler in the North and when I saw the Small White at the beginning of March I was amazed :D

Many thanks Wurzel, these last few days the Sun has certainly brought out the Butterflies, some I was lucky with ,others like the Speckie I failed to capture, I did see more Small Whites today. :D

I went round Castle Gardens Tankerton today after taking a couple of shots Seawards :D I was lucky and captured a Small White in the park there, it was a lovely day, hope the weather stays for a while :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5252.jpeg
IMG_5255.jpeg
IMG_5254.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A nice Small White there, Goldie. Many years ago my grandmother lived in Swalecliffe, and when we visited we often walked along the front to Tankerton. There used to be a big grassy area by the sea which back then was always full of butterflies - I saw my first Clouded Yellows there... You've brought the memories back! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, where you used to walk is not too far a way from where I hope to live :D hope fully next month some time, it's been a long wait for me to find some where, with the amount of Butterflies I've seen here so far I'm hoping more will arrive, I just missed out on an Orange tip in the garden when the weather was nice, hope fully more will come when the nice weather returns :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie :D I hope you made the most of the good weather - it'snot looking to great for a bit now :? Hopefully the good weather will return soon :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work with the Small Whites and the Red Admirals, Goldie. It's easy to get carried away but this is still early spring, and butterflies will be thin on the ground unless you can find a few local micro-climates.

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll see the difference.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I visited a few places but nothing much was stirring, glad to say though when I went to see the Roman wall at Reculver there was plenty of vegetation, I'm hoping next time I visit I'll see the Wall Butterfly there :D

Hi! David, most of the Butterflies I've seen so far have been in my Daughters garden :D I even spotted an Orange Tip but it was too fast for me :D I've put the Boules Mauve I bought into the Green House just incase they get too blown about, i should soon get my own place, I can't wait to get into the garden there :D

A change in the weather has stopped my hunt for the Peacock butterfly but there's loads of time to find it being so early in the season like David says, besides I'll be kept busy shortly when all my stuff comes out of storage that'll give me loads of work, then, after that, the season should be in full flow :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday all though the weather was cold and windy, I spotted this Small White in the garden, again it was on the now fading Hyacinths , I'd to rescue it from the dogs who were too interested and tried to catch it :D luckily it flew off :D
I'd not put my battery in the camera yesterday so I was lucky the Butterfly stayed for a while :D Today I was ready, no shots :D
Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5261.jpeg
IMG_5260.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with that Small White Goldie, I've seen a few around here.
When the weather improves I'm sure you'll find plenty of butterfly species
in Kent to keep you busy and delighted.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That final Small White shot is the best yet Goldie :D :mrgreen: I went looking for butterflies in the hope that they'd be more docile in the cooler air but only the usual well 'ard Small Torts :lol: (report available around June :wink: :roll: )

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those hyacinths have really done you proud this spring, Goldie. That's a really nicely marked Small White. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry for the late reply, I seem to be behind with every thing these days :D

Thanks Trevor, the Butterflies keep coming into my Daughters garden, so far I've only got Brimstone shots out of the garden, I just hope the garden I'll be getting will be as productive :lol:

Thanks Wurzel, I liked that shot best until today when I got a boost :D

Thanks David, I must remember to buy those for next year :D

I've been busy lately trying to get sorted on the new place, I did have a ride into the woods but it was cold and nothing seemed to be flying, on the other hand in my Daughters Garden this morning I was able to get shots of three Different Speckled Woods, I'm not too good on the Female and Male of this species so I'm not sure if I got both or not :D

What really gratified me was the fact that on the couple of pots of Boules Mauve I bought ready for me to plant hope fully soon,
I got a shot of a Small White :D Roll on the Move :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5281.jpeg
IMG_5278.jpeg
IMG_5275 (1).jpeg
IMG_5267 (1).jpeg
IMG_5272.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Specklies Goldie :D 8) I love the way the light has caught the hairs close to the body - they look like golden gossamer threads 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great that you finally nailed your Specklie, Goldie...and a rather attractive one as well. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yes Wurzel, I always think the Speckled Wood looks good when the Sun catches it, it shows up the cream and gold really well, it's a bossy little devil has well, today I was taking shots of a Holly Blue which it did it's best to chase off nearly every time. :lol:

Thanks David, they seem to be all over the place today :D

I decided to walk up to the park in Tankerton today but before I even got there in the corner of the grass verge sheltered from the sea a Painted Lady landed right in front of me, I was really chuffed :D

I walked a little further and spotted Holly Blues quite a few circling round being chased by the Speckie I mentioned to Wurzel , I did manage some shots from a distance, the ones in my Daughters garden haven't put in an appearance yet.

A little further along and I came across a Green veined White, least I hope it was :lol: This time of year I easily mistake them :D

I missed out on a Brimstone that didn't stop but I was well satisfied with my day :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5303.jpeg
IMG_5302.jpeg
IMG_5301.jpeg
IMG_5299.jpeg
IMG_5295.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5313.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5309.jpeg
IMG_5327.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”