Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

That is indeed an attractive backdrop to the Red Admiral image, Neil. Kind of adds to the intensity of the butterfly's colours.

Your Gatekeepers are looking quite fresh still. Even the females round my way are starting to look a little worn. I guess they'll all be gone in a fortnight. :(
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Red Admirals are having a good season down south by all accounts, still not seeing that many around my way yet.

Thanks David. It looks like the scabby weather here this week has seen most of the Gatekeepers off around my patch.

Friday 20TH August.

Up until this morning (Friday) it had been a pretty grim week here with almost incessant dull grey cloud interspersed with spells of drizzle and very occasional short periods of sun. I have seen the occasional random White and Speckled Wood in the garden but on the whole it has been too dull for even the Specklies to bother flying on most days. I have not been out anywhere looking for butterflies but fortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) I have had plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

After a wet night, this morning was much better with some decent sunny spells that actually lasted until early afternoon. We went round to my mom’s and whilst there I took the opportunity for a walk down to her local park.

Earlier in the year I posted a view of part of this park where a culverted stream had been restored to a natural flow and it is now looking good with vegetation filling in along the banks.
Langley Hall Park 20.08.2021
Langley Hall Park 20.08.2021
It didn’t take me long to spot a few Speckled Woods fluttering around their usual spots and I ended up seeing at least 9 or 10 in various states of repair scattered about.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 20.08.2021
A few whites were flying with at least one each of Small and Large White confirmed but no Green-veined Whites here today.

I was just heading back when a smaller butterfly caught my eye and proved to be a Small Copper. I was really chuffed to see this one as I have only ever seen a couple here with the last one being 4 or 5 years ago.
Small Copper - Langley Hall 20.08.2021
I spotted a couple of male Vapourer Moths doing their best Brown Hairstreak impressions up around the trees although there is no chance of them being misidentified here.

Lots of Dragonflies were also about including Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers.
Migrant Hawker -  Langley Hall 20.08.2021
Migrant Hawker - Langley Hall 20.08.2021
This afternoon, the clouds once more built up into that dull grey overcast that we have seen so much of recently. It looks like we have a band of heavy rain heading in for tomorrow (Saturday) but hopefully an improvement is on the cards for next week, fingers crossed.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Small Coppers Neil :D 8) I think they've misnamed that Dragonfly - I feel that it should be remaned "The Chop-job Hawker" as it looks like they've cobbled together vavrous spare parts from other Dragonflies to make this one :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You're certainly right with your description of it being a 'grim week', Neil. I went 6 whole days without seeing a butterfly which, in August, is quite something (especially considering how many butterfly-friendly plants my neighbour and I have growing in our gardens).

Looks like this dreadful spell is now making way for an extended sunny period again, although I suspect a few species will have now practically disappeared (Hedge Browns, Silver Washed Fritillaries, for example).

Good to see a Small Copper popping up - I've hardly seen any of the second brood.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I see what you mean about the Migrant Hawker, it particularly looks as if the thorax belongs to a different dragonfly to the abdomen :lol: .

Thanks David. I thought I had it bad here but at least I didn't go 6 days as one or two Whites and Specklies briefly appeared during the very short spells of 'almost brightness'.

The summer lycaenids were late appearing here and have then been clobbered by the scabby weather, this after the spring brood were also late and similarly hit by the weather in May.
As you say, the weather looks to be improving this coming week so I am hoping to have a look around here to see what I find.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuesday 24th August.

After a wet Saturday and dull, cloudy Sunday, Monday was better with some nice sunny spells making it feel quite pleasant but most of my day was taken up with family stuff.
Despite a forecast for a similar day on Tuesday, a bit of early sun was soon hidden behind a thick cloud layer that rolled in and stayed there all day. I had already decided that, despite the dull conditions, after dropping Jane off at her Mom’s for a couple of hours, I would carry on to Blythe Valley Park.

I parked up just after 10.00am with the temperature showing 16c on my car display and set off around my usual route. During the next hour or so I saw very few butterflies with those I did see being put up as I wandered along the paths. These included 8-10 Meadow Browns, two of which were a pair in cop that fluttered up from the side of the path and settled again just a couple of feet away.
This is what the forecasts called light cloud and sunny spells.
This is what the forecasts called light cloud and sunny spells.
Meadow Brown pair - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021
Meadow Brown pair - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021
A few Gatekeepers were also seen, all females that were just about on their last legs.

A couple of fresh looking Speckled Wood were in the usual corners and a single Peacock was spotted basking on a bank of brambles...and that was it!
Speckled Wood - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021
Speckled Wood - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021
Peacock - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021
Peacock - Blythe Valley 24.08.2021

Around 11.00am I felt a bit of drizzle in the air and with no let up in the thick cloud on the horizon I made a move.

As I write this (Wednesday morning), we are once again sitting under a layer of thick grey overcast but I have a busy morning ahead as I am shortly off to Sarah’s to help them load up for their house move today. We are then bringing the Grandkids back with us to look after overnight whilst everything is unloaded at the other end. Tomorrow, Sarah’s partner is returning the hire van back up here and collecting their car and the kids to complete the move into their new house.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The grey weather has been a bit of a pain recently - just during the prime Brostreak time :? good job you've got other things to keep you busy :wink: You did well with the mating pair of Meadow Browns :D the butterflies this year seem a little more prudish :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. now you mention it haven't seen that many mating pairs this season.

Thursday 26th August.

A better day when we actually did have the mixture of cloud and sunny spells that the forecasts had said we should have had for the past couple of days.

As mentioned in my last post, we were looking after the kids until they were being collected later in the day to go down to their new house down south and we decided to take them round to see my mom for an hour in the morning. During that time I managed to sneak off to do a quick circuit of the local park and in 30 minutes or so counted at least 14 Speckled Woods with probably one or two more being present.
Regular Specklie spot - Langley Hall Park 26.08.2021
Regular Specklie spot - Langley Hall Park 26.08.2021
Speckled Wood -  Langley Hall Park 26.08.2021
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall Park 26.08.2021

The only other butterflies seen were singles of Small and Green-veined White, both looking a bit worn.

I probably won't be going far over the weekend as I have a couple of little jobs I want to get done before we head down Portsmouth way on Monday for a few days.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of Specklies Neil :D :mrgreen: They look fresh out of the box some of them - love the different hues of sheen from the wings :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That site looks heavenly for Speckled Woods, Neil. No wonder you saw so many of them.

Good luck with your trip to the south coast. Be nice if you stumbled across a Clouded Yellow or two. :wink:
millerd

Post by millerd »

A great selection of Specklies, Neil. :) Their numbers seem to have perked up recently (they often do in late summer I think) compared to being very thin on the ground round my way earlier this year.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Wurzel, David and Dave, appreciated as always :D

We returned this afternoon from our trip down south and I am pleased to say that, despite the mostly cloudy weather, I saw lots of butterflies. No Clouded Yellows unfortunately but I did see my main targets of Silver-spotted Skipper, Chalk Hill Blue and second brood Adonis Blue plus a decent supporting cast.

Details and photos to come over the next week or so as usual as I sort through my many photos.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

August 30th - Bank Holiday Monday.

Anyone who has read my diary for any length of time will know that we often go down to Dorset around this time of year. With our daughter’s recent wedding and subsequent move down to Emsworth near Portsmouth, this year we planned to go down there instead and had booked into a B&B in nearby Bosham so that we could visit them as well as have a nose around the area.

So it was that on Bank Holiday Monday we set out down the M40 to pick up the A34 heading south. When I had booked this trip I hadn’t actually realised that we would be travelling on a Bank Holiday (doh!!!) and would probably have avoided it but in the event the traffic on the way down was not too bad and we made good time. Luckily for us, it looks like most of the Bank Holiday hordes had headed to the South-west from the news reports I have seen.
I had noticed the night before when looking at the route, that if we turned off by Winchester we could go cross country and pass Old Winchester Hill and although we were planning to stop at Sarah’s before carrying on to our B&B we would still have time in hand before we could check in. I mentioned this to Jane who said that she didn’t mind us stopping off for an hour as long as I didn’t disappear for ages (as if I would :wink: ).

We had left home earlier in the morning in rather cool and drizzly conditions and on the way down the M40 had passed thought some proper rain showers but once past Oxford, although it remained stubbornly overcast, the temperature on the car display began to show a more reasonable 18-19 degrees. Arriving at the car park at OWH we found it to be nearly full, not surprising for a Bank Holiday Monday I suppose and just managed to pull into the last remaining space.
I headed off through the gate and down the hill and despite the car park being full there were not that many people down that side, just a few walkers following the path down and around the lower part of the hill.

I zigzagged my way down the slope and despite some thick cloud and a noticeable breeze I soon saw lots of butterflies, mostly Meadow Browns and old worn Chalk Hill Blues.
Taking photos was tricky with the butterflies either settling low down or bobbing about in the wind and with limited time I settled for trying for some reasonable record shots rather than faffing about being too fussy.

One of the female Meadow Browns had the extra orange patches on her hindwings that seems to be becoming more common each season, albeit these were not as large or bright as I have seen on some examples.
Meadow Brown - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Meadow Brown - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
The male CHBs were all looking well past it with that washed out pale grey look they have when worn. Some of the females were a bit better although all of them were worn to some degree. I noticed that a fair number of the females had the four small spots in the centre of each wing which apparently qualifies them as a named ab. This is something that I have seen before at other sites (Aston Rowant and Bindon Hill for example) but only occasionally.
Chalk Hill Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
As I went further down the slope I started to see quite a few Adonis Blues, most of which were fresh looking males although I did also manage to find a couple of nice new females as well.
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Adonis Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Adonis Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Both Pauline and Ernie F had mentioned that Silver-spotted Skippers could be found here and I was pleased to see a dozen or more in varying states of wear ranging from old and raggedy to surprisingly good condition for this stage of the season. I reckon that, along with many other species this year, that they have probably emerged over a longer period due to the poor weather this summer.
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 30.08.2021
Other butterflies seen were Small Heaths, Common Blues and Brown Argus plus a few Gatekeepers were still hanging in there. There were also quite a few Whites flying, most of which appeared to be Smalls, but I also confirmed a couple each of Large and Green-veined White.
Brown Argus - Old Winchester Hill
Brown Argus - Old Winchester Hill
Mindful of not delving into my stock of brownie points too soon in the trip, I circled back up the hill and returned to the car where Jane had stayed to read her book.

Despite the overcast and breezy conditions, it was an enjoyable hour, especially as both the Chalk Hill Blues and the Silver-spotted Skippers were the first that I had seen this season,. This was also the first time in many years that I have seen both broods of Adonis Blues in the same season.

We then carried on to Sarah’s to see her new house before heading on to check into our B&B.

To be continued…

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuesday 31st August.

Before going down south, Pauline had been in touch with me and very kindly offered to show me around the local area a bit. Tuesday (31st) offered a good opportunity as Jane had arranged with Sarah to go out for a day’s shopping for some stuff for the house so I was off the leash for most of the day.
I dropped Jane off at Sarah’s around 09.45 and then carried on to Pauline’s which was about a 20 minutes or so drive away.
It had been another cloudy morning when I left Emsworth and on the way up the A3 I drove into some drizzly rain which then settled in for most of the morning.

At Pauline’s, we had a cuppa and then headed off to Noar Hill for a look around. Unfortunately, in the cool and drizzly conditions, not much was flying, just a few Meadow Browns and the odd Gatekeeper but nevertheless I enjoyed looking around a new site for me and I now have an idea of where to go when I visit again as no doubt we will be down this way more often in the future.
I know that Pauline has commented on the ‘management’ at Noar Hill in her PD and I won’t say anything here suffice to say that I can see why she is concerned and from the conversation we had, she is not alone.

After a good wander around Noar Hill, we then moved on to Oxenbourne Down. This was another spot where I was glad that I had Pauline as a guide as I would probably not have found the parking spot that she showed me if left to my own devices. As we arrived here, the drizzle eased off and although still overcast, it was feeling a little warmer.
Walking up the path onto the down we soon started to see butterflies and as it brightened up and the sun eventually came out, more would take to the air. These were mostly Meadow Browns and faded Chalk Hill Blues with a supporting cast of Common Blues, Small Coppers, Small Heath, Small Whites and Silver-spotted Skippers.
Common Blue female - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Common Blue female - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Small Copper - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Small Copper - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
As at OWH, the Chalk Hill Blue males were mostly well faded but I did find a couple here that still showed a bit of pale blue instead of being all washed out pale grey.
Chalk Hill Blue - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Chalk Hill Blue female - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Chalk Hill Blue female - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
The Silver-spotted Skippers were very skittish and both Pauline and myself had trouble keeping our eyes on them but we reckon there were at least a couple of each sex in the area where we were looking with the males looking quite worn but the females being in better condition.
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
A couple of times we watched the females egg laying but my shots of this have more grass than butterfly in them and don’t show much.
We also watched a couple of instances of attempted courtship but both times were unsuccessful, one being interrupted by a second male and the other time the female just kept avoiding the male until she eventually lost him.
Silver-spotted Skipper pair - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
At one point I was following another skipper in flight when it settled and I was surprised to see that it was a worn Dingy Skipper. This was the first second brood Dingy I have ever seen and I just managed a couple or record shots before it was off into the nearby hedge line, not to be seen again.
Dingy Skipper - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
Dingy Skipper - Oxenbourne 31.08.2021
We eventually made a move so that Pauline could get back to look after her animals and I went to collect Jane from Sarah’s.
All in all, a great day in very good company. Thanks again Pauline for your time.

My day wasn’t quite over though, as later that afternoon I decided to have a quick look down a lane opposite our B&B. This lane runs between farm fields and loops around toward the village of Bosham and along the hedgerows there were loads of Small Whites with the occasional Large and Green-veined White. A couple of buddleias by some cottages were playing host to a number of Red Admirals with half a dozen or so flitting between the two shrubs.
Red Admiral - Bosham 31.08.2021
I only wandered a short distance before heading back to get ready to go out for a meal later.

To be continued…

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of reports Neil :D I love the female Silver Spot from OWH - the pattern of spots is very attractive looking a little as if the paint has run :D 8) You did well finding a second brood Dingy - I haven't sent hat many records of them this year :D 8)

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. As far as I am aware, we don't get second brood Dingy Skippers up our way so it took me by surprise a bit.

Wednesday 1st September.

On Wednesday Jane said that she would like to have a look around the local area, so after breakfast we went round to Bosham Quay which is just a few minutes’ drive from our B&B.
We parked up and took a slow wander along the front enjoying the views over part of Chichester Harbour towards Chidham.
Looking towards Chidham from Bosham Quay 01.09.2021
Looking towards Chidham from Bosham Quay 01.09.2021
We could see quite a few birds out on the mudflats but they were too distant to identify or try to take any photos apart from a Little Egret that we saw towards the sailing club.
Little Egret - Bosham Quay 01.09.2021
Little Egret - Bosham Quay 01.09.2021
By the sailing club we also came across a couple of birders who were set up with powerful spotting scopes and who told us that the birds in the distance included Oystercatchers, Greenshanks, Dunlin and Ringed Plovers.

From the sailing club we circled back through the village past the church where we came across a large buddleia. With some nice sunny spells, the morning was warming up nicely and we had already seen quite a few Small Whites and a couple of Red Admirals and on the buddleia we found loads more Small Whites along with a couple each of Large and Green-veined Whites plus another half a dozen or so Red Admirals.
Jane watching Red Admirals by Bosham Church 01.09.2021
Jane watching Red Admirals by Bosham Church 01.09.2021
Red Admirals - Bosham 01.09.2021
Red Admirals - Bosham 01.09.2021
After spending an hour or so in Bosham Quay, Jane said she would like to go and have a look in Emsworth so we went back to the car and headed off to there.
Pulling into the car park at Emsworth, I spotted a buddleia in one corner and went to have look. Guess what, more Small Whites and three more Red Admirals including one that kept returning to a nearby lamp post to bask.
Red Admiral - Emsworth 01.09.2021
Red Admiral - Emsworth 01.09.2021
We went for a coffee and then wandered around Emsworth and the harbour for bit after which Jane said that she was getting tired and would like to go back to the B&B. Our room at the B&B was on the ground floor and had it’s own nice little garden area and Jane said she was happy to sit out there for a bit if I wanted to shoot off anywhere for a couple of hours.

I decided to go and have a look at Thorney Island and made my way to the parking area that both Pauline and Sarah’s partner (Dan) had told me about. In fact, Dan had told me that I should be able to go through the main gate if I told the guards that I was visiting him but I figured that
I would save that for another time.
Anyway, from the parking area I followed the public footpath where I spotted a couple of speckled Wood and a single Holly Blue all flitting about out of reach up I the hedge. Coming out just below the marina I turned left to follow the footpath south along the west side of the island.
By this time the clouds had thickened up again and it was quite breezy along the exposed path but nevertheless there were loads of Small Whites flying along with the occasional Meadow Brown and faded Gatekeeper.
Small White - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
Small White - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
I reached the fence for the army camp and pushed the intercom by the gate and was buzzed through with no problem and then carried on along the path until I reached a large open grassy area. Here were more Meadow Browns and Small Heaths along with a couple each of worn Small Coppers and Common Blues.
Small Copper - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
Small Copper - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
I also found a couple of nice fresh looking Brown Argus in this area.
Brown Argus - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
Brown Argus - Thorney Island 01.09.2021
I then carried on along the path until I reached the beginning of the beach at the south end of the island before I decided to turn around and head back the way I had come. I did wonder about carrying on and doing the full circuit but I wasn’t sure how long that would take me and by now the clouds had turned darker grey and the breeze was picking up quite a bit to make it feel a bit cooler.

Apparently, Thorney Island is a good spot for Clouded Yellows and Painted Ladies but I didn’t see either of these today, just too dull and breezy I guess. Never mind though as I enjoyed looking around there and no doubt I will be able to return when we are down here again in the future.

To be continued…

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thursday 2nd September.

Our last full day down south and Jane had arranged to spend it with Sarah and the kids and after spending a couple of hours with them in the morning I was off the leash again for the afternoon.

The day had settled into another cloudy one with varying degrees of greyness to the overcast but with the temperature hovering around a reasonable 18-19 degrees I decided to have another look at Old Winchester Hill which is only a 20 minutes or so drive from Sarah’s house. I had been impressed with this site when we stopped off briefly on our way down on Monday and was keen to return for a better look.

I parked up and once again zigzagged my way down the slope below the car park. The selection of butterflies was much the same as I had seen when we stopped off here on the Monday but with a bit less of a breeze there were more flying.

The Adonis Blues in particular were in higher numbers than in the previous visit with many males looking like they had emerged in the previous couple of days. I have since heard that these were introduced at this site some years ago and sometimes struggle here but there were certainly plenty here today.
I spent some time trying to capture their iridescent shade of blue with varying success.
Adonis blue - OWH 02.09.2021

Still not many females and the handful that I saw all looked to be nice and fresh.
Adonis blue female - OWH 02.09.2021
Once again there were loads (100s) of worn and faded Chalk Hill Blues but with more time to look around this afternoon I did manage to find a few that, although worn, were still showing a bit of blue.
Chalk Hill Blue - OWH 02.09.2021
Silver-spotted Skippers were still zipping about with the cloudy conditions doing little to slow them down. Most were looking worn now but some were in remarkably good condition still considering we are now into September.
Silver-spotted Skipper male - OWH 02.09.2021
Silver-spotted Skipper female - OWH 02.09.2021
The few Common Blues males that were seen were all looking worn and faded but a couple of females were in much better condition including a nice blue example.
Common Blue female - OWH 02.09.2021
Common Blue female - OWH 02.09.2021
The rest of the supporting cast were the same as I saw on Monday (Meadow Browns, Small Heath, Brown Argus, Whites etc.) but with the addition this time of a couple of Red Admirals and a single Small Tortoiseshell that I saw nearer to the top of the slope.

After spending a good couple of hours here this time I made my way back up the hill and headed back to collect Jane from Sarah’s.

That’s all regarding the butterflies that I saw during our trip but one more post to come to finish off.

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gorgeous Adonis, those first two look like abs based on recent discussions on FB :wink:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Bugboy.

You probably noticed that I commented in that discussion on FB :wink:
I am not convinced that they really qualify as an ab. although it appears that it has been given at least three different names in the past. Looking back through my photos over the years, I have plenty showing similar spots and a quick look through the species gallery here on UKB shows quite a few too which for me put them within normal variation.
My own thoughts, which are becoming more reinforced the more I look closely at our butterflies (and moths) are that most species are more naturally variable than many people realise. There are plenty however who still insist on putting a name to every slight difference so my thoughts will probably stay unpopular.

Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I did indeed notice your tuppence worth and totally agree with you. I've occasionally come across the spotting in Common Blues, much more rarely and so probably qualifies as an ab, and I've always referred to it as Lysandra-like spotting due to it being so commonplace in Adonis and Chalkhills in my experience. I think a lot of the collectors think of butterflies as clones of each other and get way too excited about a few extra scales here and there :roll: . Having a look through my extensive collection of old books, these black dots seen on the hindwings of Adonis were noted as being 'often' present by several authors (Frohawk, South et. al) and Frohawk shows them in his illustration so it's not a new thing either.
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”