Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel :)
Thanks David. Don't need a hide for these Kings, they're used to people, but sitting in a hide is a bit more comfortable in the winter!

January 2023

Tuesday 17th. I only had a couple of hours spare this morning, just enough time to see if Mr Kingfisher was about. Cormorants were as usual feasting. I caught them either drying off or making a quick getaway!
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
For the first time this winter the Kingfisher was a no show, but sitting in the trees close to his normal hunting ground was a possible reason why he was keeping a low profile...
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
In a nearby tree a small charm of Goldfinch were being rather vocal, oblivious to how close death was!
IMG_0096.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Which bird of prey is that, Paul? Horizontal breast stripes made me think Peregrine?
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:50 pm Which bird of prey is that, Paul? Horizontal breast stripes made me think Peregrine?
It's a Sparrowhawk David :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Bugboy :D It always amazes me that prey species seem to be oblivious a lot of times of any imminent danger, I always imagine they'd be going round constantly vigilant :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:12 pmIt's a Sparrowhawk David :)
Thanks, Paul. Best if I stick to butterflies. :lol:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

January 2023

Saturday 21st. I’d not managed to escape the confines of the M25 since November, so I was itching to get some country air. A working train system, fine (if chilly) weather and a weekend off with no plans finally coalesced to allow me to go exploring. The plan was to explore around Amberley, going north and east rather than south to my usual place to visit here, North Stoke. It was only a 15-minute walk from the station until I hit a very frosty South Downs Way. The local Rooks had got an early start and further on some flocks of Lapwing were peewiting around
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
One reason for choosing this route was to see how long it was to get to Kithurst Hill, somewhere I’ve never been before. Only an hour as it turns out so that will definitely not be the only visit I make there in 2023.

I then headed south-west to Perry Hill. Here I had a (admittedly rather casual) search for Silver-spotted Skipper eggs, finding none. I didn’t really expect to find them though since the colony here is probably rather small. I had higher hopes of finding some Brown Hairstreak eggs along the hedge line but again I drew a blank. Possibly due to the poor showing from the adults last year but also, I suspect they may be spread rather thinly here, the availability of suitable Blackthorn along the hedge isn’t brilliant but I would imagine the handful of mature Ash trees would attract adults from far and wide! The skies above did hold my attention though, Kites and Buzzards battled for air supremacy (obviously Kites reign supreme).
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
I wandered to the other side of the valley where I found a gaggle of hard core birders looking for Short-eared Owls. Avoiding the crowds, I carried on north to ‘The Burgh’ once again being entertained by the Kites. Given the clear skies I had hoped one of the Sea Eagles currently drawing crowds at nearby Pulborough Brooks might drift over, I was left wanting. A small but noisy gang of Guineafowl made for a surprising appearance.
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
Another surprise appearance were a trio of Cattle Egret in the fields just north of Burpham.
IMG_0262.JPG
I finished the day with a careful walk through the soggy fields of Burpham Meadows, the flood plains are certainly earning their keep at the moment, where some Buzzards were settling down to roost including this pale morph.
IMG_0309.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

January 2023

Saturday 21st. I stayed local again the following day with the intention of getting another does of Kingfisher action. It/they were about in the morning but too active and sticking to the shade but I was presented with the sight of numerous Herons descending into a tree in front of the hide, landing with all the grace and elegance of a sack of spuds.
Heron #1.png
IMG_0103.JPG
Heron #2.png
IMG_0161.JPG
Killing time whilst the sun moved to a better position, I took a wander to the Waterworks Nature Reserve. It was mostly frozen over so not a great deal was about, but a few pairs of Coot were up to no good. I watched an interloper accidentally wander into a pairs territory and get chased off only to end up in another pairs territory, so it was forced to leg it back through the first territory meaning I was able to grab what instantly became my favourite ever picture of a Coot!
IMG_0143.JPG
Back at the wetlands the sun was now illuminating the jewel-like Kingfisher who was now drawing quite a crowd.
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
Like Orange-tips, (which are potentially only 12 weeks away :D ) you can never have enough Kingfisher pictures!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Coot shot is a classic Bugboy :lol: :lol: Brilliantly captured to the best comedic effect :D Great to see the Cattle Egrets - the last ones I saw were in Portugal but I did see a Great White Egret on the way to Southampton the other weekend - the only plus point from having to visit the yellow and blue hell of Ikea :roll: :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I think that Coot had been watching some Roadrunner cartoons!

January 2023

Thursday 26th. I visited Barnes Wetland Centre on a rather dingy, damp, grey day finding not as much as I’d hoped. There were no Bittern slinked from wherever they were hiding in the reeds and a Bearded Tit who had been heard recently was a no show.

Flocking with some Goldfinch were some Siskin, my first of the winter and out on the water a lone Pintail cut a graceful pose, clearly displaying how some imaginative chap in a bygone era came up with the name.
Siskin.png
Pintail.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Siskin shots are great Bugboy 8) I've not seen that species for a year or two now :( I need to get out more :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That kingfisher must be turning into a local celebrity. It's even catching fish for the camera now!! :mrgreen:

Nice to see the siskins too, Paul. Another lovely bird.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Heron landing, they really are clumsy :lol: I used to see them on the roof across from where I lived always looking to steal the pond fish. :lol: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, Keep your ears and eyes peeled at Daneway this year if you go, I saw a pair of Siskin there last summer!
Oh it most definitely is David, it regularly pulls in sizable crowds and there’s rarely a day that goes by where it doesn’t make an appearance on the local facebook group!
Thanks Goldie, even though Herons nest in trees they really don’t look like they’re at home up there, especially when it comes to landing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 2023

Tuesday 31st. A dentist appointment prevented a long distance day out, but there’s always Mr Kingfisher and with the sun out this afternoon, he would be glowing if he was sitting in his favoured fishing spot. To start with he/they played hard to get but I satisfied myself with other inhabitants including a ridiculously bold Fox who would casually walk within a few feet of people, barely giving them a glance.
IMG_0001.JPG
Cormorant coming in to land
Cormorant coming in to land
A great White Egret/Heron who's been here for several weeks now
A great White Egret/Heron who's been here for several weeks now
IMG_0043.JPG
Eventually the main star behaved himself and as always drew quite a crowd.
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
Hopefully I’ll be able to actually post some butterflies soon, I’ve not been lucky yet but with these calm sunny days set to continue for a little while longer…
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Thanks Wurzel, Keep your ears and eyes peeled at Daneway this year if you go, I saw a pair of Siskin there last summer!" will do thanks for the tip-off :D That Cormorant looks like it's about to start conducting a symphony :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Amazing close up of the fox, Paul. They shoot off at 30 yards distance round my way!

I'd never noted how cute a kingfisher's feet are. Your individual looks totally relaxed on that stone perch. Must be so satisfying to have one appear so reliably in full view.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I’m not sure an orchestra of Cormorant would sound particularly pleasing
Thanks David, they do have rather small feet and two of the toes are partially fused as well.

February 2023

Saturday 4th. a bit of a chilly gloomy day meant no chance of getting of the mark with butterflies so I went down to Two Tree Island for some wader watching. Despite arriving at the shallow lagoon in time for high tide it took a while before anything started happening. A shelduck sauntered past and a Little Egret was on the prowl, quite literally.
Shelduck
Shelduck
Prowling Egret
Prowling Egret
Shoveler coming in to land
Shoveler coming in to land
Periodically small flocks of Godwit arrived and settled at the far side of the lagoon. Surprisingly they all turned out to be the less common Bar-tailed variety. In the end there must have been a hundred or so of them!
Bar-tailed Godwit
Bar-tailed Godwit
Anyway, it was only after the tide had turned that the Knot and Dunlin arrived. A rather modest gathering compared to what I’ve seen on past visits but restless enough to provide the spectacle I’d come to see as they regularly took to the air for a few cicuits of the lagoon before settling again. A smattering of Grey and Ring-necked Plovers were also in attendance.
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
Dropping the shutter speed for an 'arty' effect
Dropping the shutter speed for an 'arty' effect
Gif
Gif
Ringed Plover in the forground
Ringed Plover in the forground

Sunday 5th. The following day was set to be a much brighter affair so I decided to have a wander round Sussex. I went to Amberley again, this time taking the South Downs Way heading west. There was a bit of a nippy northerly blowing but it did mean that any south facing hedges were bathed in warm sunshine. Sadly not a single butterfly was there to make use of the warmth. There was another reason for choosing this particular route for a wander. Another recce, this time to see if I could find my way to Rewell Wood and on that account I was successful.

In the end I spent the day watching birds watching me! Oddly only a single Kite was around today, but it did fly rather low.
Linnet, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit, Red Kite.
Linnet, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit, Red Kite.
IMG_0073.JPG
Goldcrest
Goldcrest

Tuesday 7th. It’d been quite a while since I’ve visited Bookham, with no White Admiral cats to monitor adding to the regular train strikes and inclement weather the incentive had lessoned this winter. It was however another nice day with the possibility of some butterfly. Once again that possibility didn’t materialise though. More birds it was then. There were numerous Tits around, mostly in flocks but some looked to be starting to pair off.
Blue Tits
Blue Tits
Best spot of the day was a Firecrest. I’ve seen them reported from here several times over the winter, with some lovely accompanying pictures. It didn’t play ball for me though so the best you can say about my images are that they’re identifiable as a Firecrest but not much else!
Firecrest
Firecrest
I did also have a look around for Brown Hairstreak eggs. In past years I’d manage to reach double figures without much effort, today I found just one, adding to the evidence that last year really was a poor season for them here.
IMG_0014.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I’m not sure an orchestra of Cormorant would sound particularly pleasing" - maybe not pleasant but definitely different :lol: Cracking wader shots and the second Red Kite is sublime :mrgreen: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You have such an amazing selection of birdlife to keep you entertained in the absence of any butterflies, Paul.

Well done for nailing that firecrest. That can't have been easy.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, More Red Kite action below :)
Thanks David, much like butterflies its just a case of knowing where to go to find them. Firecrests are pretty much the same as Goldcrests when it comes to behaviour, never sitting still for a second!

February 2023

Tuesday 14th. I was glad that the springlike weather was going to hang around for my day off, with so many sightings I felt reasonably confident of getting off the mark myself, that was until I looked out the window that morning to be greeted with a thick blanket of fog. Undeterred and perhaps a little foolishly I stuck to my original plan and caught the train down to Amberley (again). There were plenty of clear patches on the journey and above the fog was a cloudless blue sky, unfortunately this wasn’t visible when I arrived at Amberley. Still looking for the silver lining under all this fog I set off in the direction of Kithurst Hill. The silver lining came quicker than I thought, climbing up into the hills I soon found myself breaking through the fog. The rest of day was spent wandering the hills in glorious sunshine with more than a hint of spring about it.
2 shots taken on the same spot, where I was going v's where I'd just come from.
2 shots taken on the same spot, where I was going v's where I'd just come from.
I did a round circuit exploring some different paths, ending up at Burpham Meadows. I came across a small covey of Grey Partridge. I’ve never managed to get anywhere near these before, but this particular covey was somewhat preoccupied having intense conversations interspersed with practising their martial art moves on each other.
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
A handful Kestrel were around and in the near still air this male had taken the stationary method of hunting.
IMG_0179.JPG
A few parties of Long-tailed Tit were sniffing around bramble thickets, a sure sign nest building was on their minds. Other Tits were rather vocal too.
Tits.png
As always, I couldn’t not spend time pointing my camera up at the Kites. Near the end of the day they were gathering for roost and spent time play fighting, practising their aeronautic skills.
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG
It was early afternoon, checking out a patch of south facing hedge at Kithurst Hill I’d noted on my previous visit as I likely place to find an early post hibernator, when a yellow leaf weakly fluttering to the ground caught my eye. It looked to have only just woken up from hibernation, fluttering his wings to warm up the flight muscles and then probing the damp ground to re-hydrate after its long sleep. He was certainly very accommodating.
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
I spent a bit of time with him until he built up enough energy to flutter off around the corner. Turning around to have another wander along the hedge I noticed a Hare loping up the hill, unfortunately as I watching him my shadow fell upon a Comma who shot of across the field. I doubled back again, and this time found him before my shadow did. He was a lot more flighty than the Brimstone though, and only allowed a few shots before buggering off for good.
IMG_0151.JPG
Off the mark (with the first Comma of the year recorded in Sussex :) ), but I fear that may be it for a while now with the weather returning to more normal proceedings for the time of year.
David M

Post by David M »

Feels as though that was a spectacular day out, Paul. The uncertainty with the weather at the beginning, followed by the breaking up of the mist, the birdlife, the near-torpid Brimstone followed by the Comma....hard to see how that could be improved on so early in the year. :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”