Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by David M »

Love these mosaics, Paul, especially when they feature colourful spring vanessids on blackthorn blossom. :mrgreen:

Nice to see that Comma pair again. I'm still yet to see any of this group in-cop.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, I'm going to make a concerted effort on tracking down some Small Torts in cop next year so I have a nice hatrick of aristocrats :D

Spring 2022

April 2022.
Predictably, the sun in April took me further afield to my usual haunts in Sussex, Surrey and the Chiltons, finding the springtime Skippers, Dingies did markedly better than Grizzlies this year.
Dingy.png
Grizzled.png
Green Hairstreaks did quite well and even this early in the season some were well past their best!
G Hair.png
The Dukes and Duchesses had a good year and flew in their various hotspots around Ivinghoe Beacon for a good six weeks.
Duke.png
On the south coast the first brood Walls weren’t keen on having their pictures taken… as usual.
Wall.png
I didn’t see many Holly Blues this year, but the first ones also turned up in April.
Holly.png
Late in the month I went on my annual pilgrimage to Abbots Wood for the Pearls. It was not the best day weatherwise but I also managed to get to Park Corner Heath as well for the first time where I found reasonable numbers in better weather, including at least two ovipositing females.
PBF.png
Small Copper, Small Heath and Large White also made their debut this month.
april.png
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:53 pm Thanks guys, I'm going to make a concerted effort on tracking down some Small Torts in cop next year so I have a nice hatrick of aristocrats :D
Paul - I challenge you to find pairing Red Admirals and/or Painted Ladies!

Those are great montages of the various species - I wish I had the patience to concoct the same sort of thing... :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Now that's a challenge Dave :lol: . The collages aren't too difficult to create and its enjoyable to sift through my pictures to pick ones to use, especially on cold winter evenings such as those we're enduring at the moment :)

Spring 2022

May 2022. More trips to my favourite Springtime haunts added nine more species to the yearly tally. Adonis Blues didn’t seem to have the best season, at least at the sites I visited.
Adonis.png
More trips to Duke country gave me Common Blues and Brown Argus.
C Blue.png
B Argus.png
Also, in the same hillside at Ivinghoe Beacon as last year (and according to the people in the know, for the last five years), Marsh Fritillary flew again, presumably the result of an unofficial introduction. On two visits I counted just single figures. Whether they will manage to survive long term remains to be seen.
M Frit.png
At nearby Pitstone Quarry, Small Blues did well
S Blue.png
And a return visit to Park Corner Heath I found a handful of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. As they have seemingly gone extinct at Abbots Wood again, this is now the only site I can reach in a day to see them. My feeling is that Abbots Wood is currently too dry a site for them.
SPBF.png
The three remaining species to make an appearance were the Large Skipper, Meadow Brown and Painted Lady. The former two the species that signal the change from Spring to summer for me.
May.png
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Small PBF seemed to have had a better year in 2022 than 2021 at PCH.
On the visits I made they weren't too difficult to find, several females were seen.
From what I saw earlier PBF had a good year there.

Enjoying your 2022 round up.

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking images Bugboy 8) That top right Dingy shot is a cracker - it looks like it's holding onto a giant Teddy :lol: Sad to hear that the Small Pearls are gone from Abbots Wood :( but good to hear they're still holding on at PCH :D If only they were as unfussy as the Marshies :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comments :) , here's the final instalment of the spring highlights

Spring 2022

Orange-tip. The more observant may have noticed this glaring omission in the pictorial representation of Spring. It was impossible to limit myself to two or three images so I’ve given them a well deserved post all to themselves.

Quite a few pictures came from four I’d reared last year and overwintered in my fridge. In general, they seemed to have quite an early flight this year. After seeing my first in late March, most of my images came in April but I did find a few worn individuals still hanging on in the first days of June. Anyway, only a few months before we can start filling our boots with these gems once again :D
OT #1.png
OT #2.png
OT #3.png
OT #4.png
millerd

Post by millerd »

Your splendid Orange Tips definitely deserve a post to themselves, Paul, and as you say it won't be long before they appear again. :) Just one thing (since you mention glaring omissions... :) ) - where are the ladies? I have a fondness for female Orange Tips, and was very disappointed not to find any. :wink: :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Dave. As for the ladies, there are two in those collages: the one on the Forget-me-not and there’s one amongst the (staged) trio of roosting ones that I reared. Looking through my pictures it would seem I only photographed four females this year.
Orange-tip female, Hutchinsons Bank.JPG
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, taking a break from looking back, here's a more wintery foray from last week.

December 2022

Tuesday 13th. I had time for a few hours locally this afternoon. I did want to walk around the Wetlands to see if any kingfishers were still hanging around (they often go to the coast during very cold weather where food is more reliable), but the combination of ice and deep water had lead to it being closed.

There wasn’t much to be seen on the Marshes and the horses at the stables were being kept in so their paddocks were still covered in frozen snow, only a brave group of Canada Geese were there. There was a bit more action on the waterworks nature reserve where a corner of one of the water bodies remained unfrozen. A pair of Blue Tit were finding something in the dead reeds and Robins were looking very seasonal whilst on the water Pochard, Coot and Dabchick were keeping warm.
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
They had to be careful though, everything’s hungry in this weather!
IMG_0037.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A positive plethora of photogenic Orange-tips Bugboy :D and a praiseworthy Pochard too - another one of those unappreciated beauties 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Orange Tips, Paul. :) Comforting to know they're only three months and a bit away from returning.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, the days are getting longer now, just counting the days until the Orange-tips return :)

Summer 2022

June part 1. Despite the oft’ talked about ‘June gap’, I always find this month the busiest when it comes to adding species to the yearly tally, this year June gave me 20 new species, although several only really came into their own a month later.

The first species to make its debut was the Glanville Fritillary, on what ended up being a rushed visit to Hutchinson’s Bank where I found just one shortly before leaving.
Glanville.png
A couple of much better encounters with the Epsom Black Hairstreaks followed.
Black Hairstreak.png
Small & Essex Skippers were found in most the places I visited, as usual.
Small Skip.png
Essex Skip.png
Trips into Essex gave me the annual audiences with White-letter Hairstreaks and Heath Fritillaries, both in rather modest numbers this year.
WLH.png
Heath Frit.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images Bugboy - really love those Black Hairstreaks :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: - petrol prices willing I'd like to make a run for those next year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, might see you next June then :) . The way everything's going it might be the furthest from home I'll be able to afford to go next year :shock:

Summer 2022

June part 2.

Box Hill provided good numbers of both Marbled White and Dark Green Fritillary, the former being a lot easier to approach!
Marbled White.png
DGF.png
Over at nearby Bookham, White Admiral were also doing rather well, and Ringlets as always turned up in most places.
White Admiral.png
Ringlet.png
At the end of the month, I spent a few days up north to catch up with some species I’ve not seen for a few years. Salmacis Northern Brown Argus turned up in most places
NBA.png
And a few hours at Meathop moss (cut short due to the heavens opening) enabled me to find a few Large Heath.
Large Heath.png
Finding High Brown Fritillary proved somewhat more difficult, particularly since Dark Green Fritillaries were so numerous. Can you spot the HBF amongst these, I didn’t :lol: :oops:
HBF.png
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

David M wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:13 pm Lovely Orange Tips, Paul. :) Comforting to know they're only three months and a bit away from returning.
Less than 100 days now, by my reckoning. Looking forward to it!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant to see those three Northern species Bugboy - two of which I'd like to add to my Life List 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun - Christmas that is! 8) :D

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Matsukaze, always good when that particular countdown hits double figures!
Thanks Wurzel, you need to explain to the family what a beautiful part of the country the Arnside/Silverdale area is :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer 2022

June part 3, Swallowtails. Those of who that are still paying attention will have noticed another glaring omission. At the Beginning of June I spent two very enjoyable days in Norfolk chasing the obvious. In my limited experience the Swallowtail seemed to have a decent season, there was certainly enough flying on my first visit to give me a good range of shots, including my personal Holy Grail for the species, feeding on Ragged Robin :D .
Swallowtail #1.png
Swallowtail #2.png
Swallowtail #3.png
Swallowtail #4.png
Swallowtail #5.png
The days were also notable for the ridiculous numbers of Small Tortoiseshells, almost threatening to eclipse the flamboyant stars of the show!
Small Tort.png
Merry Christmas to one and all :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've tried that Bugboy - they agree it's just the journey to get there that they can'r be persuaded about. :roll:

Brilliant smorgasbord of Swallowtails and Small Torts 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. I just checked on Carlisle Airport, it had started doing commercial flights again but looks like another victim of the pandemic. That could've been an option otherwise :roll:

December 2022

Saturday 24th. Another local wander, once again I went looking for Kingfishers. This time the Wetlands were open and there was plenty of Kingfisher action to be had. I reckon at least three were active along the channel that cuts between the reservoirs, and one did pose rather well as he made a dent in the local Stickleback population. There was other stuff around but to be honest, with this little stunner showing so well, it barely got a look in :D !
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

A few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Kingfisher shots.
I'll bet the Swallowtail on Ragged Robin was a challenge.
I've seen them trying to keep their balance on more robust flower heads, they are never still!

All the best for 2023,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”