Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

Nice to see your trip got off to a good start, Neil!

These Glanvilles seem to be cropping up all over the place. Maybe whoever is responsible for introducing them is trying to metapopulate Wiltshire & Dorset? I wouldn't be surprised if they turned up in south Wales soon!

I shall look forward to reading about the rest of your sightings - you certainly had better weather than when you were in Cornwall!!
Last edited by David M on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel.
Wurzel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:59 pm...Looking forward to some Lulworths possibly :wink:...
Yes indeed, lots of them. Coming up after the next report.

Thanks Katrina. Yes, good to see despite my reservations about their origin.

Thanks David. There are far too many unauthorised releases happening these days, it is happening with some moths too which is beginning to cast doubt on genuine records.
Yes, we struck lucky with the weather although dare I say we could have done with it a bit less hot on some days. Never happy are we :lol:

Dorset 11th – 18th June part 2.

Adonis Blues.

I have seen Adonis Blues in Dorset on numerous occasions over the years but these have always been of the second brood when we have been there in late August and early September and I have never seen the first brood down there. Checking the Dorset BC website showed that numbers appeared to be growing during the week prior to us going down so it appeared that this late season would work in our favour with a good chance of seeing some that would be in good condition. This indeed proved to be the case and over the week we saw hundreds varying from well-worn and faded to fresh out of the box. In fact, this was pretty much the theme with most of the species we saw which seemed to be emerging over a longer period than has usually been the case in recent years.

The first Adonis blues that we saw were when we stopped off at Compton Down. There were approx. 20-25 along the bridleway and similar numbers on the lower slopes although these numbers dwindled as they hunkered down in the grass when the bank of dark cloud came over.
Adonis Blue - Compton Down 11.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Compton Down 11.06.2021
Adonis Blue female - Compton Down 11.06.2021
Adonis Blue female - Compton Down 11.06.2021

The following day (Saturday 12th) was forecast to be a hot one so Chris and myself went for an early wander along the grassy slopes from just outside the holiday park, down to above the famous rock arch and around to the little valley with the wonderful name of Scratchy Bottom which runs inland between Durdle Door and Bats Head. We set out just turned 08.00am and it was already feeling quite warm and the slopes were shimmering with the movement of hundreds of butterflies, mostly Adonis Blues and Small Heath but also Common and Small Blues. Less obvious but equally numerous once you got your eye in were Dingy and Lulworth Skippers (more on these in the next report).
Looking down on Durdle Door early on Saturday morning.
Looking down on Durdle Door early on Saturday morning.
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
I was impressed with how blue some of the females were here with one individual being the bluest Adonis female I have ever seen. I wonder if these are following in the footsteps of Common Blue females with a higher incidence of blue females now showing up.
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
During the week we often had a wander along here, either before we went off elsewhere or later in the afternoon when we had returned to the caravan and we noticed that Adonis Blue numbers began to drop off from Tuesday (15th) onwards although some fresh looking ones could still be found.
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 16.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 16.06.2021
We also saw Adonis Blues at a number of other places including Bindon Hill, Durlston Country Park, and Tout Quarry on Portland but never in the numbers that we saw at Durdle Door on the Saturday morning.
Adonis Blue - Durlston Country Park 14.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Durlston Country Park 14.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Tout Quarry Portland 15.06.2021
Adonis Blue - Tout Quarry Portland 15.06.2021
I have previously visited Osmington for second brood Adonis Blues but we didn’t get around to going there until late on the Thursday (17th) afternoon and by then the weather was turning on us and it had gone dull and drizzly, but at least we missed the thunderstorms that they apparently had a bit further to the east. It was still fairly warm though and we did see a few butterflies but nothing we hadn’t seen in much greater numbers elsewhere and the visit was more to show Chris the area.

Silver-studded Blues.

Another species that we were hoping to see was Silver-studded Blue but up until going down on the Friday (11th) I had not seen any reported from Dorset so I wasn’t sure if we might be a bit early for them this year.

On the Monday (14th), after going into Swanage in the morning and then on to Durlston Country park, we carried on round to RSPB Arne in the afternoon. As Jane has a blue badge, we got a permit for the easy access car park further in the reserve and went for a walk through the woods on that side. Monday was a very hot day with temperatures up to 28 degrees but walking through the dappled shade of the woods was much more pleasant and comfortable than being out in the full sun.

We then returned to the main car park and while Jane and my mom stayed at the car to have a rest Chris and myself had a walk around Coombe Heath. We checked the pond for Raft Spiders without success but I am not sure if this is a good time of the year for them and if there were any they were possibly hiding in some shady spot out of the sun.
As we carried on around the path we saw a couple of Red Admirals and a single Painted Lady, all flying rapidly past us, and then further along we spotted a small blue butterfly flitting about above the heather, a fresh male Silver-studded Blue. He was very flighty and although he settled regularly he was reluctant to open up in the heat although eventually he made a brief effort.
Silver-studded Blue - Coombe Heath 14.06.2021
On the Wednesday (16th) we all spent a couple of hours in Lulworth Cove in the morning before the crowds built up and then in the afternoon Chris and myself went to Higher Hyde Heath. In previous years I had seen good numbers of SSBs reported from this Dorset Wildlife Trust site and as I had never been there before I thought it would be worth a look. This turned out to be a cracking site with a nice circular walk through woodland before coming out onto the heath itself where we soon spotted a fresh male Silver-studded Blue, quickly followed by another, then another. As we slowly wandered around we must have ended up seeing at least 50, all fresh males and all very flighty on what was another hot afternoon. At least this time there was a bit more cloud about which prompted them to open up a bit and give us the chance for some open wing shots.
Silver-studded Blue - Higher Hyde Heath 16.06.2021
Small Blues.

I have mentioned Small Blues a few times and these were flying nearly everywhere that we went although most of them were now well past their best. It was often difficult to tell them apart from equally worn and faded Brown Argus that they were usually flying alongside with until they settled and you could get a good look. Having said that there were a few that were still looking reasonable.
Small Blue - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Common Blues.

Around Durdle Door Common Blues were slightly lower in number than the Adonis but everywhere else they were more numerous. Like most other species they varied from really old and knackered looking through to nice and fresh.
Common Blue - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Common Blue - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
I mentioned Brown Argus above but as this report is already long enough I will include those in a later one.

Next up, some Skippers.

To be continued…

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Blues Neil, love the Adonis shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic breakdown by group Neil and some fantastic shots - that blue female Adonis - I've never seen one that blue :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) Really looking forward to the next report on the Skippers :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to read that continuation, Neil. I like the shot from the side of Durdle Door that many never see, not to mention the array of butterflies. However, that female bellargus is something exceptional. I've seen a few ceronus forms on the continent but your specimen puts them to shame!!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie. Glad you like them.

Cheers Wurzel. I almost took her for a male until she settled and I got a good look at her. Never seen none that blue myself either.

Thanks David. There were a lot of females around showing decent amounts of blue but she was certainly the standout example.

Dorset 11th – 18th June part 3.

Dingy Skippers.

I thought that we would probably see a Dingy Skipper or two during our week in Dorset but I was surprised at how many we ended up seeing. The highest numbers were seen around Durdle Door with them flying all over the grassy slopes above the arch and along Scratchy Bottom and up the opposite slope to Bats Head. Many of them were well faded and living up to their name but a fair number looked fresh and I would not be surprised if they were still emerging.
Dingy Skipper - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Dingy Skipper - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Dingy Skipper pair - Durdle Door 15.06.2021
Dingy Skipper pair - Durdle Door 15.06.2021

There were also saw a few up on Bindon Hill and also at Durlston and Tout Quarry.
Dingy Skipper - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021
Dingy Skipper - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021

Large Skippers.

I saw my first Large Skipper of the year on our Saturday morning walk around Durdle Door and unusually for me with this species it was a female.
Large Skipper female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Large Skipper female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
She was soon followed by a male with a couple more males being seen that morning.
Large Skipper male - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Large Skipper male - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
During the following week, they emerged in increasing numbers around Durdle Door and were also seen on Bindon Hill and Durlston.
Large Skipper and Chris on Bindon Hill - 13.06.2021
Large Skipper and Chris on Bindon Hill - 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skippers.

Dingy and Large Skippers are all well and good but being in this area at this time of year, they were not our primary targets. That of course was Lulworth Skippers and I am happy to say that we saw loads which Chris was especially chuffed with, these being another first for him.

This was another species that we first saw on our Saturday morning walk around Durdle Door and Scratchy Bottom. We saw that many that we gave up counting but there were easily 60-70 seen on that first morning and increasing numbers on our walks here during the week. Some of them were looking worn and faded with some of the males especially having that dark look that they have when they are getting old. There were plenty of nice fresh ones however and given the long flight period of this species they would still be emerging for a while yet.
Lulworth Skipper male - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper female - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper female - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper male - Durdle Door 15.06.2021
We also saw loads (50+) up on Bindon Hill when we walked there on the Sunday (13th) morning plus more on the far side of Lulworth Cove when Chris and myself walked around the beach to there on Wednesday (16th) morning.
Lulworth Skipper male - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper female - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper female - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Lots of courtship activity was seen with males chasing females into the grass but the ones that we saw all ended with the female giving the male the brush off.

These two pairs were seen on Bindon Hill on Sunday (13th) morning…
Scruffy male trying it on with a nice female - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Scruffy male trying it on with a nice female - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
This female had a better looking suitor but she was still not interested - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
This female had a better looking suitor but she was still not interested - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
…and this pair was at Durdle Door later that afternoon.
Lulworth Skipper pair - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Lulworth Skipper pair - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
A few were also seen at Durlston on the Tuesday (14th) but with this being a later site for these I don’t think they were really getting going there yet.

Still more stuff to come.

To be continued…

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was only saying to someone the other day that I had seen every species
the South has to offer. But of course I have never seen a Lulworth Skipper !.
Perhaps one day.
Great shots of them, and that fantastic ' blue ' female Adonis. I too have seen
' blue ' females similar to your other sightings, but that one is very unusual.

We just need to clear up this weather. We had a thunderstorm on Weds last week,
and have had grey gloom ever since, it improved yesterday, but raining again today.

Look forward to more reports, stay safe,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic collection Neil :D Stars of the show for me :D I'm always amazed about how many there are and also about how long their flight is 8) This year they were the easiest butterfly to see - I parked up in the Corfe Castle National Trust car park, walked over to the bank and there they were! :shock: 8)

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor. I am sure you will see them before long, they can't be that much further for you than Cotley Hill.

Cheers Wurzel. We passed through Corfe Castle a couple of times but the car park looked busy and by then we had already seen loads of Lulworths so we didn't stop.

Dorset 11th – 18th June part 4.

That first Saturday morning wander across the downs between Durdle Door and Scratchy Bottom also produced a few other species including half a dozen male Wall Browns, four of which were contesting one stretch of path just a few yards long. Two of them were really ragged looking but the other two were in better condition albeit still a bit worn.
Wall Brown - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
A couple also showed up on Bindon Hill with these also being well raggedy looking, the tail end of the first brood I assume.

Brown Argus were also flying there and these turned up all week, not in great numbers but half a dozen or so each time. These were also mostly worn and faded with a few in better condition even if still a bit past their best.
Brown Argus - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Brown Argus - Durdle Door 15.06.2021
There were similar numbers on Bindon Hill plus a couple were also seen at Durlston Country Park.

I also saw my first Meadow Brown of 2021 on the Saturday morning when we saw two fresh males. During the week these emerged in increasing numbers until by Wednesday there were a few dozen flying. These were all males which were either non-stop or settled low down in the grass and I failed to get a single decent photo, although I did get a few poor record shots which I won’t embarrass myself by posting here.

Red Admirals and Painted Ladies appeared in ones and twos just about everywhere we went during the week with most of them seen flying in from the sea. Like everything else they were very flighty in the heat and usually only gave the opportunity for a quick shot from a distance which I have cropped a fair bit to post on here.
Red Admiral - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021
Red Admiral - Tout Quarry 15.06.2021
Painted Lady - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Painted Lady - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
One Painted Lady flew past me whilst I was watching the Silver-studded Blue on Coombe Heath. I spotted where it went down and managed to grab a shot before it was off again and I returned my attention to the SSB.
Painted Lady - Coombe Heath 14.06.2021
Painted Lady - Coombe Heath 14.06.2021
The Red Admiral below plonked down on the pavement right in front of us on Swanage sea front and I just had time to reach for the camera and grab the one shot before it was disturbed by other pedestrians and took off along the front.
Red Admiral - Swanage 14.06.2021
Red Admiral - Swanage 14.06.2021
A grand total of three Small Coppers were seen, two at Durlston and one at Durdle Door. They were all tired and faded with the one below being about the best of the trio.
Small Copper - Durlston 14.06.2021
Small Copper - Durlston 14.06.2021
Speckled Woods were seen on most days with one or two fresh looking males showing up anywhere there was a hedgerow or a line of trees.

Small Heaths were everywhere around Durdle Door with a good number also seen on Bindon Hill and a few at Durlston.

A few whites were also seen with at least one a definite Large White plus a couple of confirmed Small Whites.

As well as the butterflies, a few interesting moths were seen. These included good numbers of Yellow Belle around Durdle Door where we also saw a few Wood Tiger Moths.
Yellow Belle - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Yellow Belle - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Wood Tiger Moth - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Wood Tiger Moth - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
These slopes were also alive with Burnet Moths which were a mixture of Six-spot and Five-spot. At least I believe that the ones that we saw were Five-spot and not the nearly identical Narrow-bordered Five-spot due to the number of variations that I saw which are quite common in the former species and rarer in the latter. The best of these was the form with conjoined spots which I saw later on the afternoon of the Sunday (13th).
Five-spot Burnet Moth - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Five-spot Burnet Moth - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Our visit to Higher Hyde Heath on the Wednesday (16th) turned up an example of the cracking little micro Alabonia geoffrella, often commonly called ‘Geoff’ which was a first for both myself and Chris.
Alabonia geoffrella - Higher Hyde Heath 16.06.2021
Alabonia geoffrella - Higher Hyde Heath 16.06.2021
One more report left to finish off with some miscellaneous stuff.

To be continued…

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Dorset 11th – 18th June part 5.

Every time we went for a wander around Durdle Door and Scratchy Bottom we were treated to Skylarks singing away high above us. Every now and then we would see one on the ground or perched on a shrub and I eventually managed to sneak up a bit closer to one of them to get a photo.
Skylark - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Skylark - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Other birds seen around there included Yellowhammers, Stonechats and Wheatears.
Yellowhammer - Scratchy Bottom 12.06.2021
Yellowhammer - Scratchy Bottom 12.06.2021
Wheatear - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Wheatear - Durdle Door 13.06.2021
Stonechat - Lulworth Cove 16.06.2021
Stonechat - Lulworth Cove 16.06.2021
There was often a Kestrel or two to be seen but, like the Skylarks, usually hovering too high up or far away to bother trying for a photo.

A couple of groups of Guillemots were seen along the cliffs at Durlston.
Guillemots - Durlston 14.06.2021
Guillemots - Durlston 14.06.2021
Lots of Dragonflies and Damselflies were flying around the pond on Coombe Heath including an Emperor Dragonfly that settled long enough for me to get a shot.
Emperor Dragonfly - Coombe Heath 14.06.2021
Emperor Dragonfly - Coombe Heath 14.06.2021
I have mentioned Scratchy Bottom a few times so thought I had better post a habitat shot of this small valley that runs inland between Durdle Door and Bats Head just to the west.
Looking inland along Scratchy Bottom 15.06.2021
Looking inland along Scratchy Bottom 15.06.2021
There were lots of orchids amongst the short sward on these slopes, most of which I think were Pyramidal Orchids but as I am not too clued up on these I could be wrong.
Pyramidal Orchid - Durdle Door 16.06.2021
Pyramidal Orchid - Durdle Door 16.06.2021
One orchid that is easy enough for me to identify is the Bee Orchid and we were surprised at how many we saw here. The west side of Scratchy Bottom must have contained dozens spread across the grassy slope.
Bee Orchid - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Bee Orchid - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Bee Orchids - Scratchy Bottom 15.06.2021
Chris and myself walked into Lulworth Cove a couple of times, heading there across the normal path across Hambury Tout but returning via the easier footpath that runs behind the hill. This path is much easier, especially on my old legs after wandering around on Bindon Hill for a couple of hours.
Looking down on West Lulworth from Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Looking down on West Lulworth from Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Looking across Lulworth Cove 16.06.2021
Looking across Lulworth Cove 16.06.2021
Looking towards West Lulworth along the path less travelled
Looking towards West Lulworth along the path less travelled
In the photo below, the usual path can be seen in the top left. The easier path goes past the farm and then runs behind the hill.
Hambury Tout from Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Hambury Tout from Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Of course, staying at Durdle Door, it is mandatory to take some photos of the famous arch.
Durdle Door in the early evening sun 13.06.2021
Durdle Door in the early evening sun 13.06.2021
An evening view towards Portland with one of four cruise ships that were still anchored in the bay.
An evening view towards Portland with one of four cruise ships that were still anchored in the bay.
And finally, one looking the other way across Man O’War Beach.
Looking across Mon O'War Beach 15.06.2021
Looking across Mon O'War Beach 15.06.2021
That’s it from Dorset. We certainly struck lucky with the weather, especially looking at what it has been like since our return. After arriving late on Friday afternoon (11th), the first four days were scorchers with clear blue skies and temperatures in the high twenties, although that did make taking photos of the butterflies a challenge. With the sun coming up around 4.00am at this time of year, by 8.00am most things were fully warmed up so it was a case of trying for quick snap shots most of the time. The harsh light also made getting the exposure right a bit tricky so all things considered both Chris and myself were happy with most of the photos that we got. Chris especially since he had seen and photographed four species of butterfly for the first time (Glanville Fritillary, Adonis, Blue, Lulworth Skipper and Wall Brown).

Wednesday (16th) started off a bit cooler and cloudier but by the afternoon had turned into another very warm day. We finally saw a bit of rain on Wednesday night, but not much and it didn't last long. Thursday was again dry with some warm sunny spells later in the morning before the clouds built up during the afternoon to give us some drizzle around 4.00pm. Heavier rain blew in during Thursday evening and it then rained all night and all day on Friday, but we were heading home Friday morning and weren’t really bothered.

All in all, a fantastic week in which Dorset really delivered.

By now and stay safe,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of Lulworth Cove Neil, it's a while since I've been there but I recognised every shot :D I want to go there again some time :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Tremendous stuff, Neil. Love the vistas in that last post and you sure earned the largely excellent conditions after the wind and rain in Cornwall the previous month.

Am I the only one pleased to finally know what Scratchy Bottom actually looks like? :lol:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie. That part of Dorset is one of my favourite parts of the country and I hope to return many times yet.

Thanks David. Especially for you, and anyone else that likes to see habitat shots, here are a couple more views of Scratchy Bottom.
Looking across Scratchy Bottom towards Bats Head with Chris wandering around.
Looking across Scratchy Bottom towards Bats Head with Chris wandering around.
Another view looking inland.
Another view looking inland.
The area of the slope that had lots of Bee Orchids.
The area of the slope that had lots of Bee Orchids.
That really is it from Dorset now.

Cheers,

Neil
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've obviously had a wonderful time Neil and both the butterflies and scenery you have posted have been amazing. I'd love to go back there but you can't really do it justice in a couple of hours, can you?:(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant end to the report Neil - the reports from your visits always make me a little homesick - but in a good way :D I was very impressed to see so many Bee Orchids a sight I've not seen before 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm...Looking across Scratchy Bottom towards Bats Head
:lol: Almost Pythonesque, Neil.

It actually looks a rather windswept and bleak expanse of landscape.

I expect there will be Glanville Frits flying there before too long! :?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. yes, we had a wonderful time :D
Pauline wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:16 pm...I'd love to go back there but you can't really do it justice in a couple of hours, can you?:(...
I suppose it depends on how far you have to travel but a couple of hours on somewhere like Bindon Hill could be worthwhile, although I always think you need a few days to really do the whole area justice.

Cheers Wurzel. Sorry about making you (home)sick :wink:
Wurzel wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 pm...I was very impressed to see so many Bee Orchids a sight I've not seen before 8) :mrgreen: ...
I've never seen so many in one place before either. We were pleased to find a few lower down the slope and were amazed when we moved higher up the path :shock: :D .

Thanks David. There are some wonderful names out there in our countryside :lol: .
David M wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 pm...It actually looks a rather windswept and bleak expanse of landscape...
Yes, it can look like that, especially when the weather turns, but I actually find that area to be more productive than the better known Bindon Hill.

I suppose Glanvilles can turn up almost anywhere these days but I hope not. I am getting a bit fed up of seeing stuff reported from places where they really should not be.

Wednesday23rd June part 1.

There are two other species of butterfly that we might have expected see down in Dorset but in this generally late season we were just that little bit early for them this year, these being Dark Green Fritillary and Marbled White.
Since returning home I have seen that the first of these were indeed reported whilst we were down there, both on June 14th according to the Dorset BC website but I see there are still no sightings from around the area of Durdle Door or Lulworth. Ironically both species were reported slightly earlier back home in Warwickshire with DGF on 11th and Marbled White on 12th.

Anyway, I figured I would try and catch up with both of these this week and Wednesday (23rd) looked to be my best bet with a day of warm and sunny weather in a week that was otherwise dull, cloudy and quite cool for this time of year.

So it was that we set out for Bishops Hill and Harbury Spoilbank on Wednesday morning and with clear blue skies I decided to head for Harbury first before carrying on to Bishops Hill afterwards. I normally do these two sites the other way round but with Harbury being the better bet for DGF I aimed to get there before it warmed up later in the morning.
We left home just after 09.00 to avoid the worst of the school run traffic around Solihull and arrived at Harbury 45 minutes later with 17 degrees showing on my car display.

This site is a bit rough for Jane to manage with no proper paths so she stayed in the car reading a book while I went to have a look. I had only gone a few yards through the gate when I spotted the bright orange shape of a DGF flitting about from flower to flower on some hawkweed and during the next hour I saw maybe 25 to 30. They were mostly fairly fresh looking males although some of them were showing some wear around the fringes and a couple had tears and damage on their wings. They were already quite active but most were stopping occasionally to feed or bask for short periods.
Dark Green Fritillary - Harbury 23.06.2021
I saw just one female, a nice individual that looked like she had only been out for a day or two.
Dark Green Fritillary female - Harbury 23.06.2021
Dark Green Fritillary female - Harbury 23.06.2021
Dark Green Fritillary female- Harbury 23.06.2021
Dark Green Fritillary female- Harbury 23.06.2021
I was pleased to also find some Marbled Whites flying here with about 20 seen plus half a dozen new summer Small Tortoiseshells.
Marbled White - Harbury 23.06.2021
Marbled White - Harbury 23.06.2021
Small Tortoiseshell - Harbury 23.06.2021
Small Tortoiseshell - Harbury 23.06.2021
A few Meadow Browns were also bobbing about and on my way back to the car I was surprised to find a Grizzled Skipper still hanging on (sorry Goldie), or maybe not so surprising given how this season has been going. I only managed the one record shot before it was off and despite lurking around for a few minutes I couldn’t find it again.
Grizzled Skipper - Harbury 23.06.2021
Grizzled Skipper - Harbury 23.06.2021
I then returned to Jane and we carried on to Bishops Hill.

To be continued…

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

How can you do this to me Neil? :cry: :wink: Lovely images.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just catching up with your adventures, that female DGF is a stunner :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That dusky looking DGF is brilliant Neil - I love finding ones like that - they could almost be a different species :D 8) Good to see the Grizzlies hanging on up your way as well - I saw a battered one that was a bit worse off than that at Daneways which was odd as normally it's Large Blues and Small Skippers not Grzzlies :D

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”