Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Malling Down and Iping Common

Post by Katrina »

On Saturday I had a short trip to Malling Down inbetween a hairdressing appointment and lunch with a friend. I saw Cardinal Beetles ,Dingy Skippers, Small Heaths, a Green-Veined White, an Orange-tip and a pair of Common Blues.
On Wednesday I went late afternoon to Iping Common for an hour hoping to see the Silver-Studded Blues. It was intensely hot and sadly I didn't find any but there were plenty of dragonflies around.
Attachments
DSC01308.jpg
DSC01254.jpg
DSC01284.jpg

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Re: Katrina

Post by Gary.N »

Lovely Shot of the Blues Katrina. :D :D :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Gary. The grass is a bit more in focus than the butterflies unfortunately, but on the other hand the male was a bit worn so looked better from the front than the shots after he swivelled into the more standard position.

Katrina

Iping Common

Post by Katrina »

I went to Iping and Stedham Common early today. I saw only one white moth then retreated first to my car and then to Pulborough Brooks due to bad weather. At Pulborough Brooks I saw baby newts in the pond by the visitor centre. I returned later in the morning to Iping. A short period of white clouds,brought out eight male Silver-studded Blues. I had a look at Stedham Common but by then there was intermittent drizzle and dark grey skies again and I saw no butterflies.
Attachments
DSC01330.jpg
DSC01391.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Silver-stud Katrina :D Hopefully the weather will pick up and then we can really enjoy them, they're at their best on balmy evenings with the smell of Gorse drifting across the Heather :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel, yes lets hope for better weather!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Mid morning I went to Chantry Hill and then spent half an hour at Kithurst. The weather was mixed sunshine and showers with a blustery wind.
At Chantry I saw 13 Small Heaths, 5 Common Blues including a mating pair, 4 Large Skippers, 4 Brown Argus and a Meadow Brown. Also thanks to a couple I met who pointed me in the right direction one Painted Lady. There was also a Burnet Companion moth and a Cinnabar moth.
At Kithurst I saw 3 Small Blues, some Small Heaths, a Meadow Brown, a Common Blue and a Small Tortoiseshell.
Attachments
DSC01458.jpg
DSC01477.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thats a beautifully composed Small Tort shot :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed cracking compostion as Bugboy says - there's something about it, I think it's the way you're drawn in looking at it being almost being symmetrical but then the Small Tort jars that and then that's all you can see - brill :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Bugboy and Wurzel. I have to confess it was more a well cropped photo than composed.

Katrina

Wet Wednesday Wishes

Post by Katrina »

I went to Chantry this morning getting up too late for dawn. The weather forecast was not promising and the actual weather somewhat worse. The permanent mist reminded me of a holiday in Shetland a few years ago. The one thing that was in abundance was wildflowers. There were also many small brown/white moths. I found myself wishing for a single butterfly and eventually found a Small Heath followed by a yellow moth (yellow shell I think) a Large Skipper and 2 Meadow Browns.
Attachments
DSC01490.JPG
DSC01487.jpg
DSC01528.jpg
DSC01545.jpg
DSC01550.jpg
DSC01560.JPG
DSC01588.jpg

Katrina

Black Hairstreaks

Post by Katrina »

My sister and I went to Monks Wood to try and see Black Hairstreaks for the first time. We had a brilliant time. There was plenty of mud and flies but also plenty of interesting wildlife. Initially we found numerous bees and hoverflies. We found a variety of habitats including 2 fields and a ride. We saw Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skippers, Speckled Woods a Blackneck moth and a deer. We then found seven Black Hairstreaks flying well above head height. We also met Rosalyn and Phil who extremely kindly found a female at perfect height for us. Thank you so much it will be a highlight of my butterfly year! Later my sister found a female egg laying at head height. On the way back to the car we also saw a probable Holly Blue, a Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral. Then just as I was looking in my bag for the car key my sister found another Black Hairstreak nectaring in the car park less than 2m from the car. We then looked a bit closer round the car park and found a Marbled White which was my first of the year.
Attachments
DSC01628.jpg
DSC01640.jpg
DSC01738.jpg
DSC01741.jpg
DSC01765.jpg
DSC01817.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Karina - a species I've still to encounter :mrgreen: Spot on ID of the Yellow Shell too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lucky Girl !! A couple of Black Hairstreaks and lovely photo's to come home with.
Like Wurzel I've never seen one. :mrgreen: :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your pictures are too much temptation for me. Think I'm gonna have to have another go at Black Hairstreaks at Monks wood next week (this time I'll remember the insect repellent!) but as has become the norm this year it looks like the best day of the week is one I'm working!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you for the ID confirmation Wurzel.
Thanks Trevor, I am feeling we were lucky.
Bugboy, I think it's definitely worth another go. We think we saw at least 11 Black Hairstreaks although mainly they were flitting up high and landing either out of sight or behind lots of branches.

peterc

Post by peterc »

Well done on finding the Black Hairstreaks at Monks Wood, Katrina. I was thinking of going there myself yesterday but instead went to nearby Brampton Wood where the species is also found. 10-12 people were there looking for it between about 1230 and 1430 hours but only the odd one was seen high up by two people.

I had seen it at Glapthorn Cow Pastures about 5 years ago but that was one of my lucky days :)

ATB

Peter

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

It was nice to meet you both. We try not to let anyone to go away disappointed and Phil does seem to have the knack of spotting them hiding in the low branches. I think they are used to him and come to say hello :wink:

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Peter, we considered Brampton Wood but went for Monks Wood in the end . We were there from about 9am until 3pm in the end (as ever staying longer than planned).
Many thanks again Rosalyn, it was extraordinarily kind of you and Phil.

Katrina

Nearly Dawn Warming Worn DGF

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Chantry hoping to see roosting Marbled Whites. I had difficulty finding any roosting butterflies but later a lot of Meadow Browns appeared followed by Large Skippers, Ringlets, a few Small Heaths, a worn DGF, a second DGF and then 2 active Marbled Whites and a Small Tortoiseshell.
Attachments
DSC01828.JPG
DSC01833.JPG
DSC01881.jpg
DSC01919.jpg
DSC01969.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”