Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Debbie, I'll get back to you shortly, I've been busy in the garden taking shots of Peacock's Small Tortoiseshell's Gate Keeper's, even a very small Skipper that I want an ID for, it's a first in my garden for that species.

I've seen so many Small Whites I've lost count all in pristine condition, Large Whites as well, so I've been trying out the different modes on my camera.

I went up to GB on 21st July and I took these photo's of what I thought was a Northern Brown Argus but it seems I've just got the Brown Argus and a bit worn at that, still, I liked the shot's :D

I think your probably right about what I saw being a moth Neil, I saw more Moth's than I did Butterflies the two weeks I was there. I did see a lot of Common Blues at Temple Ewell, also a Wall, which I wouldn't have expected to see there because the grass was so long. They seem to enjoy sandy Paths etc. Any way we've been invited down to house sit in August so maybe I'll catch a glimpse of a Chalkhill or an Adonis while there.Goldie :D
Attachments
Small White On Take Off 29th July 2013 SG IMG_2420.JPG
Peacock BG 27th July 2013 IMG_2361.JPG
Brown Argus GB 21st July 2013 IMG_2225.JPG
Brown Argus 21st July GB 2013 IMG_2228.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Goldie,

All Brown Argus at Gait Barrows are Northern Brown Argus of the sub-species salmacis. The white spot on the forewing is associated with the other sub-species artaxerxes, which has a more northerly distribution.

Could you confirm the location of your recent Skipper sighting please, as this may help to rule out Essex Skipper.

Vince

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Any way we've been invited down to house sit in August so maybe I'll catch a glimpse of a Chalkhill or an Adonis while there.Goldie :D
And don't forget Silver Spotted Skipper also at Lydden (Temple Ewell) in August. Last year in the first field was a good showing of Autumn Gentain and Autumn Ladies Tresses as you looked for SSS.
Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Vince, thanks for the information I can call my Butterfly Northern now :D

My Skipper photo was taken in my side garden location SD 656 065 if that helps at all.

Hi! Dave, I'll certainly look for the Silver Spotted Skipper, if I see one it will be a first for me. I also want to go to East Blean Wood to look for the Purple Hair Streak, if it's not too late, that also would be a first. Can't wait! Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

August set off good for me, we decided to go to Southport Dunes last Thursday and what a surprise I got . It wasn't so much the Butterflies that were unusual than the huge numbers on the Sea Holly . Burnett's for instance were there in huge numbers also Meadow Brown's, I counted at least 20 MB on one Sea Holly.

We also saw PC's, STS, Skipper, Graylings, Gate Keeper's ,Common Blue and the usual Whites, I want to go again to Ainsdale this time I'm still looking for my first Small Copper. Goldie :D
Attachments
Common Blue SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2449.JPG
Meadow Brown's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2446.JPG
Meadow Brown's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2451.JPG
Meadow Brown's & Burnett's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2441.JPG
Meadow Brown's & Burnett's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2440.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At last I got a Photo of a Scotch Argus, not without a few bites from the mosquitoes up there on Arnside Knot :D

The weather was cloudy but not too hot for a good walk, which was good. When I found them I was so pleased but none of them flew very close choosing the Bracken which was surrounded by prickly Black Berries, thank goodness for the two camera's I could zoom in with the Bridge Camera and if one did come closer the other one would be ok.
Any way the truth is I was more intent on trying to get some sort of shot to worry too much about what I was doing, not good I know but it was my first Scotch Argus :D
So I'm so pleased to have seen One at last I like the 1st one even if it's got a snip out of it's wing Goldie :D
Attachments
Scotch Argus ASK 6th August 2013 RSCN2012.JPG
Scotch Argus ASK 6th August 2013 IMG_2535.JPG
Scotch Argus AK 6th August 2013 DSCN2007.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Last Tuesday I went to Southport, we went passed the Park where they hold the flower show down the road that runs passed the Bus station, park on our left BS on our right it's a cul-de-sac at the end but you can turn car's round easily near the Caravan Club's car Park. We go there every year at this time hoping to find Graylings, Small Copper's etc, and we were not dissapointed I got shots of both, what did supprise me was the Wall Brown that landed in front of me wings open.

I'd never seen one properly before with it's wings open and I managed a photo, couldn't believe my luck :D

We moved on then further down the coast road until we came to the Holiday Camp, at the roundabout we took a right turn that goes towards the beech, we didn't drive onto the beech but pulled into the Pub Car Park which is also a coastal path through the dunes down to the beech. ( If any one is interested in Natter-Jack- Toads it's one of the places to go) :D

In there we found the Common Blues, Small Heath, Gate Keeper's, Graylings etc, but my attention was taken by a Six Spot Burnett, and a rather colourful insect, one I'd not seen before but I'm curious now to know what it's called :?:

Any way i'm off in search of Silver Spotted Skipper's on Sunday :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Common Blue On Blackberries 13th August 2013 SPD IMG_2599.JPG
Wall Brown 13th August 2013 SPD IMG_2622.JPG
Six Spot Burnett & Friend 13th August 2013 SPD IMG_2623.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up other your PD Goldie, I keep missing it as we post at different times. One great shots and reports especially the Wall - it's great when things just drop in front of you :D Good luck with the Silver Spots!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Congratulations on your Wall Brown photo Goldie :D

I remember you posting before about your frustration at seeing them but not being able to get close enough. They do have a particular habit of being able to stay just out of range sometimes.

All the best,

Neil F.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Goldie,
You probably already realise, but if your going to Lydden for Silver Spotted Skipper on Sunday then you will be less than 6 miles from the newly found Long Tailed Blues near Kingsdown. There is directions on UKB for this species if you do go. Every one is seeing Marbled Whites and a few Clouded Yellows on the walk from the Monument at St Margarets (where you park). A few people have also seen Small Blue at the same spot as the Long Tailed Blues. Having come such a long distance it may be worth considering this option whilst you are in Kent.

Best wishes if you go.
Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Oh! dear Dave, I missed your posting about the Long Tailed Blues and by the time I found out about them, they'd gone, well I couldn't find them.
I walked all along the path from ST Margaret's and I was due to leave the day after, any way I got my consolation prize really the Silver Spotted Skipper :D

I also saw some more Wall Neill and Wuzal I was really pleased, it was at St Margarets Dave , we just stood there whilst they flew from flower to flower loads of them they loved the Wild Thyme I tried my best to get good pic's but I think they were all too quick for us, :D

I did get the Chalkhill Blues and Adonis also to my suprise there were loads of Clouded Yellow this was at Temple Ewell Dave when I got the SSSkipper. We went up to the top field where the grass was much shorter, the Skipper's were there also the CHB ,the Adonis were much lower down the slope where it was more sheltered
and much hotter, it was what you'd call a real field day. :lol:
The Clouded Yellow just kept drifting down hill then zig zagging every where, if they landed near by you'd to be pretty quick to get a shot. I put the new camera into action and took three quick shots before one flew a way, I managed to get one just as it opened it's wings to fly off :D

I took some shots of two female butterflies, I know one is Chalkhill Blue I'm not sure if the other one is an Adonis though, I've Posted the one I'm not sure about so I could use a little help on that one please Goldie :D
Attachments
Siver Spotted Skipper TEW 20th August 2013 IMG_2708.jpg
Silver Spotted Skipper TEW 26th August 2013 IMG_2771.JPG
Clouded Yellow TEW 28th August 2013 IMG_2854.JPG
Chlkhill Blues Mating 28th August 2013 TEW IMG_2890.JPG
Adonis TEW 28th August 2013 IMG_2865.JPG
Adonis Female TEW 20th August 2013 IMG_2685.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, I'm really pleased to see that you did so well at Temple Ewell - it's a lovely place and sometimes feels like Butterfly Paradise! They really look after butterflies (and butterfly lovers) there, don't they?!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Goldie, great shots and report (Cloudie with open wings :mrgreen: ) :D I would go for female Chalkhill as it seems to have white rather than blue edges to the lunules on the hind wings, also it seems a bit older :? However having said that I await the chop :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I agree with female Chalkill, for the reasons that Wurzel gives.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, looks like you had a good time in Kent, great reports and photo :D

I spent half of last week trying to get an open wing Clouded Yellow photo without success, nice one :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody, I really enjoyed myself there. I took lots of shots of female blues they all seemed darker than the one I posted that's why I wasn't sure, like you say this Female CHB must have been out sooner than the other's.

The man who told me about the Long Tailed Blues had actually got shots of them, he was at Temple Ewell when I was. He said he talked to a man at St Margaret's who was an expert on Butterflies and he'd got shots of them laying eggs, so he told the man I was talking to, to go back there in October.

I thought it worth mentioning , I won't be down there but some of you might, so it might be worth taking a look . Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice stuff Goldie, great report and photos from Kent, love the CY with wings open :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Mike, yes! I'd a great time :D Goldie

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The weather as been awful here for three days now, so cold, I should think a lot of Butterflies have decided to call it a day and hibernate.

Last Friday I happened to go into Curry's and I saw this Sigma lens 70-300mm , since it would fit my camera I was interested and wanted to see what it could do, I was impressed with it's long range and the fact it could bring photo's up so close. Between 200mm and 300mm you can switch it to Micro close ups I was more surprised when the man said the price was £99 of course I couldn't resist and bought it :lol: Yes! my husband was with me and gave me the go a head :lol: Like every thing else I do it was a bit impulsive and I will have to get used to the distances, but what the heck it's going to be great trying it out on the birds this winter :D

On Saturday the 14th Sept the weather was really warm here and we had lot's of Butterflies which was great to try out the new lens, it took me a while to read what instructions there were, but finally I got a few shot's. Woody are resident Wood Pigeon posed for me, I hope the Butterfly shot's are not the last of the season around here I'm still hoping to see some Red Admiral's fingers crossed they say it could be warmer this weekend Goldie :D
Attachments
Woody BG 14th Sept 2013 IMG_3025.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell BG 14th Sept 2013 IMG_3050.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell BG 14th Sept 2013 IMG_3032.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell BG 14th Sept 2013 IMG_3022.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell BG 14th Sept 2013 IMG_3012.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You were lucky with the weather great shots :D Here's hoping the weathermen get it right about the weekend :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”