Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

That’s a good analogy Wurzel. Speaking of the LTB’s, here’s another pre-curser to the main event (which, speaking from one laggard to another, is still several posts away :wink: )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 2022

Friday 26th. Another half day from work meant another trip down to Whitehawk Hill. It was another warm sunny day but not so hot as to keep the LTB’s wings closed this time. When I arrived there were two in attendance, plus Trevor. Neither of the Blues was perfect but one was still blue. The other was more of a Long-tailed Grey but if it caught the light at the right angle it did exhibit a subtle opalescence on its near scaleless wings, although the camera didn’t do a particularly good job at picking this feature up.
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
Trevor mentioned another enthusiast had been here earlier in the day and had found an egg. I had a look and if it was the same one, then unfortunately it wasn’t a LTB egg, most likely that of a Pea moth.
Not sure what the yellow blob is.
Not sure what the yellow blob is.
Anyway, Trevor bid me farewell and about half an hour later a female LTB dropped in, sat and gave me a variety of poses for a few minutes before vanishing again.
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
Along with the main star of the show there was the usual set of co-stars: Common Blues, Whites and Red Admirals. One of the latter, although impossible to show in the images without making it sit on a ruler, was noticeably small, comparable with a Small Tortoiseshell, most likely it suffered as a caterpillar during the drought.
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
Of course, things were set to get much better!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Been looking forward to this sequence of visits, Paul. Your 'Long Tailed Grey' is aptly named. This species spends so much time engaging in dogfights that it's hardly surprising the colours fade so much.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another nice LTB curtain-raiser, Paul. :) I remember you texting me about these while I was still somewhat indisposed and hoping that worn examples now might mean fresh ones later one - which luckily came to pass. :) I saw a couple of undersized Red Admirals at the end of August too, but since the nettles recovered big time once it had rained, they are all back to normal now.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I’ve still got another pre-curser awaiting in the wings David, if I’d have known what was going to happen in just a few weeks’ time, I’d have saved myself a few hikes up that hill, it is a steep climb up from Brighton station!
Thanks Dave, I’m glad you were able to enjoy them for that one day, a very social event it was too :)

September 2022

Saturday 3rd. A day down in Sussex beckoned, first stop being Mill Hill. I still hadn’t had a decent Adonis encounter this year and after barely scraping single figures at Denbies I figured I’d go further afield for one final attempt this year. There were more at Mill Hill, including some fresh ones but not masses of them and they proved to be difficult to get close to, the breezy conditions not helping my cause.
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
Numerous Meadow Browns, Small Heath and Common Blues were also active along with two or three Clouded Yellows doing non stop circuits.
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
My final chance was Anchor Bottom, although after reading that site had suffered from over grazing, I wasn’t holding my breath. Being more exposed the wind was a right pain and it had become quite overcast, but a few were tempted to open their wings.
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
Given the weather conditions I was surprised to find a couple of Walls active too, a female was a bit skittish, but a male was more willing to pose, probably hoping it’s camouflage was keeping it more hidden than it was, although it did work really well on a dried cowpat!
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
A quick wander back through Mill Hill got me a nice female Adonis but I’d planned to visit Southwick Harbour on the off chance of finding anything interesting. However it was a bit barren, a couple of Cloudies and a single Common Blue was all I came across.
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG
I had enough time for one final wander around Mill Hill, where I found the late afternoon had quelled the Common Blues usual bickering and the Cloudies were now seeking out roosting spots.
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG
Quite a successful day in the end :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some very nice Adonis Blue shots, Paul.
You've managed to capture a hint of ' electric ' blue too, something a lot of cameras struggle with.
Sussex has been good to you this year!

Take care,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some good late summer sightings from Mill Hill, Paul - that's exactly one of the trips I missed making this year: Walls, Cloudies and Adonis all in one spot. :) It's a shame Southwick wasn't so good this year though.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Trevor, Sussex has indeed been good, and I haven’t even reached the finale yet!
Thanks Dave, I’ve just realised those first two pics were actually at Anchor Bottom, and I think the Cloudie qualifies as a named ab. on account of it missing the smaller discoidal spot on the hindwing, ab. neideicki apparently.

September 2022

Sunday 4th. Just a couple of hours at Bookham in the afternoon, still in the hope of a Brown Hairstreak visitation. The closest I got was a single egg.
IMG_0015.JPG
Other butterflies weren’t particularly numerous and certainly nothing unexpected. I was a little surprised not to see any Comma or Red Admiral though. The few Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown all looked rather world weary.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
A few Small Copper were about, the first two photographed had quite prominent tails, ab typica-caudata, the third I found may also have had them but were probably in a bird's tummy now!
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
A fresh female Holly Blue provided the only other notable encounter.
IMG_0038.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

September 2022

Wednesday 7th. A half day so of course I was on a hill overlooking Brighton, hoping some fresh emergents would grace me with their presence (hindsight would tell me I was about 10 days early!) Again I had the place to myself but today I’d thought initially I’d pushed my luck a bit too far. It was decidedly overcast when I arrived but thankfully there was a southerly wind, and the cloud was soon blown inland leaving me with a clear blue sky. The first one actually showed up before the sun appeared and spent a bit of time buzzing around the BLEP. He was in reasonable nick, my guess around 3 or 4 days judging by the wear and tear on him.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
When the sun arrived, I wandered over to the lekking area close to the path and communication tower created by Neil and Max. Here I found a second male, a little more battle worn and with a ‘pinched’ forewing, no doubt damaged at emergence. Very briefly a third male made an appearance, this one very worn and probably well into its second week of life if not third!
IMG_0113.JPG
He was very quickly seen off by the resident male and wasn’t knowingly seen again. I stayed here and watched the unfolding dynamics unfold for the next couple of hours. The second one seen (lets call him Pinchy) was the dominant one at this lekking spot and in-between basking would patrol the outskirts and regularly shoot skyward locking in battle with another that had been secreted in the surrounding grass. Nine times out of ten it would be Pinchy that would return to bask and survey his kingdom.
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
Common Blues would also be lurking around the edges and these too were not tolerated. Unlike LTB’s they would refuse to go skyward but it was interesting to watch the LTB try and force the CB up. I did get the impression that the CB’s weren’t fully committed to each short battle and saw the LTB more as an annoyance than a rival.
IMG_0231.JPG
There was also a Small Copper which would occasionally become embroiled in these skirmishes but was on the whole tolerated.
IMG_0148.JPG
Also lurking at the rear of the lek was a very handsome Wasp Spider. I decided to relocate her further back into the longer grass.
IMG_0220.JPG
Occasionally Pinchy would go MIA and he would very quickly be replaced by the first one (Nicky, due to the nick in the hindwing). I'm presuming Pinchy would be off feeding during Nicky’s short lived reigns. Pinchy would invariably return after a while and reclaim his kingdom.
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
All action stopped shortly after 5pm. I’m presuming the angle of the sun to the horizon was the alarm clock since it was still very warm.

Of course, things were set to get much better!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great set of LTBs Bugboy - I'd have been happy with any of those shots myself but as I have an inkling of what's to come my rations will only allow a single :mrgreen: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like a soap opera with those LTBs, Paul. :) They must be fascinating to watch with their pugilistic antics.

No wonder you made several journeys. I'm looking forward to the fresh ones that followed.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I bet that wasp spider snuck back after you'd gone, Paul. They are such splendid beasts it's hard to deny them a tasty butterfly meal, but maybe you have to make an exception for LTBs. :) Though I've seen lots of Chalkhills in wasp spider webs at Denbies, I'm told their particular favourites are grasshoppers.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, nearly there now and you can feel free to fling them around willy nilly :lol: !
Thanks David. It was fascinating, and after a while their routine became quite predictable. Had I known what was waiting for me round the corner I probably wouldn’t have made so many hikes up that hill, it is a steep climb, particularly when the temps were regularly hitting 30+ degrees!
You’re right Dave, they do specialize in grasshoppers which is why they generally spin their webs low down in long grass, where their favoured victim is most easily snared. They also wrap their prey up before biting, unlike other orb weavers, so as to immobilise the prey before getting too close, a kick from a large grasshoppers hindleg could prove fatal!

September 2022

Saturday 17th. Had I not pre-booked my train tickets for today, I would likely have done a last-minute change of destination, there were rumours of something brewing on the Worthing coast. This was day one of a short break I’d booked off work in the hope of catching some late season stuff, just how fortuitous my timing had been was yet to be realised. As it was, I had caught a train down to the Kent coastline, the target for the day was the Queen of Spain Frits who seemed to have set up a temporary home down here. Had I done better research I’d have gone straight to the corn field in Walmer, but instead I’d decided a walk along the coastline from Dover to St. Margarets. It was a nice warm sunny day and the few Whites that were fluttering around weren’t interested in settling. With my mind in Fritillary mode the numerous Walls bouncing along the path and up and down the cliff face gave me many a minor coronary. A few females allowed close approach but, in the heat, the vast majority typically scarpered the moment they felt my eyes on them. The closest I got to a male was halfway up the White Cliffs!
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
I also came across a Small Copper, something of a rarity his year.
IMG_0014.JPG
Common Blues appeared sporadically but a little hotspot for them, Walls and Whites was along the south facing wall that surrounds the South Foreland Lighthouse, just before reaching St. Margarets.
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
There was nothing I hadn’t already seen at St. Margarets but it looked like there’d be more to be found a little earlier in the season
IMG_0225.JPG
The wander back was much the same and approaching the industrial grey blot of Dover on the otherwise pleasant scenery it was still early in the day. Another butterfly hotspot was discovered on one of the paths overlooking the port but again, nothing unusual.
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
As it was too early to make the move home, I still had time to explore and having heard about Samphire Hoe often, that was my next destination. I would actually have been able to spend a bit of time there but google maps on my phone decided to take me on a rather convoluted route and completely ignored the fact that the only access point is the tunnel, instead sending me along the top of the cliff face overlooking the site and happily suggesting that I just hop down from there. Anyway, I eventually escaped the idiocy of Google and had enough time to do a quick circuit of the site finding a lovely female Common Blue and a few female Adonis.
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
I got home to find more enticing reports emanating from the Sussex coastline...
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I wonder what’s coming next.... :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and that first Wall shot is a cracker :D :mrgreen: I'm getting the General Electric M134 Minigun (like the one Blaine used in Predator) of :mrgreen: warmed up ready for the next set of posts :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I would imagine we're going to less of those tatty old male LTB's, as above,
and more of the pristine variety. I may even recognise some of them! :lol:
millerd

Post by millerd »

The walk along from St. Margarets to Kingsdown can be very productive at the height of summer, especially if there are LTBs to be found. I believe that back in 2013 when the first recent notable influx of this species occurred, it was possible to find six species of blue there on the same day (and Brown Argus as well).

The proximity of the cliff edge is something to watch out for, especially when following something interesting - which makes me wonder how you got that shot of the Wall on a chalky background! I had no idea abseiling was one of your skills... :) This location is of course also a prime candidate for first landfall of a certain white butterfly!

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Essex, I can’t imagine what you’re referring to… oh wait :)
Thanks Wurzel, probably best to pace yourself, its more than just LTB’s waiting in the wings :wink:
You might be right Trevor, there’ll be quite a few in the coming posts that you’ll recognise.
Thanks Dave, I was very aware of the cliff edge, even more aware of the large cracks close to the edge but don’t worry, I wasn’t risking life and limb for that Wall (well perhaps a twisted ankle), he was half way up a chalky scree slope above the path I was on at the time and that picture is somewhat cropped. I have actually done a bit of climbing/abseiling on a fake wall. I was a combination of hopeless and terrified in equal portions, so never again :oops: !

September 2022

Disclaimer: The next few posts were all rather similar in regards of the location and ‘sport’ and over time have merged a bit in my memory, so exact details may not be quite as accurate as I think they are!

Sunday 18th. Well something seemed to be occurring on the south coast so it’s little surprise that I was to be found down there today. I found myself to be the first person walking along the seafront, camera in hand, avidly staring at the Tamarisk hedge. After twenty minutes or so I managed to find a rather battered male Long-tailed Blue at the junction of Seaview road where several records had come from in previous days. After a selection of snaps, I wandered back along the hedge where I came across a small gathering of local enthusiasts including a certain Mr. Hulme. The gathering was of course because another male was in attendance.
IMG_0015.JPG
After a while the various enthusiasts went their separate ways leaving me, Neil and another who’s name is now lost to me to slowly peruse the seafront and see if we could get a better handle of what might be going on in LTB world at the moment. A third worn individual was seen fluttering along the Tamarisk, another feeding on some Aster on the shingle beach and I managed to chase down a nearby Cloudie.
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
Nothing much else was seen until we split up at the western end of the Parade at the junction of George V Avenue to search a few possible patches of tamarisk hedging. I came up blank, but some waving hands signalled the others had had better luck. The patch of shingle just to the west of the junction had not only a handful of ‘resident’ LTB’s but also around a dozen Clouded Yellow, a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, Common Blues and Small Coppers. The rich supply of nectar in the form of Red Valerian no doubt responsible for the surprising density.
IMG_0079.JPG
Two of the Cloudies were helice and one of the LTB looked very fresh, although we soon realised he’d had a mishap when emerging and had slightly wonky wings. This did however make him easily identifiable and in successive days he was as much a fixture here as Neil! Neil also found a freshly minted female but she didn’t hang around long enough for me to see her, I just had to make do with seeing Neil’s pictures and hide my seething jealousy! Still, I had two Cloudies feeding next to each other
Helice #1 ab. neideicki
Helice #1 ab. neideicki
Ol' wonky wing
Ol' wonky wing
IMG_0231.JPG
Helice #2
Helice #2
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
Not realising just how important the patch of shingle would become we wandered further along, past the sailing club and down a grassy slope next to a car park. It was the large unkempt Tamarisk hedge that initially attracted our attention but there was also a patch of uncut grass which looked suitable as well. We got lucky and a freshly minted male appeared and perched in front of us for a short time.
IMG_0310.JPG
When it took to the air in hot pursuit of something and shot across the road into someone’s front garden, we both followed as fast as not getting run over allowed. It was likely he’d gone after a female but she seemed to have given him the slip and as a cloud passed over he settled in the middle of the lawn. After loitering and watching a tiny brown speck in the lawn with cameras in hand as unsuspiciously as possible (not something that’s particularly easy) the owner popped out and Neil went to explain what was going on. I suspect the interest shown was somewhat feigned, but at least the police didn’t turn up, so we were considered harmless weirdos at most. Eventually the sun reappeared, and our long wait was left wanting as he took to the air and vanished.

Back over the road a slightly more worn one was doing some patrolling and provided lots of photo opportunities, but our appetite was already whetted, and only freshly minted perfect specimens could satisfy us now.
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
And as if by magic, one appeared, well almost perfect. He appeared to be missing a single tail but otherwise virtually scale perfect. Like the last mint male, he didn’t hang around long.
IMG_0438.JPG
We then headed back to the shingle where I got distracted trying to get upperside shots of Cloudies for a bit, mixed results but some I was happy with.
IMG_0495.JPG
The LTB show was far from over though with yet another freshly emerged example appearing to join the several already here showing various degrees of wear and tear, indicating this hotspot may well have been occupied for some time before we ‘discovered’ it.
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
An end of day total of at least 18 seemed at the time quite remarkable but little did we know we’d only scratched the surface of what was going on here.

Edit: forgot to post this shot, a bonus helice upperside :)
IMG_0275.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Bugboy - those LTBs are lush but the Helice shots are even better :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Some great shots there Bugboy, love your Helice , :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, still some more helice to come :wink: , in the meantime, have some more LTB :)
Thanks Goldie, you’re in the right place to get some of your own now :)

September 2022

Monday 19th. Since I still had a few days left from a week set aside for any late season butterfly shenanigans, it would have been daft not to go back to Worthing for seconds! A rather dull, grey sky greeted me and there was precious little about save for a couple of roosting Common Blues in the rough grass next to the car park where we found the first fresh one yesterday. Wandering around I also found a fresh female basking in the non-existent sun.
CB.png
Since there didn’t seem to be much promise of sun in the near future, I carried on walking along the Tamarisk lined coastline, ending up going as far as Goring. Some Little Egret and Turnstone provided a distraction for a while until I sensed the cloud seemed to be thinning.
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
Back near the car park I found a male Small Copper (present the previous day) and the same slightly worn LTB who’d we seen the day before. A male Cloudie also dropped by who had slightly elongated discoidal spots, ab. geisleri.
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
The prospect of the cloud at last beginning to break up properly sent me back to the patch of Valerian covered shingle where I quickly put up a freshly minted LTB. I was still on my own at this stage… or so I thought. Looking up whilst waiting for the Blue to open up I saw Neil striding towards me. I tried to explain it was just an interesting pebble I’d found but he saw through my cunning subterfuge.
IMG_0231.JPG
Our wait was thoroughly worth it when he displayed his scale perfect uppers to an onslaught of camera shutters and the odd “ooooph”.
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG
The clouded Yellows were still around in good numbers and something else deserving a few ‘ooophs’ was a gorgeous female Wall who passed through and stopped just long enough for her portrait.
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
By now word had started to leak out that this was the place to be and a few more enthusiasts had turned up to enjoy the numerous LTB’s that were active here this afternoon, including Claire, a lady who lived in one of the houses backing onto the site and was lucky enough to quite literally have LTB’s flying around in her back garden!
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
Elsewhere a call went up that a couple of LTB were getting cosy together. With so many males around, it’s inevitable that any female turning up will be ‘picked off’ within minutes of arriving. Even so they don’t give in to the males advances easily, and it was a minute or two of curled abdomens and exposed (huge) claspers before she relented.
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
Many, many pictures of the happy couple were taken. I like the addition of the Yucca leaves giving the image a tropical feel, it really did feel like the Mediterranean!
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG
An hour later they parted company and the female stuck around long enough for some snaps, she was a dusky lady with relatively little blue colouring.
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
At some point during the afternoon Neil suggested we try and attempt a transect to get an accurate count, but it was an abject failure, there was just so much activity and too many distractions, however, Neil’s end of day tally was 12 individuals included a mixture of worn specimens which have set up home here and fresh individuals which would have emerged overnight or that morning turning up in the afternoon. Much of the analysis of what was going on has already been outlined in Neil’s PD but even at this early stage it was becoming very clear that they were using this spot as a staging post before embarking on the crossing to France with some males choosing to hang around for X amount of time, most likely to pick of the fresh females as they pass through. A combination of a reliable nectar source here and its sheltered location (protected from any chilly northerly's) are also likely factors in why this spot was so attractive to not only the LTB but also the Clouded Yellows.

Return to “Personal Diaries”