Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan, I think the Butterflies are later this year and a bit desperate to get out and about. Next year hope fully I'll see some Grizzlies :D at least I'll
know where to find them now.

Yesterday it was cloudy here until about 4pm then the Sun came out and I saw a Large White in the garden going from flower to flower, when it settled I managed to grab the camera and get a few shots, it looks like today is going the same way weather wise, cloudy until about the same time, tomorrow though is much better so I'll wait until then to venture forth :D Goldie :D
Attachments
63B19A88-F285-4A06-99EB-2832EDDE1B8E_1_201_a.jpeg
24D58671-1995-4156-8E9B-C28A7D7D0056_1_201_a.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely fresh Large White, Goldie. A very handsome butterfly when fresh.
Those who grow prize cabbages would not agree!.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Trevor, it was great to finally see some thing in the garden :D Glad I don't grow cabbages :lol:

Yesterday was a lovely day here, so I set off about 9am for Brockholes CP, it's only about 15 min's a way but the M61 goes down to two lanes going onto the M6 and this time of year it's murder if left till later to even get onto the M6. Caravans, car's, all, either going to the lakes or the seaside.

I was lucky to find Common Blues there, also lots of Orange Tips, some in good condition others slightly worn, other Butterflies noted were nearly all whites , I was also looking for Green Hair Streaks but I saw none. I thought the Common Blues looked particularly very dark Blue in colour or, may be it was just me seeing them for the first time this year :D

I was pleased to see a lovely Kestrel watching from the tree tops, I managed a few shots :D It's chest when flying was very pink.

The river Ribble was looking at it's best and I was pleased to find the floating restaurant had put extra tables and chairs out-side and was serving take -aways also from out-side. ( I'd taken my own sandwich and flask just to be on the safe side) :D I made a note that if and when I go again I may get some thing there especially if my Daughter comes up , she loves eating out . :D
All in all a very enjoyable day for me, when I got onto the M6 for home and entered the M61going South, I saw the M61 going North was choked with Traffic going back four or five miles I wouldn't want to be in that Traffic jam with the Sun so hot, it pays to go very early . :D Goldie :D
Attachments
6B835458-A177-4DCA-B6CE-D137A595226E.jpeg
35308CC7-6F57-494D-A83C-0648F7017291.jpeg
B9BE3454-743A-4E9A-AA7D-E3B61428FEFC.jpeg
0D77DC1A-0FA0-4829-A2F9-B58B8CF9EA9F.jpeg
DE9B4D9D-9C09-4580-9B18-D7F4B9C36299.jpeg
9FE15084-BF5C-4C69-AEDA-8C17045FF783.jpeg
83E3B99E-02B6-4230-89BA-480CCA0D2533.jpeg
5A6B3F57-EACC-4DBF-8286-D8C027E24105.jpeg
B04690D3-BF6A-4827-B86A-7AFAD7F086DF.jpeg
7ADDCC28-52AE-4050-9390-4B95EA54DF5F.jpeg
5DCA84C3-77DE-44CA-8E58-2F2BF4FDC1FD.jpeg
1A86DF3C-3305-4CA1-B1BF-F9D00CBAD7D0.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Goldie and great to hear that you've managed to get out 8) :D Love the penultimate Kestrel shot - it looks like he posing just for you :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I was pleased to see the Kestrel and the fact it stayed so long on the tree was due to the fact it was watching some young Ducklings, I don't know if they've ever taken any ducklings but it was certainly watching them and the group of us that had been taking shots of it was also interesting to it :D

Talking of birds I was sitting in the garden watching the birds when I saw this young bird being fed by it's mother, I've quite a few nests in the garden so I can't paint any fences just yet ( good excuse ) :D Thanks for your posts Wurzel I thought you'd like the shot :D Goldie :D
Attachments
254CBF97-5C57-4F1D-BE44-10BA85DD4A48.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

I'm glad to know you managed to get out and about, Goldie, and pleasing that you saw a few butterflies, including very late Orange Tips!

I thought of you when the weather forecaster said that Lancashire recorded the hottest temperature yesterday. That's certainly an improvement on what you were subjected to during practically the entire month of May!!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, it was a pleasure to be on the move again, there's still not too many Butterflies about here, I believe the Duke's and Pearl's are out in the Lakes but it's a long Journey for me on my own so I don't think I'll be seeing too many Butterflies this year, I'm hoping to go South again in August so I may see some different one's like the Adonis etc, I've not seen it for years so that'll be a plus :D I have had a very small Green Veined White in the garden sheltering from the heat so I got a shot of that, we seem to have gone from one extreme to the other with the weather, we can't win :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4011.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's good to see the warm and sunny weather has reached your part of the world as well, Goldie, and that you've had some visitors to your garden and have been out to the countryside too. I can definitely award a :mrgreen: for that male Large White - I've hardly seen any down here this year, let alone get close enough for a photo like that! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie. Good to see you have managed to get out and are seeing some butterflies. Nice Kestrel shots too.

I have only seen a couple of Large Whites so far this year and both of those were in Cornwall, none around my patch so far.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Green-veined Goldie :D They've been few and far between round my way and if I have seen one they haven't settled within range :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Dave, Neil and Wurzel, I noticed yesterday it was raining in the South, I was sat out in the garden with an orange drink I'd put Ice cream in and couldn't believe my ears :D I'd been watering the garden because it was so dry, just shows you can't win some times and others it's just great :D

I didn't see many Butterflies and what I did see, until today, were mostly Whites which didn't land :roll: I 'd friends visit today and when they were leaving this Butterfly flew passed into the back garden, I said my goodbye's quickly :D and when I went into the back garden I found it was a Painted Lady. :D

Last year I didn't see one, but it looks like this year we've got a good number arriving, I saw my first this year in Kent, it looks like they've come North to miss the rain :lol: They may be unlucky :D Goldie :D
Attachments
998B7E71-562B-47A6-B177-C9087CC1C207.jpeg
F58D0C2E-7E1F-4782-B597-805A88D17786.jpeg
BF6A8DA8-ECB1-4C7D-AFB3-EE8E27F9692C.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to hear that the Painted Lady has reached your neck of the woods 8) - it might be a good year for them as I've seen a couple of fresh looking individuals in the last few days :D I read how you quickly said goodbye to your friend with a smile on my face as I've done exactly the same; it's a case of "Okay bye then!" close door! :wink: :D

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Very nice shots of the Painted Lady M :D
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see Painted Ladies have reached your neck of the woods, Goldie. That first image in particular shows the butterfly off very well.

Only seen two myself this year so far, and neither of those was in Wales!!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Fantastic shots . I have never noticed the darker red area on the wing before.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your posts, I'm a bit slow in replying because we've had no rain for quite a while ( thought I'd never say that :D ) so I've been trying to sort my garden out, I've treated myself to a new bench , my other was falling to pieces :roll: also I've had to water every thing , we've all lost a few plants, I thought my Boules Mauve was in trouble once again so gave it a good watering with the hose pipe :roll:

What showers there's been have totally missed us and it's been too hot for Butterflies, in fact, I can count how many I've seen on one hand. Hope fully I'll see more Butterflies when I've finished with the garden.

The Painted Lady was a big surprise, has I said, my friends were just going when I spotted it, it made my day and made me smile, it was my late Husbands Birthday as well so I'm sure he'd sent the surprise :D Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
Thought you may like an update on Lydden/Temple Ewell downland ,i was there this morning on a plant hunt ,and I must say it now looks superb !
Although i was looking for plants ,obviously i also kept an eye out for butterflies ,and can say that there are plenty of Adonis Blues ,Common Blues
and the other commoner suspects flying ,and at your little Small blue area there were several on the wing ..............which was nice !
And the area i told you about last year (over the fence ,from the Small Blues is looking excellent ! ) If you,re down later in the year ,give it a go !
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great to hear that Allan, it looked awful when I went there last time, I think it'll be August next time before I get down there again so maybe I'll see a few butterflies I've missed taking shots of ,( my shots are very limited for the Adonis ).

There's nothing much happening here at present, the weather over the last couple of days as been very cloudy until at least 4pm and the Butterflies few and far between, not interested in landing at all. It's been either too hot or too cloudy :roll:

Hope fully I'll see a few more before long :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just lately I've had nothing to post, I've been back and forth to clinic's with the flaming dog bite, for some reason it's only just started to heal properly, plus the fact of being careful here with the virus, also no Butterflies had appeared in the garden :roll: so I've been in a miserable mood which isn't like me :roll:
Today however I ventured forth again to Hall-Lee-Brook :D I called myself for not getting stuck in and being more motivated, although, I've been busy in the garden, I've not been out and about much, any way today the weather ( we've had no rain for over three weeks now) was nice once again although as usual cloudy at times. I was pleased to see my first Large Skipper and more pleased when I spotted a Small Tort :D
I also saw what I thought was a Meadow Brown but it landed in the shade and took off quickly, I tried to get a shot of it but I'm afraid it's not that good, the shot has how ever shown some markings and i don't think they look like MB markings, if any one has any Idea's , they look a lot like the Wall Brown but I can't see it being that.
I also think one of my shots looks like a Small Skipper but I can't be sure, it had it's wings closed, it's the one on the White Blossom, when I got home I was really pleased to see a Small Tort in the Garden :D it made my day :D Now I've to get busy and catch up on peoples post :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4096.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg
IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4124.jpeg
IMG_4120.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Goldie. Glad you've managed to get out again. That dog bite has caused you real stress. :evil:

Your first image is a Speckled Wood and the last one is a Large Skipper.

Return to “Personal Diaries”