Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

August 2022

Sunday 7th. The following day there was little chance of returning to Bookham to try and improve on the shoddy Brown Hairstreak count, or nearby sites for that matter on account of various works going on on the lines to that part of the world. Southern rail however were running a normal Sunday service so I had a look to find a suitable spot to spend a sunny Sunday away from the crowds. Remembering Neil Hulme’s recent post (complete with Brown Hairstreaks) about an unspecified patch of relatively unexplored countryside near Burpham village, and fancying a little adventure exploring somewhere new, I had a look on google maps, chose the most likely looking field after noted it was within walking distance from the infamous North Stoke site, and set off early to make a day of it.

Walking through the Burpham Meadow complex at North Stoke I found the usual selection of late summer species, Red Admirals and Commas being the only ones that settled.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
Out the other side I followed the footpath that leads to Burpham village, noting how much of the surrounding farmland has large set aside borders filled with wild flowers. The edge of one field in particular was covered in Fennel, I kept an eye out for Swallowtails, but none were seen.

Approaching my target field, I was temporarily distracted by some Brimstone flitting around some Burdock. Backlit Brimstone, always irresistible.
IMG_0061.JPG
The field itself looked rather innocuous, and like the rest of Sussex, rather sunburnt, and off course I still wasn’t sure if I was in the right place, I had to locate some Silver-spotted Skippers to prove that. One thing that was immediately apparent was that Birds of Prey liked the place, for my entire stay a Kestrel, some Buzzard and a trio of Red Kite kept me company, the Kites in particularly regularly drifting quite low overhead, the stuff of nightmares for Katrina :wink: !
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
Butterfly life was mostly centred around patches of Wild Marjoram, almost the only nectar source in the field. Here I found Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Chalkhill & Common Blue and Brown Argus.
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
I walked slowly up to the top of the slope but didn’t manage to find any Skippers, however the views were non too shabby, all the way to Arundal castle. At the top in another field that was full of Sunflowers, a male Cloudie was scooting around non-stop.
20220807_112315.jpg
20220807_112550.jpg
A slow walk back down the slope however confirmed I was in the right spot, I found around half a dozen SSS, as usual focusing their attention on the scabious that was scattered here and there.
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
I’d already noticed some rather large Ash trees (one greets you at the entrance to the site), along the bottom hedgerow so next it was Brown Hairstreak hunting. Along the bottom hedge were some patches of thistle and Marjoram and I added Small Heath, Small Copper and Comma to the sites tally along with Small, Large and Green-veined Whites but despite much searching, there was no sign of any Hairstreaks, even flitting around the treetops.
IMG_0522.JPG
Walking along the hedge I’d seen Blues regularly flying up and over the hedge. I’d assumed they were Holly Blues until one landed halfway up and told me it was a Common. A little way back down the lane I’d noticed a small gate leading into the adjacent fields. There was no lock and no private signs, so I ventured in to have a look. A broad set aside border had obviously benefitted from it being farmed and had remained very lush and green with oodles of nectar sources, including lots of Birds-foot Trefoil. Flitting amongst the already seen Whites, Browns and Blues I also added Wall and a ghostly SmEssex Skipper (I’m not convinced I’d have been able to ID it even if I’d potted it!)
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
By the end of my visit, I’d scraped my way to 18 species.

After stopping off at the local pub in Burpham for some much-needed shade and cold drink I made my way back to North Stoke and home, adding Painted Lady to the days tally.
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
Even without the Hairstreaks, a very satisfying days butterflying.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

There is something very satisfying about exploring somewhere completely new and racking up a good tally of species like that - and one out of the two specific ones you were seeking isn't a bad result either. Add to that the fact that Brown Hairstreak seem to have been a bit on the shy side this year, and it all makes for a very good day, despite their absence - as you said! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great when things work out like that - I know you didn't find your target species but that's still a cracking array of species :D The Brostreaks this year were very hard work - I did get lucky with them but only because I spent an inordinate amount of time wandering Shipton Bellinger - the miles to Brostreak ratio is possibly the worse I've ever experienced :? I'm opening your posts with a sense of LTB trepidation now... :shock: :? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, there was lot to see there even at the tail end of a very dry summer when most species had burnt themselves out. Not too long to wait now for the LTB season opener in my PD Wurzel :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 2022

Tuesday 9th. Although I’ve seen a few Grayling here and there already, I still like to set aside at least one day a year focussing on them, so with temperatures still threatening to creep up into the mid/high 30’s I set off early to spend a morning on Chobham Common.

They were already out in numbers, bouncing around all the usual spots and, apart from a couple of Gatekeeper, were the only species seen all morning. As a variation on the regular ‘spot the Grayling’ game, here’s ‘count the Grayling’:
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
And here’s a selection of them in various poses.
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
I was actually quite surprised how green the place was, considering most other places I'd visited in the latter half of summer were dry dust bowls, but then Lowland Heath flora are designed to cope with dry conditions more so than other habitats.
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
I left shortly after midday, I was beginning to wilt, happy to find the Grayling seemed to be unaffected by the drought so far!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Now that's another thing I missed out on this year - a feast of Graylings up at Chobham Common. Still, it doesn't sound like ideal weather for chasing them around up there - a cooler cloudier day would be preferable in my book! :) Some great shots there, too. They do actually sit on tree trunks as well as trouser legs, then?! :wink: :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

There's certainly some contrast between the habitats in your last couple of posts, Paul. I guess the heathland, being naturally more damp, hangs on to its residual water supply longer than most other places.

Lovely pictures of the kite too. There are plenty in the air round my way but I've never got as close as you managed to do.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes it was rather hot Dave but I don’t think I had any options this year, the Graylings certainly didn’t seem to be complaining though. Tree trunks are quite popular when I see them, I think perhaps my hairy legs scare them off!
Thanks David, it was quite a startling change in how the different habitats were coping with the drought conditions this year.

August 2022

Wednesday 10th. The first Long-tailed Blues had been seen on Whitehawk hill the previous week so as always, I was eager to catch up with them, and off course not knowing how the season was going to pan out I didn’t want to risk missing them (it’s now obvious I had nothing to worry about on that front!)

Anyway, I was on a half day, so I made sure I left work on the dot and shot off to catch the train down to Brighton, only an hour on the Gatwick Express so still plenty of time. By 2 I was on the hill looking for my target, very surprised to have the place to myself. It was also very hot, only a few degrees shy of 40 (possibly a major reason why no one else was here) which meant when the target shot past, I wasn’t sure if I would be getting any shots. He did get thirsty though and I soon wracked up plenty of the classic LTB ‘butterfly on a bright pink flower’ shots. I was quite surprised at how fresh he was and wondered whether he was freshly emerged on UK soil from a female that had snuck under the radar four weeks previously. However, in hindsight and having seen loads of freshly emerged individuals making the return route then there’s no reason this one hadn’t emerged in France the day before and was fresh off the boat.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
At the other end of the scale was the only other one active who was holding court in one of the lekking areas. You know it’s hot when a LTB is desperately trying to stay cool!
IMG_0116.JPG
I had intended to stay longer however I was struggling in the temperature so went down into town to find somewhere to cool down, planning on returning after a couple of hours. I left it too long though and although it was still ridiculously hot, they’d all gone to bed. Before I left, I did manage a nice mating pair of Small Heath.
IMG_0145.JPG
Things were to get much better though… :wink:

Thursday 11th. Temptation got the better of me and even though I finished at 3 today I risked another trip to the south coast (if I knew the future I probably wouldn’t have bothered). I arrived once again at an empty site but after a few minutes Max Anderson turned up as well. It was a somewhat frustrating few hours spent mostly as spectators as the same fresh male from the previous day zoomed around and stopped briefly here and there. Max did witness a few aerial dogfights so there were at least two males.
IMG_0024.JPG
A second fresh individual showed up late on for a brief photoshoot which may or may not have been a female, its behaviour did seem different and its wings were noticeably more rounded, but the jury will stay out.
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
Other species present on both afternoons were various Whites, Red Admirals, Common Blues and the very occasional passing Wall.
IMG_0006.JPG
Things were to get much better though… :wink:
millerd

Post by millerd »

Seeing those LTBs burrowing into the pea flowers reminds me of the ones we saw on the Buckle Bypass in 2019, Paul - that was a warm day too. :) I'm glad their season continued for some while in 2022, as I'd have missed them if this had been their only appearance and there'd have been a :mrgreen: or two. However, as it's turned out, I think I can leave those to Wurzel... :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:07 pm..You know it’s hot when a LTB is desperately trying to stay cool!
:D I believe there should be a new calibration based entirely on that observation, Paul!!

It was indeed exceptionally hot that day, so fair play to you for making the effort to get down there and so pleased you were suitably rewarded.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That seems like a lot longer than 3 years ago Dave! I have six more LTB reports to come so I hope Wurzel’s going to be ok :wink: .
Thanks David, I was glad for cooler sites later in the season, I wouldn’t be able to take many more of those scorchers!

August 2022

Friday 19th. My next opportunity to get out unfortunately fell on a train strike so I wasn’t able to go very far. I ended up visiting Epping Forest where I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find some Large Tortoiseshell living and breeding, of course I didn’t actually see any, in fact all I saw were a handful of Speckled Wood, a few Whites and singletons of Meadow Brown and Common Blue. The afternoon actually ended up being a bit of an Odonata fest.

Willow Emerald Damselflies were rather numerous. I find I come across this species more often than the much commoner Emerald Damselflies these days, perhaps because it has a later flight period when butterflies are scarcer (general peaking around September) so I tend to take more notice of them. I found a trio of females loitering in a sunny glade,
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
and several more flying along the edge of Connaught Water, of which a mating pair and a single male allowed images.
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
Also along the lakes edge were numerous Common Blue Damselflies, here I gate-crashed another pair in cop.
IMG_0086.JPG
And some Red Eyed Damselflies, or are they Small Red Eyed Damselflies? I’ve never knowingly seen the Small one and they’re a bit tricky to differentiate, particularly when trying to remember details from two months ago. If memory serves, they were a bit larger than the Common Blues which should rule out the SRED. If anyone can confirm which I have here it would be much appreciated (maybe I have both species?).
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
Some butterflies
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
Oh and some fish
IMG_0140.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Buggy. The blue extending to the sides at the tip of the abdomen and near the thorax says small red-eyed to me. You really do see some brilliant dragons and damsels!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Agree Small Red-eyed. Certainly around London, Willow Emerald is FAR more common than the now poorly named Common Emerald. Virtually disappeared from Middx, where Willow is widespread now.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I went up to Whitehawk Hill (twice) for exactly the same reason as you,
it could present the only chance of seeing any LTB''s, unlike yours all I saw were tatty.
As it happens we needn't have worried!, thanks to Neil. :D

A great experience.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

So one down and 6 still to go I'm going to have to use :mrgreen: sparingly :? :wink: Mind you I think I'll be okay as the cost of the fuel to get there would have been prohibitive and the way things are going they'll be invading further West before too long (fingers crossed and plenty of trying to convince myself :wink: :lol: )

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the ID Guy and Aeshna, another species to add to my tick list
If only we knew what lay ahead eh Trevor, it would have saved a few exhausting walks up that hill in searing heat!
Well the way things are going Wurzel, I might not have to travel out of London to see them soon, although given the choice of seeing them in London or at the seaside…

August 2022

Saturday 20th. Still no trains so still stranded in London. It wasn’t particularly sunny but seemed warm enough for a wander on the Marshes, not that I was really expecting to see a great deal. During the brighter moments a few Whites were active, only Small’s and Large from what I could see.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
I spent most my time at a patch of creeping thistle where I found a few Meadow Brown, Common Blue, a Small Copper and that honorary butterfly, the Latticed Heath.
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
I managed to get further afield next time I got out.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

August 2022

Sunday 21st. Trains were running again so I could escape back to the countryside at last. I’d missed the Adonis for the most part in the spring, having only seen a few at Mill Hill so I thought I’d try Denbies. It was rather warm, so I also decided to leave it for an afternoon and perhaps catch them going to roost. It also meant a cheaper train ticket!
The afternoon started with another decent glimpse of a Small Heath upperside.
IMG_0005.JPG
The main target for the day was unfortunately rather obvious in its near absence. I found a female quite early on (she never opened up but since she was fresh as a daisy and the Chalkhills started emerging way back at the end of June here, I can be fairly confident she was Adonis).
IMG_0015.JPG
And a male was found about an hour later. A possible third was also seen but that was it. I fear the heatwave must have done for the larvae and/or the foodplant and this species doesn't seem to have done well here in recent years anyway. Of course, I may just have been too early :?:
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
The main slope had been scorched brown over the summer and was pretty much devoid of flowers and butterflies. Virtually all the action was along the top path where a few aged Chalkhills and decent numbers of Silver-spotted Skippers flew amongst a smattering of representatives of other species, often jostling over the few remaining flowers. I concentrated mainly on the Skippers, many of which were still in good nick, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many of them sharing flowers.
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
One female was rather pale, looking somewhat washed out and her underside spotting was rather weak. The uppers seem to fit either ab. pallidapuncta or suffuse and the underside ab. dupuyi.
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking looking Coppers and Silver-Spots Bugboy :D There's something in the colour and the tidier looking chequers of that female Blue that makes me think 'Adonis' as well Bugboy - nicely marked so possibly a named ab? 8) I see you're drawing out the LTB posts :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That is a most unusual Silver Spotted Skipper, Paul. I don't think abs are that common in this species so an excellent find. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel. The real LTB craziness didn’t start until the middle of September but there’s still a couple of ‘normal’ LTB posts to come yet, don’t wanna peak to soon now do I. More importantly I’m catching you up 8) !
Thanks David, Wurzel did post a nice SSS ab a few weeks ago where the silver spots were all merged together forming a zizgzag, very eyecatching!

August 2022

Tuesday 23rd. So far, my Brown Hairstreak season had been pretty dismal, almost non-existent in fact and having kept my eye on Bookham’s sightings since my last visit it would seem I would have to go further afield to some backup sites for the species. The days forecast looked tolerable, certainly warm enough. It was going to be a long day which started off at North Stoke where the low grey clouds looked to be starting to break. The noisy flock of Rook and Jackdaw seemed rather unsettled as I walked down the slope towards Burpham Meadows. The reason soon revealed itself when they scarpered in a very raucous flock and seemingly out of nowhere, the air was quite suddenly filled with Kites and Buzzards, a dozen or so had risen from their roost and were warming up their flight muscles for a day’s souring (at least that’s what they hoped for, they’d obviously seen the same optimistic forecast I’d seen!)
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
As the sun started to lose the battle with the clouds, the only butterflies I found in the meadows were a few Large White.
IMG_0066.JPG
Nevertheless, I carried on through Burpham to Perry Hill, where a few weeks before I’d found eighteen species and I knew Brown Hairstreak lived here as well. This morning couldn’t have been more different to my previous visit, then I had wall to wall blue sky. Now, as the mornings weather had progressively got worse, I had wall to wall low grey cloud which deteriorated further as the cloud descended to ground level and I was left wandering the hillside in summer attire as a variety of precipitation was blown around. Oddly though it was anything but cold, just rather muggy and during the slightly ‘drier’ spells a few butterflies were still readily disturbed, mostly Meadow Browns, but concentrated on a lone male Adonis.
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
Before the weather became a bit farcical, I did manage a few shots of some Brown Argus and Common Blues.
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
A Great-spotted Woodpecker distracting me from my second half of the day
A Great-spotted Woodpecker distracting me from my second half of the day
Although the cloud eventually ascended to a more normal level it didn’t look like it was going anywhere so I decided to catch the train back to Pulborough and see what birds I could find at the RSPB reserve. Well, I soon forgot about the birds because the sun decided to come out so I quickly put the springs recce visit to use and loitered around hopefully at the various stands of Blackthorn, the trampled grass showing I wasn’t the first. I found a few distractions in these areas…
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG
But it was an off the beaten track corner that I eventually found a Brown Hairstreak. She was far from mint but a season like this one I was happy, even happier when she posed as well.
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
Late on a nice-looking Painted lady also made a welcome appearance.
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
I think that’s what’s known as day of two halves! :)

Special mention goes to this Brown Argus, I'm not sure what happened to him, he looked fine when I first saw him, then I caught sight of his other half and he looked like he'd narrowly escaped going through a mincer!
BA.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Brown Argus is like 'Two-Face' from the DC comics Bugboy :shock: :wink: Slight chip on one side and the other a right bleeding mess! :shock: :roll: I think I'm looking forward to the LTB posts :? :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”