millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely set of shots Dave- especially the open winged male - almost blinding that blue sheen :D Interesting pint about the sun being more important than the temperature for whites :D I've noticed that a few times when I've gone out thinking it was warm enough but with high cloud and there hasn't been anything about :? Other days there's a real icy tinge to the air but blue sky and the whites are away! :)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel. :) Holly Blues are very shiny butterflies, and getting the settings right on the camera can be tricky in strong sunlight. Definitely easier with a bit of cloud around. Still, at the moment there are opportunities to practice every single day.

Tuesday 14th April. Brilliant sunshine from the outset today, and the wind had pretty well dropped, but the temperature only climbed a little above Monday's. The morning especially felt distinctly chilly. However, sun and lack of wind were triggers enough for the butterflies on my local walk, and I saw around 80 individuals of ten species. As is becoming the norm at the moment, Orange Tips and Holly Blues were most in evidence, and the Peacocks were back in numbers today as well. Today's Orange Tips included a couple of females (these have been a bit thin on the ground so far).
OT1 140420.JPG
OT2 140420.JPG
OT4 140420.JPG
A Brimstone nectaring late in the day looked a bit tired now.
Brimstone1 140420.JPG
Commas posed as ever...
Comma1 140420.JPG
Comma2 140420.JPG
...as did a few Speckled Woods.
SpW2 140420.JPG
SpW3 140420.JPG
Despite these distractions, the camera ended up pointing itself once again at the variety of Holly Blues, readily opening up in the relatively chilly air.
HB1 140420.JPG
HB4 140420.JPG
HB6 140420.JPG
HB7 140420.JPG
HB11 140420.JPG
Here is a tree which seems to be the equivalent of a student house for the species - it's a Holly, festooned with ivy, entangled with a hawthorn and with an understorey of dense brambles.
holly tree.JPG
Every evening, you can find numbers of the species chasing each other around this tree and diving into its depths. Though I have often observed courting here, and egg-laying, I've yet to find a mating pair.
HB9 140420.JPG
HB10 140420.JPG
And sooner or later, one will decide to bask...
HB12 140420.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

More stunning Holly Blue and OT shots, your local patch certainly performs. :mrgreen:
The way things are shaping up around there, it's only a matter of time before
you get a mating pair of Holly Blues. They are not so obliging around here!.

stay fit and well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow Dave that looks like Holly blue Nirvana - all the species they like in one spot! :shock: 8) Cracking shots as usual - I'll be trying the Whispering out in the near future, wish me luck :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:45 pm...Here is a tree which seems to be the equivalent of a student house for the species - it's a Holly, festooned with ivy, entangled with a hawthorn and with an understorey of dense brambles...
So that's how you do it! :)

Does look the perfect des-res. Might be tricky getting down to my own Holly Blue site over the next couple of weeks so good to know I can rely on you for my 'fix'. :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some lovely shots there Dave of the Holly Blue. Having been absent for a while and returning in these strange times it is reassuring to see them once again in your diary :) .
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Dave, your lucky with the Holly Blues and what beautiful shots of the open wings :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I wish I could find a place they love round here :D Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Can you whisper some of those to the other side of London please Dave, I've seen a grand total of 2 Holly Blues so far and one of those was in someones front garden! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks again to all of you! :) I wish I knew what it is about my neck of the woods that produces so many Holly Blues, and not just that, so many accommodating ones. The tree I've singled out is part of it, but realistically only a small part. There is a lot of ivy around, festooning trees and crumbling walls and sprawling over blocks of garages. I thought the population would take a hit when a whole line of ash trees covering in ivy was lost following drought (loosening the roots) and some strong winds, but it has made very little difference. There are certainly plenty to spare - I'd love to send a few out to those of you suffering a deficit! :) :wink: :lol:

Wednesday 15th April. Another very sunny day indeed, with little wind, and temperatures back up to 19 degrees. I tried to concentrate on counting the butterflies today and keep the camera tucked away - with a bit of success. It did show that my ad hoc estimates of numbers were fairly close to what emerged from more rigorous counting, which is encouraging. All told, I counted 110 butterflies, seeing all eleven of the species that have appeared on my local patch thus far in 2020. The breakdown:

Holly Blue 27
Orange Tip 24
Peacock 18
Small White 17
Speckled Wood 7
Comma 6
GV White 4
Brimstone 3
Large White 2
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Red Admiral 1

This is the first day I have seen all eleven, and it was made by the appearance of that solitary Red Admiral. As with the only other one I've seen this year, I suspect it to be an immigrant - overwinterers would have appeared a while ago and made their presence known. This time, I made an exception and took a few photos, particularly as it was (typically) a bit of a poser.
RA1 150420.JPG
A few other odd ones from the day:
SpW1 150420.JPG
PK1 150420.JPG
GVW1 150420.JPG
Comma2 150420.JPG
OT2 150420.JPG
HB3 150420.JPG
HB1 150420.JPG
This is the 14th consecutive day I have been out on my local patch - rarely achieveable at any time of year, let alone in April. Amazingly, there is always something different, and some little gem that makes it worth the excursion.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Red Admiral Dave :D - they've been a bit scarce late, I saw only my second the other day and it was a lot more battered than yours :mrgreen: 8) What do you reckon to the clarification to the 'driving to do exercise' rules? Does this mean that I can drive to Bentley Wood so long as I spend at least an hour there walking around after Pearls? Would Cotley Hill be within the bounds? :wink: :?

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great seeing the Red Admiral Dave, I'm still hoping for a Brimstone and Holly Blue and Red Admiral, I shouldn't grumble though I've had a great time and not been out of the garden with the exception of the Comma, we're back with the cold wind today though. :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:45 pm Holly Blue 27
Orange Tip 24
Peacock 18
Small White 17
Speckled Wood 7
Comma 6
GV White 4
Brimstone 3
Large White 2
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Red Admiral 1
Impressive list is that, Dave.

It's the top and bottom that stand out. 27 Holly Blues is tremendous, but I prefer the single Red Admiral to be honest, given the dearth of them there have been so far this spring.

17 Small Whites is also encouraging for the spring brood.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, the Red Admiral was good to see. Though they do make it through the winter, numbers don't seem to be great and they are often early (Jan/Feb) sightings ahead of the true hibernators and it may well be that they have succumbed to old age by the time the other species are out in numbers. This means that most sightings like this one are probably immigrants - it is known that we receive significant migrant numbers from the continent most years. We are probably also about to see the handful of new individuals hatched from overwintering caterpillars as observed by Vince down here in the temperate south of England. Quite a complicated picture really! :)

Thursday 16th April. Another sunny morning, with increasing hazy sunshine as the day went on, and an increasingly muggy feel to things. Even a few raindrops, something hardly seen since the deluges stopped in mid-March. Only around 80 butterflies seen today and only eight different species, but as my walk today started before nine, I found a few just starting their day with a bit of breakfast. Orange Tips to start with:
OT1 160420.JPG
OT2 160420.JPG
OT5 160420.JPG
OT7 160420.JPG
OT6 160420.JPG
Then a male Green-veined White, which was only a metre or so away from the male Orange Tip.
GVW1 160420.JPG
GVW3 160420.JPG
GVW4 160420.JPG
GVW5 160420.JPG
Just for contrast, a dazzling new (though slightly crumpled) male Small White.
SW1 160420.JPG
After this burst, the walk took in the customary Peacocks and Commas...
PK1 160420.JPG
PK2 160420.JPG
Comma1 160420.JPG
...plus a singleton Small Tortoiseshell. There has almost always been one, though generally just that - one only.
ST1 160420.JPG
Finally, as things warmed up, the Holly Blues appeared.
HB3 160420.JPG
HB4 160420.JPG
HB6 160420.JPG
HB7 160420.JPG
HB8 160420.JPG
Spring is such a good season, don't you think? :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It certainly is Dave,it's a cracking season with so many species of butterfly :D A fantastic array of shots - that Small White was a cracker :D 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - that Small White was dazzling. :)

Friday 17th April was cool, and very soon turned cloudy and then wet, with the first significant rain in about a month. A quick walk before the rain produced a solitary Speckled Wood, and nothing else. Very nearly a blank day to interrupt the run - but not quite... :)

Saturday 18th April started off even cooler and the overnight rain had left a lot of puddles. The forecast for the day didn't look that promising, but around half three in the afternoon, it was confounded by the appearance of the sun. Though it was hardly blazing, there was enough of it to warm things up to a reasonable 16 degrees, and spark off some butterfly activity. I found around 40 all told, though only six species. Orange Tips were first off the mark and predominated throughout. I found one roosting on a cuckoo flower plant and waiting for the sun to appear. It was sufficiently comatose to wander onto my finger briefly, but once back on the flower the sun appeared and it quickly opened up before dashing off completely revived. Reviewing the shots, I see that the next generation has squeezed into the frame as well.
OT3 180420.JPG
OT4 180420.JPG
OT5 180420.JPG
OT8 180420.JPG
Small and Green-veined Whites were also warming up. The former bask on the brambles and make brief forays to and from the dandelions, but the latter flit constantly at low level between flowers and often bask on the flowerheads. After a while you can fairly reliably tell which is which in flight.
SW1 180420.JPG
GVW1 180420.JPG
Only a handful of Holly Blues were flying, including this male...
HB2 180420.JPG
...and I spotted this rather worn one sitting it out.
HB3 180420.JPG
A very fresh female was also seen, but basking high up in the holly tree mentioned in my earlier posts.

It doesn't take a lot of sunshine to bring out the Speckled Woods - after all they spend a lot of their time in the shade - and I managed this context shot with the River Colne in the background.
SpW3a 180420.JPG
A bit further on, another Specklie put up another butterfly - this turned out to be a fresh-looking Red Admiral, but before I could get more than just a record shot, it set off in pursuit of the smaller butterfly.
RA1 180420.JPG
A few metres further on again, I thought the Red Admiral had returned to sit more amenably for me. It was only after looking closely at the photos later that I am pretty sure this was actually a different butterfly.
RA3 180420.JPG
RA4 180420.JPG
Though the shot of the first one is distinctly blurred by distance, the telltale spots of a bialbata are visible when it's enlarged - the second butterfly does not have these. Both butterflies looked new, the second in particular is a lovely velvety creature. Having said in my last post that locally-emerged specimens might be making an appearance at any time, this could well be what these two are. I shall keep my eyes open for more.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your day yesterday very much mirrors mine.
There was a thunderstorm here Friday night, which freshened things up.
It was all go from the start when I arrived at the old railway just after 11am.

I envy your Holly Blue sightings and images, :mrgreen: there's plenty of them locally,
but they just won't play ball!. Good to see some Red Admirals about at last.

Great stuff, stay well,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You were lucky Dave, the cloud thinned a bit over here but couldn't really call it sunny spells, didn't stop me popping out for some exorcise though :), I managed 3 butterflies!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Red Admirals Dave :D I had to do with just exercise yesterday as there wasn't even a glimpse of sun all day and I didn't see a single butterfly so you were lucky Dave :mrgreen: Mind you today was a different story - what a difference a day makes :D :wink:

Have a godun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You're seeing plenty of butterflies, Dave, and seem to have no trouble getting them to pose for you. I'm highly envious of those Green Veined Whites, and the Red Admiral is welcome too - I believe there has been a recent influx in the south.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great set of Butterflies Dave, especially the Red Admiral :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”