Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. I'm hoping we can reach that sort of figure next year, but the good news is that we now know they're already spreading.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Small Pearls On The March

Close monitoring of the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary reintroduction (following the 'BC Code on Introductions and Re-introductions 2010’), conducted as part of the BC Fritillaries for the Future project in 2017, continues to produce very encouraging news. Yesterday (30 May) I teamed up with Patrick Moore to count SPBF on the reserves, with our total of 58 individuals comprising 43 in Rowland Wood and 15 on Park Corner Heath.

Just as we finished the count, we bumped into Peter Farrant, the bearer of more good news. Peter had found three male SPBF at widely separated locations within other parts of the Vert Wood complex. These indications that the butterfly is attempting colonisation of the wider landscape at such an early stage, exceeds expectations.

We then sat back to enjoy the spectacle of SPBF collecting to roost in small groups. It wasn't long before we met other enthusiasts with the same idea; now an almost daily ritual on sunny evenings, as more people discover the joys of watching these stunning butterflies head for bed in such peaceful and beautiful surroundings.
BC SPBF Rowland Wood 30.5.19.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot Neil and a great success :D :mrgreen: - if only the same was happening at Bentley Wood :? mind you four definite individuals there today whilst nowhere near the figures you quote at least means that there is a chance that they'll cling on :? I discovered this morning that it's also nice to be there when they wake up, if anything even more tranquil :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

The good news keeps on coming, Neil....

....meanwhile, that's the best Fritillary image I've yet seen. The light is perfect and that little tuft on the other side of the grass blade just tops it off.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Beautiful image of a Sussex SPBF there Neil,best get meself down there to admire all the good work being done. :D

Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. Things are looking very good down on the reserves - I can't keep away from the place at the moment!
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Start Of Summer

Yesterday (1 June) I attended a BC event along with our Branch Chair, Jess Price, and several trustees and members of staff, to show some of our supporters how the Rowland Wood & Park Corner Heath reserves have been developed and much improved over recent years. The success of the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary reintroduction was high on the agenda and the butterfly performed well, with sightings widely spread over both reserves.

However, the numbers seen were relatively modest compared to recent days, as the weather was just too good! As is often the case when it gets very hot, many butterflies were seeking out shade and sitting deep within the undergrowth, particularly during the middle part of the day.

Other species seen included Grizzled, Dingy and Large Skippers, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Small Heath and Brimstone (egg-laying on buckthorn). We also saw Meadow Brown, which I always use to mark the official start of summer.
BC SPBF female, Park Corner Heath 1.6.19.jpg
BC Meadow Brown, Rowland Wood 1.6.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! Meadow Brown.

Is it that time already?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Reserves And Beyond

It appears that the first brood of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary on the BC reserves in Sussex is now past its best; yesterday (3 June) I had to work hard to find 15 individuals flying, although some of those seen were in mint condition. However, they will still be around for a couple of weeks yet and there is the possibility of a further surge in numbers, mirroring the emergence pattern we saw in 2018.

There was more good news from further afield within the wider Vert Wood complex. With the managing agent's permission I searched a neighbouring property and found three SPBF, including a mating pair, more than 0.5 km from our reserves - they're spreading!

I then moved on to Ditchling Common, where I photographed the fabulous Black Hairstreak pupa found by David Cook. No adults were seen despite favourable conditions. The Bee Orchids at Ditchling are looking particularly good this year.
BC SPBF pair, Vert Wood 3.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak pupa, Ditchling Common 3.6.19.jpg
BC Grasshopper nymph on Bee Orchid, Ditchling Common 3.6.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dance Of The Longhorns

Today (4 June) I visited the Vert Woods Community Woodland (just over the road from our reserves) for the first time in two years and was given an extensive tour by their forester, Tom Ottaway. The progress made far exceeded my expectations and much of the habitat now looks highly suitable for the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, although many other species are set to benefit.

There's a new forest road to facilitate harvesting, wider and better connected rides, and new glades. The ground flora is fast improving and heather is regenerating in many places, as the old Vert Wood is gradually uncovered. I came away very excited about the prospects for the wider woodland complex here, and was further enthused following a later meeting with the manager of Sandpit Wood, which lies to the south of Park Corner Heath.

Although the weather wasn't good enough to shift more than the occasional Speckled Wood, warmer spells were sufficient to send dancing clouds of the longhorn moth Nemophora degeerella into the air.
BC Nemophora degeerella (1) Vert Wood 4.6.19.jpg
BC Nemophora degeerella (2) Vert Wood 4.6.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fritillaries And Adders

By the time I had reached the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves this afternoon (5 June) the weather had turned cool and cloudy. However, this didn't stop me finding Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at roost, and with the help of others, who had already marked the positions of several butterflies, I finally ended up with a tally of 11. A sunnier day would be required to achieve a more representative count. Although now past peak, SPBFs are still emerging, with fresh male and female examples seen. I get the impression that their lifespan is quite short and the turnover rate high.

I also spent some time stalking a couple of beautiful Adders in Rowland Wood, having previously discovered their favourite spot to bask in dull but warm weather.
BC SPBF male, Rowland Wood 5.6.19.jpg
BC SPBF female, Rowland Wood 5.6.19.jpg
BC Adder (1) Rowland Wood 5.6.19.jpg
BC Adder pair, Rowland Wood 5.6.19.jpg
BC Adder (2) Rowland Wood 5.6.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Those adders are stunning, Neil. The only time I've ever got close to one is when I nearly stepped on one basking by the entrance gate at Whixhall Moss.

Inevitable that the Small Pearls are starting to wane, but they've had a decent season and who knows, there may be a second brood!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. I think a second brood is inevitable. :D
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Another Day With Small Pearls

This afternoon (6 June) I managed to find a total of 13 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary on the BC Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood reserves. Nine of these were females, which are much harder to locate than the males, as they flutter slowly amongst the increasingly tall vegetation, periodically taking rests between bouts of egg-laying.

I also watched a drunken brawl between five or six Red Admiral, which were regularly returning to a fermenting sap run on an oak in Rowland Wood.

The highlight for me today was the place itself; I think we've created something stunningly beautiful here.
BC SPBF PCH (1) 6.6.19.jpg
BC SPBF PCH (2) 6.6.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:...The highlight for me today was the place itself; I think we've created something stunningly beautiful here.
That must be hugely satisfying, Neil. That's one of the great things about butterflies - they take you to the most wonderful, yet not particularly well trodden, places.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David

I'll take some scenic shots of the reserves next spring, when the Bluebells are out. By then, all of the scars from the recent major forestry operations will have healed, and the place will be looking its very best.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pruni Party

The Ditchling Black Hairstreak Festival has started slowly this year, with only about half-a-dozen males flying so far (at 8 June), but that should change rapidly from tomorrow onwards. As always, they are posing beautifully on the Bracken here. Ben Greenaway kindly showed me a couple of the pupae he's been following.
BC Black Hairstreak male (1) Ditchling Common 8.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak pupa, Ditchling Common 8.6.19.jpg
BC Black Hairstreak male (2) Ditchling Common 8.6.19.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Brilliant Neil ! I,m keeping my fingers crossed for the week after next ,hope they,re still about ………………….
Absolutely bucketed down when we went up to Oxford area ,a year or two back ! keeping my fingers crossed that the weathers kinder this time.
Regards Allan.W.
John W

Post by John W »

Hi Neil,

Good to see you again today. Lovely shot of the Black Hairstreak pupa!

Cheers
John W
trevor

Post by trevor »

Something went seriously wrong yesterday!.
You, and others, were enjoying Black Hairstreaks,
and I was washing the kitchen floor/gardening.

Great images,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”