Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

You might be able to get the odd Red Admiral over the next few days Trevor - fingers crossed :D Here we go with Lockdown 2 - just like all sequels it isn't going to be as good :? :(

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

You could be right there Dave. At work there was an outside electrical cupboard,
and this was the winter home for many Small Tortoiseshells.

Couldn't manage a Red Admiral today Wurzel, but how about a fresh Holly Blue?.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds great Trevor :D :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:19 pm...how about a fresh Holly Blue?
Yes please, Trevor, if you've got one. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was intrigued by a report, on the Sussex BC sightings page, of a strong emergence
of November Holly Blues at Southwick/Shoreham harbour. At least seven were found on the 4th.

This morning I had my first coffee of the day under one of the most spectacular sunrises I have ever seen,
and this inspired me to pop over to Southwick to look for a November Holly Blue or two.
After searching for a while I found a very fresh female Holly Blue in ' lockdown ', perched on an apple
leaf and having to endure a chilly easterly breeze.
After several shots I decided to thoroughly search the rest of the site, but no more were found,
only a couple of Silver Y moths were seen. Upon return to the Holly Blue, about 45 mins later,
she was beginning to warm up, and took a couple of feeble flights and finally opened up to bask,
in the warmer conditions she was soon off and disappeared over towards the main road.

Without doubt this was my finest ever November butterfly!.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Attachments
This mornings spectacular sunrise.
This mornings spectacular sunrise.
P1240992.JPG
P1250002.JPG
P1250004.JPG
P1250012.JPG
This boat has quite a following!.
This boat has quite a following!.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very nice third brood female Holly Blue, Trevor (speaking as a connoisseur you understand...). :wink: :) About as new as you can get, and beautifully marked. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Trevor she is an absolute stunner! :shock: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Certainly warms the cockles on this chilly night 8) Was this a case of "Red sky in the morning, butterflies are calling"? :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:00 pm...Without doubt this was my finest ever November butterfly!
I can assure you, Trevor, that it would have been mine too had I seen it. :mrgreen:

She's a wonderfully dusky-looking specimen too. Whether that's because she's a third brooder or just random I don't know.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave, definitely a butterfly for the connoisseur. Today's might also have been if she had opened up!

Cheers Wurzel, a stunner indeed especially given the date.

Thanks David, she was a lovely specimen with very, bold, black markings.

Today I returned to Southwick to try my luck. Despite full sun, the morning was marred by a very
chilly breeze blowing from the west. I walked as far as the fuel tanks, searching thoroughly as I went.
Nothing at all was seen. Returning,as I reached roughly the half way point between the fuel tanks and the steps
I saw a distant ' white triangle ' perched on a leaf. Not convinced it was a butterfly I took a shot on
full zoom, then enlarged the image on playback, sure enough a Holly Blue!.
Now the problem of getting closer. The butterfly was someway up the bank in a bramble thicket, not easy!.
After some bad language and plentiful thorns I managed to get just close enough for a few sensible shots.
Although she never opened up to bask, I was able to identify the sex when the breeze briefly blew her wings open.
Amazingly, given the date this was another fresh example.
Nothing else was found, and I left with the thought that the fat Lady is about to sing.

I have included a view of the site for the benefit of those who are not local to Sussex.
Attachments
P1250019.JPG
P1250030.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Excellent, Trevor. :) It looks as though a whole selection of eggs were laid down there which have all been subjected to the same sheltered warm and sunny conditions, leading to a completion of their life cycle very late in the year. As none of us seem to have seen the species in this spot before, it's possible the butterfly's parasites didn't manage to find it either, leading to a high proportion of successful emergences. Whatever the reason, great to see. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave, I imagine an egg laden female found the site a few months back.
As you say if there were no parasites the survival rate would be high, helped
no doubt by the micro climate down there.

I seem to remember your local patch produced a brood even later in the month last year.

Keep well, here's to next season!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If the over large maiden does warble imminently that's a cracking way to finish off the season Trevor :D Cheers as well for the photo of the habitat - it does help to build the picture in your mind when reading the reports :D 8)

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Smashing Holly Blue Trevor :mrgreen: your so lucky with the weather down there, it's done nothing but rain here on and off for days :( Take care, Goldie :)
David M

Post by David M »

Looks a nice site, Trevor, and a great sighting for approaching mid-November. Such a shame rain and storms have arrived, otherwise the 'fat lady' would still be rehearsing. :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel, Goldie & David.

Over the past few years I have posted images of a particularly early clump of Daffodils
in the South Road car park in Hailsham. The earliest blooms I can remember were on
Boxing Day 2015. A visit this morning found them very advanced, and by the looks of it
some will be out before Christmas!. This will mean that they have flowered twice this year!.

What a crazy year,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1250039.JPG
P1250036.JPG
P1250037.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Trevor things have been a bit out of whack this year - but biannual Daffs :shock: I saw in some newspapers that we could still get a White Christmas :shock: Mind you as they've reported it it'll got the same way as the Bar-be-que Summers do :roll: :wink:

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

WISHING EVERYONE ON HERE A GREAT CHRISTMAS AND A MUCH BETTER 2021!. :D

All the very best,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Trevor, the same to you, mine will be strange this year, no Kent I'm afraid for me.

I have no Daff's yet but Snow Drop's are out in my Rockery :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Like you, we have a few clumps of daffs on the Gower that look to be ready to flower, Trevor. Apart from two or three mild frosts, it's been pretty mild so I guess t's not surprising that things are so in advance of where they should be.

All the best for Christmas and let's say good riddance to 2020 at the end of next week!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Goldie and David.

Some of my Snowdrops are out, and those Daffodils had five in flower yesterday.
As for 2020, my sentiments exactly David.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1250048.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”