Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a cracking photo Mike - I shall look at the others later. It's a good job you're not any closer to me else I'd be camped out in your garden! Would just love to see it.

Now to add to my catalogue of disasters on Christmas Eve the drains blocked and flooded the fox compound. The following month the central heating boiler broke down leaving me without any form of heat for 3 days. Problem seemed to follow problem and my energy levels and motivation were low. Nevertheless, I felt it was high time I made the effort to get out there again and as Noar Hill is only 10 minutes away and the Dukes had been spotted I decided it was now or never. I had forgotten how much pleasure there is to be gained just from the sight of butterflies and my mood lifted instantly. It was hardly a surprise to find a fair few others on a similar mission and nice to see familiar faces including Mark and Phil. Phil had already photographed a Duke and pointed me in the direction where it was last seen. Sure enough, it was still around. I had also forgotten just how difficult this photography lark is and tried to remember everything I had been told last year although I still have not practiced with my tripod - Sorry Maurice if you're reading this but I shall get round to it. Whilst I was watching this singleton a mating pair flew past my face and landed in the grass beside me. I snatched a quick photo before they decided to set off again and as they did so they separated. Shame! The photo I took is certainly not worthy of this site but a few I consider acceptable below:
P1130067ad.jpg
P1130134d.jpg
P1130120d.jpg
I struggled to take an open winged shot that I was happy with. I had achieved it last year with a Chalkhill Blue when every bit of white fringe was sharp and crisp. I recalled Maurice's advice, echoed by Nick, that you need to be square on to the subject. This would have involved standing almost directly over the subject and the shadow cast would have caused the butterfly to move. Nevertheless, I am enclosing this shot as the Duke seemed relatively dark compared to his cohorts. However, I resolved to return soon for another bite of the cherry.
P1130181d.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote:a few I consider acceptable below:
I envy your being only 10 mins from Noar Hill. It's a wonderful place, not just for butterflies, but with a good selection of Orchid species,too.

I looked at the EXIF data on your last photo:
Focal Length: 85.9mm (35mm equivalent: 483mm)
Aperture: f/4.4
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 160
Exposure Bias: -1.00 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

You were using a very long focal length (equiv. to nearly 500mm in 35mm terms) with a wide aperture of f/4.4, which is a recipe for very shallow depth-of-field. This shows in your last photo, where one wing tip is going out of focus. I would try to get a bit closer (easy to say from my armchair) or not fill the frame so fully and zoom back a little. You were using aperture priority mode, so could have selected a smaller aperture; around f/8 should be better. Of course, that would slow your shutter speed but, with some sort of support (I used a monopod), that should not be a problem down to 1/125s or so. I notice you also used -1 stop exposure bias, which is good for strong colour and no blown-out highlights, but -2/3 stop is usually sufficient and would claw back a bit of shutter speed. In dull light,I would not apply exposure compensation, as you need all the light you can get!

Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike for taking the time and trouble to look at my settings and make recommendations. I have just had an email from an excellent photographer whom I admire and respect. He has read your comments and tells me I would do well to heed your advice as it is always spot on. As you already know I am very keen to learn and improve but sometimes wonder if it is too late to teach an old dog new tricks :lol: :lol: . Whilst I was at Noar Hill the other day I was told that a Frog orchid could be seen there and the general vicinity described. Having only ever seen these on TV I would love to see it for real so if anyone knows the location and feel that I can be trusted with this precious information, a pm would be appreciated.

Now, my next outing was to be in search of the Grizzled Skipper and I decided that Rake Bottom was the place to go. Even the 'easy' path to this venue is incredibly steep, and with hindsight, going so early in the season when I am still relatively unfit, was probably a mistake. My legs are still aching! The first butterfly I saw was in fact a Duke and I spent a few pleasurable minutes watching him before several Grizzlies caught my attention. It was warming up fast so I took a couple of shots before my attention was caught by what I initially thought was a pair of Grizzlies dog-fighting. I quickly realised that one of them was a Green Hairstreak, my first sighting of the season. Despite seeing at least 2 others, I failed to get a photo. And again, with what I am fairly certain was a Dingy Skipper but which also disappeared quickly. I decided the butterflies were now too active and resolved to return later in the day when the temperature was cooler. On reaching the top of the hill a gorgeous Holly Blue flew past without stopping - also a first for this year. Not many photo opportunities but a good visit none-the-less.
P1130243ad.jpg
P1130267.JPG
Returning to the same venue later the same day found the temperature cooler but a very strong breeze blowing up the valley presenting its own problems concerning photography. Nevertheless, I counted about 18 Grizzlies on a variety of plants - in fact, a couple of plants held 2 butterflies. After taking some shots I began yet again the long, arduous, uphill climb, consoling myself with the thought that at least my thighs would be beautifully toned by the end of this season!!!
P1130299d.jpg
P1130333ad.jpg
P1130374d.jpg
P1130394ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Super Grizzlie undersides :D I especially like the last two :D :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike. I shall keep trying to improve, spurred on by seeing some of the super photos on this site.

Late yesterday afternoon I set off in search of Green Hairstreaks. Before I even got to the bottom of my lane it was raining. I considered turning back but remembered last years experiences and decided to continue in the hope that either a. the rain would stop, or b. I would find the butterfly anyway. By the time I arrived on site the sky was black and the cricket match in progress was just being called off. I realised that nothing would be flying in these conditions and that I would have to search quite hard. I found a sheltered corner and gently shook a Hawthorn bush. To my surprise, a Green Hairstreak flew out and landed about 8 foot away at the other side of a ditch. To my frustration, by the time I had gotten over the ditch I had lost him and no amount of subsequent searching produced results. Soaked to the skin (no coat) and squelching shoes I wondered if this was to be a repeat of last summer.

This morning was brighter so I returned to the same spot and to my delight was rewarded with no less than 6 GH. 2 specimens had considerable damage to their wings, a couple were showing signs of wear and tear but there were at least 2 in quite good condition. As the warmth increased I was interested to note that the GH behaved in much the same way as the WLH last year (D'you remember Mark?). When warming up they actually lay on their side on a leaf to absorb the maximum heat.
P1130520d.jpg
I have always hoped to see or take a photo of a mating pair (has anyone managed that?) but today was not going to be the day. Nevertheless, I spent a happy hour or so watching these amazing butterflies.
P1130593ad.jpg
P1130606ad.jpg
P1130641ad.jpg
P1130664ad.jpg
P1130632ad.jpg
I couldn't help but recall Wurzel's attempt to find these butterflies last year. If you are ever around this area Wurzel please let me know and I can take you to this exact spot.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,
Some lovely Green Hair shots there. The progress you've made over the last few years is impressive. :D
Best Wishes, Neil

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline

Welcome back, great to be reading your diary again. Sorry you have had such a tough time over the winter. Just admiring your Grizzled Skipper and Green Hairstreak photos :D . I have not yet made it to Rake Bottom but hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Where did you find your Green Hairstreaks? I have not seen any since I was a child and would like to try and see some this year before they have gone.

David M

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Pauline,
Some lovely Green Hair shots there. The progress you've made over the last few years is impressive. :D
Agreed. All of those images are of excellent quality (especially considering how Green Hairstreaks are not the easiest of subjects).

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Agreed as well, cracking shots :mrgreen: - I might take you up on your offer Pauline but first I'm going to try ignoring Green Hairstreak to see if they'll come to me :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil - I appreciate your comments, but you know, you have given me a fair bit of help and advice over the last couple of years, along with a few others, so hopefully it is beginning to pay off. Don't think I could have done it on my own.

Thank you also David but has there ever been a butterfly that is easy to photograph :lol: :lol: They all seem to have a particular problem - white fringe, too fast, too high up, wrong colour etc. etc. (always blame the butterfly, never the photographer, that should be my motto :lol: ).

Hi Paul (please tell me I have your name right as I couldn't even remember my own password :roll: ). Thank you for your remarks. You should find Green Hairstreaks at Rake Bottom as I have seen several there but the recent pics were taken at Wrecclesham - I think it's known as the Sand Pit. Green Hairstreaks are widespread across this site and if you visit in a few weeks or so you will hopefully see Glanvilles also.

Thank you Wurzel and good luck - the offer is always there.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

No car for the next couple of days so a few photos from that return visit to Noar Hill:
P1130512ad.jpg
P1130463d.jpg
P1130508d.jpg
P1130504d.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots :D they've given me itchy feet, I want to get out and find some Dukes :mrgreen: but unfortunately the weather isn't playing ball :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Thank you also David but has there ever been a butterfly that is easy to photograph
Brown Hairstreak.

They don't mind how close you get (they'll even hitch a ride on your finger if they're in the mood) :)

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Pauline wrote:Hi Paul (please tell me I have your name right as I couldn't even remember my own password :roll: ). Thank you for your remarks. You should find Green Hairstreaks at Rake Bottom as I have seen several there but the recent pics were taken at Wrecclesham - I think it's known as the Sand Pit. Green Hairstreaks are widespread across this site and if you visit in a few weeks or so you will hopefully see Glanvilles also.
Hi Pauline
Yes well remembered and thanks for the info :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good luck Paul - let me know how you get on.

David, you make it sound so easy but how d'you get them down from the trees in the first place :? The last few years it has been quite difficult here at local sites possibly due to a certain amount of management.

Wurzel, please don't talk to me about the weather :( :( . I can't believe it is nearly June!!! Here in Hants we have had hail again today (7 degrees and it is currently tipping it down) and the forecast is not good. Not sure I can stand another Summer of soakings :roll: I have just put the heating back on :!:

Good news is the car has passed MOT so if the rain ever stops .........

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:
David, you make it sound so easy but how d'you get them down from the trees in the first place :?
Patience.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The storm raged throughout the night and the wind was fierce. The trees creaked and groaned as the branches lashed the outbuildings. At 2.30 am I could hear Saffron whimpering in fear. I would need to reassure her. As I crossed the garden I could see a smallish badger snuffling around, disturbing the grass seed which is just starting to come through. One of the badgers seems to be trying to dig a sett behind the potting shed at the base of an old tree. I have always wanted a sett in the garden but I am now a little undecided. It is making a dreadful mess and I have recently had a considerable amount of work done on the garden. As I entered the fox compound I could see Foxy sleeping soundly in one of the kennels. Saffron immediately ran to me so I picked her up and carried her to another kennel where I spent a fair bit of time calming her down, reassuring her and giving her a good groom. Chance as usual was completely unperturbed and pottered around hoping to find a morsel of food. It was soon after 4.00am that I got back to my bed so although the weather has now brightened I do not think I have a great deal of energy left to get out with my camera. We shall see - a strong coffee might do wonders :lol: :lol:
DSC01983d.jpg
DSC08137d.jpg
DSC08321.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Not quite the pose I had hoped for but beggars can't be choosers - perhaps there will be time yet for that lovely flash of orange:
P1130427d.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline your Pic's are fantastic, if mine turn out half has good in a couple of years I'll be really happy :D
Love your Animal's that's just me , I've sat up in the night has well when my dog was sick, just had to make sure she was ok :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some lovely photos in the past few posts Pauline :D

Good to see you got your Orange Tip. I am sure they will be around for a little while still, I am still seeing very fresh ones around, the fresher they are, the darker the black tips on the forewings are.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Personal Diaries”