Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by trevor »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Jack
Looks like a job for the Jeremy Kyle Show.
BWs, Neil
Hope you don't watch that crap, Neil.
Great Toad orgy.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:I visited a small pond.....an estimated 500 toads were crammed into the pond...
:shock:

I've often wondered where they all come from and where they disperse to afterwards!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Toads

A few more pics for any amphibiphiles out there.
Toad and spawn 2.jpg
Toad and spawn 1.jpg
Toad face.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Springhead Hill Management

Many thanks to South Downs National Park Ranger Simon Mockford and new Assistant Ranger Sophie Trice for finishing this winter's management tasks at Springhead (a.k.a. Kithurst) Hill on Tuesday (12 March). We performed some light scrub work in the meadow, around the main Duke of Burgundy lekking area, and strimmed off the coarse vegetation over the large scallop created by felling some tall conifers and Ash a few years ago. Thanks also to West Sussex County Council for strimming and raking the plateau situated above the access road, and for performing badly needed repairs to the road, which had become seriously potholed.
BC Springhead work party (1) 12.3.19.jpg
BC Springhead work party (2) 12.3.19.jpg
BC Springhead work party (3) 12.3.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Nature Day

A wildlife hunt with my kids today (17 March) started at Mill Hill, where there's an impressive display of violets on the lower slopes. I was very impressed with the extensive scrub control performed by the South Downs National Park Authority over the winter; the site is looking in great shape. We failed to see the Adders I'd hoped for, but we did see a single Peacock and two very early Pyrausta despicata moths.

We then moved on to Rewell Wood, to watch the toads spawning in a small pond. There were far fewer than the 400 - 500 I saw here on 9 March, but still well in excess of 100.

After nine years my Panasonic Lumix FZ38 finally started to behave erratically, so I've upgraded to the nearly-new FZ38 I bought a few years back. I've been so happy with this model that I see little point in getting to know something else.
BC Violets, Mill Hill 17.3.19.jpg
BC Toads, Rewell Wood 17.3.19.jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It’s served you well,Neil! The view finder on mine packed up years ago so, following your example, I purchased a backup last year.

ATB for the season.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Mark; a good move. I've even invested £17 in a new camera case!
I'll hopefully catch up with you somewhere this season.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Winter Work Completed

Many thanks to the 15 members of the Brighton Conservation Volunteers who completed the 2018/2019 management work on Park Corner Heath yesterday (19 March). Regular conservation work parties by BCV and our own volunteers have cleared a significant area (shown in green on the map) of numerous small trees and scrub, which have been invading this remnant of a once much larger area of rare lowland heath habitat, thereby extending the currently open area outlined in white.

I realise that this sort of work isn't universally popular, so it's important to point out that we have a duty to retain the characteristic features of this Site of Special Scientific Interest, which cannot be allowed to succumb to the development of 'secondary woodland'. We also have a legal duty to achieve the targets set out by our grant-funded Countryside Stewardship Agreement. Most importantly, the work will benefit the woodland ground flora, several species of regionally threatened butterfly and our important reptile fauna. Thank you to everyone who has been involved in this vital work over the winter.
PCH works 2018-2019.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Surprised no-one else has said it, but yet again you and your teams of volunteers have moved mountains to protect and to help extend butterfly habitats during the winter period.

If every county/region in the UK could aspire to do the same thing then perhaps the losses of the last few decades might be reversed somewhat.

Well done, Neil, and I hope this year's flight periods see your efforts rewarded.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. We certainly have some great volunteers in Sussex, but I'm sure there's plenty of similar work going on elsewhere which doesn't get reported on UKB.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Butterflies Reappear

Following a quiet three weeks, butterflies reappeared in good numbers yesterday (24 March). While driving from Worthing to Heyshott I spotted 19 male Brimstone flying along the road verges, and a further 17 during a walk up Heyshott Escarpment, along the edges of Charlton Forest and in a full circuit of the Graffham Down Trust reserves. While on foot I also saw 28 Peacock, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and an Orange Underwing moth.
BC Peacock, Graffham Down Trust reserves 24.3.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Ferring Rife

An afternoon walk up Ferring Rife (east bank) today (25 March) produced 14 Small Tortoiseshell (a low number for this site) and 3 Peacock.
BC Peacock, Ferring Rife 25.3.19.jpg
BC Small Tortoiseshell courtship, Ferring Rife 25.3.19.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great to see things building nicely - 28 Peacocks :shock: :D - hopefully the warm spell will hold for a while and things can really get into the groove :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those are impressive returns on the Brimstone & Peacock front, Neil. Things are looking encouraging at the moment.

At this rate it mightn't be long till the first Dukes are on the wing!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel and David. Wishing you both (and all UKBers) a bountiful season; we're off!
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Spring 2019

A couple of hours in a damp meadow near Billingshurst marked the official start of my personal spring, with a beautiful male Orange-tip. Unfortunately he was too active for anything resembling a good photograph. However, a very smart Speckled Wood was much more obliging. A few Brimstone, Peacock and a Comma were also seen.
BC Speckled Wood, Billingshurst 26.3.19.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

As I read that Neil I looked left at one of my favourite framed photos: a lovely damp meadow near Billingshurst with masses of Cuckooo Flowers.

Today I was half expected a post reporting an Orange Tip sighting. I wonder what is the earliest ever date for the British Isles?

Meanwhile, my own Orange Tip chrysalises are being kept in the fridge for another four weeks or so to avoid early emergence. My Dame's Violet (aka Sweet Rocket) plants are coming along nicely and should be at just the right stage for the Orange Tip season (in May here). Orange Tips absolutely love Dame's Violet for egg laying.

Jack
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I need to make a date with my diary and make it to Billingshurst this year, after failing last time round. I’m guessing second week of April would be good...
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack and Mark. The spring flowers and Orange-tips should be at their best here in about 10-14 days time.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Monitoring Barred Tooth-striped

Last night (26 March) a small group of us searched for the rare Barred Tooth-striped moth on the slopes of Mill Hill at Shoreham. We monitor numbers here by torchlight, which is the best way to find this species as it sits along the edge of mature clumps of Wild Privet, appearing just after full darkness. We only found three, but all were in mint condition, suggesting that they are only just starting to emerge.
BC Barred Tooth-striped, Mill Hill (1) 26.3.19.jpg
BC Barred Tooth-striped, Mill Hill (2) 26.3.19.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”