Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by David M »

That sounds like a frustrating morning, Paul, but even so you turned it around by the end of the day. Looking for Orange Tips is often better in cloudier weather, and those underside images prove it. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, 3pm is when my silent alarm goes off when chasing Orange-tips, when I know I can stop being just a spectator to their antics. :D
Thanks David, Orange-tips make everything better! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 2022

Thursday 14th. Not a great deal to report. I took my camera to work with me but lunch time was a bit cloudy. After work I planned a little wander on the Marshes. Although the afternoon had brightened up a bit, by the time I arrived it had properly clouded over and it looked like I was going to daw a blank until I found a Comma glued to a baked dry mud path. Anyway, a few weird looks later from passers-by…
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, 3pm is when a silent alarm goes off in my head when chasing Orange-tips, when I know I can stop being just a spectator to their antics.
Thanks David, Orange-tips make everything better!

April 2022

Saturday 16th
. A sunny bank holiday, in the UK… :shock: Well one thing was for sure, my local patches were going to be rammed with dog walkers, sun worshippers, picnickers etc so getting out of the city was a must! Targets for the weekend were the spring Skippers and Green Hairstreaks which had started to appear on various sites. The train down to Shoreham-by-sea was pleasantly quiet and by half nine I was at Mill Hill. Now the Blackthorn had mostly gone over, the remaining hibernators had to switch to a different blossom for breakfast, several Peacock were on and around this Apple today.
IMG_3452.JPG
Down on the slope I managed to catch glimpses of individuals of both Skippers but quickly lost sight of them and for a while a Yellowhammer was the only thing to get it’s picture taken.
IMG_3489.JPG
On a second circuit of the lower I disturbed another (or the same) Grizzled Skipper who this time didn’t zip off out of sight.
IMG_3509.JPG
Nothing else showed up so it being still quite early I decided to take a wander along some other country paths in the area I’ve not explored before. Along the lane leading north from Mill Hill I found my first female Green-veined White of the year. With cars rapidly closing in I just had time for some grab shots from my long lens, she was a lovely dusky lady though.
IMG_3552.JPG
Whites, Brimstones, Peacocks and a few speckled Wood were found along the lanes I explored but only the Specklies settled in the rapidly warming conditions. Off in the distance I could hear a Raven croaking along with the continuous sound of Skylarks. Slightly closer to me a Rook was busy looking for food, probably for a nest full of chicks.
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
There followed a long, round route back to Mill Hill via Southwick Hills. Not many butterflies were found at Southwick Hills but along the lanes heading back to Mill Hill Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell were plentiful, in varying states of disrepair. I couldn’t resist a male Linnet showing off his rosy chest either.
IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3778.JPG
I finally returned to Mill Hill just after 3 to find the Dingy Skippers had woken up. Rather active in the mid afternoon sun and there seemed to be quite a few as well with two separate trios dog fighting in opposite corners of the slope making an absolute minimum of 6 but in all likelihood double that would be a reasonable guesstimate. By contrast the Grizzled Skippers were few and far between, I found just two.
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
Whilst searching along the bottom slope a Large White, my first of the year, nonchalantly fluttered past and disappeared over the hedge. A smaller white thing also fluttered swiftly past. As I watched it, hoping it would land so I could Identify it, a Chiffchaff (or possibly a Willow Warbler) darted out, plucked out of the air and perched on a bit of Hawthorn. It then promptly dropped it and flew back into the hedge. The reason became obvious when I found the unharmed moth. It was a female Muslin Moth, a member of the Tiger Moth subfamily, all of which are distasteful
IMG_3815.JPG
Ps. hopefully you can see the images, the website seems to have a minor infestation of Gremlins at the moment, I'm sure Pete's on the case :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"3pm is when a silent alarm goes off in my head when chasing Orange-tips, when I know I can stop being just a spectator" - glad it's a thing then and not just me making up some nonsense :wink: Cracking set of shots (you have to click on some of the images to view them) especially the Green-veined White - as you say a real dusky lady :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some nice butterflies (and birds) there, Paul, particularly that lovely female Green Veined White.

I'm glad the weather was decent on a non-working day for you. Few things more frustrating than drab, wet conditions when you have time off.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for that comments guys :)

April 2022

Sunday 17th. A different site was in mind but the plan was essentially the same, out of London looking for Spring Skippers and Hairstreaks. Denbies was the familiar destination. With a slight nip in the air I arrived at Westhumble station and set off along the North Downs Way. Had it been a little warmer I’d probably have been distracted by numerous butterflies, Speckled Wood, Holly Blue and Orange-tip all enjoy sections of the path but as it was the only distraction was a Bluebell wood, If you can’t stop and admire this scene, you have no soul!
IMG_3941.JPG
The first butterfly seen upon arriving at Denbies was a Dingy Skipper. Having already caught up with both Skippers the day before, they were today playing second fiddle to the primary target, the Green Hairstreak which Millerd had seen several days ago here. However it would seem I was playing a game of hide and seek with them, a game they were definitely winning, both hotspots initially coming up with nothing. Eventually though I found a couple at the western end but even so, they were still playing hard to get with just a few teasing shots of them peering down at me over a leaf.
IMG_3959.JPG
A return the steps at the eastern end, a spot that normally has you spoilt for choice and forces them to perch lower down, also finally came up trumps. Just as I was about to leave for another wander across the slope a trio of feisty, argumentative males appeared. During my encounter with them 90% of my time was spent watching them spiralling around, knocking seven bells out of each other but in the short periods of rest I managed a few shots.
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
Both Skippers showed up for me over the course of the day. Like Mill Hill, Dingies outnumbered Grizzlies significantly.
IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4044.JPG
I also found a Pasqueflower, something I’ve never seen before.
IMG_4004.JPG
Further afield I explored some promising areas at the bottom of the slope on the other side of the railway track. It was now rather warm and the butterflies seen here were rather active, Peacocks, Whites, Orange-tips were amongst those which didn’t stop. As is normal for me these days at this time of year, I try and keep one eye on any large trees just in case a large orange butterfly is looking down at me. Today I did spy something orange which caused some momentary excitement on my part, I’ve never been so disappointed for a Comma to appear in my viewfinder! I forgave it when it descended and posed on a fence for me though.
IMG_4021.JPG
I had one last look around for Hairstreaks by the steps, finding a single female who was hunting for something to lay on. She was showing a lot of interest in some rockrose but I think the lack of any flower buds stopped any legs being laid. I’m glad the camera picked up the blueish flush on her, really quite striking.
IMG_4058.JPG
IMG_4104.JPG
Well that was it for Denbies but what better way to end the day than with some Orange-tips. I risked a slight detour on the way back to Box Hill. As you would expect for Easter Sunday, it was completely rammed but I managed to find a quiet corner next to the river mole with a lush patch of Garlic Mustard and waiting for me a lovely male Orange-tip, and an ab. pupillata to boot!
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG
A great finish to my weekend :D
David M

Post by David M »

That's a proper springtime smorgasbord, Paul. Glad to see things so productive round your way. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David, plenty more to come… once I’ve finished going through the hundreds of photo’s I’ve taken this week, I’ve made to most of my week off!

April 2022

On Tuesday 19th there was just a smidgen of sun early morning before things clouded over. On the Marshes, a couple of Speckled Wood and a Green-veined White were located before said clouds sent me home to do chores I'd being doing my best to ignore… :roll:
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG
IMG_4217.JPG

On Wednesday 20th the weather looked to be an improvement, unfortunately I was at work but my lunchtime wander found me a few things. Some Brimstone eggs
IMG_4250.JPG
A couple of Speckled Wood
IMG_4255.JPG
And a Comma feeding on Green Alkanet, beautiful colour contrast :) .
IMG_4282.JPG
At home I’d taken my four Orange-tip pupae out of the fridge ten days previously. Three of them had begun colouring up, all males. I’d presumed the fourth was going to be a female.
Female left, male right.
Female left, male right.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Yes, wonderful colour contrast with the Comma feeding photograph. A lovely photo, congratulations sir.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of reports Bugboy :D Is it just me or are the Green-veined Whites looking a little smokier this year? 8) Brill OT shots :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

So glad your period of time off coincided with good conditions for butterfly hunting, Paul.

Lots going on right now, but those OT pupae catch the eye and I hope they all emerge and go on to enjoy productive lives.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Otep 8)
Thanks Wurzel. Not sure if they’re smokier than normal, I’ve not come across many females but there is a lot of them around this spring!
Thanks David. Watch this space for forthcoming OT news :wink:

April 2022

Thursday 21st. Still no emerged Orange-tips before leaving for work and my lunchtime wander produced a small handful of butterflies, Speckled Woods, Whites and a solitary Peacock.
IMG_4301.JPG
I finished work mid afternoon and since it was a sunny afternoon I planned to go out on the marshes for an hour or two after checking on my Orange-tip pupae, the closest to emerge did look VERY close!
IMG_4313.JPG
Out on the marshes there were plenty of Whites flying around and rarely stopping to be identified, but I suspected most were Green-veined who seem to be having an amazing spring down here. One though did look a little different as it tussled with the others and when it did settled I bagged my first images of a Large White this year.
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4325.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
A Comma was very accommodating, and still looked in good nick for late April. A Holly Blue was slightly less accommodating and remained high up in the Dogwood.
IMG_4354.JPG
As the sun sank lower the Whites did start to slow down a bit, and my suspicions to their identity seem to be confirmed, the vast majority of the 15 or so I recorded did turn out to be Green-veined.
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG
There were also several Peacocks in varying states of disrepair soaking up the evening rays.
Peacock.png
As for me, I spent the evening staring at Orange-tip pupae in the hope of catching an emergence, I went to bed at midnight having not seen even a twitch! Just to warn you the next couple of posts will be somewhat Orange-tip heavy, so if you’ve had enough of them for the year, feel free to ignore my diary for a while!
millerd

Post by millerd »

It certainly is interesting that your GVW boom mirrors mine, Paul. There are still far more of them than Small Whites over this side of London, and they seem to still be emerging.

Bring on your Orange Tips, I say! :) Only a month from now they'll have disappeared for the year and will be sorely missed...

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good work with the Large Whites Bugboy :D I love the second Green-veined White shot - brill that is the way it's nestling in amongst the daisies :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Good to hear how well your Green Veined Whites are doing, Paul. I was pleasantly surprised by their numbers round my way prior to travelling to Spain. They are overdue a good year.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It seems something went right for GVW last summer and over the winter doesn’t Dave. Small Whites are in a very small minority compared to them this spring.
Thanks Wurzel, here’s another Large White but he’s not so much playing second fiddle as last fiddle!
Indeed David, I’ve already racked up a large selection of GVW images this year

April 2022

Friday 22nd. So after waiting all night to watch an Orange-tip emerging I wake up this morning to find it waiting for me, all pristine :roll: . No time for pictures but I was half day so as long as the weather held I hoped I’d get some shots upon his release.
He hadn’t moved when I got home, here he is waiting for me.
IMG_4402.JPG
Clouds and wind plagued the release, acres of blue sky everywhere except for the annoying cloud street obscuring the sun and the stiff breeze narrowing the choice of release places to one! Even so he seemed hungry and at least the sheltered spot had plenty of food.
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4454.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
I had to wait over half an hour before the cloud street moved on. As the sun came out, wings creaked open, shot was lined up….. and a fly attempted to land on it! :evil: Many expletives were uttered but the sunny spell was short lived, as was his maiden flight and he found some Cow Parsley.
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4496.JPG
I ended up spending an hour with him as sunny spells came and went and I eventually got the shot I was after on the Hawthorn blossom.
IMG_4523.JPG
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4551.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4571.JPG
There was also a Large White again.
IMG_4589.JPG
At home the other three were itching to emerge, the female one had now also coloured up. Once again I stayed up till midnight but still not a twitch was seen...
IMG_4594.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

April 2022

Saturday 23rd. The second Orange-tip (the female) emerged, like the first, whilst I was asleep and the final two males emerged whilst I was at work that day so I had three to release when I got home. Unfortunately the sun was largely hidden and very low in the sky so just a selection of roosting shots this time.
IMG_4598.JPG
IMG_4603.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG
Just as I was leaving I found another one
IMG_4681.JPG
Maybe I’ll see one emerge next time?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"but he’s not so much playing second fiddle as last fiddle!" fair enough as well Bugboy after that brilliant set of OT images - love the 'three-fer' :D 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Great narrative and photos Bugboy. You evidently have a lot of patience, which was apparent at many stages in your narrative.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comments :)

April 2022

Tuesday 26th. The first day of another week off and by the looks of things, good weather would peak today with a downward slope starting tomorrow, typical! I was going to use this brief window of good weather to get myself off to the Chiltons to see the local Dukes and Duchesses. A fresh, chilly morning meant there was no rush to get to Ivinghoe from Tring station. In fact there were no butterflies to be seen for the first hour or so but that did mean I could do a little bit of birding. Red Kites were up early and flying low over the hills but it was another bird that caught my attention and delayed me for some time. I’d watched a Rabbit tearing down the hillside to the fence line where some blackbirds were hopping around, but something didn’t look quite right. I couldn’t place it but the blackbirds just fit right. They kept their distance and stayed facing away from me, hiding any possible chance of confirming my growing suspicions. 15 minutes of careful stalking finally got me the view I was after, it was a small flock of Ring Ouzel, our rarest Thrush and an avian lifer for me. A great start to the day!
Red Kite
Red Kite
Ring Ouzel
Ring Ouzel
My first butterfly was a Grizzled Skipper, shortly followed by a Duke and then a couple of Duchesses. Being so early in the day these minor royalty were all a bit dopey, looking for all the world they’d been out on the town and were now suffering the consequences! A consequence of this for me was that poses were easy to come by.
IMG_4867.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
It didn’t take long for the Dukes to warm and start picking fights with any passing shadow though, a Duchess feeding on Whitebeam made for an easy target.
IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5261.JPG
From mid afternoon things began to cloud over which slowed everything down and sent most of the Dukes up to roost, a chance to get some underside shots
IMG_5497.JPG
IMG_5503.JPG
IMG_5582.JPG
It was a long day and there was an awful lot more around which I’ll leave for the next post.

Return to “Personal Diaries”