Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, ernie and David. Yes, I'll be returning to see how that Peacock pupa gets on.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Autumn Magic

The highlights of a couple of hours on Cissbury Ring (17 September), in glorious autumnal sunshine, were 73 Small Copper (including two mating pairs) and 7 Wall Brown. Plenty of Small Heath and a few third brood Common Blue were also seen, together with some now faded Adonis, including egg-laying females.
BC Small Copper pairing (1) Cissbury Ring 17.9.18.jpg
BC Small Copper pairing (2) Cissbury Ring 17.9.18.jpg
BC Small Copper, Cissbury Ring 17.9.18.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful images of the mating pair, Neil. Not something very commonly seen.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Small Copper in cop Neil :D , something I need in my 'collection' :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David and Wurzel. I probably only average one Small Copper pairing a year, so two in one day was a real treat. I reckon I can probably squeeze in a couple more outings to see them (and Wall) before it's time to remove the bails :( . But 2018 will be a season to remember :) .
BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:...2018 will be a season to remember..
Yes. Hot, dry and a bit strange.

That said, it played into the hands (or wings) of all those butterflies you and your group worked so hard to prepare habitat for during the preceding winter, Neil, so the lucky break was well deserved.

Let's hope conditions are sufficiently advantageous for this good start to be consolidated upon in 2019.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. I think the key issue is the extent to which drought affected the foodplants of some earlier species (e.g. Duke of Burgundy) before late summer rain rescued the situation; for instance, it came just in time for the second brood of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary in Sussex. I'm hoping that this was a '1976, without the 1977 crash', but we'll have to wait and see!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wall Explodes

Following the report (BC Sussex website) by Lindsay Morris of 52 Wall on his walk from Lancing Ring to Steep Down on 25 September, I was keen to have a look at this area myself; it’s several years since my last visit. Braving the large quantities of dog faeces, much of which is bagged up prior to decorating the bushes and fences, and the aggressive, out-of-control dogs, I spent most of Wednesday (26 September) on Lancing Ring. After four hours I was a little disappointed to have squeezed out ‘only’ 37 Wall, believing that this was probably where Lindsay had seen most of his. However, there were plenty of other butterflies to enjoy, including 36 Speckled Wood (many of which had only recently emerged), half-a-dozen Red Admiral, two Brown Hairstreak, a Clouded Yellow and a Painted Lady.

It was quite late in the day before I headed north towards Steep Down, and got most of the way there (TQ170075) before I started to encounter large numbers of male Wall on the chalk track. Over this section, and on the return journey via a different path, I counted a further 49, bringing the day’s tally of Wall to 86. I’ve never seen so many third brood Wall in my life, and those on the section near Steep Down were mainly recently hatched butterflies.

Being fairly sure that many of the Wall were coming off the adjacent, privately owned slopes, I contacted Christopher and Hugh Passmore, to ask permission to survey their land (please do not trespass). The Passmore family has been farming at Applesham for more than 100 years and they run a traditional, mixed farm in an ecologically sensitive manner, the key elements of which have remained unchanged for many decades.

There are four fenced compartments which run from the flat arable zone below, up onto the unimproved chalk grassland slopes. The flat areas are under crop on a rotational basis, alternating with periods under grass and clover leys, which are grazed by cattle and sheep (no nitrogen need be added). The animals are free to wander up onto the slopes. This creates an almost unique (these days) turf, as farming to this pattern has become a rarity. I had visited these slopes in 2015, finding a sizeable, unmapped colony of Small Blue, so was keen to discover their potential for Wall when I returned on Thursday 27 September.

On the path to Steep Down I encountered 36 Wall, all but one of which was male. I then spent most of the day counting Wall in the four compartments, from north to south, with the following results: Ley 4 = 33; Ley 3 = 3; Ley 2 = 14; Ley 1 = 23 (total 73 Wall). Almost all of the butterflies in Ley 4 were egg-laying females, although I did witness two successful courtships and pairings. This demonstrates, quite clearly, that these leys provide the main breeding areas, with the males using the chalk track above to set up territories.

Other species present included Common Blue (22), Small Copper (3), Small Heath (2), Speckled Wood (4), Red Admiral (7) and Clouded Yellow (3).

I spent only a relatively short time on Lancing Ring, where I counted a further 17 Wall. Having seen a total of 126 third brood Wall in a single day, I now suspect that this general area supports as many of this species as anywhere in Sussex.

I returned again on Friday 28 September, under much cooler and blustery conditions, counting 23 Wall on the path between Lancing Ring and Steep Down, and the path leading down slope to North Lancing (TQ174067). Most were again seen on the chalk path approaching Steep Down. This number included five females, which were laying eggs on the sheltered banks along a sunken section of the track. Although many of the male butterflies were now showing signs of wear and tear, the females were all still in excellent condition.
BC Applesham Farm leys - Steep Down towards Lancing Ring.jpg
BC Wall female, Steep Down 28.9.18.jpg
BC Wall male, Steep Down 28.9.18.jpg
BC Wall female, Lancing Ring 26.9.18.jpg
BC Wall male, Lancing Ring 26.9.18.jpg
BC Wall female, Applesham Farm 27.9.18.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

I've never heard of such a number of Wall Browns being sighted in a single day, Neil. Absolutely fabulous to see there's still somewhere where good numbers of this once common and widespread species can be reliably found.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning numbers of Wall Neil along with stunning photos :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

You've definitely earned 10 points for those Female Wall Browns. Superb.
They are always much harder to locate than the males.

Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Wonderful to see such abundance of this butterfly, and in its third brood as well. Fingers crossed this trivoltine strategy is now working out well for the species (in Sussex at any rate), and it will continue to increase in range and numbers. Terrific photos as well. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. The third brood of Wall in Sussex has been unprecedented in size and spread. A fitting way to conclude a brilliant butterfly season, unless your caterpillar feeds on nettle.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Finale

Today (5 October) I enjoyed what will probably be my last outing of the year specifically to look at butterflies, as the conservation work party season is now underway. However, the butterflies seem far from ready to throw the towel in, and some sheltered areas of Cissbury Ring were impressively busy for October. As a result of the National Trust's recent scrub clearance work, and grazing by both ponies and cattle, some really good areas are developing (e.g. TQ142079), away from the southernmost compartment hotspot.

The stars of today were Wall Brown (33; my best count at Cissbury for many years), Small Copper (41), Clouded Yellow (5) and a late Brown Hairstreak. The impressive total of 16 species also included Brimstone (5; the warm sunshine seems to have roused a few from their slumbers) and singles of Adonis Blue and Brown Argus.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:...The stars of today were Wall Brown (33; my best count at Cissbury for many years), Small Copper (41), Clouded Yellow (5) and a late Brown Hairstreak.
:shock: Do you often see betulae this late, Neil? 5th October is the latest date I've ever seen one in Pembrokeshire and I'd have thought that site was 'later' than the ones in Sussex.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David

The Butterflies of Sussex says, "This species is our last to emerge, flying from late July until early October, with a peak in numbers during the last week of August and first week of September. The average flight period recorded between 2010 and 2014 was 27 July to 26 September. There has been no significant change in this timing since the early 1990s." That said, males have started to emerge here in early July in the last couple of years.

So 5 October is a little later than in most seasons, but far from unusual. Without trawling through old records, I think my latest ever is 12 or 14 October.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Autumn Light

Yesterday (10 October), it was so warm and sunny that I couldn't resist a late afternoon walk around the ramparts of Cissbury Ring. I didn't leave the car park until 4pm, but still ended up seeing a large number of butterflies. The steep, crumbling banks of the south-facing coombe on the east side of the hillfort were particularly productive, with constant chases between Wall Brown, Small Copper and Clouded Yellow (including the pale form, helice).

Although most of the Wall are now showing signs of wear and tear, I was surprised to see fresh examples of both male and female. As the sun started to slip below the horizon, the basking butterflies were illuminated by that beautiful warm light which typifies autumn.
BC Wall (male) 2 Cissbury Ring 10.10.18.jpg
BC Wall (male) 1 Cissbury Ring 10.10.18.jpg
BC Small Copper (female) Cissbury Ring 10.10.18.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful golden glow Neil, nicely mellow and fruitful :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Not surprised you couldn't resist getting out on Wednesday, Neil. It was a truly beautiful autumn day...even here in Swansea!

The evening light gives an almost sepia-like look to your images. Good to know this species is still flying. I wonder what numbers you'll see them in next year?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel and David. This season just keeps on giving, at least here in Sunny Sussex.
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”