Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Paul :D I'm still working on 2017 - three more 'Tally' posts to write...and then I can think about opening 2018. I'm treating the retrospective post writing as a mental work out so I reckon this year I've 'mentally' ran several marathons :shock: :lol: :D I'm hoping the forecast snow/freezing cold weather will mean a bumper crop of butterflies in 2018 as a lot of species could really do with a 'good year' :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

End of Year Tally 2017

It was a funny old year for me and one which the weather really played havoc with. There were cold snaps when you didn’t want it just as things were getting going and baking hot days when you broiled in the sun. It felt that every time I was looking to have some time butterflying the weather was terrible; Easter in Wales – freezing and wet, May half term in Dorset – the high pressure broke and we had rain and grey for the four days we were there, August in Wales – windy and wet and not one good ‘sunny all day’ day the entire week and finally August in Devon – nowhere near as good as hoped for. Still you plug away at it and takes rough with the smooth, it would be nice though if there was slightly more smooth in 2018 to make up for all the rough in 2017?

The Skippers

1 Small Skipper, 17-06-2018 Wrecclesham

My first Small Skipper came 11 days earlier this year and was quite a surprise, at the time, finding it as I did at Wrecclesham whilst making a hopeful search for Glanvilles. However this earlier sighting is probably accounted for more by my travelling so far East. I’ve noticed over the years that butterflies emerge between a week and a fortnight earlier on the eastern side of the country and so this earlier sighting isn’t actually that surprising and factoring this in their emergence was therefore about the same time. I was slightly worried last year as they seemed to be down in numbers but they appear to have bounced back with good numbers at all of my usual sites and Larkhill in particular was almost crawling with them and their Essex cousins; so a good year for Small Skipper.
SS 1.JPG
SS 2.JPG
SS 3.JPG
2 Essex Skipper, 21-06-2017 Larkhill

After a later start in 2016 this year it seems like the alarm clocks were turned back to ‘early’ as my first Essex, from Larkhill as in 2016, came a fortnight earlier. I was even more worried about this Skipper last year than its ‘Small’ cousin so it was great to see clouds of them enjoying the long grasses at Larkhill. There were so many it felt like a new county, Smessex, had been formed! As well as doing well on home territory I also discovered them further afield in Dorset during a notable trip which accounted for all four golden skippers in one afternoon.
ES 1.JPG
ES 2.JPG
3 Lulworth Skipper, 08-07-2017 Corfe Castle

Judging whether early or late for this species is really difficult due to their protracted emergence and also because I have to travel to see it, I can’t just encounter it on my way to work like I can Smessex. So even though recorded a month later this was because that was the first time I could get back to Dorset. I’d visited at the end of May but the weather then was terrible so butterflying was minimal and most species spent a week hunkered down and so I had to wait until July before taking the road trip to see them. It was worth the wait as I was handed my easiest year tick; literally spotting it as I got out of the car, four or five steps across the car park and then ‘click, click’. There were probably about 10 or so on the very steep banks of the Corfe Castle car park and most were quite old so they must have been out a good while here. Later that same day at Durlston they were all over the place, in the little picnic area, along the coastal path and in amongst the tor grasses and short cropped turf. It was great to see so many and some still in excellent condition. Because of this I reckon they had a better year this year than last but might not be out of the woods yet…
LuS 1.JPG
LuS 2.JPG
4 Silver Spotted Skipper, 24-07-2017 Broughton Down

I found this species 5 days earlier this year than last at the ever reliable Broughton Down. However this earlier visit meant that they weren’t as numerous as last year which I hope was down to them not reaching their peak rather than a decline in numbers? The highlight for me with this species came after my annual visit to Broughton Down. I was checking out Shipton for the second time hoping to find some more Brostreaks and I was checking out the area near the hotspot hedge. In amongst a few blues there was something flying faster and more erratically, veering off at acute angles and disappearing momentarily from view. Eventually I managed to track it down thinking it might some type of moth but it was actually a Silver-spot, a species I not encountered or expected to encounter here before. So something to check up on next year – was this a one off last wanderer or is there a colony here or near-about?
SSS 1.JPG
SSS 2.JPG
5 Large Skipper, 31-05-2017 Middle Street

Only two days later this year than last and from a different site. So a similar start for this species in 2017 and unfortunately the similarity continued when considering the actual numbers. There were many fewer than I can recall from various sites over the last few years apart from last year when I noticed a decline. This ear there were probably a few fewer still actually though I don’t know how they fared nationally? It comes to something when I only saw two females all year – one at Durlston and one in Oxford. Where were they? Did the stop-start and fitful spring mess up their emergence? Fingers crossed that 2018 us a bounce back year like 2017 was for the Smessex.
LS 1.JPG
LS 2.JPG
6 Dingy Skipper, 22-04-2017 Duke Site

A whole eight days earlier this year and also seen on the same day as my first Grizzlie at my Duke site. Both sightings might actually have been a first for the county. Number wise despite not seeing them at either Bentley Wood or Larkhill they seemed to have fared a little better this year as the places where I did find them they certainly put in a better showing. I also managed to get to Martin Down properly this year and they were showing really well along the Dyke. There were a few highlights with this species; my first mating pair, one stealing my coffee at The Hill but the one that topped the lot was finding a second brood Dingy at Shipton in August whilst searching for Brostreaks. All the other enthusiasts present strangely didn’t seem that interested, they didn’t even break from their fourth rotation of photographing the same female Brostreak to see this, in my mind, star attraction…
DS 1.JPG
DS 2.JPG
DS 3.JPG
7 Grizzled Skipper, 22-04-2017 Duke Site

As mentioned above I saw my first Grizzlie on the same day as m first Dingy just like last year however the Grizlie came first…by 23 minutes! I found it interesting that they seemed to prefer slightly different habitat at this site – with the Grizzlie on the shorter turf that bedecked the slopes of the Iron Age fort whilst the Dingy preferred the rockier slopes where the vegetation is patchier and alternates between really short springy turf and tussocks of Cooch grass. Over the season the Grizzlie seemed to hold its own compared to last year so hopefully that will continue into 2018 though it would be nice to see it across a greater range of sites next year.
GS 1.JPG
GS 2.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of all the Skipper's Wurzel, I really envy your Grizzled Skipper though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've not seen it yet or the Lulworth Skipper, I really would like, this year, to find both and the Glanville Frit, also the Large Blue, it would be great if I could find the right time of year to combine all four not having seen any of them. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Getting all four could be tricky...three could be doable the Grizzlie would be the biggest stumbling block though you might be able to get one and an early Lulworth (best bet for early Lulworths is Lulworth Cove itself, Durlston is later). You could try the Isle of Wight for a late Glanville, then drive onto Lulworth Cove for Lulworths before finishing up at either Collard Hill or Daneways for Large Blue...diffucult but doable! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

March 2018

Wouldn't have thought I'd be posting this whilst wrapped up in a duvet with snow and polar winds blowing outside :shock: Oh well it'll come right :D
3 Mar.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I also have to say that those two Grizzled Skipper images are superb.
They can be tricky little devils, never been able to keep track of one in the air.
The Tilshead site is excellent for them ( and Dingy's ).

Your turn to shiver tonight ! :(
Take care,
Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Skipper images, Wurzel, just right to warm the cockles. I do particularly like that last Grizzly as well.

Keep warm!

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At last Wurzel, the calendar I've been waiting for :D pity the weather doesn't agree.Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

An interesting read Wurzel, and some great shots. :D I like the Small Skips particularly. :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great round up of the skippers and some interesting comments, looking forward to the next installment :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I was pretty chuffed with those Grizzlies :D They can be a nightmare to follow as all of a sudden they'll pull a veering 180 :shock: The Snow was quite a few extra days off :D
Cheers Dave :D That was one of my Faves as well, glad the photos came in useful during this cold snap, I hope your cockles are toasty :D
Cheers Goldie :D Fingers crossed the weather will rapidly catch-up :wink:
Cheers Andrew :D It was a good year for them so picking the shots was tricky :D
Cheers Neil :D Next installment (Whites) is written and will be posted soon... :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Whites
OT 1.JPG
8 Brimstone, 09-03-2017 Pewsey Vale

I saw my first Brimstone 2 days earlier this year. The first one of the season is always a joy to behold because it is generally in the first ‘real’ sun of the year when the butterflies glow vividly, burning into your retina at the gloom and grey of winters end. I often struggle when considering this species as they are so ubiquitous and widespread turning up in almost all of the sites and habitats that I visit. In fact they often ‘save the day’ as it were, turning up in places where I wouldn’t have expected butterflies to be or when I’ve not seen anything much. Always they add a bit of colour so often making up for the lack of other butterflies, a case of quality rather than quantity. The same struggle occurred for me this year and so going with my gut feeling I reckon no more, no less…One thing I was able to notice was that I saw plenty of them with little streaks/dashes regularly placed on the hind wing underside – a named aberration? Whether this was because of genetic drift or just because I was subconsciously looking out for this aberration/patterning I’m not sure?
B 1.JPG
B 2.JPG
9 Large White, 02-04-2017 Kingston Lacey

The problem with ding this tally is that I often forget what happened the year before so spotting trends means trawling back through old posts either on UKB or on a hard drive. And so it was for this species. From my retrospective research I found that 2016 had been a good year which meant that they’d fared slightly worse this year. There were fewer for definite in the first brood but over subsequent broods they picked up and on occasion they could be considered ‘numerous’, for example the flower bed at Kingston Lacey in August held more Large Whites than Brimstones with four feeding from one large flower at once. I was still seeing them right through to the end of October so perhaps others concerns about their numbers were an artefact of their spread emergence? Oh and they were 18 days earlier so was this a factor in their success?
LW 1.JPG
LW 2.JPG
10 Small White, 25-03-2017 Middle Street

“Where were they?” This is the one thing I can recall really clearly about the Small White in 2017. I did see my first 3 weeks earlier than last year over at Middle Street but across Spring I saw only a few (maybe 4?) others and it didn’t get much better with the later broods. I’d be driving home and they just weren’t flopping all over the place like they have in previous years. The hedgerows seemed strangely quiet and bereft of activity due to their absence. I’m hoping that this was just a blip, a bust year which will then be followed by a boom and recovery like it’s larger cousin – fingers crossed.
SW 1.JPG
SW 2.JPG
SW 3.JPG
11 Green-veined White, 06-04-2017 Enford

A massive 23 days earlier this year! What climatic factors caused this I wonder and also did it account for why the first brood also seemed down numbers wise? Was the gradual, protracted emergence the cause for me seeing the odd one or two at a time early in the season? Things did pick up later in the year, perhaps because their emergences were more aligned but I never thought ‘wow what a lot of Green-veined Whites!’
One thing I did notice was that the females in the first part of the season were particularly heavily marked; much more than I’ve encountered before. In fact they could almost have been ‘Green-veined Greys’.
GVW 1.JPG
GVW 2.JPG
12 Orange-tip, 01-04-2017 Five Rivers

Over two weeks earlier this year than in 2016 with my first coming from Five Rivers and it was unexpectedly a female. Also they lasted really well; my last photographed OT came from a trip to my Marshie site on 21st May and a fly-by on 2nd June was my final sighting giving them a flight period of at least 8 weeks and that’s not even taking into consideration the fact that I was still a few weeks behind sites further East with my first sighting.

I reckon that 2017 was even better for Orange-tips than 2016 as I encountered them at almost every site I visited and this seemed to be echoed nationally. There were some really memorable moments from this season; that first unexpected female and then the bright, vivid orange of my first males wing tips being such a delight to see after the drabness of winter, watching the interplay between several males at Vera Jones Mill and the failed courtship that I witnessed in Wales. Mind you they’re still on the hit list for an ‘in cop’ shot, maybe next year…Part of the reason I think was that despite conditions generally being dry and bright through April the temperatures seemed to be below average and so the Orange-tips would fly but they weren’t quite as solar charged as usual and an close approach was possible more times than in ‘normal’ years.
OT 2.JPG
OT 3.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

At a first glance, I thought 'Wow, things are starting early around you'. Still, it's a good reminder of what we should be seeing quite soon. I also visited your 'World of Wurzel' site - splendid photos on there, too :)

I trust that recent events in Salisbury have not affected you too much. Let's hope a fuller picture emerges soon and that those directly affected manage to pull through.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Wurzel, unlike you we had loads of Small and Large Whites last year, they started in March and seemed to carry on through the year, I saw quite a lot in the Dunes at Southport which I thought unusual at the time because of the the cold breezes that often arrive there, ( Southport is noted for being windy) What we didn't see a lot of in Spring was Small Tort's, they made up for that in September though :D
It's just like Spring today , the Snow's gone, it's much milder, all systems go now :lol: I second Mike in hoping every thing 's alright in your part of the world, take care. Goldie :shock:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's always interesting to compare your yearly assessments with my own memories and photographic 'notes'. My 2017 for Large and Small Whites is pretty much visa versa to what you saw with Large Whites practically non existent all season whereas Small Whites were relatively numerous (although by no means as plentiful as other seasons.)

My first OT was also a female, seen on the 3rd of April (my last sighting was a male on the 3rd of June, although that was in the west of Ireland where I imagine the flight period would naturally be a little later than south east England)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D The website is a bit of a work in progress and there's still some things to do but it's "happy work" :D
Cheers Goldie :D Perhaps the Small Whites ave moved East and North Goldie? If they have I hope they're replaced by Southern Small Whites and Bath Whites :wink: :lol:
With regards to recent developments Mike and Goldie it's been mildly annoying and interesting round here recently. I don't know which is worse - nerve agent being used on foreign nationals seeking asylum or my access to the library and Tescos for Trooper (Iron Maiden) Ale being restricted :shock: :wink: Hopefully those affected will recover. :?

Cheers Bugboy :D Perhaps it's a West/East thing - there do seem to be some regional differences for example Dave Miller always seems to be between a week and a half or two weeks ahead of my sightings once things get going proper :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

At least ' the hill ' is a safe distance from Salisbury !.
Also the ale situation does sound serious.

Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, has regards to the Grizzled Skipper we posted about, i'll be down in Kent over Easter and may be we'll be down for a couple of weeks leading into April, may be this is too soon for the Grizzled Skipper, what do think :?: Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely Whites Wurzel. :D You do get some great shots of butterflies on flowers. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Tell me about it I haven’t been able to get a bottle of Trooper all week :shock: Fingers crossed it’ll get sorted soon or I might have to drink another type of beer :shock: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D My earliest record for Grizzlies is 17th April but they do seem to emerge slightly earlier in the East of the country so you might be lucky. Check the local branch website before you go plus you might be able to contact one of the county team who could give you a heads up :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”