Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie - " I bet your wife wishes she'd got some stuff in before all this happened :lol:" let's just say that she might have but it might have gotten lost in the loft :wink: :lol: Keep the garden pics coming :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Too cold today Wurzel, we'd an East wind that was bitter today, about 3pm the wind died down but it didn't bring the Butterflies out :roll: It's supposed to get warmer so hope fully!!!!! :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This morning it was very cold, the Bird bath's had a layer of Ice on them but the good thing was the Sun was strong and there was no breeze, the sky was blue and cloudless, I thought maybe, just maybe, it would tempt a few Butterflies later, so I kept checking the Garden has I went on dusting, through the bedroom window which looks out on the front Garden I saw a white flutter so I grabbed the Camera ( which was ready to go ) and went outside, to my astonishment I saw it was a Female Orange Tip :D

If I said I followed it from the Front Garden to the Back Garden you won't be surprised !!! :D I was so surprised, I couldn't get enough shots of it :lol: Needless to say I took too many. :D ( if that's possible) :D

I saw the Butterfly at a round 11am, it was still cold and would rest a while on a green leaf soak up the Sun then continue round the garden, I've got a plant pot of white flowers on the back, they're a rockery plant and on the Front Garden they're in the Rockery, I keep them in a pot on the back because they can become intrusive, any way I dragged this pot into the Sun and the OT immediately flew onto them, trouble is I've forgotten what the Plants called :roll:

Later, about 3pm I saw a Speckled Wood fly over the fence, it didn't open it's wings so the shots are the best I could get, it was disturbed by a huge Bee and flew off, I only managed a couple of shots but because it was also one I didn't usually see until much later in the Year in the Garden I'm hoping it will pop back tomorrow. :D I also got the tail end of a Large White that was also in a hurry :D Goldie :D
Attachments
6AD4F96D-378B-403E-9360-C3015664F9DB.jpeg
94427E0D-572D-49CF-B6DE-E21A0010DEB1.jpeg
E69D1857-B474-42EE-AF82-6C541E60633D.jpeg
37BC2086-F730-4EF1-86D5-445A35F8C9C6.jpeg
8C44F136-D8B1-4639-9BCE-737112B83087.jpeg
3357786A-FD82-40A1-B57F-FF4D30770433.jpeg
F86B61C6-9453-4698-86D0-200EC18EE9EB.jpeg
0ACCB8A4-DC57-4B9F-B109-B151DCB7C4CB.jpeg
6926AA26-92EB-4127-B531-31D2F7C8EEAD.jpeg
4BCA8B0F-6241-4DF2-8EC8-8F01FCE62C99.jpeg
B17C066F-A2D1-4CC6-B445-3051B057BF09.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'd another good day in the garden, when a Male Orange Tip flew in and landed on my Bowls Mauve, he did have a struggle at one point when feeding, he appeared to have to struggle getting free from the flower :D

Also landing on my BM, ( it was certainly a day for that plant ) was a Peacock, a Small White and what I think was a Green Veined White, it was very small once again and the dark shading on the wing was absent, I hope I'm right :roll:

I hope the weather stays good for tomorrow, I'd love a Holly Blue to arrive :D Goldie :D
Attachments
DCA93CEA-49EC-4C2F-9FFA-3FAE9961D6D4.jpeg
D3295D59-8130-4F11-870F-6EA19C90C53E.jpeg
5E393B05-3F39-4DC3-A06A-186EFE5EA232.jpeg
ECF888EE-F378-4A52-B8D8-B92BD1364F3F.jpeg
F6A2DF60-EF57-4BEE-A98D-3FA90E31E4F6.jpeg
4B658E61-77A5-4068-A723-58F9E7DC2081.jpeg
Green Veined White
Green Veined White
Small White
Small White
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great sets of OT shots Goldie - I reckon the females are the best white butterfly that the UK has to offer :D Love the Large White shot too - that's a much better view than you normally get - they're normally whizzing by 12 foot up :shock: :lol: I'm sorry to have to do this again but your Green-veined White looks like a Small White to me :wink:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's okay Wurzel, I never used to get mixed up with the Whites but just lately some of them have been really Small and this one seemed to have Veins :lol: we'll have to call it an age thing :lol: I think I'll just give them the slip from now on :lol:

The Female OT was a lot more photogenic than the Male, he was intent on keeping his wings closed a lot of the time, she on the other hand went first to the front Garden then to the Back, she looked very fresh has well and very in-tent on the White flowers although she did venture onto the BM at one point. It was really great to see both of them and a real surprise :D I wonder what Tomorrow will bring :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I still reckon you're due an errant Grizzlie Goldie :wink: 8)

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That bowles mauve is an absolute magnet, Goldie. It seems to attract all species (except Holly Blue, of course). :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I wish Wurzel!! :lol: If some one could entice them further North :D Another 3 weeks they say, hope the Sun keeps shining :D

Hi! David, you never know, maybe the Holly Blue will fancy it :D I'll keep a look out any way :D

Another lovely day outside hope fully more Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

You're getting a nice selection of butterflies in your garden up there Goldie :D, still not seen a Large White myself and only saw my first female Orange-tip yesterday.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That female Orange Tip is such a beautifully delicate creature, and when they are engrossed in nectaring like that they are much easier to approach than the males. Still, the Bowles Mauve worked its magic and you got both! Excellent shots. :) That male has a very faint dark spot on the forewing - much fainter than usual - I was wondering why it looked a bit different! In fact the black border is also very subdued too.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:24 am..Hi! David, you never know, maybe the Holly Blue will fancy it :D I'll keep a look out any way :D
I think the only thing I've ever seen the spring brood nectaring on is blackthorn blossom, Goldie. I'll be mightily impressed if you get an image of one on your bowles mauve. Good luck!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I was amazed to see both Orange Tip's especially when both went on the Bowles Mauve and in the Garden, I just saw another Male today but he went straight through :roll: When they said Lock-Down I thought that would be it but so far I've been lucky and it's certainly kept me on my feet. :D

Hi! Dave, I just put the markings on the OT down to being out in the weather, because here we've had two real heavy down pours but mostly at night which as been great for the Gardens and the fact we've enjoyed the Sunny days. :D Your right about the Female Orange Tip she was easy to get shots of once she settled and she looked so fresh.

I hope your wrong David, :D I was going off the fact I've seen them on Lavender and Marjoram, mind you it was later in the year,
I associated the OT with Blue Bells and Garlic flowers, I got a surprise when they both went onto the Bowles Mauve :D I'd be glad to see a Holly Blue in the Garden no matter what they landed on :lol:

Today was a slow day, most of the Butterflies were flying through the Garden, I did get shots of two Peacocks , one was in a tatty condition but I saw five pass through all in different conditions, also passing through were Small Whites and Large Whites, I'd just got a brew when I spotted a Speckled wood landing on my Budlia which is still growing after the cutting I did last year, this time I got a bit more of the wings than last time :D Thanks everyone for your post, stay safe, Goldie :D
Attachments
E8C1386B-A692-4F6F-9E93-2AA033070C3F.jpeg
3DBB8DF4-877F-403E-BD87-351CA0C8BD6E.jpeg
67685775-0CA6-425C-BC18-FD173D443A74.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

I agree with the appreciation for your female Orange Tip shots, Goldie.
I grow annual Wall flowers in the front garden but maybe I ought to try
Bowles Mauve. I've noticed that OT's seem to be attracted to pink or mauve flowers.
Out in the countryside, Herb Robert is a favourite.

Keep well,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A great selection of species there Goldie, I'm so jealous of your garden, I reckon you get more butterflies there than I get on my local patch which is a SSSI nature reserve! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see the Specklies in the garden Goldie :D I see that you've developed a similar method to butterfly enticement to me - put on a brew/pour a coffee and then the butterflies turn up! :roll: :D :lol:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, I love the Bowles Mauve plant, it can get a bit stroppy after a while, it needs replacing after a couple of years but you can take cuttings and replace them . I've just done this with one plant, I like to keep two on the back Garden and one on the front.
The front Garden is in the shade most afternoons after 2pm but the Back is a Sun trap all day, that's one reason the Butterflies enjoy it I think. :D

I've certainly done well Bugboy so far this year with the butterflies, also the Garden get's the Sun all day I think that's a good reason for so many Butterflies.The Garden has done me good too, I'm walking circles round it for exercise :lol:

That's right Wurzel, I think the Butterflies smell the Coffee :lol: It's a much colder wind today so I'm not expecting any thing really in the Garden the Sun is shining but the temperature is down quite a lot, no sitting out today I think. :roll: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I did sit outside for a short spell today but not until about 3pm when the wind ebbed a little, nothing showed except this White who seemed to rest for a short spell before taking off again which gave me a chance for a quick shot :D Goldie :D
Attachments
0F558C75-80B6-47AD-8EFC-A1AA6FC98E7C_1_201_a.jpeg
A9A45BB8-F0A9-468D-8AAF-39B5C71C101F_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Your garden keeps on giving Goldie :D :mrgreen: That's a lovely looking white and those markings are slightly unusual with the second spot being split into two :D 8) I didn't get out today too busy catching up with work :shock: Mind you the weather wasn't that great so it was no real sacrifice :wink:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I did wonder about the spots Wurzel, but lately I've been at odds with the White's has you Know :lol:
Looks like rain here tomorrow so I may get some work done for a change, I just hope it warms up again and the wind drops a bit.
Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”