Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fat Cats And Small Pearls

Yesterday (25 May) I paid a brief visit to the Knepp Wildland, to photograph one of the Purple Emperor caterpillars being studied by Matthew Oates. As the skies cleared, I headed to the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves, to see how the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (SPBF) is doing, following its reintroduction last year as part of the BC Fritillaries for the Future project. I spent several hours with Peter Farrant, trying to determine their number as accurately as possible, given that they are highly mobile and move from ride to ride. We determined the certain presence of six males and a (egg-laying) female in Rowland Wood, although it is likely that eight SPBF were flying.

We drew a blank on Park Corner Heath, but I believe that Bob Eade saw three there, one of which apparently fell foul of a Crab Spider (photographed by Arthur Greenslade). These numbers are encouraging so early in the flight season, but please report any SPBF sightings to the BC Sussex website; it is vital that we monitor their progress closely, both here and at Abbot's Wood.
BC PE cat (1) Knepp Wildland 25.5.18.jpg
BC PE cat (2) Knepp Wildland 25.5.18.jpg
BC PE cat (3) Knepp Wildland 25.5.18.jpg
BC SPBF male, Rowland Wood 25.5.18.jpg
BC SPBF female, Rowland Wood 25.5.18.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent work there, Neil. I was at Chantry Hill last Sunday. Never been there at this time of year . Needless to say, I was very impressed!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I've only just got round to reading Saturday's edition of The Times.

For those who haven't seen the article by Matthew Oates, he gives appropriate credit for Nei'ls work in helping - perhaps even saving - both the Pearl-bordered Fritillary and the Duke of Burgundy in Sussex.

Thanks Neil for what you have done and are continuing to do.

PS. How much did you have to bribe Matthew to write that article? :evil:

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Jack. I was unaware of this article, but it sounds typically generous of Matthew; I'll try to source a copy.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Beginning Of The End

Yesterday (27 May) I monitored Duke of Burgundy numbers across multiple sites in the Storrington landscape. Although a composite total count of 91 is not to be sniffed at, it was quite clear that the Duke season is now in its last stages; they're burning out fast in the prolonged heat and only one male and two females were in anything like fresh condition. My visit also produced my first Golden-ringed Dragonfly of the year.
BC Duke of Burgundy, Storrington 27.5.18.jpg
BC Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Storrington 27.5.18.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I'd a very disappointing visit to Gait Barrow at the Week-end , perfect day, no Dukes seen!! I've only seen two or three reported so far, this was my second visit to GB has well so I can only think they must be declining up there. :(
It's great to hear yours are doing so well :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

I feel it is merely the end of the beginning for those Dukes on your managed patch, Neil. It's great how flight conditions were so favourable this year and perhaps this will see them emerge in even greater numbers in 2019? Let's hope so.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie. I've heard on the grapevine that Dukes are having a hard time up there; it's always sad to hear that my joint-favourite species is in decline.
Hi David. This long spell of spring weather should do all manner of good for Dukes, Pearls and others.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

They're Back!

This morning (28 May) I visited the BC Park Corner Heath (PCH) & Rowland Wood reserves. The first thing I noticed was the new signage at the entrance; many thanks to Ian Hampshire and Bob Foreman for doing such a great job. Thanks also to Michael and Clare Blencowe for finishing the painting of the PCH hut, and to Jonathan Crawford for mounting the banner and display units. The reserves are now looking very smart.

All of the habitat work done over the last couple of years is really paying off and butterfly numbers are clearly on the increase. Unsurprisingly, it was the reintroduced Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (SPBF) which was the focus of my attention, and I was delighted by what I saw. A thorough survey of almost every ride and open space produced a total of 21 SPBF (16 male, 4 female, 1 indeterminate). Two of the females were freshly emerged, and two were already laying eggs. The species was well distributed across both reserves, with 6 males seen on PCH. There is now every reason to believe that this reintroduction has gone well.
BC SPBF female, Rowland Wood 28.5.18.jpg

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Wonderful! Thanks to you and the rest of the Fritillaries for the Future team for everything that you have done, and continue to do.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks, Jack. I was unaware of this article, but it sounds typically generous of Matthew; I'll try to source a copy.
BWs, Neil
It was re-cycle bin day on Monday and unfortunately I had already thrown away The Times otherwise I could have sent you a copy.

Jack

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, three Dukes were reported being seen on Sunday at GB, I was wondering if they'd introduce more up there , it's so sad to see these lovely Dukes disappearing, :( the strange fact is the sudden appearance of the Brown Hair Streak up there, it does make you scratch your head a bit. :? Goldie :)

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:There is now every reason to believe that this reintroduction has gone well.
Absolutely fabulous news, Neil. Let's hope you're right.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Andy. We're all delighted with the way things are going. PBF and SPBF are a lot better off in Sussex than they were just a few years ago. Thanks, again, to the Heritage Lottery Fund, Ernest Kleinwort Charitable Trust and all other supporters of Fritillaries for the Future.

Thanks, Jack. Never mind; I'll ask Matthew when I next see him.

Hi Goldie. I suspect Brown Hairstreak arrived by car.

Hi David. It will be a couple of years before we get a clearer picture, but I'm feeling very optimistic.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Valley Of Adonis

This evening (30 May) I visited Anchor Bottom with my father and brother, Mark, who is visiting from Antwerp. I promised them large numbers of Adonis Blue, based on Jonathan Crawford's recent reports to the BC Sussex website, but we saw more than that.

Over a relatively small part of the site I had counted 75 pairings before my family left, and Katrina Watson arrived. Moving further up the valley this total soon rose to 100. I took a different route back to the car, much higher up the slope, and finally stopped counting at 150 mating pairs. As the butterflies finally settled down to roost there were five or six in a metre square in some areas. At one point the light wind dropped off completely and I was surrounded by hundreds of beautiful sapphire-blue and chocolate-brown Adonis, hanging from the grasses.

Katrina arrived from the top of the valley and confirmed the extent of their distribution. Estimating numbers under these circumstances is difficult, but some simple mathematics suggested that a conservative total of 5000 must have been present; I have never seen so many Adonis Blues in my life. If visiting in the evening or under overcast and cool conditions, please tread with extreme care, as it is very difficult to avoid stepping on them, particularly the mating pairs. This has already been a spring to remember and this evening was unforgettable.
BC Adonis Blue (1) Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg
BC Adonis Blue (2) Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg
BC Adonis Blue (3) Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg
BC Adonis Blue (4) Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg
BC Adonis Blue (5) Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg
BC Anchor Bottom 30.5.18.jpg

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil - Wow. I am lucky if I get to see a dozen or so Adonis in a year and I have only ever seen one mating pair. It sounds a fantastic location for them. Could it be a record site?

Ernie F
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

And to think that not so many years ago, Adonis Blues seemed to be in danger (genetic bottleneck).

One evening around 25 years ago, I saw significant numbers on lower slopes of Castle Hill but I doubt that my total was in anywhere your estimate.

The current showery spell bodes well for second generation of Adonis Blue (and other species) as there must now be much reduced chance of vegetation desiccating.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi ernie. This is certainly one of the largest colonies in Sussex, along with Malling Down. A transect count of 3500 was made here for the second brood (usually more numerous) in 2008, which would reflect a population of >10,000. I suspect there may be similar or greater numbers this August, if we get the right weather conditions.

Hi Jack. The Adonis Blue is certainly in much better shape than when I were a lad. The recovery of the rabbit, climate change and increased conservation grazing have all helped. I think you are right to point out the condition/prospects for Horseshoe Vetch (HSV), which is exceptionally lush and vigorous this spring. The availability of HSV is probably one of the key limiting factors on Chalkhill Blue population size (see The Butterflies of Sussex :D ), so we could be in for a perfect storm of blues later this summer.

BWs, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The recovery of the rabbit...
However: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2018 ... -declines/

Jack

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What fantastic photo's Neil, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and great to know the Adonis is doing so well :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”