Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

David M wrote:That must have been a real thrill for you, Janet. I note that there has been a 'mark and capture' scheme in operation, but all the better that one of these individuals was seen ovipositing.

This is a rare and localised insect and one hopes that it will attract some conservation attention in the near future as it is highly vulnerable.
Yes David - Rhona Goddard is the Wood White Officer & West Mids Regional Officer for Butterfly Conservation and they have been doing a mark and capture. They have joined forces with the Forestry Commission and a lot of habitat work has gone on, and WW butterflies from Bury Ditches which is close by have been introduced to the site.

Goldie M, Andrew555 and Trevor - Thank you :D it was indeed a thrill as I have never before seen Wood Whites! :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Janet Turnbull

2nd June: Ringing Roger (Edale, Peak District)

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Ramble day, so less time for butterfly watching when you're leading a group of walkers! However I did spot this Common Heath, camouflaged as it was against the rocks as we made our way up the hill to the rocky summit
20180602_Common Heath at Ringing Roger.jpg
There were a lot of bilberries but I searched in vain for Green Hairstreaks.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking sequence of Wood Whites Janet :D They are one of the more confiding butterfly species when you can get to one of the locations :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Janet Turnbull

4th June: Staying local again

Post by Janet Turnbull »

As it was rather overcast I decided to try Banky Meadows for moths; I found a Burnet Companion the other day and I hoped to find a Mother Shipton. As soon as I arrived there were five Specklies in a mad circular chase at the start of the track. Once in the meadow I counted 15 Large Skippers and another Specklie as I made my way round. The LS were mostly on the southern side of the meadow where there were legumes growing.
IMG_7644 fem Large Skipper=crop.jpg
Moving on to Stretford Meadows alongside the Carrington Spur I saw a lone Specklie, some alder beetle eggs/larvae/pregnant beetles and in the meadows a further 4 LS, one of which nectared on a wild orchid.
IMG_7666 m skipper-orchid=crop.jpg
IMG_7685 Preg alder beetle=crop.jpg
IMG_7682 Alder beetle eggs=crop.jpg
20180604-Alder beetle cats=crop.jpg
A Lacewing moth appeared to be ovipositing but I couldn't find the egg - too scared of the nettles!
IMG_7655 Lacewing=crop.jpg
and a small moth which I could not identify but CallumMac has found it for me: a Grapholita lunulana.
IMG_7660 Small Moth.jpg
Following this I drove to the metrolink station at Sale Water Park and took the tram to St Werbergh's where once again I didn't even have to leave the platform. I counted at least 12 Common Blues including a gorgeous female, several Large Skippers, a Large White who didn't stop for a portrait and a GVW. Also spotted was a Comma caterpillar which froze as I approached and stayed like that apparently forever!
20180604_fem Common Blue=crop.jpg
20180604_Comma Caterpillar=s.jpg
IMG_7669 Comma cat=crop.jpg
IMG_7704 Six spot Burnets=crop.jpg
A single Harlequin Ladybird larva - but I'm sure there will be more:
IMG_7672 Harlequin larva=crop.jpg
And finally, back at home, a mint moth
IMG_7730 Mint moth=crop.jpg
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Hi Janet, I think your moth might be Grapholita lunulana - quite a nice record as it's local up north and completely absent in the south! https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/grapholita-lunulana/

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a very attractive female Common Blue, Janet - there seem to be a lot of blue females this spring, and the variety in markings is endless.

Dave

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

CallumMac wrote:Hi Janet, I think your moth might be Grapholita lunulana - quite a nice record as it's local up north and completely absent in the south! https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/grapholita-lunulana/
Thank you, Callum - that's definitely the one!

Janet Turnbull

5th June: Whitbarrow and Farrer's Allotment

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Chris Winnick planned this walk to find Pearls, Small Pearls and Dukes but in the event the extraordinary spell of warm weather had brought everything on so quickly that the Pearls and Dukes had all but finished. However we were able to see the habitat management which has been going on over the past winters and also the cowslip plantings done in February/March this year to encourage the Dukes. We were lucky to see a solitary Duke wondering where all its friends had gone - it looked lonely and was much smaller than I had imagined it to be.
IMG_7812 Duke=crop.jpg
The first fritillary I managed to snap looked like a Pearl - I so wanted it to be - but on close examination of the photo later I was disappointed to find that it was a Small Pearl. However, later on a real Pearl was netted and when it was finally released it flew a short distance and then sat stunned on the ground long enough to be photographed before recovering its senses and flying away.
IMG_7800 Pearl=crop.jpg
There were plenty of Small Pearls - one count was of fifteen and another estimate was of 16 or 17... but they were very elusive. This was my best shot
IMG_7760 SPBF topside=crop.jpg
Out on the open ground were several Small Heaths, a few Northern Brown Argus
IMG_7768 Small heath=crop.jpg
IMG_7757 NBArgus=crop.jpg
and some Dingy Skippers, some more dingy than others and quite tattered, but this one was in better repair than most
IMG_7764 Dingy Skipper=crop.jpg
There was a multitude of moths and I captured a Clouded Buff and a Silver Y, along with two dragonflies: a broad bodied chaser and a four-spotted chaser
IMG_7769 Clouded Buff=crop.jpg
IMG_7816 Silver Y open=crop.jpg
IMG_7752 Broad bodied chaser=crop.jpg
IMG_7813 Four spotted chaser=crop.jpg
and a Mottled Umber Erannis defoliaria caterpillar which CallumMac identified for me.
IMG_7748 Caterpillar=crop.jpg
It was a brilliant day and I was thrilled to have seen three more of the ten I missed last year!
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Janet - I've just been going back through some of your recent posts. I love the range of pics of things you have seen. I can't work out which I like the most but that Skipper on an Orchid takes some beating.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see a female Large Skipper so early in the season Janet, and yes, your female Common Blue is a nailed-on stunner!

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

What a range of species from Whitbarrow! Really like your shot of the Northern Brown Argus, in particular. I'm pretty sure your caterpillar is Mottled Umber Erannis defoliaria :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That was a lovely female Blue Janet :D Also loving the Large Skipper on the Orchid :D Great report from Whitbarrow, mind you I'd have traded in all the other butterflies for a NBA :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Thank you Ernie - I was willing it to choose that orchid!
We seem to have had a lot of Skippers David, but I didn't realise til now that the males were the first to arrive.

They're just out, Wurzel - but apparently don't come much further south than Warton Crag!

Thank you for the ID, Callum - 'defoliaria' sounds like a hazard to plants!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, some great shots lately, I see you got a Northern Brown :D I don't know if your interested or not but a Mountain Ringlet has been seen at Grey Knotts Fell in Honister, It's one I've not got yet so I may try for that if Possible. Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Goldie M wrote:Hi! Janet, some great shots lately, I see you got a Northern Brown :D I don't know if your interested or not but a Mountain Ringlet has been seen at Grey Knotts Fell in Honister, It's one I've not got yet so I may try for that if Possible. Goldie :D
Thanks, Goldie - I'll have to see if I can fit in a visit to the Honister Youth Hostel! There are not enough days to do everything when the butterflies are calling! :D

Janet Turnbull

8-9 June - Watergrove reservoir, Rochdale

Post by Janet Turnbull »

A walk with a friend on the hills surrounding the reservoir yesterday - she is more than happy to learn about butterflies! Although it was not full sun, the Small Heath were much in evidence as we ploughed through the long moor grass. They were the only ones we saw apart from an indeterminate white butterfly in the distance.
IMG_7828 Small Heath2=crop.jpg
Today I took the tram to St Werbergh's and walked up the Fallowfield Loop to the stretch that runs by the brook, to see if the Meadow Browns had started to emerge. They have not, and I saw only three Large Skippers although on the way I managed a snap of a Small White.
IMG_7849 Small White2.jpg
Back on the station platform there were dozens of Six-spot Burnets nectaring, a single male Common Blue and a single, very fresh, female CB.
IMG_7873 f CB=crop.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a cracking place to get a cracking shot Janet, whilst waiting at the station :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Janet Turnbull

10th June: Foulshaw Moss

Post by Janet Turnbull »

So I'd heard the Large Heaths were out at Foulshaw Moss and went up there to investigate. I called in at Lancaster Services and bought a takeaway coffee, which was much too hot, so I put it in the cup well of the car intending to drink it on arrival at the Moss. I found I didn't want it just then, so I set out along the boardwalk looking out for the butterflies. They were hyper active with it being so hot and it was difficult to catch one near enough to the boardwalk to photograph. I wandered round twice and saw hundreds of four-spot chasers and blue and red damselflies, and was just about able to see the osprey through the telescope - I was told it was acting as a sunshade for its chicks but the heat haze meant a lot of imagination had to be used. There were a few Large Skippers and a couple of GVWs, and a Common Heath moth
IMG_7932 Four-spot chaser.jpg
IMG_7925 Red damselflies mating.jpg
IMG_7927 Blue damselflies mating.jpg
IMG_7951 Blue damselflies ovipositing.jpg
IMG_7934 Large Skipper.jpg
IMG_7972 Common Heath=crop.jpg
I was delighted to catch sight of a reed bunting and was naively surprised to see it quite high in a tree :roll: ! although that particular shot didn't turn out too well.
Eventually I managed to get some good shots of the Large Heath as it turned obligingly to catch the light.
IMG_7894 Large Heath.jpg
IMG_7903 Large Heath.jpg
IMG_7971 Large Heath=crop.jpg
A lizard ran across the boardwalk and peeped out at me from the safety of a crack
IMG_7953 Lizard.jpg
and you could tell which were the butterfly hunters because they had their backs to the osprey nest which is currently the main attraction at the Moss
IMG_7976 Butterfly hunters=s.jpg
(and here is one that was made earlier)
20180610_145800 Osprey nest=s.jpg
Returning to the car some three and a half hours later, I drank the coffee which was still quite hot, having been parked in the full sun!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff again Janet, loving the four Damselflies shot :D And Large Heaths, it's definitely the turn of us Southerners to feel some envy :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done Janet! :D you didn't go a cross the road to see the NB then at Latterbarrow :?: :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”