William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

Thanks for the kind comments guys, as ever, much appreciated.

Egg Hunting

With sunny winter days and no butterflies to search for on them, I always go for the next best thing, their eggs. Where I am there are strong populations of Brown and Purple Hairstreak (though you wouldn't know it from the number of adults I manage to actually photograph) and a friend has White Letter Hairstreak in his garden. I succeeded in finding eggs of Brown Hairstreak - the best numbers ever in fact, two singles at two different sites, 6 at another site, 11 at another and 12 at yet another - happy days!

Sadly I haven't yet managed two find the fabled 'twoer' (two eggs laid next to each other on the same growth scar), this is about the closest I've got...
Brown Hairstreak Ova
Brown Hairstreak Ova
Purple Hairstreaks were incredibly scarce this year as adults (I can normally easily find 30 adults in the right place on the right evening), so it was no surprise that in a brief search I found no eggs, but I will be back!

Nevertheless, I did manage some White-Letters.
White Letter Hairstreak Ova
White Letter Hairstreak Ova
White Letter Hairstreak Ovum
White Letter Hairstreak Ovum

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Superb finds William, and excellent photos to boot, as usual!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Welcome William, your photo's are great roll on next year and more shots from you Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi William, great ovum shots! I've had two unsuccessful hairstreak egg hunts over the weekend, Browns and WL so I am VERY jealous of your pics. I won't give up though!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
William

Post by William »

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, much appreciated! I can't really take any credit for the White-Letter eggs as they were in a friend's garden where he had already found them - I'm not complaining, though some of the fun of tracking them down is lost!

Bugboy - don't lose the faith, egg-hunting is absorbing and frustrating, but when it is successful, thrilling. I found no Brown Hairstreak eggs in the spot where I found 11 this year - butterflies are capricious creatures :)

BWs,

William

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

William wrote:Bugboy - don't lose the faith, egg-hunting is absorbing and frustrating, but when it is successful, thrilling. I found no Brown Hairstreak eggs in the spot where I found 11 this year - butterflies are capricious creatures :)

BWs,

William
Oh no, I won't lose faith. The Brown hairstreak egg hunt was based on a 1 female sighting in an area where they haven't been recorded in many years and the WL was just a quick search, may go back another day and do a proper search for the WL. I never have a problem finding Purples when I put my mind too it. I enjoy the challenge even if I come away with nothing.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
William

Post by William »

Happy New Year everyone! Fortunate to start the year with a bang this morning, with a Red Admiral looking for somewhere to hide from the weather at Exeter St David's station of all places :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI William,

Great find at St. David's Stn. This will make the Red Admiral once again a 12 month a year species.
I have seen RAs.in every Winter month over the years, and I expect we will see some more later in February
if it's mild.

Wishing you a Happy Butterflyingly 2015.
TREVOR.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Can't get an earlier sighting than that! Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time...

William

Post by William »

Thanks guys, hope I'm in the right place at the right time again with Brown Hairstreaks this summer :) . I managed to find another Red Admiral today (this time in native Somerset), flying in the weak sunshine, may this be the start of a long run of luck!

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent find William - I hope your long continues right through 2015 :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Thanks Wurzel - same to you!

Hibernation Station

A couple of wintery immature stages from the last few weeks.
Brown Hairstreak Ovum
Brown Hairstreak Ovum
A Brown Hairstreak Egg against an unusually sunny, blue sky. I've had lots of luck with these this winter, finding them in 5 different grid squares near my home!
Small Skipper Larvae
Small Skipper Larvae
Small Skipper Larvae in their trademark hibernation cocoons, looking forward to seeing these develop!

It's not all cold and grey though, I managed to find another Red Admiral today, basking on a dead tree at a local spot - roll on spring!

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi William,

your photo of the Small Skipper larva is quite remarkable. Well done.

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, William. Those cocoons with tiny Skipper larvae within must surely be a first on UKB?

William

Post by William »

Nick - Thank you very much, a great compliment after all the magnificent immature stage photos you have been posting!

David - You are most kind, though I believe the maestros (Pete and Vince) got there first :wink:

BWs,

William

David M

Post by David M »

William wrote:You are most kind, though I believe the maestros (Pete and Vince) got there first
Were they wild images though?

William

Post by William »

It Begins!

Having gotten off the mark on New Year's Day and had few subsequent sightings (apart from a rogue Speckled Wood in the sitting room yesterday - not sure of its provenance!) I was champing at the bit when I saw a nice weather forecast for today. Unusually, the predicted forecast was delivered, and my garden was the place to be, with 3 Peacocks, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Commas, and more bees than you could shake a stick at - spring is here at last!

The Commas in particular proved very photogenic...
Comma
Comma
Comma
Comma
Comma
Comma
Comma
Comma
Buoyed by this discovery I decided to make a short trip down the road that I'd been planning for some time. Turns out I timed it just right (Thanks Pete!) and I was rewarded with 2 very nice webs of Marsh Fritillary larvae. It was a great joy to see these for the first time, very active in the sun, wriggling around investigating grass stems and basking happily. My advice to anyone looking for them: watch where you're walking! At this time of year they're very small and very easily missed!
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larvae
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Marsh Fritillary Larva
Continuing the larval theme, I checked on the Small Copper larva, who has survived the winter (thanks again Pete!) and seems to be just waking up. If you look in the photo below, you can see the silken pad on which he spent the winter just below him!
Small Copper Larva
Small Copper Larva

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

What an excellent start to the year, Will! Look forward to hearing how the Marshies and Small Copper are coming along!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff William and some lovely photos, I particularly like the second Comma :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

The Comma Butterflies look lovely.

Return to “Personal Diaries”