Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

I'm crossing all my digits (toes too!) David! :wink:

Today was glorious and is usually the way I was stuck at work. I managed to get out during a free and saw a pair of Orange-tip, a Large White and a Holly Blue in the "wildlife" area. I tried out the "sport mode" on my camera to try and capture some shots of Orange-tip in flight...but I'll leave them for another day.

On the way home there were a few whites and Brimstones fluttering along the hedgerows as I raced to get home. Kids fed, bathed, stories read and in bed, washing up done and wife ensconsed on hte sofa I flew over to Bentley Wood. There were still a few hours of daylight to make hte most of! :D

Once I arrived I headed straight to the Eastern Clearing and bumped into a couple of other butterfliers (Craig Bird and sorry I didn't get your name) who had obviously had the same idea. Pearls were flapping manically around in between the sunlit areas and shadows. As we were chatting about what might be about, and strangley just after I had referred to my lucky hat, a Duke flew into view and posed obligingly for us.
043 - Copy-001.JPG
047 - Copy-001.JPG
Then I had a bit more of a look around. The Pearls were very flighty - whizzing around rarely settling long enough to even appraoch them. Some did seem to like the stacks of straw while occasionally they would become engrossed in nectaring on Bugle so it was possibe to get some shots.
057 - Copy-001 (2).JPG
061 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
067 - Copy-001 (2).JPG
As the evening progressed I looked around for roosting Small Pearls but with no luck. Instead I saw a Peacock, Comma, more Pearls and also this little chappy who must have been caught out by the setting sun. The Slow Worm was in the middle of the path and was very torpid and cold to the touch so it was probably basking in the evening sun when it dropped below the tree line plunging it into shade. I moved it slightly off the path and into some long grass...perhaps I shouldn't have but it felt like the right thing to do.
078 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
As the areas of shade increased the butterflies seemed to melt away and I put the camera down so I could revel in the eveningsong - Blackcap and Garden Warbler, a passing Greater Spotted Woodpecker and from the edge of the pines the unmistakable churring of the Nightjar. That sound took me back to when I was a kid living at Canford Heath, windows open on summer nights... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sounds like a very nice evening,Wurzel-glad you managed to make the most of a rare spell of good weather. I havn't heard a churring Nightjar for years,they are now extinct in Essex,sadly.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Glad to see you are getting out. Your Duke would appear to be a Duchess ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I had to attend a course today in Southampton and as I set off I was sorely tempted to call in at Bentley Wood on the way...I didn’t which was just as well as the traffic everywhere was pretty slow. I still arrived early so had a quick look around the grounds of the venue. A Holly Blue and Orange-tip succeeded in frustrating me, the Holly Blue even appeared at the window while I was drinking the pre-course coffee!
By lunchtime I was raring to get out but the butterflies were solar supercharged by then so I didn’t stand a chance!
This evening, jobs done and my older daughter dropped off at Rainbows I headed to Five Rivers. The sun was still beating down and the grass was heady and fragrant and also much longer than when I last visited. I was hoping for some Blues and maybe a Brown Argus.
First butterfly of the evening was a Small Heath – one of many over the next 50 minutes. I couldn’t get any photos as they all behaved in the same fashion, exploding from the grass like an orange bullet and then jinking and circling until you lose sight of them. I checked the banks and found a mating pair of blues. At first they were flying and I thought it looked unusual and then as they dropped onto a blade of grass I noticed that it was only the male that was flapping! They stayed locked together for a good 20 minutes even having a bit of a “tug of love” along the grass blade.
090 - Copy-001.JPG
Further along a large orangey butterfly became a battered Small Tortoiseshell when it landed. It was good to see and know that some of the early birds are still around.
104 - Copy-001.JPG
Time almost up I found I’d worked my way round in a circle back to the initial bank. A male Common Blue (probably the same one slightly worn out?) did the usual “blue on a stick” pose. I watched it for a while and if the breeze upset it it would fly around and about finally landing within 3 feet from where it had started from. The minute it landed it would shuffle around on the perch until it was facing the ground, it would open it’s wings a fraction and then lock them shut almost. I tried taking the same butterfly from two different angle with the sun in front and behind and was surprised by the difference in the colouration it causes.
129 - Copy-001.JPG
141 - Copy-001.JPG
Now the Marsh Fritillary has been seen at Hod Hill I’m glad that I’d planned to head there this weekend – it’s my older daughters 7th Birthday – what a treat it will be for her! :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Lovely pictures :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for your kind comment DMS :D

I didn't realise that Goatsuckers were extinct in Essex, Essexbuzzard :( I haven't heard one for a few years now and the last one I saw was catching moths round a steet light in Kefalonia!

Cheers for the sexual discrimination Mark, that can get you into trouble can't it? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

At the start of the week I was planning to head to Hod Hill this weekend for Marsh Fritillary and those little green gits! But despite that I couldn’t miss the opportunity to visit Bentley Wood today with Philzoid and his daughter Izzy. My daughter Kitty came along too and I’m not sure who had the best day – Phil and I surrounded by a plethora of butterflies or the girls who spent the day chatting about “secret stuff” and swapping sweets?
Any way we started in the Eastern clearing and what a difference a couple of weeks can make. The last time Kitty and I were here we were struggling to find butterflies and yet today we were struggling to watch one as another would fly in and distract you! Throughout the next hour there were many Pearl Bordered Fritillaries which looked slightly paler and more faded than the recently emerged Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. One individual was slightly less flighty than a lot of the others and when I managed to get close I could see why.
003 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
The Small Pearls were on a mission it seemed and very flighty. You’d watch one it would travel back and forth, gliding here and there and then just as it looked like it would land another Small or Pearl would appear, there’d be a tussle and a bit of a chase but then they’d be off again! But very occasionally they would take nectar, generally from Bugle and then you could get close enough for photos. They were a lot paler and more sandy coloured on the under wing than I remember as I always thought they had more red on the under wing? But when the light would shine through the red spotting would become apparent again.
2 grounded!
2 grounded!
closer
closer
cherons not flying - difficult to get as they were so active!
cherons not flying - difficult to get as they were so active!
real close up
real close up
026 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
We moved up towards the cleared area and this too provided a good range of species with Grizzlies, Dukes and more Pearls. One of the Grizzlies seemed darker than the others and the markings much smaller than usual although it probably falls into the usual range of variation.
Can't get enough Dukes - is this a good year for them or what?
Can't get enough Dukes - is this a good year for them or what?
051 - Copy-001.JPG
060 - Copy-001.JPG
Between the main part of the clearing and the more extended, recently cleared area there were 2 Dukes, 2 male and a female Brimstone, a Peacock, Dingy Skipper, 3 Grizzlies, at least 5 Small Pearls and probably 20+ Pearls including an ovipositing female. The high temperatures whilst great for getting butterflies out and about worked against us slightly as they were almost solar turbo charged! Still it was a manic hour, hour and a half and we even found an Argent and Sable.
064 - Copy-001.JPG
The girls were getting hungry so we set off back to the car park and from there onto an undisclosed site for lunch...more on that tomorrow!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sounds like a great day Wurzel-well done. It looks like i'm going to miss out on Pearls this year,having seen them in good numbers in Cornwall last time round. They are extinct in Essex :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheer up EssexBuzzard - at least you've got Heath Fritillaries to look forward to - if only... :cry:

Today was my older daughters 7th Birthday so yesterday we spent the entire day doing what she wanted – visiting Coral Cove (a soft play centre not an aquarium as I’d first imagined) then watching her new Disney DVD (Frog Princess) and finishing up with a massive Roast for dinner. Once she was finally tucked up in bed I excused myself for a few hours and headed over to Martin Down to enjoy the evening sun.
A few years back I lived in Sixpenny Handley so I’d spend most of my spring and summer evenings strolling around the reserve or just lying back on the rifle butt and listening to the bird song. Now, whilst still enjoying the bird song, I was looking for butterflies and I headed straight to the Sillens Lane car park and started working my way along the hedgerow. At the first gate a small dark brownish butterfly flew up from the hedge and over it –a Green Hairstreak? No matter I carried on determined to not let my nemesis spoil my evening. At one point the hedge continues and is joined on the other side by another hedge so it feels like you’re walking up a Hawthorn tunnel and as I entered this part butterflies seemed to suddenly abound. A Brimstone was joined in its patrolling by a male Orange-tip, a Common Blue fluttered about always looking like it would land and never actually getting round to it! I was still scanning the hedgerow so i forced my eyes downward and that was where the real spectacle was to be found. Small Blues seemed to be everywhere! At one point I found 5 roosting on one piece of vegetation – I could only just squeeze 3 into shot!
026 - Copy-001.JPG
I’d turn round on the path and there would be miniscule blue butterflies taking off and resettling each direction I looked. Each time I see a species for the first time in a year I see something that I’ve forgotten and with Small Blue it’s just how small they really are!
036 - Copy-001.JPG
047 - Copy-001.JPG
060 - Copy-001.JPG
Having to tear myself away from the Small Blues I continued on down the “tunnel” and it seemed that the Blues were new replaced by Grizzlies and again cohabiting seemed to be all the rage with plenty of roosts hosting 2 or more Grizzlies. Although in some cases the reason soon became apparent!
071 - Copy-001.JPG
069 - Copy-001.JPG
By now my meanderings had brought me to the end and the tunnel opened out onto the down near the rings. Here there was a lone Peacock enjoying the last sun of the day and also more Grizllies and the occasional Dingy. With time ticking by I thought that I needed to be heading back so once more into the tunnel I headed. This time a Speckled Wood greeted me and then a smaller, blue sized butterfly flitted around on the Hawthorn. A Green Hairstreak at last – now I just had to watch to see if it would land. It did...but too high and in such a position that I couldn’t get the lens on it! So close!!
Oh well perhaps that is the way it will be for me and Green Hairstreaks this year. As I headed back I was cheered up no end with more encounters with Grizzlies and Small Blues as well as a Small Heath and once almost back near the car a Yellowhammer.
076 - Copy-001.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
098 - Copy-001.JPG
102 - Copy-001.JPG
So now I've definitely seen a Green Streak I might find one to actually photograph...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote: So now I've definitely seen a Green Streak I might find one to actually photograph...
Persistence pays off, Wurzel!

I knew you'd get there in the end. :)

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Glad to see you got your Greenstreak Wurzel :)

Loved the Small Blue photos with the contrasting dusting of blue scales against the brown background.

The yellowhammer shot is smashing :o :!:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David - now I just need to get a photo of one! :roll:

Cheers for your comments Philzoid - all photos from luck rather then judgement!

Last night I took a flying visit to Bentley Wood in order to make the most of the nice weather while it lasts and also to get some more photos of Small Pearls that were slightly less turbo charged. I was also hoping that I might be able to get some shots of the Small Pearls with the sun shining through their wings to give the stained glass window effect...
The first butterfly of the evening was a solitary Speckled Wood who greets me along the path flitting between shadows and glaring evening sun. Even though it’s past 6pm it’s still really warm so perhaps the other butterflies will still be as active?
Once on site the second butterfly whizzes past, after a short while it lands just long enough for me to see that it’s a Grizzlie. Then a slightly larger and more beige something blurs by – this time a Dingy Skipper.
027 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Next is a very battered and tired looking Pearl Bordered Fritillary and I knew it was this species before it had even landed by the much paler colouration. It’s either had a lucky escape from a predator or a very busy fortnight of hard living!
331 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Finally something ever so slightly smaller but much brighter caught my eye - a Small Pearl. Over the next 20 minutes it didn’t leave my side and produced all manner of poses – up high, down low, wings open wide (showing the non-flying chevrons), the slightly down-folded wings, closed wings and finally the all important open wings with the sun behind shot that I came for.
342 - Copy-001.JPG
360 - Copy-001.JPG
347 - Copy-001.JPG
374 - Copy-001.JPG
Job done, time to head home with a bottle of “Proper job” waiting – very appropriate! Looks like I’ve worn out Bentley for the time being, only 5 butterflies, but 5 species tonight, so I probably won’t be back now for a good few weeks...I wonder what’s going on at Garston Wood?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Beautiful photo of the Yellowhammer Wurzel.

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,
Yet again more great piccies, especially of the SPBF and PBF's.
I am yet to snap either on my mobile phone mission, nor even see one; :mrgreen:
So even though I chuckle about your GHS scenario, I am longing to see these!
Flutter on!
CJB

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thanks for your comments CJB and Pauline! :D

Having checked the rather depressing weather reports I decided to give my wife a break and take the kids out for the morning as this might be the last chance for the foreseeable future! Having done Bentley to death and with the problem of the local park at Five Rivers as a distraction we set off for Martin Down. “Who knows...” I thought “...perhaps I might find my first Brown Argus of the year, but I know what I won’t find!” So muttering under my breath about green and streak and hair I unloaded the girls from the car. The car park was packed – it seems we’d arrived at the same time as a mothing party were packing up and a birding party were setting off. As usual I ploughed my own furrow, let the birders go, and then promptly headed off in the opposite direction! Luckily for me that was the route I’d intended.
So along the hedgerow we walked, me in the ruts, the girls on either side on the raised parts of the track. They were great – Dingy and Grizzled Skipper, Small Heath all pointed out and then the blues – Common and Small. Both girls took great delight in how small the Small Blues were. Then we reached the first gated area. A brief look found a pair of Speckled Wood but not a lot else so we continued along the track.
031 - Copy-001.JPG
044 - Copy-001.JPG
As we set off up the “tunnel” I was hoping for good things as it should have been more sheltered from the wind but it actually seemed like it was acting as a funnel forcing the air along it. With this small problem and what with my younger daughter being such a short arse and the grass/nettles/prickles being so high we had to turn back but not before noting a male Orange-tip patrolling along the hedge and another pair of Speckled Wood. So we set off back to the car and while I was watching a female Orange-tip something small and green caught my eye, almost like a flying emerald. Surely not! But yes it was! Finally! A Green hairstreak. :shock: :shock: This one kept close to the ground so I presume it was a female. During the five minutes it deemed to share with me I clicked away, the relief causing a little camera shake but I noticed it’s brown socks –something I’d not seen before. I can't work out why I only saw them here today - I've looked in this area a couple of times over the last couple of weeks with no luck so why now? The only difference is the time of day. Every other time was in the afternoon or early evening wheras today it was first thing in the morning - so a belated thank you to Phil and Rosalyn for pointing that out! :D
Battered, scarred (bird attack) and replete of scales - but who cares it's a hairstreak and it's green!
Battered, scarred (bird attack) and replete of scales - but who cares it's a hairstreak and it's green!
079 - Copy-001.JPG
On the way back feeling jubilant (very appropriate for this weekend) we were joined by more butterflies. There were Small Heath, Common and Small Blues in the longer grass so you’d have to lean over to try and get some shots. Along the margins were battered and worn Grizzlies and on the path itself Dingy Skippers. My younger daughter found one of these to be most amusing as it skittered along the path in front of us, settling then moving forward, then settling, then flying forward etc etc. “Why doesn’t he go over there?” she kept enquiring, so in the end we had to walk as close to the edge of the path as we could while she directed us away from the “poor little dingy”!
We were almost back at the car when everything seemed to appear. There were Small and Common Blues, another Dingy on the path and a golden blur that went by. I followed it and then made the approach and it was my first Golden Skipper this year – a Large Skipper!
092 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Another Small Blue almost in my car was too tempting to resist despite the protestations from the girls who by now had drunk their drinks and eaten their bribe sweets.
101 - Copy-001.JPG
Once back at the car we packed up and I went to open the door when I noticed something on the wheel – a huge moth. It seems the moth trappers had emptied their trap and this beauty was left behind, an Eyed Hawk Moth.
121 - Copy-001.JPG
131 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was carrying it over to the hedge because I didn’t think it would be able to hang onto the wheel all the way home I noticed this one as well which I think is a Pale tussock?
134 - Copy-001.JPG
151 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
With that we loaded up and headed home for lunch – finally a Greenstreak, but still no Brown Argus...and so it begins again... :? Still by the time the weather improves I should think there will be plenty more just itching to emerge:lol:
Have a goodun
Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Congratulations on the Green Hairstreak, Wurzel! :) My current nemesis is the Small Tortoiseshell...

Dave

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Great Pictures and well done on photographing the GHS. :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great shots Wurzel and well done on your Green Hairstreak :D

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

A splendid array of species there, Wurzel. The Hawk Moth must almost have eclipsed the 'Greenstreak'.

Nice to see Large Skippers out. They'll keep us company till August now.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave (Millerd) I've only seen three Small Torts this year which is well down but there's still plenty of time to catch your nemesis! :D

Thanks Debbie and Neil for your kind comments :D

Cheers Dave M - nothing could of eclipsed the Green Streak for me...well maybe a Clouded Yellow? :lol:

On Wednesday night I dropped my older daughter off at Rainbows and headed over to Five Rivers to check out my local patch. As I arrived it still felt warm and balmy I was hoping for some good sightings. But what I found was a series of mass emergences and a more general “massing”...
I headed straight towards the banks which are good for Blues but there were none there this time. Instead as I skirted the longer grass at the edge of the bank huge numbers of black and white things would fly up then drop then fly up, then drop almost as if they were attached to a Yo-Yo. No matter where I looked there were huge numbers doing exactly the same thing. A mass emergence of Mayflies. I’m not certain how many species were part of the emergence, possibly just the one Ephemera dancia and I managed to photograph one individual.
040-001.JPG
On the other side of the Hawthorn hedge on the more sheltered side of the bank there were also plenty of the yo-yo like mayflies and they were joined by vast squadrons of Damselflies – all of which seemed to be Banded Demoiselles. These were even more skittish than the Mayflies, rising into the air when I was 3 metres away, and at one point because a solitary male Orange-tip patrolled by! The majority were the showy males with their metallic blue bodies and dark spots on their wings.
059-001.JPG
077-001.JPG
I did find a few females who looked to all intents and purposes like a different species. They were green instead of blue, lacked the large dark spots on their wings which instead had a small white spot near the tip and their abdomens end in red making them look a little like traffic lights. :lol:
048-001.JPG
101-001 - Copy.JPG
As I rounded the corner at the top of the reserve and passed breaks in the Hawthorn the air around it would become alive with small moths. When they landed they possessed some of teh largest antennae I have ever seen! I thought they were more Longhorn moths but they weren’t gold/green like I’d previously seen. The good old Collins Guide (which I have to return to the library again having used up my allowed “restamping”) could only offer up one idea for the species – Nemophora degeerella – but the photo of that has blue bands on the wings and the overall colour seems more lime/green? Whereas my individuals were more straw and gold coloured? Any ideas greatly received. :?
092-001.JPG
Further round at the Northern corner of the reserve I finally found a couple of Common Blues, one of which didn’t lead me in the customary “merry dance” and sat as good as gold for me so I could get a photograph of a butterfly and so justify this post! :D
109-001 - Copy.JPG
As I headed back and with only a few moments to spare I had my eye caught by a brillient scarlet from in the longer grass. A Cinnabar.
119-001.JPG
Still no Brown Argus – but I’ll try again at the weekend. Perhaps it’s still a little too early for them at this site?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”