Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I wrote:
Meanwhile, I am reading that splendid book “Three Men in a Boat”. Not only is is a great read but it has some wonderful insights into the wildlife along the Kingston/Runnymead area of the River Thames in the late 1800s (Jerome K Jerome wrote the book in 1889). At the beginning of chapter 2:
“...the moorhen’s plaintive cry and the harsh croak of the corncrake stirs the awed hush...”
So corncrakes along the Thames in those days? How times have changed.

But more intriguingly is in Chapter 5, Harris complains about being woken up by those “bally parrots.” George tries to calm things by explaining that:”A few of those ruffians escaped from London Zoo three or four years ago and they TOO seem to have taken a liking for this area; you mustn’t blame them.”
No one picked up on that one. The reference about Corncrakes is a direct quote from Chapter 2 of “Three Men in a Boat”. But the "bally parrots" didn't appear along the Thames until 100 years later.

April Fools!

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:April Fools!
Afraid I don't remember clearly whether any parrots escaped in 1889.

The pesky Ring-necked Parakeets have just reached Abingdon, however, via Henley and Wallingford, so we shall soon have their morning clamour to contend with here!

Mike

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You're becoming subtle in your old age, Jack! I found your post interesting but not that shocking and added parrots along the Thames in the 19th century to my stock of anecdotal information about the world.

I'm trying to remember when I first heard ring-necked parakeets in Oxford. It was after I left the university but while I still took summer jobs running language schools (in the Headington Road) - so probably in the late 1980s or perhaps the very early 1990s. I say 'heard' because my first encounter was at night and I thought someone had just been murdered outside my window.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Having not read the original work I didn't twig :oops:
Have you read "Boogie up the River" by Mark Wallington, it's a modern day parody and is hilarious. The same author also wrote"500 Mile Walkies" to recount his journey round the South West Coast Path, also hilarious.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickB

Post by NickB »

Got us bang to rights; I couldn't remember the parrots - but I can't remember a lot these days.
At least it was because I hadn't forgotten them!
Nice one, Jack - and welcome back!
N

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I was looking at the birds recorded at Sevenoaks Wildlife Reserve the other day and Ring Necked Parakeets have even been seen there! Only 3 this year though, and it is still much quiter in Kent without them (for now...). They nested opposite my bedroom window in Greenford :roll:

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Parrots

Post by Jack Harrison »

Now this is a true parrot story (anecdote for Guy perhaps?)

During WW2 as radar was being developed, a device was invented called: “Identification Friend or Foe” as an aid to those watching the radar screens. As is typical of the military, it was given a code word, in this case “Parrot”. There was jargon associated with the “Parrot”. I can’t recall much now as the system was already on its way out when I started flying in the late 1950s but I do remember the wonderful instruction for turning it off: “Strangle Parrot”. One phrase however has persisted with the modern-day transponder: “Squawk”. Aircraft today are told to: “Squawk 4427” (or whatever) meaning change transponder settings to 4427. Many pilots today haven’t a clue why the term squawk is used.

The system can be seen in simulated form in the excellent website: http://www.flightradar24.com/ where flights can be tracked in real time or playback.

Incidentally, my paternal grandmother had the maiden name Parrott.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have to go to Dorking area for a couple of days so might see one or two of you on Denbies Hillside on Wednesday or Thursday - weather is quite promising.

Jack

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Jack Harrison wrote:You are so right Gibster. I briefly joined a Norfolk group but after seeing many posts along these lines:
With the greatest respect: it's only a Black-throated Diver! You either saw it or you didn't: no-one else is really bothered either way!
They were condescending in the extreme and only ever seemed to talk about Olivaceous Siberian Twits (or something like that). There was no way you were allowed to get any pleasure from seeing a Robin on your bird feeder; that was beneath contempt.

I no longer bother with that group.

Jack
In the distant past, I've come across that sort of thing with Butterfly watchers.
A.N.Other wrote: .
It's only a Common Blue

When searching the hills for other blues.

To my eyes, the Common Blue is a delight at any time. Some of their very blue females on my little 'reserve' are also a delight to my eyes too. The first Small Heath of the season is also a delight as is the first Speckled Wood in my garden every spring. Having had a number of large mature trees which they lived around removed from my garden last year, I wondered if they would still be around like they have been for over twenty years. Those trees were now simply far too big for my small suburban garden. Pleased to say they are still around. Several sparring males and female so fresh on the garden path the other day that she was not ready to fly having been freshly emerged with wings still a tad limp. I have seen them egg laying and have occasionally found their pupae when working in the garden. Hope they continue to stick around the smaller bushes now.

Where did that superb weather go ... :(... Hope it returns soon.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Jack Harrison

Stairway to Heaven

Post by Jack Harrison »

Many will recognise the gate to this little gem of a site but for those don't, try an inspired guess.
Please keep mum if you are familiar - let the others guess.Image
Jack

Pawpawsaurus

Re: Stairway to Heaven

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Jack Harrison wrote:Many will recognise the gate to this little gem of a site but for those don't, try an inspired guess.
Please keep mum if you are familiar - let the others guess.
It looks a little like an HMWT site in west Herts which I've visited a few times, but not enough like it to tempt me to guess that it's it.

At any rate, I'd hazard a guess that it's not Norfolk ...

Paul

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Is that a new fence...?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not sure if it's new - probably is.

Of course it's the entrance to the splendid Denbies Hillside on the North Downs above Dorking.

Went to Denbies Vineyard while in the area. It's well worth a visit. I bought a bottle of their wine. Superb quality for £8.

Jack

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Susie will probably say other areas but I have seen Green Hairstreak to the right of that gate and Grizzled Skipper to the left. And Adonis Blue just behind where you were standing.

Lee

millerd

Post by millerd »

The gate and the fence are both new. Take time to amble gently about the whole hillside on three or four days throughout the season, and more than 30 species may be found here.

Dave

Susie

Re: Parrots

Post by Susie »

Jack Harrison wrote:Now this is a true parrot story (anecdote for Guy perhaps?)

During WW2 as radar was being developed, a device was invented called: “Identification Friend or Foe” as an aid to those watching the radar screens. As is typical of the military, it was given a code word, in this case “Parrot”. There was jargon associated with the “Parrot”. I can’t recall much now as the system was already on its way out when I started flying in the late 1950s but I do remember the wonderful instruction for turning it off: “Strangle Parrot”. One phrase however has persisted with the modern-day transponder: “Squawk”. Aircraft today are told to: “Squawk 4427” (or whatever) meaning change transponder settings to 4427. Many pilots today haven’t a clue why the term squawk is used.

The system can be seen in simulated form in the excellent website: http://www.flightradar24.com/ where flights can be tracked in real time or playback.

Jack
My paternal great grandmother had the maiden name Parrott. :shock:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Can any explain why barbed wire is used here? Or indeed, why barbed is legal at all? (except of course in military situations). I ripped clothes once years ago (when young) after stumbling. Recently a cat was seriously injured and cost a fortune in vet’s bills?

Surely there are better and safer ways of keeping sheep, cattle, etc in the correct place?

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I still have the scars from when I took out a barbed wire fence as I cycled down a mountain track at high speed (http://www.guypadfield.com/images/arm2.jpg) 15 years ago (the farmer had forgotten to put the white rag on the wire so it was barely visible in the rain).

Small enclosures are usually fenced off with electric fencing here, but the bigger grazing boundaries, running across the countryside, are still mostly barbed wire. It's cheap and it works.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Guy:
...barbed wire. It's cheap and it works.
That might be so for the landowner/farmer but an extra penny or two on the cost of meat would be a small price to pay to keep the rest of us safer.

So presumably the landowning/farming world is not covered by "Health & Safety" then?

Nasty injury that Guy.

Jack

NickB

Re: Parrots

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote:Now this is a true parrot story (anecdote for Guy perhaps?)

Jack
My paternal great grandmother had the maiden name Parrott. :shock:
OMG! Does that mean you might be related to Jack :shock:
That might explain a lot..... :lol:

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Personal Diaries”