Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Goldie M

Post by trevor »

Well done with those Wall Browns, Goldie.
Surely the quickest, most frustrating and infuriating butterflies of all.
They seem to know when you are about to press the shutter button.

But they are great fun!.

Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, they certainly are great fun :D but really frustrating :D I know your shots of them very well by reading your posts :D
Now I know where to find them I hope to catch more shots of them next year if I'm in Kent in April.
I took the shots at Reculver, it was a Roman fort I think and the Wall is still there in parts, it's also a sheltered path by the Pub a way from the Sea front and boy do they love that Wall, they were flying about it starting at one end of the path then flying full length down to the other end :D I really enjoyed myself watching them :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Wall shots Goldie :mrgreen: -they can be right pains to get any shot of - I swear they can detect a camera focusing from 100 yards :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I keep looking back over the year's at the photos of the Wall i've taken and they were the best shots too date:D
I keep doing this because some of my shots of Adonis and Marsh Fritillary were not really up to scratch, in those days I'd just a hand camera and I was learning :D That's why I'd like to get more shots of these Butterflies, plus, quite a few more. :D

I've included the only two reasonable shots I took of MF from way back in 2012 because I know you like your Marshies :D Goldie :D
Attachments
0C1C8F2F-61D0-4E0E-9C78-A3653CF4003E_1_105_c.jpeg
E253E118-2402-4E68-B6B6-3519B879ED13_1_105_c.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was looking outside tonight and spotted the full Moon, being as it may be the last for 2019 I just had to take some shots :D I grabbed my camera and took the shots from the bedroom window just in case it was covered by clouds
It's amazing really when you think it's been pouring with rain on and off all day. :o Goldie :D
Attachments
0D1BFBCB-AD7A-4CC8-A302-35B0A4295B8B.jpeg
53D02CE2-7CD0-42BC-8ECF-F4576C72F6B9.jpeg
998940AD-34AB-402D-8CA2-B8B8AC0D7810.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed I do like my Marshies Goldie :D and those are some cracking shots of that one - really nicely marked :D 8) :mrgreen: A nice brightener on this miserable night :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Goldie. We think alike! It was a beautiful full moon tonight down here in Suffolk, though we also enjoyed a beautiful day. I photographed her on my evening dog walk at almost exactly the same time you were photographing her.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work with the moon images, Goldie. Very impressive.

Love the Walls and the Marshies too.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, Guy and David for your posts,
I was happy with those Marshie shots Wurzel but when you think it's been 7 years since I've seen them, I took the shots in North Devon.

We do seem to get the Moon shots at the same time, don't we Guy :D

Many thanks David, it would be great to see the marshies again, hope fully next year :D Goldie :D

I decided to buy a new bird feeder for the Garden so when I spotted this particular one I was pleased, it was so heavy to put up and I did wonder what the birds would think of it :D I needn't have worried !!!!!! :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
7B81D11E-9F21-4AA3-A5E8-7C2B3AAFA257.jpeg
702A1F47-FE13-4E20-BE44-1D5CD4DF079F.jpeg
368F5661-6528-4D84-A8CE-B229C31E4487.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Goldie that's not a bird feeder it's more like a Bird Banqueting Hall! :shock: :lol: Have you got some Niger seeds? They're great for attracting Siskins and Goldfinches :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I thought I was doing some thing with the Bird feeder :? But take a look at this shot some thing looks like it's attacked the feeder :roll: there's a huge hole in it, I can only think it could be Squirrels but would they do such damage ? even one of the openings has been damaged.
I've seen the Starlings on the feeder but it looks more like a Wood pecker's been on it :roll: I don't think even they would do that.I can't even fill it up now :evil: Goldie :D
Attachments
F32D3D1F-CD2A-4C0D-95BF-E4416AE33265.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hell fire Goldie what little natural vandal has been at that? :shock: It could be a Woodpecker - I've seen them have a go at the metal casing at the top of telegraph poles before so some plastic sheeting wold be fairly easy for them. Mind you it could be Squirrels thought they generally work a way round to get the nuts and if they're freely available they'll just take them without destroying the feeder :? :? I don't know you try and do your bit and how does nature repay you :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Funny thing is Wurzel, what ever has done the damage has taken seeds, not the Nuts, I've seen the Squirrels take the nuts and not been interested in any thing else, another oddity is the fact I've put loads of seeds out before which only few birds were taking so I stopped filling the feeders with seeds and started using Suet pellets which they seem to like more, the seeds I filled the feeder with was the last of the seeds :roll:
I'm going to keep a check on the feeder and see if I can find the culprit :) I only bought the feeder because I thought it was great to fill it for when I wen't for Christmas and New Year.

AH! well the best played plans of mice and Men ( women ) in my case :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

I doubt a bird would peck right through the plastic when it can access the food from a bespoke opening, Goldie.

My money's on a squirrel.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I agree, they were back in the Garden this morning, two of them, I've left the feeder alone ,the small birds are still going on it and I'm a way shortly so hope fully next time they come I won't see them and when it runs out of food maybe they'll clear off :roll: My Next door Neighbour has been out with stick so obviously I'm not on my own :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This morning I found Gold Finch outside the Kitchen window tucking in, :D I couldn't resist taking shots of them, then ,one landed on the nuts because there was no room on the seeds, :D It seemed, if he could talk ,he would have said " Come on Guys make room for one more" :lol:

I'd like to wish everybody on UK Butterflies a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW BUTTERFLYING YEAR,

See every one in 2020 and hope fully we'll get a lovely Spring and I'll have no more accidents :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
9B3436CD-E0E7-4698-920A-F0AE6E0667C3_1_201_a.jpeg
E6B96456-0566-46D9-9F6F-6651A8983206_1_201_a.jpeg
A17F54F5-A234-4DF0-88BD-FA069094571F_1_201_a.jpeg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

When organising next years activities Goldie, be sure to head south in May. If you are able, we will finally get you your Grizzed Skippers!

I have found sunflower hearts to be the most successful bird food in my garden. I too have had my feeders demolished by grey squirrels, and have had to resort to metal ones.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Goldfinches Goldie :D I hope the loner managed to get in on the action :D Have a great Christmas :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: I'd like to wish everybody on UK Butterflies a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW BUTTERFLYING YEAR,

See every one in 2020 and hope fully we'll get a lovely Spring and I'll have no more accidents
All the best to you, Goldie, and yes, I sincerely hope you have a better time of things in 2020.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! everybody, thanks for your posts, I've just got back home after spending Christmas and New Year in Kent, I'd a great time and I hope everyone else had the same. :D Now we start over again waiting patiently for Spring :D I did get a nice surprise, when I looked in my Garden and saw the Snow Drops, roll on :D
I'm aiming for the South this year in May essex don't no where yet though any suggestions on certainties Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”