Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. I think the pose is more unusual than the pattern.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

PBF Doing Well At Rewell

A good time was had by all at Rewell Wood today (13 May). My thanks to Tom Parker for helping me complete my count of Pearl-bordered Fritillary over the entire southern half of the site, with five areas producing a total count of 68. In the evening I watched the butterflies going to roost with Garry Philpott and Nigel Symington. A couple of Grizzled Skipper were seen in the first coppice coupe I looked at, and Tom spotted a Green Hairstreak during our tour.
BC PBF communal roost, Rewell Wood 13.5.18.jpg
BC PBF, Rewell Wood 13.5.18.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil:
In the evening I watched the butterflies going to roost with Garry Philpott and Nigel Symington.
Tell me Neil. Did Garry and Nigel roost on the same plants as the PBFs?

Jack :evil:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack

"A good time was had by all"

Good to see you earlier this month, but very frustrating that we missed the first Pearls and Dukes by 24 hours! Next time ...

BWs, Neil

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Neil ,
Rewell Woods looking excellent ! Great work ,Lynne and I was there for about an hour and a half,this morning(14 th) and we counted 14 , really
pleased to see them again ,these are the first Pearl -Borders that I,ve seen outside Kent,my last there ,around 93, with the final records around 99-00(not by me !),a few seasons back we had a look in Abbots Wood ,with no joy. We also noted a few large and Green -Veined Whites, A Speckled Wood ,5 Red Admirals ,afew Orange tips. A couple of woodman asked us if we were looking for butterflies,and were really interested,we were able to show them a Pearl,which was good ! We found the bulk of the pearls exactly where you state in your book ,and also another spot ,further along the ride .
Once Again ,Great work Neil ! Regards Allan.W.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photo's Neil :mrgreen: I tried today to see some no luck, I'll have to move South I thinkGoldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan; I'm really glad that you scored with the Pearls. Much of the credit must go to the Norfolk Estate, which has been hugely generous in helping the PBF and other wildlife over the years. After the recent work, that ride will be good for PBF long after I'm pushing up violets.

Hi Goldie. Pack your bags; you'll always be welcome in Sunny Sussex!

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Stansted Forest

Today (14 May) I made a late afternoon visit to monitor the Pearl-bordered Fritillary reintroduction at Stansted Forest. It was getting rather chilly by the time arrived, so I only saw nine, one of which was this beautiful male.
BC PBF male, Stansted Forest 14.5.18.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Only saw nine, Neil! one would be good :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Still no specs then :( I'll get round to going back just as soon as I've built this aviary - panels delivered tomorrow :D

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:My thanks to Tom Parker for helping me complete my count of Pearl-bordered Fritillary over the entire southern half of the site, with five areas producing a total count of 68.
Those are highly encouraging figures, Neil, and many thanks for posting that image of the three individuals on the dried flowerhead.

It's surprising just how common this species can be on the few sites specifically managed for it.

I hope yours will continue to thrive as this is undoubtedly a particularly beautiful and precious UK butterfly.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie. Whatever the numbers we see, we'll always want to see more!
Hi Pauline. I'll keep looking until my lost property box is full.
Hi David. It's always boom or bust with PBF. So easy to lose the species from a site, but give it what it wants, and BOOM!

BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see so many Pearls Neil - hopefully they'll be emerging from Bentley Wood this weekend - they've been seen at nearby Stockbridge now so the emergence is working it's way Westwards :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Wurzel.
They'll be out, without a doubt. Fill yer boots!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

May Magic

I spent a hugely enjoyable day today (15 May), initially with Matt Twydell of the RSPB, looking at the Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF) and its habitat at Rewell Wood. This species is now showing its appreciation of all the work which has been done over the last few years; numerous females are already dispersing into recently cut areas, which bodes well for next year. We also saw higher than normal numbers (for Rewell) of Green Hairstreak and Grizzled Skipper.

A later visit to Springhead Hill produced good numbers of Duke of Burgundy and Dingy Skipper, a few Green Hairstreak, and my first Small Blue (2) of the year.

I then returned to Rewell Wood, to watch the PBF going to roost. It was clear that they are still emerging in force and I even found a mating pair at 6.30 pm. Throughout the day I kept meeting a couple of visitors from Oxfordshire; I was delighted to fulfill my promise of finding a roosting PBF for them ... and me! Every month should be May, or July.
BC PBF, Rewell Wood 15.5.18.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It's a perfect picture of a perfect Pearl :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Browns Argus

My thanks to Andrea Gibbs of BC Sussex for helping host a private event on the Downs yesterday (16 May). After saying goodbye to our guests we visited Springhead Hill to see a few Duke of Burgundy, Small Blue and our first Brown Argus of the year.
UKB BA1.jpg
UKB BA2.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pearls And Blues

I spent most of yesterday (17 May) monitoring Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF) numbers away from the main Sussex centres at Rewell and Abbot's. One of these sites was Stansted Forest, where I found 11 PBF, including a mating pair. I also saw my first Grizzled Skipper at this location. On the way home I stopped off at Springhead Hill, to watch several Common Blue and Brown Argus going to bed.
BC PBF Stansted Forest 17.5.18.jpg
BC Common Blue female, Springhead Hill 17.5.18.jpg
BC Common Blue male, Springhead Hill 17.5.18.jpg
BC Brown Argus, Springhead Hill 17.5.18.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Some more great images there, Neil. You guys have been doing some great work down there, and you deserve to be rewarded. And there is no greater reward than seeing these butterflies on the sites you are helping to maintain, and improve.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Mark. I certainly got some 'payback' today!
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”