Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel... I managed to get it done in the end.

Dorset part 2 – Monday 2nd September.

For our first full day in Purbeck we decided to have a look around some local spots that we had not visited before. In previous visits we had usually passed straight through Corfe Castle on our way to Swanage and Durlston or maybe Ballard Down or Studland and not turned off the main drag apart from an occasional visit to RSPB Arne.

After breakfast we started off with a look at Kimmeridge Bay which was just five minutes down the road from our B&B. The bay is a designated marine wildlife reserve and known more for snorkelling than butterflies but is a nice scenic area with some good views, particularly from Clavell's Tower up on the cliffs to the east side of the bay. The South-West Coast Path passes along here although the section going west towards Lulworth through the MOD ranges is usually closed during the week when live firing is happening.
We had a look around here for about an hour during which I noted large numbers of Small Whites everywhere I looked.
Small White - Kimmeridge Bay 02.09.2019
Small White - Kimmeridge Bay 02.09.2019
Other butterflies seen here were a couple of faded Painted Ladies and singles of Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral which stayed defiantly out of reach of my camera.

We left Kimmeridge and drove up to a viewpoint car park just north of Steeple that I had spotted on the map and from where there are good views across towards Portland.
Looking across towards Portland from viewpoint near Steeple
Looking across towards Portland from viewpoint near Steeple

I noticed a bridle path here leading down the hillside from the car park and explored a little way along it, again finding lots of Small Whites and a single Red Admiral. Other butterflies around this spot were Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and a Painted Lady.
Painted Lady - Steeple 02.09.2019
Painted Lady - Steeple 02.09.2019
There was also a solitary female Adonis Blue. Being high up and exposed to the blustery wind, I wondered if she had blown over from some likely looking habitat which could be seen a little way to the west, just inside the MOD ranges which were closed at this time.
Adonis Blue female - Steeple 02.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Steeple 02.09.2019
From here we headed back through Corfe Castle and turned off towards Kingston and Worth Matravers. At Kingston I turned towards Swyre Head which is the highest point around here but our arrival at the car park coincided with a large cloud covering the sun which made the blustery wind feel quite nippy and so we chose to move on. We headed back though Kingston and on to Worth Matravers and by the time we pulled into the car park there the cloud had moved on and the sun was out again making it feel pleasantly warm. Also being lower down again there was more shelter from the wind. We had a little wander around the village and sat for while by the duck pond enjoying an ice cream from the tea rooms.

Once again Small Whites were everywhere along with a few Painted Ladies and at least one Red Admiral.
Painted Lady - Worth Matravers 02.09.2019
Painted Lady - Worth Matravers 02.09.2019

I also spotted a Hummingbird Hawk Moth on a clump of valerian growing out of a stone wall and spent some time trying to get some shots.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Worth Matravers 02.09.2019
As I was doing this Jane pointed out a second one on another clump a few feet along the wall so for a while we were watching both at the same time although this second one was more lively and I didn't manage to get any photos of it (well, not any that weren't too blurred)

We then headed back towards Kingston and stopped briefly in a lay-by to take in the view down over Corfe Castle.
Looking down over Corfe Castle.
Looking down over Corfe Castle.
By this time we were into the afternoon and Jane was getting tired after doing what was for her a fair bit of walking. She did not want to overdo it on our first day so she suggested that we head back to the B&B and she would chill out for a bit whilst I popped back out for another hour or so (worth saving those brownie points).

Before heading down to Dorset I had looked on the map and noticed Stonehill Down, a Dorset Wildlife Trust nature reserve up on the Purbeck Ridge not far from our B&B. I reckoned this might be worth a look and so after dropping Jane off I headed up there.
I parked up in a lay-by by the gate into the reserve and headed off across the hillside, immediately feeling the wind which was blowing strongly from the east. This cool wind which was blowing for most of our stay was especially noticeable blowing across south facing hillsides and this site being high on the Purbeck Ridge was particularly exposed.

The first thing I noticed was a good number of Autumn Ladies Tresses growing along the hillside.
Autumn Ladies Tresses - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Autumn Ladies Tresses - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
The road by the reserve does a sharp turn and I headed for a part of the slope that looked to be a little sheltered by the roadside hedge. I had already seen numerous Meadow Browns and Small Heaths battling against the wind and on this slightly more sheltered part of the slope I found both male and female Adonis Blues. The males in particular were mostly looking quite worn, not surprising really in this exposed habitat. There were a few fresher looking ones around but sods law meant that the best ones were quickly whisked away in the wind.
Adonis Blue - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Adonis Blue - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
A few faded Common Blues were also present in this area along with a couple of well worn Brown Argus. At least two Small Coppers were there as well and one of them found a sheltered spot on some brambles to bask for a while.
Small Copper - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Small Copper - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Small Whites were again seen in good numbers and I had a flypast by a Clouded Yellow which vanished rapidly into the distance.

I also saw a nice big female Great Green Bush Cricket. I must admit that despite it's size I would probably have missed her if she hadn't moved and shuffled around on the brambles she was sitting on.
Great Green Bush Cricket - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
Great Green Bush Cricket - Stonehill Down 02.09.2019
After a while the intermittent clouds built up into a thicker overcast which made the wind feel quite nippy so I made a move back to the B&B.

A cracking day visiting some beautiful spots that were all new to me.

To be continued...

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fantastic effort with that Hummer Hawk :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant HHM shots Neil :mrgreen: :D , lovely scenic views as well - take me back they do :) and that is a really heavily marked Painted Lady, she's applied the mascara with a trowel! :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Successful images of one of the most difficult subjects. A feeding Humming Bird HM!.
Also great shots of the male Adonis in your previous post, so hard to capture that electric blue sheen.
We skipped our day out on Purbeck for this year, no Sandbanks ferry.

Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Bugboy, Wurzel and Trevor, very much appreciated :D
trevor wrote:...We skipped our day out on Purbeck for this year, no Sandbanks ferry....Trevor.
We saw a number of signs up around the area warning that the ferry was not running. Our host at the B&B told us that it was due to a broken driveshaft and as these are supposed to last for the life of the ferry there are no spares around. A replacement was apparently being made in Sweden.

Dorset part 3 – Tuesday 3rd September.

Jane was keen to pop into Swanage at some point and with a cloudy start to Tuesday morning we decided to drive there after breakfast. The local weather forecast had said that it should brighten up later in the morning and if this proved to be true we could pop up to Durlston Country Park.
After spending an hour or so in Swanage the clouds did indeed start to thin and allow the sun to break through and with Jane having done her bit of shopping, we went on to Durlston. After parking the car, we wandered down to the ‘castle’ where we spotted some activity on the buddleia just outside the visitor centre. A closer look showed this to be playing host to over a dozen Small Whites, half a dozen Painted Ladies in varying condition and a rather tatty Red Admiral.
Painted Lady - Durlston 03.09.2019
Painted Lady - Durlston 03.09.2019
Painted Lady basking on wall by the buddleia - Durlston 03.09.2019
Painted Lady basking on wall by the buddleia - Durlston 03.09.2019
We then took the path through the woodland where we saw a few Speckled Wood flitting about in sunny spots between the trees. Coming out onto the main path we then followed it down towards the lighthouse. Once out on the open areas we noticed the cool blustery wind which was once again blowing although with increasing sunny spells it was warming up nicely. It was noticeable how dry the meadows areas looked and whether it was due to this, or the wind, or indeed a combination of both, it was very quiet along this stretch with only a few Small Whites, Meadow Browns and Small Heaths to be seen.
Jane carried on slowly towards the lighthouse while I detoured down the gully for a look. In the more sheltered spots I found higher numbers of Meadow Browns and Small Heaths plus a few Common Blues. There were also Adonis Blues which varied in condition from well worn to quite fresh looking, but I reckon I saw no more than a dozen at most, well down on the numbers I have seen here in some previous years.
Adonis Blue female - Durlston 03.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Durlston 03.09.2019
Adonis Blue - Durlston 03.09.2019
I then went back up to Jane and we retraced our steps back to the visitor centre where we found a couple of Large Whites had joined their smaller cousins on the buddleia. These were the first Large Whites we had seen down in Dorset so far, all other whites being Smalls of which there were increasing numbers everywhere.
Large White - Durlston 03.09.2019
Large White - Durlston 03.09.2019
There was also a better Condition Red Admiral which had replaced the tatty one seen earlier.
Red Admiral - Durlston 03.09.2019
Red Admiral - Durlston 03.09.2019
Overall numbers of Butterflies were down at Durlston compared to what I would have seen here a few years ago in early September, especially in the open meadow areas. I didn’t find any late Lulworth Skippers but I haven’t seen any of these still flying into September now for a few years (2015 was the last time) and looking at how dry it was I didn’t expect any this time.

We left Durlston and drove around to the lay-by at Ulwell so that I could have a quick look up on Ballard down. I only wandered a short way along the path here and saw all the usual suspects for here, that is Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Common Blue and Adonis Blue, but none of them in large numbers.
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Common Blue female - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Common Blue female - Ballard Down 03.09.2019

Small Copper - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Brown Argus - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Most of the Adonis here were looking quite worn and I believe that this is an earlier site for these than those around Lulworth and at Osmington.

I also saw a couple of large Wasp Spiders, one of which had caught itself a Small Heath. A gruesome image but one which shows the size of these impressive spiders.
Wasp Spider with Small Heath - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Wasp Spider with Small Heath - Ballard Down 03.09.2019
Ballard Down appeared to have been heavily grazed in some recent years and I was interested to note that parts were roped off, apparently to prevent the ponies I saw there wandering about at will.

We then moved on again heading for RSPB Arne but stopped off first at the viewpoint lay-by on the B3351 with its views over Poole Harbour and where we were tempted by an ice cream from the van parked there.
Arriving at Arne, we stopped by the visitor centre as Jane has a Blue Badge which means that we can pick up a permit that allows us to drive further into the reserve to a disabled parking area. From this parking spot there is an easier access path through some nice woodland to a hide overlooking some reed beds and Pool Harbour.

Walking through the woods we spotted several Speckled Woods and some more Small Whites plus at least one Large White.
Large White female - Arne 03.09.2019
Large White female - Arne 03.09.2019
From the hide we could see a number of birds out in the pools between the reeds including Little Egrets, Oystercatchers, Redshanks and a couple of Curlews.
Curlew - Arne 03.09.2019
Curlew - Arne 03.09.2019
After half an hour or so in the hide we circled back around the path to the car and made a move back to our B&B.

Another enjoyable day despite the fact that both Durlston and Ballard Down were not as good as they used to be for butterflies. I think that this has much to do with recent dry summers as Durlston in particular has been looking very parched when I have visited in early September over the past couple of years.
Still, there were some nice butterflies to be found with many of them still looking quite fresh.

To be continued…

Neil.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I love your Adonis Blue pictures and the fresh Painted Ladies. Strangely I am still only seeing very worn Painted Ladies, although I am receiving reports of fresh new ones.
The Wasp Spider is interesting. We used to find enormous spiders like that in the south of France. I wonder if they were the same species.
At least it allowed you an open-wing picture of the Small Heath!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

IHi! Neil, I see you got your Humming Bird Hawk shots :lol: They really are fantastic aren't they :D Your Adonis shots are super, I didn't realise the Female Adonis was so dark, she may not look like the Male but she seems to have her own beauty in your shots :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

NickMorgan wrote:I love your Adonis Blue pictures and the fresh Painted Ladies. Strangely I am still only seeing very worn Painted Ladies, although I am receiving reports of fresh new ones.
The Wasp Spider is interesting. We used to find enormous spiders like that in the south of France. I wonder if they were the same species.
At least it allowed you an open-wing picture of the Small Heath!
Thanks Nick. I saw plenty of worn Painted Ladies too.

I understand that Wasp Spiders are a recent arrival to the UK from the continent and can now be found across the southern counties. It may well be the same species you saw in France. Yes, I was thinking that about the Small Heath myself.
Goldie M wrote:IHi! Neil, I see you got your Humming Bird Hawk shots :lol: They really are fantastic aren't they :D Your Adonis shots are super, I didn't realise the Female Adonis was so dark, she may not look like the Male but she seems to have her own beauty in your shots :D Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie. Yes, the female Adonis has a more subtle beauty of her own.

Dorset part 4 – Wednesday 4th September.

The weather forecast for Wednesday looked to be similar to the previous day, that is a cloudy start followed by some good sunny spells but with a continuing persistent wind. After breakfast we decided to head for Weymouth first so that Jane could have another wander around some shops (good for keeping the brownie points topped up).
By mid-morning it was warming up nicely again so we headed to Osmington where we turned off and parked up at the end of the lane by where the bridleway continues up towards White Horse Hill.

I started off along the first part of the bridleway which is lined by trees seeing three or four Speckled Woods and a raggedy looking Comma. Coming out onto the open stretch, I spotted a number of Small Whites and a female Green-veined White, the first of only two GVWs I would see in Dorset, both here at Osmington.
Green-veined White - Osmington 04.09.2019
Green-veined White - Osmington 04.09.2019
The ever-present wind was not too bad on the lower part of the path but as I went further along and higher up it became quite a blow whistling across the hillside. I spotted Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and Adonis Blues but they were either whisked away in the wind or settling low down in the grass. I decided therefore to concentrate on the lower area around where the path takes a left turn and goes diagonally up across the hillside and where there are some sheltered spots provided by trees and shrubs.

I spent a good hour and a half here and ended up seeing some nice fresh male Adonis Blues, maybe 25-30 all told, not as many as I have seen here in the past but that was in less windy conditions when they were spread all over the hillside. Also, I only saw a few females here this time which, along with the fresh males, makes me think that numbers were yet to peak here.
Adonis Blue - Osmington 04.09.2019
Osmington has consistently provided me with a Clouded Yellow or two at this time of year and I was pleased to see that it didn’t let me down. One came flying past me and as I watched it fly back and forth across the hillside a cloud covered the sun and it went down. I approached carefully and managed a couple of shots before it was off again. Luckily, it went down again just a few yards away and I managed to creep up on it again before the sun came back out and it took to the air again.
Clouded Yellow - Osmington 04.09.2019
All the usual other species were present with a few Common Blues and a couple each of Brown Argus and Small Coppers as well as loads of Small Whites and another Green-veined White.
Small Copper -  Osmington 04.09.2019
Small Copper - Osmington 04.09.2019
Common Blue female -  Osmington 04.09.2019
Common Blue female - Osmington 04.09.2019
I have seen late Marbled Whites into early September at both Durdle Door and Bindon Hill in previous years but never this late at Osmington. It was a bit of a surprise therefore to find three examples here, two of which were definitely on their last legs but one which was still in fairly good condition.
Marbled White -  Osmington 04.09.2019
Marbled White - Osmington 04.09.2019
A couple of Red Admirals were chasing each other around a patch of shrubs, one of which had particularly bold white spots in the red bands on its forewings – ab. bialbata I believe, although I tend to think of these as within normal variation given how many I see.
Red Admiral -  Osmington 04.09.2019
Red Admiral - Osmington 04.09.2019
As with the Clouded Yellow, the intermittent cloud worked in my favour when I spotted a Hummingbird Hawk Moth flitting about on the hillside. As I was watching it, a cloud came over and the HBHM dropped down and settled just a few feet in front of me. It didn’t stay down for long though, as soon as the sun came back out it was off like a little rocket.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth -  Osmington 04.09.2019
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Osmington 04.09.2019
Osmington is still one of my favourite sites in the area and even with the cool wind and clouds today it produced a nice selection of butterflies.

Before we left Osmington we called in at Craig’s Dairy Farm for a Cream Tea…keeping those brownie points topped up again :wink: .

We then carried on to Durdle Door where I was keen to see if there was anything on the grassy slopes above the famous rock arch. We pulled into the car park and Jane set up on the grass with a book and a garden chair that we always carry with us in the car, while I had a wander along one of the grassy paths down and across the slope.

I soon saw the usual Meadow Browns and Small Heaths being whisked about on the exposed hillside and coming down to the lower slopes I spotted a few Adonis Blues, Small Coppers and Brown Argus. The male Adonis here tended to be a bit more worn around the fringes than those at Osmington and there were also a few more females around.
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 04.09.2019

Small Copper - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
I also saw a few Graylings but they kept settling low down and I only managed some ropey record shots with grass stems in the way.
Grayling - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Grayling - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Durdle Door is another site that has often provided a Clouded Yellow and once again it didn’t let me down. I spotted one circling around the depression in the slope just above the archway and, as at Osmington, a passing cloud slowed it down and I spotted where It settled.
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
We were going to pop around to Lulworth Cove whilst we were there but the cloud thickened up and it came over quite grey plus by now it was getting late in the afternoon so we decided to make a move back to the B&B.

Another cracking day with a good selection of butterflies despite the persistent wind.

To be continued…

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm really enjoying your reports Neil, cracking photos and it's great reading about so many familiar places :D It seems that the Lulworth has shifted to an earlier start and finish over the last couple of years - a taste of things to come? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It seems that out posts crossed Neil :D Even better butterflies this time; those Adonis are electrifying and the Cloudies are brill - the Durdle Door Cloudy is a peach :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Interesting to read you report on Durlston as I was there about 2 weeks previously and came to much the same conclusion. I think you may actually have seen more butterflies than me in fact, and most of the Painted Ladies I saw were very much past their sell by date.

I also agree with your opinion about the Red Admiral ab. biolbata, I too don't bother counting it as an abberation for the same reason.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have very much enjoyed your Dorset coast adventures and photos, Neil - seeing Marbled Whites in September always seems bizarre to me, but they do hang on late in those parts. It must be a protracted emergence (as with their cousins the Meadow Brown) as they are certainly out in June too. It's probably my favourite part of the country. Durlston seemed very dry to me even back when I visited at the end of June: I don't think there has been all that much rain since to allow it to recover, and there's next to nothing in the current forecast. Let's hope the winter evens things out enough to help the vegetation (and butterflies) to recover.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely stuff in your last couple of posts, Neil, especially the Whites - the Large White is a stunner and the Green Veined is beautifully marked....but a September Marbled White? That's not something I expected to see.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neill, I've loved your Dorset adventures and envy your Clouded Yellow and those lovely Adonis Blue :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
I must try to get there next year. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:It seems that out posts crossed Neil :D Even better butterflies this time; those Adonis are electrifying and the Cloudies are brill - the Durdle Door Cloudy is a peach ...Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, for both your comments. I wonder if all the Lulworth colony fight times are shifting or if the Durlston ones are falling more in line with the earlier (as at Lulworth Cove itself) colonies?
bugboy wrote:...Interesting to read you report on Durlston as I was there about 2 weeks previously and came to much the same conclusion. I think you may actually have seen more butterflies than me in fact, and most of the Painted Ladies I saw were very much past their sell by date...
Thanks Bugboy. I have found in previous visits to this part of Dorset that the last few days of August into the first week of September can usually be productive which is why I time our visits for around then. Curiously, I have also found that the 'official' reserves like Durlston and Ballard Down have not been as good as areas such as Osmington which is essentially just a bridle path across farmland.
millerd wrote:I have very much enjoyed your Dorset coast adventures and photos, Neil - seeing Marbled Whites in September always seems bizarre to me, but they do hang on late in those parts. It must be a protracted emergence (as with their cousins the Meadow Brown) as they are certainly out in June too...
Thanks Dave. I agree that it is more likely to be a protracted emergence of the Marbled Whites like the Meadow Browns as I have also seen plenty out in June before now. The Meadow Browns themselves were still flying in good numbers down there with plenty of fresh looking males still about.
David M wrote:Some lovely stuff in your last couple of posts, Neil, especially the Whites - the Large White is a stunner and the Green Veined is beautifully marked....but a September Marbled White? That's not something I expected to see.
Thanks David. You may remember I have seen late Marbled whites down there before and posted photos in previous reports. There was a bit of discussion in this PD last year - page 130 viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=2580 - scroll down to near the bottom of the page.
Goldie M wrote:Hi! Neill, I've loved your Dorset adventures and envy your Clouded Yellow and those lovely Adonis Blue :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
I must try to get there next year. Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, It is one of my favourite parts of the country, particularly the Purbeck coast between Weymouth and Swanage.

Dorset part 5 – Thursday 5th September.

As we had not made it to Lulworth Cove the previous day, we decided to pay a visit on Thursday morning. The short cut over the ranges was closed with weekday live firing having resumed for the autumn period on September 1st so we went cross country via Steeple, West Holme and East Lulworth which is a slower but nicer route than going around the main drag.
We arrived at Lulworth cove just after 10.00am, parked in the main car park and wandered down to the beach. The blustery wind of the previous days had dropped a bit and it was a pleasant morning with plenty of blue sky and big fluffy white clouds slowly drifting across the sky.

The many clumps of red valerian growing out of the walls on the way down to the beach were playing host to loads of Small Whites, a few Large Whites and a couple of Painted Ladies.
Painted Lady - Lulworth Cove 05.09.2019
Painted Lady - Lulworth Cove 05.09.2019
At least two different Humming bird Hawk Moths were seen on separate clumps of valerian. I was pleased with the HBHM shots I had taken at Worth Matravers on Monday but was even more chuffed with some of the shots I managed today.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Lulworth Cove 05.09.2019
Of course, being at Lulworth Cove, I was keen to have a look up on Bindon Hill and so after we had a coffee, Jane set up on the beach with her chair and a book and I walked back up past the car park towards the entrance up to the hill.
On the way I noticed there were quite a few dead leaves being blown about by the path and there seemed to be something a bit different about one leaf that blew across in front of me. It came to rest at the side of the path and a closer look revealed it was in fact a female Wall Brown.
Wall Brown - Lulworth Cove 05.09.2019
Wall Brown - Lulworth Cove 05.09.2019
I then carried on up the road and turned onto the hill at the entrance by the B&Bs opposite the turn off for Durdle Door.

I figured that the breeze would be more in evidence up on the hill and that did indeed prove to be the case, but it was still not as blustery as the previous couple of days had been. I spent about an hour up there and saw the expected Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, Adonis and Common Blues, Brown Argus and Small Coppers.
Adonis Blue - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
Common Blue - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
Common Blue - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
Small Copper - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
One particular female Small Copper was a lovely pale golden orange colour and quite fresh too so it wasn't the result of fading.
There were also a handful of Chalk Hill Blues still flying, a couple of really tatty males and a few worn and faded females.
Chalk Hill Blue female - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
Chalk Hill Blue female - Bindon Hill 05.09.2019
Also seen were plenty of Small Whites, a few Large Whites and one each of Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell.

I then went back to meet Jane and on the way saw another HBHM on some valerian by the cottages opposite the entrance to the car park.

We left Lulworth and headed back to Corfe Castle. In all the previous times we have come down to this part of Dorset we have passed through Corfe Castle on numerous occasions but never actually stopped there. We decided to put this right and instead of parking in the NT car park we turned off for the car park down West Street where we found far more room. Jane went to have a wander around the square and look at the gift shops whilst I went over a public footpath towards West Hill where I climbed the steep steps to look down on the castle

I then came back down the hill and turned along the lower slope to see what I could find. As usual Meadow Browns and Small Heaths were around in good numbers and this seemed to be a good spot for Small Coppers with at least half a dozen seen along a stretch of a couple of hundred yards.
Lower slope of West Hill at Corfe Castle 05.09.2019
Lower slope of West Hill at Corfe Castle 05.09.2019
Small Copper - Corfe Castle 05.09.2019
There were a few Common Blues were along this stretch and I was keeping an eye out for the brighter colour of Adonis Blues when I spotted one a bit higher up the slopes. Before I could get close it flew further up where I lost it but almost immediately spotted another one a bit further along.
In the end I saw four or five males, all looking a bit worse for wear, and a couple of fresher looking females. These were all a bit lively and I couldn't get close enough, not that I tried too hard as I had already taken a load of decent photos of Adonis Blues over the past few days.

I then went back across the footpath to the car park, seeing a few Speckled Wood and a single Comma along the hedgerows. There was also a deer that watched me carefully until it figured I had got too close and made a run for it.
That's as close as you're getting - Corfe Castle 05.09.2019
That's as close as you're getting - Corfe Castle 05.09.2019
A final shot of the castle in the afternoon sun, taken from by West Street car park 05.09.019
A final shot of the castle in the afternoon sun, taken from by West Street car park 05.09.019
That is the last report from our trip to Dorset.
We were leaving for home in the morning (Friday) and seeing the forecast for dull cloud and showers we decided to make a move straight home after breakfast.

In total, numbers of some butterfly species were not as high as I have seen in some previous years, but I reckon the recent dry summers can partly account for this. It was also quite breezy on most days and on the more exposed sites I would not be surprised if some were simply keeping their heads down out of the wind.
On the other hand, including the stop at Fontmell Down on the previous Sunday, a total of 20 species were seen which is not bad for early September. Also, there were plenty of Painted Ladies still hanging around and Small Whites were appearing everywhere in large numbers, plus the Hummingbird Hawk Moths of which I reckon I saw at least half a dozen.

All in all, another cracking few days spent in one of my favourite parts of the country :D

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking report Neil I'm just sorry that it's the last in the series - but a fitting finale with brilliantly captured HHM, blazing blues and Coppers including a less garish than usual individual :D 8) :mrgreen: Cracking! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent reportage, Neil-up there with your usual standard! I’m pleased you found your way to Fontmell Down for the first time, as it is a great site. Round the back, at the far end from the airfield, there are usually lots of autumn ladies tresses as well.

I’m particularly impressed with your Adonis pictures, and your ability to get all the wings in focus-something I struggle to do. You certainly seem to have had good weather overall, if not quite so good as other years. You are right about the Friday, we arrived to an overcast and damp day. Love your hummingbird hawk moth pictures, something were hoping to see, but failed to find.

Cheers.
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely species in that last post, Neil, but that sequence of images of the Hummingbird Hawkmoth is almost peerless. How on earth did you manage that?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Another cracking report Neil I'm just sorry that it's the last in the series - but a fitting finale with brilliantly captured HHM, blazing blues and Coppers including a less garish than usual individual :D 8) :mrgreen: Cracking! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel. The days down there passed all too quickly.
essexbuzzard wrote:Excellent reportage, Neil-up there with your usual standard! I’m pleased you found your way to Fontmell Down for the first time, as it is a great site. Round the back, at the far end from the airfield, there are usually lots of autumn ladies tresses as well.

I’m particularly impressed with your Adonis pictures, and your ability to get all the wings in focus-something I struggle to do. You certainly seem to have had good weather overall, if not quite so good as other years. You are right about the Friday, we arrived to an overcast and damp day. Love your hummingbird hawk moth pictures, something were hoping to see, but failed to find.

Cheers.
Thanks Mark. As we were leaving I wondered if you were still heading down there. Having just seen your PD, now I know, glad you saw some nice butterflies.
David M wrote:Some lovely species in that last post, Neil, but that sequence of images of the Hummingbird Hawkmoth is almost peerless. How on earth did you manage that?
Thanks David, too be honest I think there was a lot of luck involved. I put the D3400 on sports mode and just clicked away.

After the comments from myself, Bugboy and Dave about how dry Durlston looked, I had a look back through my photos from previous years and found the two below, both taken looking up The Gully, which show quite a difference.

The first one was taken at the beginning of September 2015, which was also the last time I saw Lulworth Skippers into September st Durlston.
Looking up The Gully at Durlston - 01.09.2015
Looking up The Gully at Durlston - 01.09.2015
The second one was taken from a similar viewpoint in 2018. It was looking the same this year.
A much drier Gully - 05.09.2018
A much drier Gully - 05.09.2018
Saturday 14th September.

I was going to pop out to one of my local spots on Saturday afternoon but an improptu visit by our daughter and grand-daughter changed my plans. We walked down to the local park where I managed to have a quick look around the bit of rough ground to one side.
Lots of Small Whites were flying about plus a couple of Speckled Wood and singles of Red Admiral and Painted Lady, none of which stayed still long enough for a photo.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crikey that is a hell of a difference Neil :shock: Mind you if the habitat is drying up earlier in the year then the Lulworth Skipper could be better at dealing with it than some other species due to it's elongated and protracted flight period, fingers crossed :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”