Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Andrew555

Post by Wurzel »

I can only add to the other comments how cracking the level of detail on that PE wing shot :shock: :D :mrgreen: As Bugboy says too, nice PE ab :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - It would be difficult to get a closer shot than that you took of the PE without using an Electron Microscope! :lol:
Wonderfully crisp too.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Superb images, Andrew, and as others have said, that close up of the Emperor's hindwing is notably stunning.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I love the close-up too, Andrew - the white looks as if it's been carefully painted on. The clarity is superb. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Mark. I see you got your sap run shots, and a beautiful Empress. :mrgreen: :D Cheers.

Many thanks Bugboy, Wurzel, Ernie, David and Dave. :D Cheers all.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I'm in Dorset at the moment, so Portland visits are obligatory. Here are some Graylings from the past week, all seen at Tout Quarry.
1.jpg
They would spring up to challenge each other, and anything flying that passed by. Before landing again on the path, boulders or rock face.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
The Buddleia's were well visited, very handy for pics.

*edit* I sent the one below to British Butterfly Aberrations who replied, ' Yes it is actually quite an uncommon ab. of the Grayling with the extra small dot ab. tripuncta. I notice the extra one is very close to the main spot at the apex. so it could possibly be a new form. Nonetheless it is a very good find and thanks for sending me the photo. Without the actual specimen, it would be hard to define.'
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
A joy to be on Portland again. :D

Cheers
Last edited by Andrew555 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Grayling shots, Andrew. All with a nice clear backdrop. :mrgreen:
The local Graylings on Windover hill use Rabbit scrapes surrounded by grass.
Decent shots are hard to get.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Graylings Andrew including the ab :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That looks like a perfect site to see them because 1 - as Trevor says there are no obstructions and 2 - it's in Dorset :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some really lovely Grayling images there Andrew and well done with that ab - great find :D :mrgreen:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Trevor, yes I think I've been a bit spoilt with Portland Graylings! :D

Cheers Wurzel, highly recommended. :D

Thanks a lot Pauline. An ab is always a nice bonus. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

There are lots of Chalkhill Blues on Portland at the moment, and it's all very hectic in the hot weather. So early morning or evening viewing is best, I'm an early riser anyway so I chose the morning, catch 'em as they're waking up!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fabulous Chalkhills Andrew :D :mrgreen: I saw my first for 2018 this afternoon but they refused to open up for like those one did, again proving how much better behaved Dorset butterflies are :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images of the Graylings and Chalkhill Blues, Andrew. I always find it amusing to see Graylings nectaring avidly from buddleia....it seems they are almost unique as most other satyrids tend not to frequent this shrub, apart from the occasional Meadow Brown.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel, nice one. Maybe! :lol: :D

Thanks David. There are a lot of Buddleia on Portland and I did see the occasional Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Marbled White on them as well. Cheers :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Some other sightings from Portland.

Found alongside the Chalkhills, a nicely marked female Meadow Brown, Marbled White and Small Copper.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
A Hummingbird Hawk-moth, saw a few of these.
4.jpg
Portland always seems good for Painted Ladies.
5.jpg
6.jpg
Lots of Whites are on the wing, a Large here.
7.jpg
I also saw a Clouded Yellow twice, on different days in the same area, flyby's only so no pics. I got up early one day to try and find it warming up, no joy. :( :D

Cheers

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gorgeous Chalkhills Andrew, not to mention everything else on your recent trip to Portland :) :mrgreen: :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic crisp images Andrew :D :mrgreen: The Marbled White almost jumps out of the screen :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Some superb images in your latest sequences, Andrew. I particularly like the Graylings on buddleia, although the Marbled White and the beautifully marked female Meadow Brown are noteworthy too.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - Its the Hummingbird Hawkmoth pic for me. Its really difficult to get a shot of these and you have nailed it.

Cheers,

Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great series of reports and photos from Portland Andrew, love the Chalkhills, and the Marbled White, and that Meadow Brown, and the Hummingbird Hawk Moth.

Great stuff :mrgreen: :D

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”