Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots as always Bugboy :D Intersting info about the minor Ringlet ab, I need to make a few corrections to some of my labelling :D Great work with the Large Whites they normally only settled down and pose when they're all worn and tired looking :D Quite stunning when fresh 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pm...My highlight for the day though was one of a couple Large White who was surprisingly approachable and sat at the perfect height on the edge of a bramble patch for quite some time
Perfect height and perfectly captured, Paul. That's a real beauty. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comments guys :)

July 2020
Sunday 12th.
Time for another expedition outside the confines of the M25, this time to see if any Grayling had emerged at Chobham. To be honest I wasn’t expecting to come across any since Chobham seems to be a late site for everything that occurs there. The other target was Silver-studded Blues which are always still on the wing when the first Grayling are out there and there’s always the chance of a late emerging fresh female.

As always, the Large Skippers are late here, almost all that were seen were fresh males and for the first hour or so they were the only butterflies seen.
IMG_0031.JPG
I made my way to a patch of high ground where the first male Graylings can invariably be found, bouncing around. Unsurprisingly none were around but my searching did turn up a handful of worn male Silver-studded Blue so not a completely wasted trip :) .
IMG_0081.JPG
As I searched further a couple of females were also found lurking, one of whom was in tip top condition and was at the front of the queue when studs were being handed out. When she opened up the oily sheen was a further indication just how recently she had emerged.
IMG_0144.JPG
F SsB.JPG
Finding a fresh female wasn’t overly unexpected, it isn’t the first time I’ve found one in the middle of July here, but I’ve never found a fresh male so late…
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
I spent quite a bit of time with this chap, I didn’t think I’d being seeing one so fresh until next year!

I was just about to leave this area when something large and dark leapt from some heather in front of me and bounced through the air up and down the path, before settling on a Birch trunk. I managed to creep around the tree and had a perfectly lined up shot when a dog walker burst out from a secluded side path leading to many curse words aimed in his general direction under my breath as I smiled politely at him, how very British.
Thankfully the Grayling bounced back onto his tree and I managed a couple of shots before joyously bouncing off over the Heather.
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
A few other noteworthy finds was a striking Red Poplar Leaf Beetle and an unusual sight of a Water Boatman out of the water. I suspect the water Boatman's life will be cut rather short though since it looks to have a crinkled wing. This means it probably won’t be able to trap a bubble of air under them so will never be able to feed.
Chobham.JPG
The bird spot of the day was a Wood Lark, an odd name for a bird that prefers open Heath land sparsely populated with trees.
IMG_0443.JPG
The day had warmed up considerably by mid afternoon and heath land isn’t known for its shade so I tried to leave, only to find myself in clouds of black ants conducting (and probably consummating) their nuptials. I’d bet a fair whack that these are the very ants that help keep the Silver-studded Blues here in healthy numbers, possibly Lasius psammophilus.
ants.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Always good when a plan comes to fruition, Paul.

Strange how some sites are traditionally either late or early. I do wonder what causes that. For instance, why do Green Hairstreaks in parts of northern England emerge before those in south Wales, which is relatively mild during the winter and early spring? :shock:
millerd

Post by millerd »

Chobham Common is very open and exposed, especially up on that hill where both the SSB and Grayling are found. That may account for their slightly later emergence, though why the Large Skippers follow suit when most of those live lower down... A mystery. A very nice pair of SSB you saw as well, clearly hanging around till you came along. :) And that is such a typical Grayling shot, creeping round a tree trunk (though trouser legs make a good substitute... :) ).

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a surprisingly fresh Silver-stud Bugboy cracking shots one and all :D It's great when a plan comes together and picking up two First For the Year on a single trip :D 8) It's great to see a Woodlark - if I recall they get the Wood bit as they have a habit of using trees a look out posts and song posts (a bit like the Tree Pipit) :D

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David, I guess it must be something in the local micro-climate. It's interesting that Grayling up as far north as Arnside Knott are a good few weeks earlier than those 'local' to me. That northern site probably benefits from being coastal and close enough to be getting significant help from the Gulf Stream.
Thanks Dave, I agree, it is very exposed on these surrey heaths. I keep meaning to look on UKBMS to see if someone does a transect there to see what else is late there.
Thanks Wurzel, yup even more more so in a year like this one where I wasn't sure I'd be able to see either of these two plus several others that have now made it onto my yearly list :)

July 2020
Monday 13th: Aberration day at Bookham.
There was an awful lot to point my camera at today, not least the dozens of Purple Hairstreak that were showering out of the trees in every sunny glade. It started off well whilst browsing Blackthorn for an early Brown Hairstreak, a Small Copper presented himself. I’ve seen precious few of these so far this year so he did distract me for a while.
IMG_0027.JPG
Obviously there were no Brown Hairstreaks, I don’t think Bookham is as early as some of those Sussex sites. At various points along the way through the open scrubby areas Peacocks showed up, all looking as fresh as the ones I’d reared as well as the odd Hairstreak playing hard to get.
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
Once in the wood I made my way to one of the best glades for butterflies which as usual was bustling with wings of all colours. Purple Hairstreaks regularly descended to flit low over the grass and bracken, occasionally threatening to settle in the perfect place for a picture before going into the long grass looking for moisture.

A couple of the Silver-washed Fritillary here were minor abs. the first one who was a little light on the black scaling behaved himself but the second who I think qualifies as a ab. confluens refused to settle anywhere useful and spent most his time chasing anything orange :roll: .
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG
There was also a rather eye catching Meadow Brown, not only did she have an extra spot under the main ocelli, which in itself was a double pupil, one of the hindwing ocelli was also pupiled, something I’ve never seen before. Her uppers were completely normal though.
IMG_0277.JPG
Whilst chasing one of these abs. I managed to (for once) not disturb a perfectly posed female Purple Hairstreak, they give a Purple Emperor a run for his money any day of the week in my book 8) !
IMG_0310.JPG
Ab. number four of the day came in the form of this rather dark Speckled Wood, ab. kulczynskii if I’m not mistaken.
IMG_0355.JPG
At another favoured glade much the same collection of species jostled for attention but pick of the bunch was a White Admiral ab. obliterate, shame I didn’t catch him a week or so earlier.
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG
All the while, there was hardly a break from the Hairstreaks literally cascading from the treetops.
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
I stopped off to check on a White Admiral larvae I’d found on my last visit. I didn’t notice it’s days are numbered until I got home and looked at the pictures properly, seeing an egg or newly hatched larvae of what I presume is some sort of parasitoid.
IMG_0464 mag.JPG
A Ringlet, provided another ab. although she refused to show me her better side but I think ab. marpurgensis.
IMG_0510.JPG
Stopping off at one of the Emperor master trees I got a few bemused looks as I stared upwards but after a few minutes a familiar shape glided gracefully in and settled up high, the only Emperor I’d seen here this year.
IMG_0555.JPG
The ab. bonanza hadn’t quite finished though, I found another female Meadow Brown who this time had a much reduced upper forewing ocelli, ab. antiparvipuncta. Interesting that the underside seemed normal.
IMG_0599.JPG
The final find was a first for me, a wild Orange-tip pupae, a good end to an excellent day out :D
IMG_0639.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

My goodness, that was a full day, Buggy. the post was so full of abs that when I read "ab bonanza", I really thought it must be yet another one, some new and bizarre variety of Silver-washed Fritillary perhaps... :) :wink: Bookham has really been quite a site (a sight too) this year so far. However, out of all that splendid array of sightings, I would single out the Orange Tip pupa, something I look for every year in likely spots but with a consistent lack of success. Great spot. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Bugboy it looks like you had an Aurelian's dream day Bugboy - such variation in such a short space of time is dizzying :D 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That sure was a productive day, Paul. That female Purple Hairstreak is to die for; I think I'd opt for that rather than a grounded Emperor in all honesty. Dazzling.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for all the comments guys, it was a rather good day :D

July 2020
Tuesday 14th
. I went east today hoping to find some Walls. Late last year a random female Wall turned up on Two Tree Island and since they are resident on nearby Canvey Island it’s a reasonable presumption that more might be around this year. The south facing coastal paths here have also proved good hunting grounds for Clouded Yellows in the past plus I know of several patches of BLEP so you never know what might turn up :wink: .

I decided to start of at Hadleigh Country Park, secretly hoping for an old tatty WLH to grace me with an appearance but I've very much missed their party this year. Carrying on, sticking to the long path that heads west below the castle ruins, Small Whites were by far the commonest butterfly in the warm, overcast cnditions. SmEssex Skippers, a few new Gatekeepers, aged Meadow Browns and the odd Large White adding a bit of variety but there was a distinct lack of Clouded Yellows. Walking along it dawned on me how Wall friendly the path was, well-trodden, sun-baked, and edged with rough grassy banks with numerous shallow hollows. However I didn’t come across any Walls as I walked along, although a Comma did require a second glance when it settled in front of me.
IMG_0033-tile.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
I managed to get as far as the castle before turning round to go and explore Two Tree Island, joined by the same set of butterflies (lets face it, probably the same individuals). Half way back I just caught sight of something settling on the path behind me, the mearest fleeting of glimpses, but I couldn’t quite place what it was, perhaps a Small Tortoiseshell but as I approached a perfect male Wall coalesced onto my retina. It would seem that it wasn’t just me that thought this path was a suitable home for them. The bright overcast conditions worked in my favour and I was able to get up close and for once the noise of lens focusing and shatter going off didn’t seem to bother him too much.
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
I stayed with him for 10 minutes or so only to come across another a little further down the path. This one equally as fresh but of the female persuasion. Once again close up views were relatively easy to come by and even better, she had decided this path would be a perfect place for her babies. I watched her lay several eggs frustratingly obscured by grasses when she decided a single flimsy isolated blade would be a good spot and she suddenly found herself laying on her side, heroically clutching the grass as she deposited the egg.
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
I didn’t find anymore but it’ll be worth searching here in late summer for third brood adults from the looks of things.

On Two Tree Island there was no sign of any Walls but a large Buddleja was being sucked dry by hoards of Peacock, Red Admiral, Commas and various Whites.
TTI.JPG
Down on the edge of the saltmarsh several Whites were taking up salts
IMG_0376.JPG
Whilst elsewhere I found my first female Gatekeeper of the year, a tatty female Red Admiral was busy laying eggs like she knew her days were numbered and an exceptionally tame juvenile Robin sat for me, proudly showing off the beginnings of his/her red breast :) .
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've earned a mrgreen for that female Wall Brown, Paul. :mrgreen:
What a beauty!. I managed to find some more ' relaxed ' Walls on a warm
cloudy morning last week. Sometimes I managed two shots before they were off.

It would be interesting to know what the ratio of males to females is in a colony.
Certainly the females are more elusive, and are often found a good distance away
from the patrolling males, probably once mated further male attention is not welcome,
so they deliberately keep out of their way.

Keep well,
Trevor
kevling

Post by kevling »

Hi Buggie,

Just catching up with diaries and I'm green with envy at yours. It's been 'ab' central for you and they are all lovely, especially the Speckled Wood. I was lucky to see a SWF confluens last year and they are special.
Have visited Hadleigh CP a few times during WLH season and not encountered Walls. I think I may have visited in between broods. Nice to know they are there though.
Finally well done on your Orange tip pupa. That must be the Holy Grail of finds.

Kind Regards
Kev
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I do enjoy your bird photography Paul (especially those Woodpeckers) but that young Robin is charming - I'm assuming you'll be making your own Christmas cards this year :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Walls Bugboy :D :mrgreen: The female certainly made ovipositing look like hard work :shock: :lol:

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Ah, just seen your Walls, open wing, closed wing and ajar wing. Most envious since I have only ever seen and pictured a single individual in my entire life and that was so long ago I didn't even know what I was taking a picture of. Way before I had any interest in butterflies.
Ernie F
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Trevor, I find the males at the Sussex sites I visit indulge in hill topping, certainly at High and Over and Mill Hill the males are invariably found lurking along the top and the females spread themselves out to go about laying eggs. As far as I can tell the Walls at Hadleigh seem to be very newly arrived on the scene so it maybe a couple of seasons before some sort of pattern develops whilst numbers build to a plateau of what the site can hold. In theory any colony should have a 50/50 ratio or thereabouts but females of a lot of species tend to be a lot more elusive.
Thanks Kev, I hadn't encountered the Walls there until this year so I think they've very recently arrived. Yes I was very chuffed to find that Pupae although it did make it easy by being green and pupating on the stem it had fed on as a larvae :) !
Thanks Pauline, I was with that Robin for a good 10 minutes so I have lots of images to choose from :lol:
Thanks Wurzel, I think she was a gymnast in a past life :lol:
Thanks Ernie, you'll have to have a word with Pauline, I'm sure she knows where your nearest colony is, try for an overcast day or at least some form of cloud cover, in clear blue skies they're a nightmare to get close to!

July 2020
Thursday 16th.
I planned to meet up with a friend for a socially distanced afternoon wander around Walthamstow Marshes today, but that was no reason not to bring my camera along with me and I’m glad I did, there was plenty around worthy of my attention. The first sighting was this hutchinsoni Comma who was possibly being eyed up as a potential lunch by a Pisaura mirabilis. Whatever was going through the spiders mind the Comma did safely flutter off so no horrific ended here you’ll be glad to know :) .
IMG_0006.JPG
There wasn’t much in the way of sun for most of the afternoon but it was still warm enough for a bit of life to distract me from my (understanding) friend. An attractive Holly Blue payed me a visit, as dusky as the female I’d reared and photographed a couple of weeks previously, but far to well-conditioned to be her or one of the others I reared.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
When the sun did poke out the temperature rose noticeably and Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and the few remaining Skippers suddenly appeared and became super charged but I managed to pin down a few things during the quieter periods.
IMG_0052-tile.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
We stopped off at the waterworks nature reserve for a bit of birding. The little Grebes I’ve been keeping an eye on here still aren’t showing off any chicks they may have but on the far side of one of the old water treatment beds a pair of Grey Wagtail were busy catching insects to feed some hidden hungry mouths. I watched this one dart off across the water and acrobatically catch a Damselfly.
IMG_0212.JPG
Parting ways with my friend I was able to pay more attention to the many Meadow Browns and found another ab. to add to my burgeoning collection, this one being the ‘blind’ caeca aberration. Her underside did had a tiny pupil.
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
Compared to what seems to be an infinite variety within the Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers seem to be very samey this year, not even a hint of excessa yet.
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

I somehow missed your Essex Walls, Buggy - very nice indeed, and worthy of a :mrgreen: or two. The Holly Blue in the last post is rather nice too. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking looking Meadow Brown Bugboy - it's strange that the absence of the 'pupil' actually makes it stand out more :shock: 8)

Wurzel

ps Brostreaks at Shipton on Saturday? :wink:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Dave, hopefully a strong third brood awaits me come September/October :)
Thanks Wurzel, it looked weird in the flesh too, like someones inked out the pupil. Think I've found a new obsession, another Meadow Brown ab below :)

July 2020
Friday 17th.
I stayed close to home again with another wander round Epping Forest. It was initially meant to just be a few hours but I ended up staying most of the day since I found some new areas to explore, and once again found a few abs.

The first ab was a freshly emerged female Green-veined White with the upperside forewing spots joined making her ab. confluens apparently. Compare it to a nearby normal edition who was equally as irrisistable
ab. confluens
ab. confluens
IMG_0001.JPG
The new areas were some open scrub and fields where skippers and browns abounded but it was this male Common Blue caught my eye though. Even in flight that black spot on the hindwings was visible, possibly ab. nigromaculata although that description states a row rather than a single spot.
IMG_0044.JPG
Also here I found a 6 Banded Clearwing Moth, which is a new one for me, and the first representatives of the next generation of Brown Argus and Small Heath, the Heath being particularly well marked.
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
Back into my more usual woodland glades I came across another Meadow Brown aberration, a male antiparvipuncta with a tiny speck of a forewing ocelli
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
Fresh Brimstones and hutchinsoni Commas could still be found, the former still gorging for hibernation, and a male Small Copper was busy doing a stalk dance, presumably to attract a lady.
epping.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
Of course no visit to an Oak Woodland at this time of year would be complete without oodles of Purple Hairstreak, they popped up pretty much everywhere, probably saw in excess of 50 low down :shock: , god knows how many thousands were in the treetops!
PH.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”