Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull

Re: Trevor

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Lovely shot of the graylings, Trevor, especially on the ones where the forewings are exposed. I've only seen one so far this year!
A nice collection of hairstreaks too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Janet
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on getting all 5 UK Hairstreaks Trevor - great shots too :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I really need to get onto a Black Hairstreak next year...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

WILTSHIRE WALLS.

On my heavily delayed journey to Wiltshire today, I decided to take a quick look at Tilshead.
I arrived with my drivers side window wound right down, only to see a Wall Brown chase, probably
male after female, heading straight for my open window, fortunately they swooped over the car
roof at the last moment!. Heading for the vast grassland I had a quick glance of a pristine female Wall.
These were my first ever sightings of Walls at Tilshead, so something else to watch out for.

At Great Cheverell I had a quick visit to the Church grounds, just after a heavy shower, and located
a male Wall, who allowed one bad shot. So given some decent weather over the next few days I
might be in for a Wall Brown fest!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1380759.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's great news Trevor - I reckon the county recorder would like to know about the Tilshead Walls :D 8) I'm off for Brostreaks tomorrow but I might try and push my luck and get out that way on Tuesday...I'll let you know if I can :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Well done on photographing all five Hairstreaks Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thats one green smiley for each of the ones I have missed :)
I have only managed to photograph Green and Purple this year (and last) I may yet catch up with the Brownies but that is by no means guaranteed in my part of the world.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel & Neil. Have a look at today's fruits, Wurzel.
Better luck next year, Neil. Not sure about Brown H for you but Black H just down M40.

Tilshead early this morning.

I arrived on site to 14c and the Sun struggling to clear the menacing cloud.
This provided an ideal opportunity to photograph roosting Common Blues, including three together.
As the weather warmed I found a few Chalk Hill Blues, the first I've seen at Tilshead, also another
Wall Brown, torn to shreads by a Bird attack.
As usual the place was teaming with butterflies.
Attachments
P1380761.JPG
P1380768.JPG
P1380774.JPG
P1380782.JPG
P1380784.JPG
P1380786.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

Church yard Walls.

Back at Great Cheverell, I went to explore St. Peters church grounds for Wall Browns.
Quite a few were found, varying from very worn to fresh. I suspect there were still
a few Spring brood hanging on, flying with Summer Brood.
One female had obviously performed her duty sometime ago and was just about to expire.

Trevor.
Attachments
Resting on vertical headstone.
Resting on vertical headstone.
P1380811.JPG
Very old female.
Very old female.
P1380807.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Trevor :D and great t see the Walls still holding ground in the Churchyard :D I didn't make it to Shipton (going tomorrow) so spent the morning doing jobs like attic runs and shopping :? :roll: Still I've earnt some Brownie points :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That first male Wall Brown is beautiful, Trevor. Strange that the female that follows is so tatty. Guess she's been at the bramble flowers?
trevor

Post by trevor »

I could afford to spend a little more time exploring the MOD land at Tilshead yesterday,
and discovered another Wall Brown colony. This was on the other side of the road, where
a well used vehicle track is located. Altogether about a dozen males were basking on the
side of the track, and seeing one another off in frequent squabbles, and one individual was
sent packing by the one female I saw.

Given there is a Wall Brown presence at Cotley Hill, Tilshead, and the local Church ,this could
indicate that Walls are doing well on other suitable areas of Salisbury Plain.

Also of note was the sighting of several, fresh Adonis Blues.
Attachments
Female Wall, Tilshead.
Female Wall, Tilshead.
Male Wall, Tilshead.
Male Wall, Tilshead.
P1380840.JPG
P1380875.JPG
P1380834.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Walls Trevor, good to know they're doing ok inland somewhere in the south of the country!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Wall's are great Trevor but I love the Adonis more :D :mrgreen: it's colour really stands out :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

It really does seem as if the Walls are making a bit of comeback in that area, Trevor. Over at Shipton Bellinger with Wurzel yesterday, we saw a good half a dozen or so along various tracks - the Hampshire BC page is quite excited by this development. With so much M.O.D. land in that general area, you do wonder how widespread and numerous they might actually be.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Trevor - especially that first shot it's a cracker! :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The Wall does seem to be doing okay inland in my neck of the woods - last year there was a count of 50+ at Morgans Hill :shock: 8)so it's not always doom and gloom when it comes to butterflies, makes a nice change :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots of the Wall Browns, Trevor, it would be fantastic if they could regain some lost ground :)

Mike.
David M

Post by David M »

I don't know which make me more envious, Trevor - the Walls or the Adonis.

Both species are pristine.

There's clearly life left in the season yet!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks everyone, Salisbury Plain has many hidden secrets, and more suitable sites for Wall Browns.

Before heading for home this morning I popped up to St. Peters Church for a Wall Brown farewell.
No doubt they'll be over by my next visit. About six males were found, and one individual provided
me with the shot I had hoped for, basking on a Lichen covered headstone.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1380882.JPG
P1380878.JPG
P1380888.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great final shots, Trevor - I do like the last one casting its perfect shadow... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That first on the headstone is a corker Trevor - if I can escape Wales some time soon then I might have to put all of my beliefs aside and actually go to church in the near future...well I'll get as far as the churchyard :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I went over to Steyning this morning to look for Brown Hairstreaks.
The weather was not the best, the only useful sun appeared too near the end of their normal time.
I did find one female BH, But had to concede that the butterfly of the day was a fresh, female Meadow Brown.
That just about sums up a poor day!.

It was good to spend time with Andrew555, John Williams and the editor of the Sussex BC sightings page, Jonathan Crawford.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1380903.JPG
Oh Dear!. Poor old girl.
Oh Dear!. Poor old girl.
P1380898.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”