Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Janet. I've never seen so many male Brown Hairstreaks down low before - they're dropping like flies. Bring on the girls!
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More From The Knepp Wildland

The fixed route, timed count survey I performed today (18 July) demonstrates very clearly how the Knepp Wildland project is benefiting the butterflies (and other wildlife) of West Sussex. Of the 24 species recorded, highlights included Purple Emperor (10), Brown Hairstreak (8), Purple Hairstreak (43), Silver-washed Fritillary (2), White Admiral (1) and Clouded Yellow (1).

Most of the emperor action was again centred on oaks which are bleeding sap, as the now exhausted and ragged females take on life-extending nutrients. One of these 'feeder trees' hosted four females and a male at the same time. A few empresses still have a little left in them yet, and retain their regal looks while perched low amongst the oak leaves, while others look ready to make their final flight.

Brown Hairstreak males continue to drop in unprecedented numbers and may be found wherever Creeping Thistle grows close to the Blackthorn-rich hedgerows. Over the last few years the improvements in the Knepp butterfly fauna have accelerated; this place is now fast becoming exceptionally good.
BC Male Brown Hairstreak1, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg
BC Male Brown Hairstreak2, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg
BC Gatekeeper, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg
BC Empress 2, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg
BC Empress 3, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg
BC Empress 1, Knepp 18.7.17.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brian White's Emperor Images

Here are some of the fantastic images of the 'rejection drop' taken by Bolton photographer Brian White http://brianwhitephotography.co.uk/index.htm on the 13 July Knepp Purple Emperor safari. An already-mated female is seen trying to out-manoeuvre two amorous males.
BC Empress pursued by two emperors (1), Knepp 13.7.17 (c) Brian White.jpg
BC Empress pursued by two emperors (2), Knepp 13.7.17 (c) Brian White.jpg
BC Empress pursued by two emperors (3), Knepp 13.7.17 (c) Brian White.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Brian White sure is quite a photographer.

Jack

trevor

Post by trevor »

I think our trusty old FZ38's would have a problem capturing that sort of action !.

Spectacular !
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Those are spectacular views of airborne Emperors, Neil. So sad they'll be gone in another week....but Brown Hairstreaks will fill the gap till early September, so all is not lost!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Excels Again

On Sunday (23 July) I made a brief visit to the Knepp Wildland, before leading an afternoon event for small wood owners. I met Matthew Oates, who was just leaving, but had counted a total of 52 male Brown Hairstreak around Master Trees during an early morning survey. I then bumped into Dave Sadler and we performed a search for Brown Hairstreaks at low level, nectaring on Creeping Thistle. We rapidly located 6, including an early female. During our travels we also found some very nice Brown Argus.
BC Brown Hairstreak male (under), Knepp 23.7.17.jpg
BC Brown Hairstreak male (upper), Knepp 23.7.17.jpg
BC Brown Hairstreak female, Knepp 23.7.17.jpg
BC Brown Argus (male) Knepp 23.7.17.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dutch Copper

As I imagine many others are, I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms from the marvellous summer we were enjoying. Here's something to brighten up these dull days, while we wait for better weather to return.

My brother, Mark, who lives in Belgium, recently sent me some images of Large Copper he'd taken, while visiting the De Weerribben-Wieden National Park in the Netherlands. This one is straight from the Guy Padfield school of photography. It takes a lot to lure me away from a Sussex wood in July ... but this might just do it next year!
UKB Female Large Copper, De Weerribben 18.7.17 (c) Mark Hulme.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Competent photographers must run in the Hulme family.

Neil. Have either of your youngsters picked up a camera yet?

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

The word 'competent' doesn't do it justice, Jack. I'm still having palpitations over Neil's brother's image a couple of years ago of an in-flight Southern Swallowtail!

kevling

Post by kevling »

Neil, Beautiful shots of the Brown Hairstreak and in such large numbers too. I hope I get to see some before Summer's out.

Regards Kev

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all.

Jack: My brother is a far better (and more versatile) photographer than I. The FZ38 + close-up lens is a one-trick-pony, but a very good one. Taking nice images of butterflies and flowers is all I really aim to achieve. The problem is keeping Jacob (not yet three years-old) away from my camera!

David: I think it's a corker too, and tells the story of how easy it is for people to idly pass-by some of nature's gems, without even knowing they're there.

Kev: Even at Knepp, where the season started very early, females are only just starting to show. Plenty of time yet. Good luck.

BWs, Neil

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Neil Hulme wrote:Dutch CopperThis one is straight from the Guy Padfield school of photography.
:D It is indeed a shot I love getting: rare butterfly lurks unnoticed in the grass while the world cycles obliviously by. It's often better that way.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That is a wonderful image that really does speak to you :D .

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:...rare butterfly lurks unnoticed in the grass while the world cycles obliviously by. It's often better that way.
Ain't that the truth, Guy?

Perhaps they're simply unaware of the fauna sharing their pathways?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wonderful Weekender

With the family away on a mini-break, and workload returning to a more manageable level, I managed to spend the entire weekend in pursuit of butterflies.

On Saturday (29 July) morning I visited Mill Hill, to snatch a couple of hours butterflying before the predicted collapse in the weather. Second brood Adonis Blues are only just starting, with about half-a-dozen seen. Just before leaving I watched a female Adonis make her maiden flight, but she only managed about five metres before being accosted by an amorous male.
BC Adonis male, Mill Hill 29.7.17.jpg
BC Adonis pair, Mill Hill 29.7.17.jpg
On Sunday (30 July) I met Katrina for a hairstreak hunt on the Knepp Wildland. Conditions were very tricky, with high winds and long periods of cool, dull weather, but we eventually managed to find a total of 11 (6m, 5f), with the best action being reserved for the final half-hour. In one small area we found three females, two of which were in perfect condition. One specimen was particularly obliging, repeatedly dropping out of the Blackthorn to pose for us.
BC BH1 Knepp 30.7.17.jpg
BC BH2 Knepp 30.7.17.jpg
BC BH3 Knepp 30.7.17.jpg
BC BH4 Knepp 30.7.17.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots Neil :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But a whole weekend spent butterflying? :shock: That deserves even more envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel. Let's keep this between us - they'll never know. :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The Orgy Of Orgyia

This morning (31 July) I released two adult female Vapourer Moths at Springhead Hill, these being the progeny of Vanessa the Vapourer, which my daughter Mia bred through from a caterpillar last year (see viewtopic.php?p=114242#p114242 for photo story).

I placed the two virgin females on Bramble leaves, about a metre apart, and started the stopwatch. By 4 minutes 20 seconds both had been paired, demonstrating the species' incredible powers of pheromone attraction. By 5 minutes 30 seconds a total of seven males were on the scene. It is common in Lepidoptera for rival males to attempt to usurp a copulating male, by forcefully trying to part him from the female, but things are rather different with the Vapourer. Before long, one of the females was joined to two males, and the other to three! I carefully checked to confirm that they were all fully engaged.

Mating with more than one male appears to be a method of ensuring that genetic diversity is maintained. As the females are flightless, and don't ever move more than a centimetre or two after hatching, it is quite likely that the first male she mates with is a sibling. However, by accepting more than one male there is a much greater chance that less closely related genes are also transferred. The Vapourer truly is a weird and wonderful moth!
BC Vapourer attraction and pairings (1), Springhead Hill 31.7.17.jpg
First come, first served
BC Vapourer attraction and pairings (2), Springhead Hill 31.7.17.jpg
I was here first
BC Vapourer attraction and pairings (3), Springhead Hill 31.7.17.jpg
It could be worse, I could be over there
BC Vapourer attraction and pairings (4), Springhead Hill 31.7.17.jpg
I wish I was over there
BC Vapourer attraction and pairings (5), Springhead Hill 31.7.17.jpg
This is getting ridiculous!

David M

Post by David M »

You sure didn't waste your weekend, Neil. What a haul and those Hairstreaks are absolutely divine.

How lucky we are in this country to have such a butterfly to usher in the finalé to the regular season!

Return to “Personal Diaries”