Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by bugboy »

You must have seen more Emperors over the past week than most of will see in our lifetime!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
peterc

Post by peterc »

Neil Hulme wrote:Midsummer Madness As British Emperoring Record Tumbles

Exeter University student Harry Drew had never seen a Purple Emperor before arriving at Knepp, for what must inevitably become an unforgettable summer as a resident research volunteer.

I met Harry rather late in the morning, for an introduction to Knepp and its emperors, but wasn't expecting the fireworks we were about to experience. This was about to become a Midsummer Day I will never forget, and nor will he. I had already commented that this year's population size was hard to call, as the searing heat over previous days had clearly suppressed activity - but by how much?

Heat again subdued activity, but this time only between 3pm and 6pm, with the slight breeze preventing burn-out before this period of quiescence. Our meticulous and methodical count, between 10.30am and 8.00pm, of 148 individual Purple Emperors could thus have produced even more.

Of the 148, only 6 were female, and almost every butterfly appeared to be in excellent or good condition. We saw 6 or 7 different bundles of 4 males, and between 15 and 20 bundles of 3. Some oaks hosted clusters of 4 and 3 simultaneously - the air was at times thick with them.

The Knepp emperors are now coming to ground with increased regularity. We witnessed 3 groundings and I'm aware of another 3 on the day. We watched one 'rejection drop', with the disgruntled female being pursued by a couple of males. Chaffinch, Great Tit, Chiffchaff, Jay and large dragonflies were attacked.

As the light of the longest day began to soften, and the oak crowns became alive with twisting clouds of Purple Hairstreak, the emperors finally decided that they'd done enough to confirm that Knepp is now one of the most awe-inspiring parts of the great British countryside.

BC Purple Emperor male 1, Knepp 21.6.17.jpgBC Purple Emperor male 2, Knepp 21.6.17.jpgBC Purple Emperor male 3, Knepp 21.6.17.jpgBC Purple Emperor male 4, Knepp 21.6.17.jpgBC Purple Emperor female 1, Knepp 21.6.17.jpgBC Purple Emperor female 2, Knepp 21.6.17.jpg
Fantastic images and what a spectacular day it must have been, Neil.

I noticed that the antennae of some of your Emperor shots are blue. Several photos of both Emperors that Bob (Clift) and I took on Wednesday also showed blue antennae which were quite striking in some cases. Is this unusual or is it the trick of the light?

I look forward to watching Countryfile on 9 July.

ATB

Peter

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I hope they still have that episode of Countryfile when I return from France on 15th July. Forget Hall & Oates, how about Hulme & Oates, introduced by John Craven!! :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Wurzel and David. It really was a pleasure to meet John and I'm sure this will make great TV. It should be available online when you get home, David.
Hi bugboy - plenty more where they came from!
Hi Peter. The antennae do have a bluish sheen but, like the wings, it only shows in some light conditions.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Purple Paradise

On Monday I joined Matthew Oates and Exeter University student Harry Drew, to monitor Purple Emperor and other butterfly numbers over the Knepp Castle Estate Wildland. This was another very thorough and widespread survey, extending over much of the Southern Block, starting at 9.00 am and continuing until the emperors finally stopped flying at 7.40 pm.

Using the 4x4 'mule' we were able to penetrate deep into the seldom-visited parts of the wilderness, to experience a grand finale of 'big sky' and spectacular sunset, as an already-mated empress spiralled to the ground, in an attempt to shake off her suitor. At times being at Knepp can really feel like being in Africa.

The hard-won tally for Harry and I reached 138 Purple Emperor, with Matthew seeing a very similar number, having taken a slightly different route at times. The species has reached peak but the numbers are so vast that the season will run for some weeks yet. Only 8 of those seen were females, several being on sap-runs. Activity was supressed by heat for much of the day, but things became really lively after 6.00 pm. During our travels we also saw 3 Silver-washed Fritillary, 2 White Admiral, 2 White-letter Hairstreak and my first Gatekeeper of the year.

There has also been a huge emergence of Purple Hairstreak, which is best seen in the early and mid evening. We found 6 freshly emerged male hairstreaks on the ground during the morning, which seemed to be searching for moisture amongst the Fleabane and grasses. The numbers seen after 6.30 pm were simply phenomenal, with bundles of up to 15, and 20 - 30 seen simultaneously on some trees. Matthew commented that this was the best showing he has experienced since the long, hot summer of 1976. This is the year to look for this species.

One wonders just how good the Knepp Wildland can get. There is simply nowhere else quite like it.
BC Purple Hairstreak (male) Knepp 26.6.17.jpg
BC Purple Emperor male, Knepp 26.6.17.jpg
BC Purple Emperor female on sap run, Knepp 26.6.17.jpg
BC Purple Emperor female and male (rejection), Knepp 26.6.17.jpg

peterc

Post by peterc »

Thanks, Neil, regarding my PE 'blue' antennae query.

ATB

Peter

trevor

Post by trevor »

What a coincidence, Doug Neve and myself photographed a lovely female
Purple Hairstreak yesterday ( one of five seen low down ), and you found
a male. A real treat for all concerned.

Superb image,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Wurzel and David. It really was a pleasure to meet John and I'm sure this will make great TV. It should be available online when you get home, David.
Thanks for the heads-up, Neil. I'll check it out when I get back.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Wildland Update

The Purple Emperor safaris have run post-peak season this year, due to the exceptionally early emergence. However, numbers have still been very impressive, with 56 emperors seen on Saturday 1 July and 62 on Sunday 2 July. It was great to catch up with UKBer Susie on the second walk. Matthew Oates, Harry Drew and I continued our surveys into the evenings, adding a further 16 and 5 to these counts. There are still plenty flying ahead of the coming weekend, but the action is likely to tail-off during the following week.

The Purple Hairstreak has performed just as well as the Purple Emperor this year, with vast numbers observed particularly after 6.30pm. They have been unusually cooperative in dropping down into low vegetation, to either search for moisture or nectar on Bramble blossom. The first of this year's emperor eggs have been located and during our travels we've seen good numbers of Marbled White, Gatekeeper, Comma, Small and Essex Skipper, together with a few Silver-washed Fritillary, White Admiral and Small Copper. We've also spotted unusually early Peacock and second brood Holly Blue. Other highlights have included Elephant Hawk-moth and a very photogenic Roesel's Bush-cricket.
Knepp Purple Hairstreak female 1.7.17.jpg
Knepp Purple Hairstreak male 1.7.17.jpg
Knepp Purple Emperor female 1.7.17.jpg
Knepp Purple Emperor egg 30.6.17.jpg
Knepp Roesel's Bush-cricket 2.7.17.jpg
Knepp Elephant Hawkmoth 30.6.17.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

The Purple Hairstreak pair of images is breathtaking, Neil, just exquisite. One day I shall spot one low down before I disturb it! :)

Dave

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Dave. If it's any comfort (probably not!), I've fluffed a fair few myself this year. It's not too late to get a really good one this season, but this species really requires a dedicated, fully focused search, if the 'oops, oh ****!' scenario is to be avoided. Good luck.
BWs, Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The Purple Hairstreaks this year have been astounding, never known a year when so many have been captured low down!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Your Purple Hairstreak picture is wonderful, Neil - it will be my ambition to get one anywhere near as good!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Janet. That's what keeps us coming back for more. Purple Hairstreak images are usually hard to come-by - but this is the year to get them. As the great Purple Emperor hunter, I.R.P. Heslop, once wrote: "To the woods, without breakfast!" - and that's what I'll be doing tomorrow! Good luck - perseverance always pays off in the end.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More From The Wildland

The Purple Emperor is still going strong at Knepp, although hot and sunny mornings can be very slow now. Today followed this pattern, but by the time I'd bumped into John Woodward, of Steyning Downland Scheme http://www.steyningdownland.org fame, things were livening up. We got some fantastic views of His Imperial Majesty through John's telescope. I later met a couple I know through Steyning U3A, just in time to share a point-blank view of an empress dropping to the ground in an attempt to shake off an over-enthusiastic male; later repeated by another female in exactly the same spot. At one point I saw three females laying eggs in a sheltered sallow grove, and by the time they'd stopped flying I'd seen a total of 47 individuals.

The highpoint for me today was watching a pair of males doing almost non-stop battle over the pond beside the barn on the green lane. I was mesmerised for an hour, during which they were in combat flight for about 45 minutes. And I won't forget the White Admiral which I spent an hour photographing as it repeatedly perched within a metre of where I stood. I'll be back again as soon as possible to drink in more of Knepp's magic.
Knepp White Admiral 5.7.17.jpg
Knepp - The Emperor's lair 5.7.17.jpg
Knepp Beautiful Demoiselle 5.7.17.jpg
Knepp - Fields of Centaury 5.7.17.jpg
Knepp Tamworths 5.7.17.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

I am in awe of your Purple Hairstreak images from Knepp.

Do you have any theories about their behaviour this year?. It's not just a localised event,
eg. There have been sightings of them on low down vegetation from as far apart as East Blean,
Fermyn, Knepp, Abbots Wood, and all places in between I shouldn't wonder.

All the best,
Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I too am envious of those purple hairstreak images, the only British species I've never got a good picture of!

David M

Post by David M »

It must be something affecting UK Purple Hairstreaks only, because the ones here in France right now are buzzing around the canopy as per usual!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ah, the great year of 1976. You reports Neil remind me very much of Bentley Wood that summer with Purple Hairstreaks actively seeking the shade on the ground and any patches of slightly moister soil..

Jack

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great PHS shots Neil, I hope they're still coming down at Fermyn and East Blean, ( I'll be there this week end ) :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”