Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil and Wurzel, I was very surprised to see those Speckies , HLB has very sheltered area's, the tree's are on a slope which slopes down to a stream, the stream has Garlic flowers along both sides which at present are well behind for the season but the tree's do give lots of shelter for the Speckies.
It's a bit lonely down by the stream so I've not really been down there until yesterday, some women were walking their dogs there so I kept a discreet distance behind them and lucky for me the dogs disturbed the Butterflies :D of course when I saw the Butterflies that's has far down the lane and through the woods that I ventured :D
I was amazed to see so many. :D
The weather here has been rough until these last few days when it's been cold in the mornings but really hot during the day, I've had the sun brolly out in the garden , any way, it's supposed to go cold again soon, that may slow down the Holly Blues from coming out too soon but I hope not :D
I've seen the Brimstone again but not managed a shot yet :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! Your Specklies are out before mine, Goldie! :shock: You're seeing more Small Tortoiseshells too, and I'm not surprised you had a visit from a Peacock - I don't think I've ever seen so many in early spring as this year.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, It's so nice to see the Peacocks again in my garden and the Speckies were a big surprise :D I've also seen the Brimstone's but they've been too active to get any shots :roll:
The weather has been very nice but since last Friday we've had really cold winds with no Butterflies flying into the garden, I may take a look over to HLB today but it feels more like Winter here at present, hope fully the week-end will turn Mild again :D Goldie :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Gorgeous shots Goldie, love the garden Small Tort. :D
David M

Post by David M »

...I've also seen the Brimstone's but they've been too active to get any shots
Tell me about it, Goldie! I find they slow down somewhat further into their flight period so keep on trying!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your posts Andrew and David, the weather 's been awfully cold here but at least we missed the Snow, tomorrow looks more promising So David I hope to catch sight of a Brimstone :D getting a shot !!! :roll:
Glad you liked the Garden Butterfly Andrew lets hope there's some more arriving tomorrow :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Keep trying with those Brimstones when they next come out Goldie as getting shots of them is a bit like waiting for a Bus - nowt for ages and then all of a sudden you can't stop getting shots :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I will keep trying Wurzel :D
I went back to Hall-Lee-Brook this Morning, I saw three Butterflies in total, one Comma trying to get the frost out of it's wings and one Peacock trying to hide in the long grass :D A Speckie that flew past in a hurry and that was that :roll: I told myself at least I'd seen some thing :D The weather's been really lovely this afternoon, I think now I went out too early. :roll: I did see a Peacock in my garden but it went sailing through and didn't stop.
I may have to go further a field for my Brimstone Wurzel :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b64d.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Three butterflies today is nothing to be ashamed of, Goldie. The fierce weather we've had over the past couple of days has no doubt taken its toll. I sincerely hope that is the last truly cold spell of spring.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You certainly did well today Goldie and at least three times better than me, three butterflies, three species and a shot of one :mrgreen: All I could muster was a paltry Specklie that wouldn't stop for a photo - I hope the weather bucks up in the next few days :roll: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David and Wurzel, we've had some good weather up here since my last post, yesterday for instance in spite of the bitter cold east wind the Sun was really good shining all day :D

I'd got up pretty early and was surprised to see the Sun, surprised because it didn't seem to have any rays, it was just a round red ball, of course I had to take shot which included my Cherry tree :D

I decided to give HLB my local haunt another go, I didn't want to travel too far because my car needs an MOT and two new front tyres, ( they've just been and taken the car ) so it won't be back while later, any way back to the story :D

I went to where the sheltered area's were, lots of sun, no wind, to my delight I saw six Peacocks and and a Tortoiseshell, I didn't manage any shots of the Speckies though this time, when I got back home the wind had lessened and I saw two Speckies soaring up from next doors tree, off they went with out stopping :D whilst I was sitting in the Garden having a brew and hiding from the breeze has best I could a Peacock dived on me, it was unexpected and my movement made it fly off :roll:

Today the wind is supposed to die down , so may be I'll get some more visitors Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b672.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b673.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpg
IMG_5196.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
I see that your down in "sunny " Kent shortly ,in my part of Kent things are pretty slow at present ,you,ve seen a lot more where you are compared to what I,ve seen as yet.
As far as I,m aware there have been no Grizzles reported locally yet ,the weather just hasn,t been up to it ! if I was coming through to K ent
in the next week or so ,I think I would probably head for Dungeness ,it,s an excellent site for Grizzlies ,but they are very spread out there ,and also
a top site for Small Coppers (as you know ) ,again as far as I,m aware ,none have been reported as yet ,but if the weather picks up ,I reckon another week or so (maybe a little more ) they should start appearing. If I hear of any local sightings (of Grizzlies ) I,ll let you know .
Regards Allan.W.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, I’m with Allan, I fear you may be just a tad too early. I think Mill Hill, near Shoreham in Sussex, is the only UK site with Grizzed Skippers so far. In a weeks’ time though, you never know!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks so much Allan and essex, I should be there over Easter which gives me a chance I think :D That's if I can persuade my Daughter to run me to Dungeness :roll: I'll have to bend her arm a little :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Goldie especially that first one of the Peacock - gurt lush :D :mrgreen:
Good luck with the Grizzlies - hopefully there might be a few around in a weeks time for when you're down that way although things have noticeably slowed over the last week :? Keep checking that Kent BC Branch website and the sightings board here :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it's been cold winds all week here which as taken the edge off things really but at least it's been sunny.
I do hope I see a Grizzle when in Kent, I am going to Eastbourne the end of May but I suppose I might have missed them by then.
Sunny again today but we've still got the wind :roll: Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Goldie ,
I see that you,re coming down to the Eastbourne area towards the end of May .Looking in Neil Hulme and Michael Blencowes excellent "BUTTERFLIES OF SUSSEX" I noticed that on the Grizzlies distribution map there seem to be quite a cluster of sites in the Eastbourne area , its not my area ,but I,m sure there will be a few on the forums that could suggest a site or two for you within easy striking distance of Eastbourne ,and I would also reckon ,that although late ,there should still be a few about.
Another site (in Kent ) that may be worth a look is at Bonsai bank (the excellent Duke site ) in Denge wood ,which I believe you,re familiar with
I,ve not seen them there myself ,but I believe Dave Brown found some ,a season or two back.
Good hunting ! Regards Allan.W.
PS; And of course you also have the Dukes at Bonsai !
David M

Post by David M »

Good that you're still seeing the butterflies, Goldie. It's been a bit frustrating lately, with cool temperatures everywhere, but at least the sun has been out occasionally. Hopefully you'll pick up a couple of new species when you're down south.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I hope so, maybe I'll see a Brimstone and get a photo :D

This morning we had a hard frost but also lovely Sunshine and for once, NO Wind, Miracles do happen :D I decided it was time I
Ventured a field, it would be hard for me, but had to be done. The last place I visited with my late Husband was Brockholes CP so I thought if I headed there it would be a step forward.
I set off about 10am and arrived about 10.30am, it's not too far but it means taking the M 61 and M6 which is always packed, by going early I passed lots of Caravans going to the Lakes but I'd no hold ups, so that was good.

It was bitter cold when I got there but by lunch time much warmer, I met another lady on her own and we got chatting and walked through Bolton Woods for company, she seemed to know all the bird calls and was very interesting, another couple shouted to us and pointed to where an Orange Tip was sitting catching the Sun warming up it's wings, I'd never seen one so fresh looking before and it sat there while we took loads of shots :D

On the way back to the car for my picnic I saw this Kestrel high in the tree , he gave me a frosty look then continued looking for prey :D

The Bluebells were just coming out in the woods and in the fields Cow Slips were beginning to open ,altogether it was a good day and I'm glad I went , maybe the Lakes next stop :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b6b9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b6b6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b6f1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b6c7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b6d5.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done M :D That is a huge step forward. You should be proud of yourself and I'm damn sure Jim would be too! As a bonus you got some really good shots there. As I said recently, that new lens has made a massive difference so good decision. The OT's are great but I love the Kestrel :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”