CallumMac

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: CallumMac

Post by David M »

I do love their grumpy little faces, but I must admit I have a particular fondness for beautiful Barn Owls.
How can anyone not love a Barn Owl? Not just gorgeous looking, but sleek, elegant, silent and unerringly efficient at what it does.

Always best when miracles of nature look as beautiful as they do.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just trying to catch up on a few weeks worth of posts :oops: . Love the owls, sad to say though I've never seen a wild Barn Owl.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Thanks all!

27/09/2018 - Walmgate Stray

I really, really didn't expect to be writing another diary entry this year! However, at 3.15 this afternoon I came out of a particularly intense meeting with my postdoc advisors and saw the sun shining outside, and it was too much to resist! I grabbed my camera from the car and wandered out on to Walmgate Stray. There was a fairly stiff breeze blowing, but I knew of a nice corner that's sheltered from sou-westerlies and full of thistles, so there I headed, hoping for both Coppers and Tortoiseshells Small!

The Coppers were easy - there were still a good 5 or 6 at least flying. Some of them were beginning to show their age!
IMG_4590.jpg
IMG_4612.jpg
IMG_4665.jpg
IMG_4668.jpg
This one had a photobomber...
IMG_4632.jpg
...and this one was (finally!) my first blue badger of the year! :D
IMG_4696.jpg
There was one other species, but it was certainly not what I expected. I've heard of Brown Argus records from the Stray before, though I'd never seen one there myself. Regardless, it is extremely unusual to see a third-generation Brown Argus up here in Yorkshire! But surely this one, looking pretty fresh in the last week of September, in an early year, must be exactly that...
IMG_4604.jpg
IMG_4687.jpg
In the end, I did see my Small Tortoiseshell as well - it whizzed past as I was walking back to the office, but didn't stop for a photo. The next few days look to be set fair as well - perhaps a bit of an Indian summer?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Amazing to see a Brown Argus up there at the end of September as you say, Callum. They seem to be rewriting the books completely this year. :)

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Just shows you need to savour every moment you can, Calum!

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Thanks Dave, and indeed essexbuzzard - what I would have missed if I'd just assumed it was too late in the year to bother!

Just to add to the above - I said that the last SC was my first blue badger of the year, but on reviewing my photos on my larger desktop monitor at work, there is also a faint scattering of blue scales visible on the second individual... :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great way to recover after an intense meeting Callum, a just rewards :D A cracking little Brown Argus :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Callum, don't put your Camera a way just yet, you can still see Butterflies to the end of October, even into November, mind you , it has been an hot Summer :?: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

I find whenever I get fed up I'm only ever one butterfly away from redemption! You saw many, including a wonderful surprise with that Brown Argus.

You definitely made the right decision.

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

29/09/2018 - Skerne Wetlands

If my post earlier in the week was about summer's last hurrah, this is definitely about autumn's first halloo! I'd not been to this Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve before, but my partner had and suggested it was worth a visit. YWT bought the land fairly recently and have set about converting a former fish farm into a network of ponds and waterways strung out alongside the most northerly chalk stream in England - the upper River Hull.
IMG_4702.jpg
Plenty of big brown trout visible in the streams, and we could really see the potential for spotting otters here (others have!). Likewise barn owls! A kingfisher briefly spotted, and tree sparrows on the feeders by the reserve workshop. And this is a water vole hole!
IMG_4704.jpg
As we walked along the banks of the Hull, we spotted a few Commas dashing about, making the most of the warm sunshine for a last glug of nectar before the winter comes! The colour really shines against a backdrop of browning leaves and autumn berries. :D
IMG_4706.CR2.jpg
IMG_4713.CR2.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Comma's Callum, your right the Berries really do set them off :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a very seasonal Comma, Callum. Their colours really fit an autumn setting. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely autumnal colours on the Comma Callum :D DO you know what breed of cattle that was (guessing Belted Galloway?)?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Thanks Goldie, Dave, Wurzel. Yes, that's a Beltie all right - a young bull. They had a herd of maybe 20-odd.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the confirmation Callum, we've got Dexters round our way which are similar build but don't have a massive 'belt' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That first Comma image looks like it would make a nice Christmas Card, Callum! :)

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

David M wrote:That first Comma image looks like it would make a nice Christmas Card, Callum! :)
Yes indeed! I had it earmarked for the December page of a calendar... :D

CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

10/10/2018 - Walmgate Stray

I keep expecting every butterfly outing to be the last of the year! On Sunday that appeared to have been the case, because we spent the morning in bright sunshine at North Cave Wetlands without seeing a butterfly (a lovely Kingfisher making up for any disappointment!). But this afternoon was not just sunny, but also warm, so I popped out of the office to check out 'Copper Corner' on the Stray.

At least four individuals still flying, and surprisingly one of those looked very freshly emerged:
IMG_4837.CR2.jpg
IMG_4851.CR2.jpg
IMG_4895.CR2.jpg
IMG_4902.CR2.jpg
IMG_4909.CR2.jpg
IMG_4930.CR2.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

That one does look fresh, Callum - and those two forewing spots are joined into an unusual-looking splodge. Is there a third brood out now at Calley Heath do you know?

Cheers,

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Callum. The Coppers have been putting on a great show. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”