Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, Crossbills is a species I've never seen and only once have I seen a Firecrest so a :mrgreen: for them!

February 2020.
Wednesday the 5th was another sunny day when I thought perhaps my luck might be in with an early butterfly sighting. There’s certainly been a good few sightings scattered across social media, mostly Peacocks, over the past week or two. I stayed local on Walthamstow Marshes and set out early. Despite the bright skies and virtually still air, I wasn’t to find any butterflies in my few hours ambling around though, but the birdlife kept my camera busy.

Here's a female/juvenile Grey Wagtail with a Pied cousin in the foreground
IMG_0021.JPG
A Song Thrush singing the song of his people!
IMG_0038.JPG
A nervous looking Wood Pigeon eyeing up the recent arrival in the tree.
IMG_0044.JPG
It needn’t have been worried though, the Kestrel had his eyes on much smaller prey and demonstrated the remarkable eyesight Birds of Prey posses by spotting an earthworm halfway across the field from the vantage point high up in the tree. He also proved that age old saying about early birds and worms.
IMG_0052.JPG
In the next field another worm was also meeting a sticky end (or should that be a stretchy end :shock: ), this time the early bird being a Mistle Thrush.
IMG_0076.JPG
Mistle Thrush gif.gif
Also searching for breakfast was a Magpie, rooting through the leaf litter.
IMG_0117.JPG
Robins, always commonplace, were in fine voice.
IMG_0146.JPG
Last time I was here I photographed a pair of Swans rather exuberantly enjoying a bath, they looked far more serene and graceful today.
IMG_0190.JPG
Although there were no butterflies to be seen, many Bumblebees were active. One in particular didn’t go unnoticed by a local Great Tit and met with a particularly gruesome end. From the Great Tits perspective it makes perfect sense to remove the stinger before eating the Bee but it does mean a rather slow death is to be had by the unfortunate victim.
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
As a sign that spring is just around the corner some of the Blackthorn here is in full flower already. This is actually perfectly normal on my local patch with some areas all but gone over by the time the adult hibernators begin to emerge in 4 or 5 weeks time.
IMG_0265.JPG
Hopefully my next post will have a butterfly or two :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking shots Bugboy :D Especially like the Song Thrush - it's throwing an unusual shape there, caught in mid riff 8) Good work with the Kestrel down on the deck, don;t often see that :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's fascinating regarding the Great Tit and the Bumblebee, BB. I never knew small birds would prey on bees but the truth is staring me in the face there!

I'm also surprised by your blackthorn blossom. I've never heard of it flowering so early.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comments Wurzel and David :)

February 2020.
I promised butterflies last time for the next post, I’ve failed….sorry about that but I’m gonna blame it on weather, we’ve had an awful lot of weather recently :shock: .

Well anyway, I bought a new camera recently, I’d noticed the old one was starting to show its age (or rather how much use I put it through). Just a few mildly annoying glitches but I thought I’d invest in a slight upgrade which at the first opportunity got a test drive. The first opportunity turned out to be the afternoon of the 23rd February, when there was noticeably less rain than what has become ‘normal’ and the sun even came out periodically giving me a sense of what Noah must have felt on day 41 :? !

I stayed local again on the marshes where the large patch of early flowering Blackthorn is now in full swing, just a shame there’s no butterflies to enjoy this early bounty like there was last year.
IMG_0007.JPG
Out on the horse paddocks I saw the first Redwings of the winter here, only half a dozen or so but at least some have turned up at last.
Redwing
Redwing
Lots of small birds were flitting around but I managed to pin down a Chiffchaff and I had some more luck with another Long-tailed Tit.
Chiffchaff
Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Here’s a Stock Dove with it’s larger relative lurking in the background.
Stock Dove and Wood Pigeon
Stock Dove and Wood Pigeon
Some Black-headed Gull’s were mucking around in the more waterlogged parts of the fields
Black-headed Gulls
Black-headed Gulls
And just before heading home a young male Kestrel put on an excellent display rather close to me, shame about the electricity pylon in the background :roll: .
Kestrel.JPG
Doing it the easy way!
Doing it the easy way!
The camera did good though, close enough to the old one to get the grip of it without too much searching for buttons and settings. Just need to play with the brightness on the rear screen so I’m not overcompensating exposures etc.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots again Bugboy - especially like the Stock Dove - easily overlooked and the overwintering Chiff Chaff:D To say we've had a lot of weather is putting mildly so you can be forgiven for no butterflies :wink: Mind you things don;t look much better any time soon, fingers crossed for some more stable weather patterns soon :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Bird shots Bugboy, I tried to get a shot of the Sparrow Hawk yesterday but just missed him :( Lets hope your next shots are Butterflies :D Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Goldie, sadly still no butterflies but we're in March now so surely we'll see some soon.... as long as the weather settles down a bit!
THanks Wurzel. According to the Countryfile weather forecast we might have a quieter week so just perhaps something will poke it's antennae out from it's hiding place :?

February 2020.

I had a half day on the 27th. I spent the morning working in torrential rain but come the afternoon the sun was shining. Another chance to take the new camera out for a test drive. Off course no butterflies were about, it may have been sunny but the brisk wind was a tad chilly.

I did find a Blue Tit nectaring on the Blackthorn. Just like an insect, each flower was probed/nibbled in turn.
Blue Tit
Blue Tit
A grey Squirrel put on it’s best ‘innocent, butter wouldn’t melt’ pose.
Grey Squirrel
Grey Squirrel
Out on the horse paddocks I glimpsed the first Fieldfare I’ve seen this winter.
Fieldfare
Fieldfare
A couple of Little Grebe/Dabchick were feeding and perhaps toying with the idea of making chicks, they certainly looked like they were dressed in their breeding plumage.
Dabchick
Dabchick
IMG_0107.JPG
Joining them were some Gadwall, a very understated duck.
Gadwall
Gadwall
The Stock Doves were still hanging around, this time a bit closer
Stock Dove
Stock Dove
And lastly a man made flying thing. I see Chinooks quite often flying over my local patch. I really do need some butterflies to point my camera at soon though :lol: !
Chinook
Chinook
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:02 pm...I see Chinooks quite often flying over my local patch. I really do need some butterflies to point my camera at soon though
I feel your pain, BB. Yes, I suppose when you are photographing helicopters then something is seriously lacking. :)

Won't be long now. By mid-March we'll all be struggling to remember these levels of frustration.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Bugboy :D Really interesting behaviour you captured - I've never seen nectaring in Blue Tits before 8) but then every source of carbohydrate needs to be exploited :D Love the Dabchick shots too and you're right too about the understated Gadwall - mind you when the sun catches them and you get a close look the fine markings are really stunning :D 8) Fingers crossed for some better weather - though it'll probably get worse just in time for the weekend :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel and David, fingers crossed things are going to improve in the coming days :)

March 2020
Well I'm officially off the mark with butterflies this year, but don't get too excited :lol: . I've been out a bit in the recent (relatively speaking) benign weather, both on my lunch breaks at work and days off but it was on Sunday the 8th that I finally found a butterfly. A Peacock flew by near the end of a few hours on Walthamstow Marshes. Unfortunately it was during a cloudy spell and it had closed up by the time I was in range for a quick record shot and then flew off over the hedge before I could get any closer, so all I have to show is this :oops:
IMG_0001.JPG
I won't be entering that into any photographic competitions anytime soon!

I went out again today, buoyed by a message from Millerd over on the other side of London about good numbers on the wing but I came home with an empty camera. Still, I'd booked a week off back in January, hoping it would coincide with a return of springlike weather. That week in question is next week and it looks like the law of sod was looking the other way when I made this particular arrangement... if the current forecast is to be believed :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hopefully that Peacock won't be your only March sighting, at least it's a start.
Remember late last Feb?, sightings of the five hibernators was almost routine!.
It will be interesting to see whether each species will be on time this year,
rather than early, as in recent years.

Keep up the good work !.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on getting off the mark Bugboy! :D 8) It's a great feeling getting that first sighting :D Hopefully the Met Office will finally get the forecast correct...fingers crossed, touch wood, flip my lucky coin and wear my lucky hat :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm....I won't be entering that into any photographic competitions anytime soon!
Matters not, Paul. An early March butterfly is precious irrespective of its corresponding image. :)

Things look to be awakening now. Let's hope the forecast for a relatively benign spell from Friday holds true.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comments. It would seem most of us are finally off the mark but it remains to be seen if we will be able to enjoy the rest of early spring :?

March 2020.
Monday 16th. Finally some relief from the dreadful weather to get me out into the countryside chasing butterflies at last. Through a series of events my occasional chauffeur was also free and so I was able to be responsible and avoid public transport for a long-distance trip. (I’m not sure when next any rail company will be able prize money out of my bank account!)

Despite the almost endless amount of rain we’ve had I plumped for a trip down to the North Stoke site. For those not familiar with this site, it’s part of a low laying flood plane near the River Arun and gets very boggy even after a small amount of wet weather. I really wouldn’t bother going here if you don’t have wellies!
As promised, it was a beautiful day and an hour after arriving the first butterfly of the day floated past me, settled and sat soaking up the rays.
IMG_0016.JPG
Shortly after that a female Brimstone played hard to get (I suspect deliberately) which signaled it was ‘Brimstone O’clock’. Males appeared everywhere, all in full patrol mode and with no clouds, there was little chance to get my camera on them, but if there’s one thing that signals the end of winter, it’s a Brimstone flying along against a backdrop of the still leafless trees.
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
Another Peacock was found feeding on Sallow catkins before we sat down for our packed lunch.
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
After lunch we wandered further afield, walking along the river but all I saw was a single Peacock flyby. I was a little surprised to find a few patches of Cuckooflower already in full bloom.
IMG_0102.JPG
Whilst my Chauffeur explored another dryer path, I braved the mud again. The local Rooks looked like they had chicks to feed, stuffing their throat pouches full of whatever they could find and Rabbits had been doing what Rabbits do :wink: !
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
A few clouds had bubbled up which gave me the chance to grab a few Brimstones who were otherwise still very active. Peacocks also turned up fairly regularly, mostly males staking out territories from the behaviour exhibited.
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
And finally another species turned up, a trio of Comma. Two flew up into the air (looked like a courting pair rather than males battling) whilst the third sat for me.
IMG_0241.JPG
It was on my on my return that I finally succumbed to the mud, one foot slid one way whilst suction kept the other firmly in place and over I went, camera and all! All the hardware survived it’s brief encounter with the soggy ground but a towel had to be put down for me in the car for the drive home :lol:
trevor

Post by trevor »

A shame that North Stoke didn't deliver what you were hoping for !.
But for everything else you did very well. Cracking shot of the Peacock on Willow blossom.

Great stuff, stay safe,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

At least it wasn't actually underwater, Buggy! A nice selection there - I remember a similar set from our excursion there last year in February. I suspect that the hoped for other species may no longer be present, but always worth a look. There may not be many more legitimate longer-distance trips out this year by the look of things, so good to have got one in. :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you managed to get out while you still could Bugboy :D A lovely selection of images my fave probably being the ethereal Peacock on the catkins - gorgeous :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fingers crossed you might be able to make some further escapes in the near future :? :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Guys, even if those Large Torts are known to be there it is always going to be a very very long shot to track one down, most of the habitat is inaccessible anyway. The main reason for going there was simply to get out of London for a day! It looks like we will still be able to venture out at least for now plus I have a job which can't be done from home, so I will have my camera at work every day. Transects start in a couple of weeks too so hopefully I'll still be able to post a few pics.

March 2020
Tuesday 17th. No chauffeur availability today so it was a local wander around Walthamstow Marshes for a few hours. Within five minutes I was on to the first butterfly of the day and species number four for the year, a rather vibrant Small Tortoiseshell
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
Further along the path I was a little surprised to disturb a White. Today was somewhat more cloudy than yesterday so I was able to follow it until it was forced to settle where I could confirm my suspicions about it being a male Small White.
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
A few more sheltered hotspots turned up nothing until I found a small corner occupied by three Comma and a Brimstone. The Comma rested regularly in-between bouts of battling/courting. The Brimstone just fluttered back and forth mostly but I did manage a couple of shots during a cloudy spell, just missing the moment when a Drone fly decided to try and land on him.
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
I spent a bit of time here, the Commas remaining quite active even as the sun became more and more intermittent, the sheltered aspect keeping the wind off probably helping to maintain air temperature just enough for them.
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
After this small flurry things quietened down as the cloud cover thickened. Even so a few Peacock could still be found here and there before I decided to head home.
IMG_0063.JPG
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello BB, six in a trip! That is good going and great shots of them too :D
Old Wolf.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Bugboy! Love the shots of the Comma and Peacock :D :mrgreen: as I've seen em but not got any shots myself...yet :wink: I too will be traveling to work with my camera in tow and I might have to have a 'diversion' on the way home as I might be caught short - so Bentley Wood, my Duke Site or Larkhill might have to be my 'pee stop' :wink: Failing that we might have to take the pupils up the field to do some Quadrat Sampling :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”