Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel & David. Tilshead should be just right for Adonis when I arrive.

Early this morning I popped over to Abbots Wood to see how the Pearl Bordered Fritillaries were faring.
I needn't have arrived so early, as it was nearly 8am before the first one was seen. This was mainly down
to the fairly strong, cool, breeze, but by 8 o'clock the Sun's warmth could be felt.
My main aim was to try and locate a female PBF, as for me it's been all males so far this season.
The butterflies seen today varied greatly in condition, from fairly fresh to near death. Indeed one poor
old fellow lost part of it's left hind wing as I photographed it!. ( see images ).

As is usual the female PBF I was after, turned up in the main ride as I was heading home.
It was also good to see at least four PBF flying along this ride as the best Bugle and Violets grow along there.

From my observations the numbers of PBF at Abbots Wood seem to be down this year, Tired gene pool?.

Trevor.
Attachments
Female PBF.
Female PBF.
Female PBF.
Female PBF.
P1350653.JPG
P1350629.JPG
P1350641.JPG
P1350644.JPG
Left hindwing complete.
Left hindwing complete.
Note piece of left hindwing missing
Note piece of left hindwing missing
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Trevor, there are Adonis at Martin Down now so they'll be bucket loads at Tilshead when you get there :D Really get capture of the 'now you see it, now you don't' piece of hind wing :shock: I always put wing damage down to ears from Brambles etc or bird strikes, I didn't realise that butterflies can just fall to pieces :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Interesting observations, Trevor. I'm glad you managed to see a female; as you say, the males tend to be far more ubiquitous, although now that their season is past its peak, I'd expect that to change.

How did your faded specimen lose part of its wing?
trevor

Post by trevor »

Just a quick image from a trip to Wiltshire. 16/5.
Attachments
P1350819.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Just catching up on your recent stuff, some great reports and photos of a nice selection of species.

Looking at the Pearl with the 'apparent' piece missing from the hind wing, I could be wrong but I notice the angle is slightly different from the previous photo and it appears that the small leaf below the butterfly is over the wing giving an illusion of a piece missing...if you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well spotted Neil, I usually greatly enlarge my images on the laptop before posting.
On this occasion I didn't, so you are quite right, when enlarged it is a leaf in the way :oops: .

Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That first female PBF is very heavily marked - such a contrast to a "normal" male. It does make it easy to tell them apart. :)

And a nice Marshie too - they seem to be out on all their sites now (was that any particular bit of Wiltshire? :wink: )

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D Did you manage a trip to Tilshead on your flying visit? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the Marshie, Trevor. Seems they’re taking off everywhere!
trevor

Post by trevor »

On Thursday I set out at 5.10am for my annual trip to see the Marsh Fritillary.
My first call was Tilshead, Wilts. This usually busy site was quiet save for quite a few Brown Argus.
Another week or so should see the three regular Blue species found there flying.

Onward, to find the Marsh Fritillaries, which were slow to show, but Green Hairstreaks ( including one
with a full set of white spots ), Grizzled Skippers and a surprise, solo, Duke of Burgundy kept me
more than busy as I searched for my first Marshie.
Most of the Marsh Frits seen were in a different area. Once found, some were supercharged and
others quite placid, and all except one were in good condition.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350831.JPG
P1350762.JPG
P1350819.JPG
P1350822.JPG
Basking on luxurious Lambs wool.
Basking on luxurious Lambs wool.
P1350715.JPG
Only a single Duke was found.
Only a single Duke was found.
P1350751.JPG
P1350691.JPG
Tilshead Brown Argus.
Tilshead Brown Argus.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Trevor especially the Duke :D :mrgreen: Was that taken in the little depression just off the main track on the usual side? Tried the other side of the Hill today - blooming brilliant - so much better now than a few years back when you could barely get to it :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers, Wurzel. Yes, that part of the hill really did perform. Unlike my usual spot!.

Forgot to post this image the other day, and it is my favourite!
Marsh Fritillaries don't usually pose so ' open ', more often than not it's a moth like pose.
Attachments
P1350813.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is an unusual posture Trevor - like you say they're normally more Moff like :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, thanks for directing us to the other part of the Hill, Trevor - many more Marshies round there as well as a fair bit of other stuff. :D And your Duke is not the same as either of those we saw...

Cheers,

Dave
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Some lovely Marsh Fritillaries, Trevor, I must take a look soon, before they're past their best.
David M

Post by David M »

Can't get enough of these Marshies, Trevor. That last Duke is impressive too with it's extremely dark hindwings. Nice individual.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments.

This morning I spent several hours searching, and hoping, to find some early Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
After covering a wide area I eventually located two, a male and more surprisingly a female.
As might be expected both were very fresh.

Trevor.
Attachments
Female.
Female.
Male
Male
David M

Post by David M »

Glad to see they're starting to emerge, trevor. I got a shock when I saw one in my local area last week; I had thought they'd only be around about now.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find Trevor :D :mrgreen: Fingers crossed they've managed to cling on in Bentley - the habitat was much improved and the Pearls were liking it :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I spent a very enjoyable evening searching for roosting Butterflies.
As well as a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, I met the two most obliging
Small Heaths, not on the ground tilted to one side, but on Bracken fronds.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350863.JPG
P1350882.JPG
P1350869.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”