Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:I awoke to see the sun rising and a totally cloudless sky this morning
That was an excellent move by the look of things, Trevor. At this time of year, when the sun is rising so early, it's not impossible to find a few butterflies in the breakfast slot.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great run of posts Trevor. I reckon that Small Tort had some sort of scale defect. Also I'm very jealous you can just wake up and walk to Abbots Wood. Doesn't matter how early I leave, 9am is the earliest I can ever get there :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks David & Paul.

I prefer an early morning butterfly session, especially in the Summer, when it soon hots up.
Having said that I discovered the delights that a warm mid to late evening can offer, last year,
at Mill Hill and Park Corner.
I am fully aware of how lucky I am to live so close to some wonderful sites, with woodland
and downland in the local area, and of course the old railway for Spring species.

Have a great season,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

So he is Trevor :D , no doubt he's not the only butterfly we both saw independently!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, it's easy to forget that on sunny mornings, the butterflies are up before I am! Well worth the effort to go out and find them before they get too energised (or before it clouds over, which has been the main problem here recently!) :) Those PBF were a great reward for that effort.

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave, the early Bird catches the butterfly!.

This morning I found a mature Orange Tip egg.
Also a new one for me in the form of a Nursery Web Spider.
Attachments
P1350329.JPG
P1350330.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

As today is the eve of my Birthday, I thought I would seek out two rare Species,
and have a pub lunch. I achieved all three!.
First, it was Kithurst flower meadow for His Grace, the Duke of Burgundy. Despite
a horrendous traffic jam near Washington, caused by road resurfacing, I arrived
just in time to watch a Duke, Dingy and a Brown Argus sparring. When they broke off
the Dingy Skipper landed side by side with the Duke, apparently the best of friends.
I witnessed many sparring sessions, but one in particular took a different form to the others
I had seen, more of a playful chase than a dispute. So I followed them and sure enough I soon
had a mating pair of Dukes to photograph. This pair also delighted the three other enthusiasts on site.

Kithurst was also host to some Holly Blues, a Green Hairstreak, two very fresh Common Blues, and several Brimstones.

Part two to follow.
Attachments
P1350404.JPG
P1350382.JPG
P1350345.JPG
P1350355.JPG
P1350360.JPG
P1350386.JPG
P1350438.JPG
P1350424.JPG
P1350334.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

After a fabulous couple of hours a Kithurst flower meadow I headed over to
Chiddingfold forest, via The Blacksmiths Arms, at Adversane where I had lunch and a strong coffee.
Suitably refreshed I arrived at Chiddingfold under threatening skies, whish fortunately came to nothing.
As I walked along the ride I was amazed at the number of Brimstones, Orange Tips and Green veined Whites flying.
Of course the Wood White was my target, and they were initially quite hard to find, with not many on the wing yet.
I spotted my first Wood White flying parallel with me as I walked, and it was soon joined by another.
I amazed when one landed on a dead bramble, with the other one flying around it, this one then joined
the first one and after a short head to head session they coupled, a second mating pair of the day!.

My next piece of good fortune came as I headed back to the car, when a pair of Brimstones were found
fluttering in a ditch. This courtship attempt resulted in the male, with wings wide open, being given
the brush off by the female. Unfortunately the male's upperside was not in pristine condition.

And so concluded a fabulous pre Birthday treat.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1350486.JPG
P1350447.JPG
P1350494.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:..Also a new one for me in the form of a Nursery Web Spider.
Strange looking beast, Trevor. I always thought spiders had 8 legs?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy Birthday Trevor :D I can see that you filled your boots with Butterfly Birthday pressies :D Fantastic Dukes and Duchesses and the pairing couple - lush :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great Wood Whites and the courting Brimstones - sounds like a Birthday (eve) to remember :D :mrgreen: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers, Wurzel. The whole day worked to perfection, and saved about 85 miles.
David M

Post by David M »

That's quite a collection of pairings, Trevor. Seems like the return of sun and warmth has raised passion levels in the butterfly world!

How on earth you managed to get a Duke and a Dingy to sit still next to one another is extraordinary. These two are in the top ten for 'twitchiness' and intolerance, with Dingies difficult enough when they're on their own!

The Wood White sequence is fascinating too. You've had a great day and an early birthday treat.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Belated Happy Birthday !
kevling

Post by kevling »

Happy Birthday Trevor. What a cracking day, even under inconsistent weather conditions. Love the Duke & Duchess mating and as if that was not enough the Wood whites too. Well done.

Regards Kev
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Dukes Trevor, also the Wood Whites :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was a good day out, Trevor - The Wood White pairing is interesting in that it took so little time to start after the couple found each other. This adds to the debate about the alleged "courtship" ritual which can go on for some time... :)

The Duke & Dingy combo is a great shot to get - a very unlikely couple to find together. :shock:

And a very happy birthday from me as well. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for the Birthday greetings and favourable comments.

Today I fancied some Adonis Blue therapy, but I have to say that they seem to be able to detect
a camera from 10 paces away. I lost count of how many, posing perfectly, escaped just as I was
about to approach them. Anyway patience paid off, but I was denied that flash of electric blue.

Another star was a very docile Small Copper, which was not at all flighty.
Not a first sighting for the year, but a Small Heath landed ( for a change ) in an ideal spot for an image.

Another enjoyable session,
Trevor
Attachments
P1350553.JPG
P1350577.JPG
P1350546.JPG
P1350560.JPG
P1350521.JPG
P1350566.JPG
P1350605.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely set of Adonis Trevor :D I know what you mean about the flash of electric blue, I the dot see that more with these second brood possibly as the lighting is stronger then? You forgot to mention the cracking little hideaway Dingy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You did alright with the Adonis, Trevor, in spite of their twitchiness!

Nice to see a Small Heath posing in a place unobstructed with grass blades for a change. If only they were as accommodating as those Small Coppers! :)
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Dukes and Wood Whites in cop, A Duke and a Dingy side-by-side, fresh Adonis, to say nothing of the rest. Great sights and shots Trevor. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”