Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Callum :D , I have had Old Ladies to my trap before (hmm...doesn't sound quite right that :lol: ), I have heard it said that they come to actinic - which I use - more readily than MV.

Thanks Andrew, glad you like the shots :D

Hi Pauline, I have seen Blood-veins around here before when they can be easily disturbed during the day but that was the first one in my garden :D

Cheers Wurzel, like a lot of micros, and attractive moth with a tongue twisting name :D

Wednesday 4th July

This was the second day that I had booked off work earlier in the year in order to cover my options for seeing Purple Emperors. Of course, back then we had no idea that we were going to get this run of hot weather and so I had gone for these days based on the average emergence times over the past few years.
Having been successful with seeing the Emperors at Fermyn Wood last week I decided to go somewhere else this week and asked Jane if she fancied going down to Snitterfield Bushes just north of Stratford upon Avon, this being a favourite spot of hers.

We arrived at 09.30 and at first it felt a bit cool with the sun not quite high enough to shine over the trees onto the paths. It didn't take long to warm up however and as it did so it was like a switch was flipped and butterflies started appearing all around us, mostly the three common whites to start with but also Ringlets and Meadow Browns.
All three of the whites were flying in good numbers and to start with were visiting various flowers along the verges of the paths to fuel up for the day.
Large White - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Green-veined White - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
One of our prime reasons to come here was for Jane to see Silver-washed Fritillaries which can usually be seen in good numbers here and sure enough it wasn't long before they started appearing and like the whites spending some time nectaring.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Snitterfield 04.06.2018

As we were slowly wandering along a pair of SWFs in cop came fluttering along the path and dropped down right in front of Jane, they then took off again but only as far as some bramble a few feet away where I got a couple of photos before they were off again up into the trees.
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
I have seen female SWFs of the valezina form a number of times at this location in the past and was on the lookout for one of these today so was particularly chuffed to spot one on a stand of thistles. She was a little worse for wear and it was difficult to get a decent photo with her constant fidgeting about and the harsh light.
Silver-washed Fritillary valezina - Snitterfield 04.06.2018

Half a dozen summer Commas were scattered about along the paths along with singles of Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Red Admiral.
Comma - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Comma - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
A couple of Marbled Whites were also seen along the paths in the woods, these most likely having wandered in from the nearby meadows where they fly in good numbers.
Marbled White - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
Marbled White - Snitterfield 04.06.2018
I kept scanning the tops of the oaks for Purple Hairstreaks and spotted quite a few flitting about high up and on a couple of occasions one would come a bit lower down but unfortunately none were seen to settle.

Also seen were a couple of Gatekeepers, my first this year with these only just starting around here. The previously mentioned Ringlets and Meadow Browns were seen along every path but there did not seem to be as many as I have seen here in previous years. I know these latter two species prefer cooler conditions, perhaps it is just too hot for them lately.

By midday it had turned into yet another hot day and with a lot of the butterflies now hiding away in the shadier spots we decided to head back home.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh Neil, that Valezina underside shot is simply stunning. I can't remember ever seeing one as good as that. Definitely in the category of 'wish I'd taken it' .... or even 'wish I'd seen it'! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Valesina Neil, always tricky to get as they often seem to prefer the shade and are much more skittish then other SWFs :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I shall join the queue congratulating you on the Valezina, especially that underside shot.

Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Pauline, Wurzel and Ernie :D

Wednesday 4th July – part 2.

After our morning at Snitterfield Bushes we headed home and as it was now too hot to do much we spent a lazy afternoon just chilling out. I watched as increasing numbers of Large, Small and Green-veined Whites passed through the garden and a couple of male Large Skippers dashed about like mad things as they tried to chase off anything that came close to them.

I also saw my first summer Brimstone which spent some time going in and out of the shade by the brambles at the bottom of the garden.
Brimstone - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Brimstone - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Later on, about 5.00pm I decided to have a walk down the road to the local park to see if anything was about in the patch of rough ground that is along one side there. I soon saw the usual Meadow Browns and Ringlets along with all three whites, all in the good numbers that the recent weather has brought out at most places.
A number of golden skippers were darting about and along with a couple of faded Large and some Smalls I managed to identify at least a couple of Essex amongst them.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 04.07.2018
A couple of Small Tortoiseshells and at least three Commas were also flying backwards and forwards along the hedges here but these were very flighty in the heat and I only managed a couple of photos.
Comma - Wagon Lane 04.07.2018
Comma - Wagon Lane 04.07.2018
A rapidly moving object flew along in front to me at one point and at first I thought it was a perhaps some sort of odd stumpy dragonfly but a closer look proved it to be a Hummingbird Hawk Moth. It didn't hang around for me to even get a record shot but I was pleased with this sighting as this was the first of these that I have seen locally.

That night I ran the moth trap in the garden and and had my highest count so far this year - 218 moths of 44 species made up by 113 of 26 macro and 104 of 18 micro. Most of these were the usual trap fillers at this time of year e.g. Hart & Darts (19) and Uncertain/Rustic aggs (35) but there were a number of firsts for the year including Marbled Beauty, Buff Footman, Dun-bar, Buff Arches and Square-spot Rustic along with another Poplar Hawk which are always good to see.
Poplar Hawk Moth - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Poplar Hawk Moth - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Buff Arches - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Buff Arches - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Marbled Beauty - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Marbled Beauty - Coverdale 04.07.2018
There were also a couple of new species for my garden including a September Thorn This species is usually considered an autumn flying moth although it can be seen from July to October and I have heard of a few others coming to moths traps in the midlands this week.
September Thorn - Coverdale 04.07.2018
September Thorn - Coverdale 04.07.2018
The other new species for my garden was a Small Ranunculus. This species has an interesting history being considered extinct in the UK by the 1940s. It reappeared in Kent in 1997 and since then has spread across the UK and according to our Warwickshire moth recorder is now well established in urban areas in the north and west of the county with sporadic records from the west – where I am.
Small Ranunculus - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Small Ranunculus - Coverdale 04.07.2018
I also had 7 Coronets in the trap on Wednesday night which is more of this species in one night than I had in all of last year. This species was considered very local and scarce in Warwickshire just 10 years ago but since then has recovered somewhat and this year seems to be doing particularly well.
Coronet - Coverdale 04.07.2018
Coronet - Coverdale 04.07.2018
It has to be said that taking photos of moths in this heat is a trifle challenging and even though I usually wait until the evening and take the photos in the shade, I usually just get chance for one or two quick shots before they are gone.

Bye for now,

Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a lovely Comma shot Neil - crisp and well composed. It's the sort I'd frame and put on my wall :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Valezena, I've still only had distant views of them, they don't seem to appear at my normal SWF hunting ground of Bookham. I do like that Buff Arches too, one of my favourite moths which I've not seen for a few years :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

May I join the queue with the mrgreens for that gorgeous Valezena Neil ?. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have never seen the underside of one, so thanks for that !.
You are certainly making up for that grim early Spring you suffered !.

All the best,
Trevor.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely Silver-washed Neil, well done with the Valezina. :D Always enjoy your moth selection. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely valezina, Neil, and another fabulous line up of moths. The September Thorn, I assume, ought to be a late summer species. Is it usually around in early July?

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil - great series of moth pics. The Purple Hawk moth is a stunner and the Buff Arches looks like someone has highlighted it with gold paint. Fantastic.

Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm very envious of the valesina, Neil - such an extrordinary colouration and great shots. I have yet to see one (I must go to the wrong woods!). :)

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline...hmm! may have to look for a frame :D

Thanks Bugboy, I have had few Buff Arches every year since I started running the trap in my garden. A favourite of mine too :D

Thanks Trevor, Spring was certainly a bit grim here but it seem so long ago now :D

Thanks Andrew, glad you like the moths :D

Thanks David, the September Thorn can be seen from July onwards but is really a late summer/early autumn species.

Thanks Ernie, regarding nice Poplar Hawk Moths see the next post.

Thanks Dave, in Warwickshire valezina can be seen in Ryton Wood if you are lucky as well as Snitterfield Bushes and Oversley Wood.

Friday 13th July.

This past week most days have started off with varying degrees of cloud that has burned off through the day and turned into yet more warm and dry afternoons. We still have not had any rain although there is a forecast for scattered showers later tonight, some of which could apparently be thundery and heavy.
I have been seeing reports of large numbers of most of the usual summer species being seen all around the midlands but with me being stuck in work I have not been able to take advantage of this. I have however noted the numbers of butterflies, mostly whites, passing through my garden when I am back home later in the afternoon with all three common species being more numerous than in the past few summers. At times there have been half a dozen or more in sight at the same time and these have paid regular but usually short visits to my lavender and bowles mauve to top up their energy.
Small White - Coverdale 10.07.2018
A couple of Speckled Woods are in residence as usual and these are now being kept company by Ringlets, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Large Skippers, all of which appear to be breeding in the patches of long grass around the garden.
Gatekeeper - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Ringlet - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Ringlet - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Large Skipper - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Large Skipper - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Summer brood Holly Blues have been showing up for the past week or so but the only photo I have managed so far has been when I spotted one settle in a bit shade.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Holly Blue - Coverdale 10.07.2018
A couple of Commas have been flitting about all week and a Peacock was hanging around for a couple of days on one of my buddleias.
Peacock - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Peacock - Coverdale 10.07.2018
Back in May, I posted about some Poplar Hawk Moths that I had reared through from eggs that were laid by a female in my garden moth trap last year. All but one of these had emerged by the end of May and although the last remaining pupa did not emerge along with the others, I was pretty sure it was still healthy so I kept it in the emerging cage and continued to keep an eye on it.
On Monday I returned home from work to find that it had finally emerged and was pleased to see that it was a nice female of the less common buff colour form, the first of these that I have actually seen in the flesh.
Poplar Hawk Moth - Coverdale 08.07.2018
I ran the trap last Sunday night and had another large catch of 115 moths of 29 macro species and 107 of 22 micros making a total of 222 moths of 51 species.
Among the many common trap fillers I had a few more new ones for the year including Dingy Footman, Small Dusty Wave, Dusky Thorn and Silver Y (I have seen loads of these in the daytime but this was the first in the trap this year).
Dusky Thorn -  Coverdale 08.07.2018
Dusky Thorn - Coverdale 08.07.2018
I have had a few Elephant Hawk Moths this year but they are always a welcome sight.
Elephant Hawk Moth -  Coverdale 08.07.2018
Elephant Hawk Moth - Coverdale 08.07.2018
Although we have showers forecast and we could do with some rain around here I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get too much tonight because I am off out shortly to meet some of the Warwickshire Moth Group for a moth night at Ryton Wood.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh, well done Neil with that Poplar Hawk moth - great result :D :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the Polar Moth Neil :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those hawk moths are just stunning, Neil. For once, the butterflies will have to be content with a supporting role.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

She's a beauty Neil, well done. :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks all for the comments, I was well chuffed with that Poplar Hawk :D

We didn't have any rain in the end on Friday night, in fact apart from a very light shower yesterday (Monday) afternoon, we still haven't had any rain to speak of for weeks now.
The moth night at Ryton Wood was a great success with a total of 17 traps running from a number of generators. Some of the traps were packed away around 02.00am, including my portable 40w actinic which I took along, and some were left running until the morning when their owners returned to them. The final tally was in excess of 130 species of macro moths with some collating of lists and a couple of IDs still to do but it looks like a couple of new site records once the IDs are confirmed.
Ryton Wood at night - 13.07.2018
Ryton Wood at night - 13.07.2018

A weekend of household chores and family stuff with my daughter and grand kids around on Sunday meant that I didn't get chance to get out anywhere. From what I saw of the butterflies in the garden, everything was either charging around in turbo mode or hiding away in the shade as has become the norm in the recent hot weather.
Even so, I spent most of the time in the garden and managed a few random shots when the opportunity presented itself.
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Holly Blue - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Holly Blue - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Mint Moth - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Mint Moth - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Last night and today have been a little bit cooler with more cloud about but the forecast is for it to warm up again through the week and there is still no sign of any rain here yet.

I have another random day booked off work tomorrow so I am hoping to get out somewhere...don't know where yet, I will decide in the morning.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great selection of random shots Neil :D 130 species in one night :shock: I;m glad I haven't gotten into moffs in a big way, I'd still be writing up posts from 2013 in 2018 :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Trying to catch up on some posts Neil, with being on holiday it's a bit difficult :D Fabulous shots of the Valezina, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D also the moths :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”