Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Trevor

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice selection there Trevor, I particularly like that first Speckled Wood, a lovely fresh example :D

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, nice Specklies, Trevor - and the others as well. Female Brimstones definitely like dandelions - I found one today that just wasn't going to budge however close I got!

I wish you hadn't mentioned the hats and gloves - I've also just seen the forecast from the start of British "Summer" Time on Sunday... :(

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Brimstone Lady Trevor and a great set of Specklies :D :mrgreen: I look forward to the Specklies arriving as then I know that it shouldn't be too long until the Greenstreaks and Grizzlies etc start to put in an appearance :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Heartwarming selection of images, Trevor, particularly those Specklies, which I fear I'm going to HAVE to find this weekend otherwise it might be mid-April given the weather forecast! :(
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, everyone, Speckled Wood numbers are increasing daily around here.

Considering the very fine weather today, the number of Butterfles seen was surprisingly low.
No Commas at all, and only a handful of manic Peacocks. Male Brimstones were quite abundant
but none stopped. At least the Specklies were obliging.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340258.JPG
P1340252.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Specklies Trevor :D I reckon that if the butterflies round your way were even half as solar charged/twitchy as those round my way that could explain the low numbers Trevor :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I had a surprisingly bountiful day today, given the very strong, cool breeze blowing.
No fewer than nine Small Tortoiseshells were found basking or nectaring at Halnaker.
Presumably, they were all fresh from hibernation. The roof space in the farm buildings
provides ideal Winter protection for them, and they are seen every year at about this
time, and always make for the same piece of ground, which offers plenty of Dandelions and Nettles.

No other species were seen today.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340284.JPG
P1340294.JPG
P1340279.JPG
P1340290.JPG
P1340266.JPG
P1340265.JPG
The only worn specimen seen today.
The only worn specimen seen today.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It was hard work butterflying round my way today Trevor so your haul of 9 Small Torts definitely deserves :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. I finding the build of Small Torts is taking a bit longer this year as the season seems to be stop-starting :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nine Tortoiseshells is some going, Trevor - in fact it's three times as many as I've seen all year! :( :mrgreen:
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

A cluster of Small Torts ? Lovely stuff. :mrgreen: :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Sunrise here in East Sussex this morning, 5/4/2019 at 06.20
Attachments
P1340317.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, fantastic shot of the Sunrise :D we've yet to see the Sun for a while too much cloud, you were lucky to see all those Small Torts in that cold wind ,well done,! I went round my local spot and saw nothing even in the sheltered area's , I'm hoping tomorrow will be better :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm glad you enjoyed the Sunrise Goldie, it was one of the best I've seen.

And a lifetime first this morning!.

In the vain hope of finding some Butterflies, I risked a trip to the old railway this morning.
As I was carefully searching an area which can be good for an early Holly Blue, I noticed the
unmistakable shape of a Brimstone wing tip protruding from under a leaf. Lifting the leaf to
have a better look, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a mating pair.
I have done quite well with temporarily immobile Brimstones so far this season, but this pair
were in no hurry to complete their act, and were still locked in their embrace an hour later.

It was worth going out after all!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1340336.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a lovely shot of the sunrise Trevor and well found with the mating Brimstones. They're usually well camouflaged and well-hidden so you did well to spot them.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking find Trevor and a species I've yet to add to my In Cop Collection :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It really reveals the the difference in colour between the male and female :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great find with the mating Brimstones Trevor.

A cracking selection of Small Tortoiseshells too, they really show off the variation that can be found in this species.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very envious of that pairing, Trevor - not one I've see either, though I've seen endless rounds of courtship. A very nice find. :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great stuff Trevor, Like Dave I've watched countless desperate males being rejected but never managed a pair in cop :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Me neither. Well done Trev!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks. Further research today suggests that finding Brimstones mating
is quite rare, as they usually choose to copulate on the underside of a leaf.
Indeed this was the case today.

I thought a couple more images of the pair might be in order. I might add that after
photographing them I carefully replaced the surrounding foliage in a similar fashion
to how I found it.
Attachments
My first view.
My first view.
P1340324.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”