Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Brimstone shot Trevor :D You might have to wait a little longer for the Small Tort fest - normal weather service has resumed it seems :roll: oh well it was enjoyable while it lasted :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:..Fortunately one of the Brimstones was very camera friendly.
That's the shot I've been after for a fortnight! :evil:

Well executed, Trevor. Not an easy task at all.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Goldie, Wurzel & David.

Goldie, When you are in Eastbourne, the bus service called ' the loop ', run by Stagecoach
takes you to Hampden Park from the town.

After all the action earlier this week, the last two days have had an end of season feel about them, Wurzel.
Hope that wasn't our Summer, a la 2012.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

trevor wrote:...Hope that wasn't our Summer, a la 2012...
Indeed, I remember that 2012 began with an early, rather warm and dry spring.

But then again I saw 50 species in 2012 despite the deterioration in the summer weather, something I have not managed to do in any year since.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

That is remarkable, Neil. I just remember nearly every planned trip out being scuppered by poor weather.
I have never kept a record of species seen in a particular year, but I am very aware of species I have yet to see.
Even last year I managed two new species, the Swallowtail and Black Hairstreak. For the rest I have to travel.
Just to think that one on my list, the High Brown, could once be found locally.

Hoping for a great year for us all,
Trevor.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Echoing the thoughts of many others, i'm really impressed with your Brimstone success Trevor - i must be well into 3 figures over the last few days, but not a single decent photo opportunity. Granted i haven't really been trying very hard, but i'd have expected to have stumbled across a few opportunities with the kind of numbers that have been airborne. I suppose to console myself i can reflect that the real joy was, of course, to be seemingly continually accompanied by their graceful fluttering flight alongside miles and miles of otherwise largely deserted river bank habitat - had they all been settled and posing perfectly for photographs the experience would have been far less memorable. Hmmm - you can see what i've done there - not convinced? No - me neither!

Great pics and reporting - no doubt bump into you soon -

cheers-
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Ben. My Brimstone shots weren't just a fluke. There has been a lot of scrub and tree
clearance work in Rowland Wood and this has opened up some very wide vistas.
Even patrolling male Brimstones have to land at some point, and it is now possible to watch one
from a distance as it searches the undergrowth for females, finally go down to bask, and then carefully creep up on it.
Even then I sent a few up as I approached them. Glad my images have been enjoyed.

All good fun!.
Trevor.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I concur with everyone else, Trevor, particularly nice Brimstone shots (and Commas too) :)

Mike
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Mike. Another Comma this morning!.

A cool morning of temporary sunshine tempted a visit to the old railway, in Hailsham.
As soon as I walked from the car park I spotted a lone Comma high up a tree full of blossom.
Filled with optimism I walked the entire path, but nothing else was seen.

At only 9c, with increasing cloud, perhaps I was lucky to find just one Butterfly today!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1230825.JPG
P1230828.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastically springlike shot Trevor - it practically shouts "SPRING!" from the screen, a beauty of a shot :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hopefully that migth be one reasonable day again sometime this week :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks, Wurzel. I was quite pleased to capture anything at all, the Comma was about 30ft up in that tree.
I think we are in debt to the weather gods for those very fine late February days. My car was nearly blown off the road
this morning on the A27, as I was passing under the bridge that leads to Mill Hill!.

Looking forward to a week at the Pub in April.

Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

A rare shot of a UK March butterfly! Well done, Trevor. I've yet to see anything since 27th February! :(
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was thrilled this morning to discover the first of an eventual eight Small Tortoishells.
These had obviously overwintered in the roof space of the farm outbuildings. Most were
found basking or nectaring on Dandelion and White Dead Nettle.
I do hope today wasn't the peak emergence on the farm, as several years ago I counted
about forty, in similar weather conditions.
These were my first Small Torts since early last Summer. Great to see them at last.

As I was searching the meadow for more Small Torts, three Brimstones were flying
within the meadows boundaries.

Halnaker, West Sussex.
Attachments
P1230974.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news one the Small Torts find Trevor :D I had a paltry 5 today by comparison :mrgreen: - mind you I only did a little sample as walking is still uncomfortable.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Eight Torties isn't bad going, Trevor. I've only seen three myself so far this year, and south Wales is normally a very good spot for them.

Let's hope they weren't hit too hard by the heatwave through May, June & July.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Wurzel & David.No one could have been happier than me to see those Small Torts.

Monday's outing was spoilt when my newer camera failed to focus properly on any setting.
So Tuesday, with my spare camera suitably armed, I headed off to the old railway.
Three species were seen, Peacocks, Commas and Brimstones, though on Monday a solitary
Small White flew past me.
One of Tuesdays Brimstones presented me with the gift of an opportunity, when after
patrolling up and down, it suddenly landed where I was standing. So close in fact
that all I had to do was twist around and crouch down to get some shots!.

Also the site is host to quite a few Bee Flies.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340147.JPG
P1340161.JPG
P1340162.JPG
P1340160.JPG
P1340143.JPG
P1340129.JPG
P1340134.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Trevor - especially the Brimstone - they don;t often do that in the spring :D :mrgreen: I hope this warm spell lasts but I hear tell that the Mail is predicting "3 months of glorious spring weather" - so it could all be over by the weekend :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

If the Mail was predicting Arctic storm and tempest I would feel more optimistic
for some fine Spring weather. I am partly at fault for the weather here, I foolishly
whispered ' we're off ', now we have had two days of grey gloom!.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I would take those long-range predictions with a pinch of salt if I were you. I seem to remember some of the papers predicting the worst winter for goodness knows how long. The exact opposite of what actually happened.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A wonderful morning was spent at the old railway today.
The highlights include three Speckled Woods, my first this season, and another first
in the shape of a female Brimstone. She was not at all bothered by my presence as
she hopped from one flower to another, Dandelions were favoured over Celandine.
I was hoping the three patrolling males seen earlier would find her, but where are they
when you need them!.
All the usual species were present, and the old line is shaping up nicely for the Orange Tips,
any time now.

Hats and gloves next week?.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1340219.JPG
P1340234.JPG
P1340214.JPG
P1340207.JPG
P1340213.JPG
P1340217.JPG
P1340183.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”