Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Art Frames

Re: Pauline

Post by Art Frames »

Hi Pauline

Thank you for your welcome on my diary. I replied that I had looked at your diary earlier and loved the small coppers. Never seen anything like that many. I would have left a comment but we had not been introduced at that stage. I shall now feel less inhibited. :oops:

So I thought I'd add it here too. :)

kind regards

Peter (Art Frames)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, you'll have to go back to that site in April and check the Small Coppers out again :D
Beautiful shots on the Berries and Acorn, get some more shots of them on the flowers, Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the compliment Dave - that one is actually my favourite too.

I expect you're not the only one who is relieved that I bagged a Blue Badge Neil - I can stop moaning now :lol:

Great to hear from you Peter and thank you but please don't feel inhibited with me - I'm sure no-one else does :wink: :lol:

I'll definitely be back Goldie and just for you I shall post a couple on flowers - and also a couple of eggs, including the one I referred to that had become detached ..... No, I didn't 'rescue' it! :lol:
P1930378ad.jpg
P1950363ad.jpg
P1940977ad.jpg
P1930492ad.jpg
P1930317ad.jpg
P1940120ad.jpg
P1930568ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Notes from October

October 5th – I am realising that my local knowledge is shocking. Today I was introduced to 2 new local sites by Ern who has now reached a count of 144 3rd brood Small Coppers locally, being meticulous not to double count. (I still have not managed to persuade him to start a diary of his own so I feel it incumbent upon me to mention this record here ). Today I was only able to see half a dozen Small Copper at each site – but hey! 12 Small Coppers in a couple of hours in October. Never had that before! Not only Small Coppers but Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admirals and a lovely Comma. It is getting quite Autumnal out there now. The temperatures are really starting to fall, especially over night and I am not sure how long these gloriously sunny days can continue. In the garden I have a ‘plague’ of Large Yellow Underwing larva at all stages of their development. They are decimating many plants including my fruit trees – lemon, lime, orange – that are now back in the garden room after their spell outdoors over the Summer.

October 11 – today I met up with Hazel as she was keen to see if there were still any Small Coppers around locally. We checked out one of the sites that Ern had recently introduced me to and although we were not there very long managed to notch up a few Coppers as well as a Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral.
P1940912ad.jpg
P1940921ad.jpg
P1940943ad.jpg
P1940961ad.jpg

Before returning home I popped over to Broxhead and Bingo!! Another 10 Small Coppers, some in remarkably good condition, including one which I believe is the ab. Extensa?. Attempts at courtship by a couple of worn males proved futile but several females continued to egg lay. There seemed to be a preference for the small sorrel overhanging entrances to the badger sets but not exclusively so. One of the adults appeared to be taking minerals from just inside the entrance but without going head over heels to join her I couldn’t get in the right position to avoid the shadow.
Many of the eggs I had marked previously had now completely disappeared without trace and as there was no sign of feeding damage I can only conclude that a vast amount must get predated. It will be interesting to see what the Spring brings at this site.
P1950003ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

First up - congrats on getting a Blue Badger :D More lovely copper shots Pauline and that final one is very well marked - is that an ab I wonder? :D :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

All those Coppers take me back to my autumn at Bookham where their population exploded in their third gen, my last sighting of one was early November!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Those autumn images are almost sepia, Pauline!! :)

Won't be long now before we see the spring generation of Small Coppers, hopefully with another few blue-badgers down your way.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel. I THINK it's an ab. but I'm only guessing and would appreciate confirmation. As for blue 'badgers', well I haven't had that variety round here, just the white ones in the garden :wink: :lol:
DSC07418ad.jpg
I think the Coppers looked great on the bracken David - thank you. I shall certainly be checking back at these sites soon.

Yes, I was keeping in touch with your diary Buggy and making mental comparisons (sorry, I really didn't have time to comment then). I noticed you spotted several eggs on a single sorrel which I never found. I can only conclude that it was because of the amount of sorrel - vast amounts at these sites so plenty of choice for the butterflies. My last sighting was early November too - late October I was seeing eggs, egg-laying, larva and butterflies. I shall try to conclude the saga of the Coppers soon and move on but it was quite overwhelming, not having seen anything like these numbers ever.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Please tell us more about the 'albino' badger - I am guessing that it is a real one - but would be very interested in it's story. And I am impressed that your garden looks such a haven for wildlife. Apologies if you have fully covered badgers and gardens in the past but I'm still catching up... :)

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
David M

Post by David M »

You kept that quiet, Pauline. How long has that beauty been visiting you?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Peter

I actively encourage wild life to my garden and have badgers, foxes and hedgehogs almost every night:
P1850024ad.jpg
I have also had 63 species of birds, including a pair of Turtle Doves which have been coming annually:
P1030912d.JPG
I have been rearing 6 Autumn juveniles (hedgehogs) that I picked up in the garden during October, one of which weighed only 180 gms instead of the 450-600gms required to survive hibernation. They are all in aviaries on the brink of release now. Naturally, looking after so many 'waifs and strays' as they have been called, carries constraints - My (fairly frequent) butterfly outings tend to be short and rushed and I have not had a holiday since I was 21 (of course I'm only 25 now :wink: :lol: !). However, I find it incredibly interesting and rewarding and there is always something new to learn.

Thank you for your kind comment David. That shot was taken a few years ago but there have been several round here. Sadly most of them end up dead on the roads but that one was a frequent visitor and I could get within stroking distance of it which made me wonder if it was deaf - but then they do have an amazing sense of smell! I once collected a dead albino which was eagerly received by one of the badger groups who had it stuffed and mounted for educational purposes - so not entirely wasted!

Now back to the butterflies and the last post for now regarding Small Coppers as there is so much more to post. First though, a few shots that got missed from a previous post, including the gorgeous Comma, the Large Yellow Underwing cats and one of several migrant moths seen at this site (Vestral).
P1930421ad.jpg
P1930376ad.jpg
P1930993d.jpg
P1930456ad.jpg
Eager to monitor the progress of the local Coppers I returned to the site but my focus was on the immature stages. Eggs were easy to find – both hatched and unhatched – widely spread across the carpet of Sorrel. I had been keeping an eye on Buggy’s diary and I couldn't match his total of eggs on one leaf – the maximum I could find on one leaf was 2 eggs, with clusters of about 6-8 in a small patch. There was more signs of feeding than when I last looked but at this point I still failed to find a wild larva (well done Buggy). I have reared this species twice- one second brood and one third brood. Both times the larva whilst quite small stayed on their leaf. I am assuming they have either decided to hibernate or have been predated. It will be interesting in the Spring.
P1950149ad.jpg
P1950145ad.jpg

The end of October found me returning to Broxhead and the Small Coppers. After the heavy rains and chilly nights I was not sure what I would find but in a very small area I saw at least 5, possibly 6 butterflies, one of which was egg-laying!! I noted at least 2 of the butterflies were in excellent condition as I watched them busying themselves at the nectar sources and sun-bathing on dead leaves. They are remarkably well camouflaged among the autumnal colours. The variance in condition assisted in identification and head count and I wondered if it were possible that some of these were the result of a 4th brood as they looked very fresh?. There were large numbers of eggs still unhatched; I assume if these are laid too late in the season they will just perish. Several larva were also visible. At this site the butterflies seem to spend a considerable amount of time in the Oak trees. Not for the first time I watched one fly up into the branches and as I watched him settle I noticed another 2 fluttering around before also settling, just out of reach.
P1950459ad.jpg
P1950472ad.jpg
P1950489ad.jpg
P1950669ad.jpg
P1950681ad.jpg
So, in one day at the end of October, eggs, egg-laying, larva and butterflies :shock:
P1950322ad.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, love the complimentary colours of those those Small Coppers on the bracken :D

I have been having a few foxes visiting the garden over the winter but never had a badger.

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Neil

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I used to have a (cheap) camera running all night, connected to the PC. It is astonishing what goes on that you might never imagine. Here are a few 'stills' taken from the videos (sorry for the poor quality).
Badgers.jpg
November notes

12 November – was uncharacteristically mild but the persistent rain put paid to any outings. Thankfully the following day was dry (albeit grey) and with a return to the recent low temperatures I had now all but given up looking for anything lep. related. Having seen reports recently of a Great Grey Shrike on Thursley Common, whilst not having quite the same status as the Red Shrike found by Buggy, it nevertheless sounded interesting enough to tempt me out. Apart from the Roller I came across accidentally a few years ago, and a few Waxwings even further back, I have never been out looking for birds, so I was a little surprised at the number of folk looking for the Shrike, mostly unsuccessfully. After about 30 mins the Shrike was spotted at the top of a dead tree – a long, long way off. With my camera on full zoom I could just about make out the bird which was only there for about 15 seconds. I only had time to click the shutter once before it was off but I got a record shot. It didn’t return whilst I was there but several Dartford Warblers kept us all entertained. On the return journey I did in fact spot a dragonfly – this impressive structure which apparently was erected after the dreadful fire some years ago
P1950788D.jpg
Have I got the bug? Time will tell, but I have wanted to see a Snow Bunting for several years now, so the next day it was down to Southsea where a male and female were showing well for a prolonged period (getting the jargon too y’see?!). They were a delight to watch and brightened up another grey, cold, damp and drizzly day and good to bump into Mark too.
Snow Buntings.jpg
These cracking little birds come all the way from the Arctic. When in breeding condition their plumage is white with black tips (not the result of a moult but of an erosion of the feathers) which I imagine blends well with their snowy environment, but even now, whilst searching for small seeds and insects, they were remarkably well camouflaged. It was great to see the two of them together and be able to record (photographically) their behaviour, how they related to each other, found food etc. I took full advantage of their proximity to take as many photos as possible, believing I might never see them again, but surprised myself to realise I had taken over 500 shots ! Kindly birders pointed out to me other subjects of interest including a couple of Purple Sandpipers and some Rock Pipits.
P1960378ad.jpg
Well, I have never seen an owl in the wild so next on the list it was back down the A3 to Farlington Marshes where 3 Short-eared Owls had been reported. I do not think my camera is up to this new type of photography even allowing for its good zoom and the lack of binoculars was certainly a hindrance but that would be something else to carry! I wasn’t sure if I would be able to find and photograph the owls but based on my recent experience I was sure that there would be others looking for them and hoped they would be as helpful as the Southsea birders.

In the event I was the only person around but it really wasn’t difficult to spot these magnificent birds. I was over the moon just to be able to stand and watch them. They were much more active than I had anticipated and naively I had imagined they would be found in trees whereas the ground and low bushes seemed to be favoured in between swooping and gliding low over the marshes. My camera definitely couldn’t cope with the distance and speed of the birds but I managed a couple of record shots along with a nice image of a Kestrel.
P1960479ad.jpg
P1960459ad.jpg
P1960442ad.jpg
Well, what a week – Great Grey Shrike, Dartford Warbler, Short-eared Owl, Purple Sandpiper, Rock Pipits to name a few. It was a great interlude between searching for larva and the few butterflies still on the wing.

The poor weather continued and with strong winds a fair few branches were blown down from my Oaks. I have a colony of Purple Hairstreaks in these trees so I thought it was worth checking as I swept them up and sure enough I found several eggs:
P1960644ad.jpg
P1960657ad.jpg
I've reared these before, found on twigs blown down in the Straits, and hadn't intended to do it again but in the circumstances ............

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Pauline,
An Albino badger,that really is something ! Some years ago ,one was resident on Romney Marsh ( Kent), sadly never saw it myself,and it ended up like so many in Kent,ie; under the wheels of a car !.....pity. Some brilliant Small Coppers there (in all stages),and Vestal was a nice find,as was the
Extensa Copper , nice one, Regards Allan.W.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I just couldn't help seeing a fish in this one :lol: :
Pauline'sFish.jpg
Apologies for adding graffiti to your photo.

Your November report shows some super bird photos. SEOs are never easy and you've really caught their 'character'. Snow Buntings are always delightful to see. The North Norfolk coast is a great place for them and they swarm around the car-parks like sparrows, on cold Winter's days.

Like you, I've left a night camera running in our garden but usually I only get neighbours' cats :( I did capture an Owl once, swooping through, presumably looking for mice.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

bird shots there Pauline, Purple Sandpipers are great subjects as they often roost close in :D The Albino Badger looked stunning :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That’s a highly intriguing set of black and white images from your garden, Pauline. I can see badgers and very likely a fox, but is there also a hedgehog or is it a young badger?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Allan

Great to hear from you. Yes, Albino's are pretty special - such a shame you didn't get to see it. What I have noticed is that they always seem to be singletons and never part of a family group. Perhaps they're rejected because of their differences. Thank you for the confirmation on the Ab. and your very nice comment on my photos.

That's very irreverent Mike!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: I love it - you might have started a trend there. Now y'see, if it was me (if I could use photoshop like you) I would have turned it round so the tail was ears, the egg was the nose and drew a little mouth and whiskers - a little bunny :roll: :lol: Thank you for your kind comments on my bird shots but I have to say an Owl is not a bad catch on camera - I've not managed that yet.

Thank you Wurzel - hope we manage to catch up this year (perhaps if you go to Browndown?)

The camera ran for about 5 years David. It was a shame it was such poor quality but I couldn't afford more at the time. If you click on the image to enlarge I am sure you will be able to see that there is as many as 3 hedgehogs in one shot along with the badgers. Folk say that badgers eat hedgehogs but I have never witnessed that on my patch - probably because a supply of food is always available. There are no cubs in that shot but they are great fun to watch and the parents are really strict with them.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

D'you know what? There is so much going on at the moment that I am going to mix it up a bit and jump to a few more recent events. At the weekend I saw my first female Orange Tip and female Brimstone, plus my first Speckled Wood bringing my total to 9. I also picked up my first 3 ticks of the year whilst looking for adders in bracken!!! :twisted: :twisted: Really hope I'm not going to have a repeat of last year - already I'm itching all over :( . Today, in the space of about 30 minutes, which is all the time I had to spare, I managed a few shots of what I believe to be PBF final instar cats - one eating as though his life depended on it (guess it did) and the other tucked away in a curled up leaf. Many Peacocks and Bee Flies in the area:
P1980218ad.jpg
P1980214ad.jpg
P1980199ad.jpg
P1980144ad.jpg
P1980210ad.jpg
P1980207ad.jpg

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Pauline,
Just remembered,straight after posting to you last night,that back in March 2016,one of our local wildlife men (Bernard Boothroyd) posted
a short video clip on his twitter account of a Leucistic Badger that had been visiting his garden, near Hamstreet ,Kent. (29-3-16). Thought you may be interested . Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”