Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Andrew555

Post by David M »

I got a bit of a shock reading that until I saw the date of your sightings, Andrew!! It might only have been a month or so ago but with the warm spell things have changed out of all recognition.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel. :D I don't often try 'butterfly handling' , but that went well. She was, but flew out of sight far too quickly. :( :D

Sorry about that David. :lol: My next post is up to date. :shock: :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I took a trip to Ditchling Common on Friday to try and get my first sight of a Black Hairstreak. Only two seen during my 3 hour stay but one of them was feeding on Brambles right next to the path for a good 20 minutes or more.
1.jpg
There were many Meadow Browns, and Large Skippers were on guard.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
I spent the rest of the day local, at Lullingstone Country Park with beautiful fresh Dark Green Fritillaries and Marbled Whites. Ringlets and Small Skippers were also out.
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Fantastic to see the BS, my 3rd lifetime first this year. :D

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, love the shot of the Marbled White, :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great that you got to see your first ever Black Hairstreak at Ditchling, Andrew :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill set of images Andrew Blackstreak, Marbled Whites and then a DGF too :D :mrgreen: That would be a lifer and two FFY for me :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

So glad you got your Black Hairstreak, Andrew. The DGF was a nice bonus too!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Goldie! :D I share your love of them. :D

Thanks a lot Maximus. :D

Cheers Wurzel, with the Ringlets and Small Skippers it was a 1/4 day! :D

Thanks David, it was an awesome day all round! :D

kevling

Post by kevling »

Andrew,

Nice shots of the Marbled White & DGF. Lullingstone CP looks a good place and less than 90 minutes from Suffolk too. Perhaps a visit is in order. Glad you got your Black Hairstreak too.

Regards Kev

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Great set of shots Andrew. Specially love your shot of the Black Hairstreak and the side on shot of the Large Skipper. :D

Gary

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Kev, give a shout if you need more info. :D

Hi Gary, thanks a lot. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

23/06/18 Chiddingfold

My first time Emperor hunting at Chiddingfold, and blimey it was brilliant! I saw half a dozen or more individuals on the ground, regulars there were saying it was a really good showing. Up close encounters, really close! What a stunning butterfly. :D
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Cheers

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some fabulous shots there Andrew - you will never forget your first encounter! What on earth is it feeding on in that last shot - another grub?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Andrew :D I had t wait three years for my first grounded Emperor :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Pauline, it was really special. :D I really don't know, and I'd like to.

Cheers Wurzel. :D Wow three years ? :shock: That was pretty jammy for me then! :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

More from Chiddingfold, the support acts were pretty good! :D
Comma, Wood White, Silver-washed Fritillary, White Admiral and Brimstone.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
I couldn't resist another visit today, great to see Katrina and Trevor again. :D Star of the day was this Emperor ab.
8.jpg
9.jpg
Comparison shots, ab. on the left.
10.jpg
11.jpg
Cheers

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I'm glad you posted the comparison shots - I was going to ask why it was an ab! :oops: It looks like you had a fab day. Wood Whites and Emperors together! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant comparison shots Andrew, captured those really well :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm hoping the Emperors over this way keep coming to the ground until I can get out next, fingers crossed :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That ab seems to be cropping up in several posts recently.... :wink:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - I've just been doing a "spot the difference" between the Purple ab and standard on Trevor's post but it appears you liked the idea too and put the shots side-by-side. Great.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”