Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Maximus

Post by Pauline »

Fantastic photos again Mike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I see what you mean about the camouflage Cathy. Let's hope they don't become toooo interested in each other.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, they must be aware of each other but so far so good :D :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Mike - looking forward to the next installment - they grow up so quick don't they :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike

Your series of pictures tracking the emergence of the Brown Hairstreak larva are superb :D As are your Purple Hairstreak larva pics. There are no signs of emergence so far among my captives so it is nice to see what I am missing. I look forward to seeing the next instalment

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, they don't hang around, its amazing just how quickly they grow.

Thanks Paul,
I hope that your Purple Hairstreak eggs have now hatched.

The two Purple Hairstreak caterpillars we are rearing have given us hours of pleasure observing their development. They are now in their second instar and spend the day resting/basking and exploring their environment. We sometimes see them feeding, although it would appear that this is mainly carried out at night. During their moult they stayed motionless for 24 hours before shedding the larval skin, some of which they appeared to eat. They have grown considerably over the two weeks since hatching and are well camouflaged when resting between the Oak buds.

First instar Purple Hairstreak larva 12 days old
First instar Purple Hairstreak larva 12 days old
First instar Purple Hairstreak larvae 12 days old
First instar Purple Hairstreak larvae 12 days old
Post moult with old larval skin
Post moult with old larval skin
Post moult
Post moult
IMG_0179.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0179.JPGResize.JPG

After removing our remaining seventeen Purple Hairstreak eggs from the fridge on 31st March, the first two hatched this morning and I was able to capture the following images.

IMG_0286.JPGResize.JPG
First hatchling
First hatchling
IMG_0307.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
Second hatchling
Second hatchling

We have not seen very much of our Brown Hairstreak larvae as they remain well concealed within the Blackthorn buds, but we did manage a quick glimpse of a second instar larva just after moulting.

Brown Hairstreak larva and old larval skin
Brown Hairstreak larva and old larval skin

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Stunning photos Mike. It certainly is surprising how much time one can spend watching them - and half of that is just trying to find them :lol: . Seriously tho', it is fascinating and they are such attractive little creatures with amazing capability for camouflage. I am looking forward to more of your shots as they progress.

David M

Post by David M »

Magnificent stuff, Maximus. I hope you'll provide further images as these larvae develop.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike

Fantastic pictures again :D I just wondered are the largest Purple Hairstreak larvae inside or outside and in what sort of environment do you have them contained?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill images Mike :D The Brostreak really stands out when not hiding amongst the buds.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, we spend hours looking for/at them :lol: but yes it certainly is very fascinating and rewarding pastime :D

Thanks David, I certainly will give updates on their progress.

Thanks Paul, the largest two Purple Hairstreak larvae are in a draughty utility room with single glazed windows and a plastic roof. Its very cool at night but is warmer in the daytime but the larvae are not subjected to wind or rain.

Thanks Wurzel, they are almost always well hidden but hopefully as they grow they will find it harder to hide :wink: :D

Our first two Purple Hairstreak larvae continue to grow at a great rate and yesterday (3rd April) moulted again. They are now 19 days old and still spend their time resting on the Oak buds or climbing amoung the Oak leaves. They show no signs at present of spinning a silk web around the expanding buds to form a cocoon to hide in.

IMG_0638.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0645.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0649.JPGResize.JPG

More of the Purple Hairstreak eggs that we took out of the fridge on Monday 31st March have hatched. Although most have bored into the buds, several of the hatched larvae surprisingly stayed on the outside, seemingly making no attempt to bore inside. One in particular remained on the outside for 24 hours so must therefore have been feeding on the outer surface of the bud.

IMG_0363.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0399.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0429.JPGResize.JPG

We were caught out today when one of our Orange-tips emerged, unfortunately we missed the emergence but found a beautiful female waiting for us when we got home. Eight months since pupation, she is a sight for sore eyes :D She is now out in the garden roosting on an Erysimum Bowles Mauve flower and was still there when I looked just before dark. We now also have a male about to emerge, hope he waits until the morning!

IMG_0449.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0565.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0565.JPGC.JPGResize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots if the OT Mike- you should try a few night time shots - I tried some two years ago setting my camera to "night", pointing in the right direction of the roosting OT and clicking away. I couldn't work out why my shots looked all blurry until I realised I'd taken my contacts out and my glasses were on the top if my head :oops: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You have succeeded in doing what I have so far failed to do Mike - you have managed to capture that velvety softness that makes you want to gently stroke it. At this stage they really look like a beautiful little cat instead of a little unidentifiable grub. Your OT shot if fab too - just a shame you missed the emergence but hopefully you will catch the next one :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Wurzel, maybe taking photos of butterflies at night gives one an edge :wink: as they wont be able to see you coming :lol:

I agree Pauline that they are very soft looking when viewed in close up, and are very endearing little critters :D As for the OT....

Yesterday we waited cameras at the ready, imminently expecting the emergence of a male Orange-tip we had been rearing. It was at midnight when we took a last look, but he was still there inside the pupal case just as this photo taken earlier shows.

IMG_0699.JPGResize.JPG

Cathy was awake first the next morning and I was awoken by her frantic shouts as she ran quickly up the stairs. It turned out that she had gone for a quick peek just in time to see a head break through the pupal case. By the time she had called me and I had grabbed my camera he was now fully emerged and busy inflating his wings.

Still inflating wings
Still inflating wings
Fully inflated
Fully inflated
A glimpse of orange
A glimpse of orange
Trying out his proboscis
Trying out his proboscis

So I had missed the emergence again :( I'll be ready for the next one, which should be in a couple of days. As the weather was very cool, he went straight into roost mode alongside the female, which hatched two days ago. We had placed her on a Bowles Mauve flower in the garden after she emerged, which is where she stayed all that night and all the next day. Last night we made a decision, rightly or not, to bring her back in from the rain and cold, We placed her on some Dandelions in the cool, light room where we reared her. I am keeping regular checks on them and they have both spent today roosting on separate flowers in close proximity to each other. Hopefully we will get some sun tomorrow so we can release them both into the garden.

William

Post by William »

I'm sorry you missed the emergence Mike, I have experienced this when breeding Large and Small Whites, the Large were particularly frustrating. I spent all day sat by a collection of 3 pupae, and whenever I went to get a cup of tea of a biscuit, one would emerge with almost mathematical precision. Nevertheless, some truly stunning photos there, I particularly like the first one with the male inflating its wings - magnificent :D :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some great shots there Mike and you only missed a tiny bit of it - I'd be happy with that, thanks for sharing.

David M

Post by David M »

These are some of the best images I've seen on this site.

More please!!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike

Great pics of the 'just emerged' Orange Tip :D Sorry you missed the actual moment. I know how frustrating this can be. A couple of years ago I brought t a dozen or so Speckled Wood thorough to emergence. Guess what, I managed to miss every single one :( :lol:

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hello Mike,

I have to agree with David - the images on this page alone are just stunning.

Can't wait for the next emergence!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely brill Mike :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking forward to the next one, perhaps you could send it off this way so I could see my first for the year? :wink: ...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks William, I know what you mean, wait all day by a pupa and nothing happens, take the dog for a walk and out she pops :roll:

Thanks Pauline, yes I was very happy with what I got.

Thanks David, more to follow.....

Thanks Paul, I agree it can be very frustrating but also amazingly rewarding.

Thanks Lee, the next emergence to follow.....

Thanks Wurzel, I've pointed some in the direction of Salisbury, hope they reach you soon :wink:

After an eleven hour long vigil on Tuesday waiting for the emergence of our next Orange-tip, she failed to put in an appearance. Before going to bed that night I took a final look and was convinced that she would have emerged before the morning. I set the alarm and early the next morning found that she was still within her pupal case. By 10.15am she still hadn't emerged, and whilst I was waiting I found myself distracted by one of our Brown Hairstreak larvae which was showing rather nicely on a Blackthorn leaf. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement and looked down to find her pushing her head out of her pupal case. It was a bit of a panic to get to the camera in time, but I managed to get the following shots..

IMG_1170.JPGResize.JPG
9 minutes before emergence
9 minutes before emergence
emergence at 10.15 AM
emergence at 10.15 AM
IMG_1172.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1173.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1182.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1187.JPGResize.JPG
Fully inflated at 10.29AM
Fully inflated at 10.29AM

This was going to be my practise run as I still had one more OT female in it's pupal case, colouring up nicely and looking like it had at least another day to go before emerging. However, when I got back home in the evening I checked on her and found she'd already made an appearance and was hanging upside down merrily on the netting of her container awaiting release :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”