essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of Adonis Blues Essex :D They're one of those species that can easily make you trigger happy but no apologies are necessary :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks for your replies,folks. As you say,photographs cannot do justice to the spectacle. They were a truely brilliant sight,one that will remain with me for a long time-one of those magic moments!

A couple of things i noted,especially in Dorset. Firstly,the abundance of Gatekeepers in late August-they were still virtually everywhere. They have long since finished for the season where i live-i wonder why this is?

Secondly,the relative scarcity of migrants! Although i saw the odd Red Admiral and Painted Lady in Cornwall,they were virtually absent in Dorset-given the good weather in summer this year,i find this surprising. Red Admiral,in particular,were far more common in last years washout summer! Also unexpected was that Clouded Yellows outnumbered the other two,with low to reasonable numbers throughout the area-not exactly a 'Clouded Yellow Year', but outnumbering Red Admiral and Painted Lady put together. :o

Here are a few more pics from our last day on the Isle of Purbeck;
Attachments
lulworth skipper at ballard
lulworth skipper at ballard
old harry rocks
old harry rocks
magpie
magpie
speckled wood
speckled wood
how many adonis in this picture?
how many adonis in this picture?

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi eb,

Just doing some catching up after my week in Dorset, great reports and some excellent photos, especially the Adonis Blues :D
I did not make it to Ballard Down this year but had a similar experience on White Horse Hill at Osmington, hundreds of Adonis Blues basking in the grass on one of the slopes in the early evening sun, absolutely magical :D :D

Like you I only saw a handful of Painted Ladies and a couple of Red Admirals but plenty of Clouded Yellows, maybe 50+ throughout the week :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Adonis shots Buzzard, we were at Ballard Down last Thursday and the Adonis numbers there were amazing.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the field of Adonis and Lulworths Essex :D I camp on the hill on the other side if Ballard Down every year so you've reminded me that I must try and get up there next time.

Have s goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,sounds like you had a good time in Dorset,hope you were able to make the most of the last of the good weather. Looking foreward to reading your diary!

Hi Maximus,glad you managed to get to Ballard. It is an amazing place,in sure you will agree.

Wurzel,you really must visit in Adonis season! I'm told the spring emergance was good,too,including lots of blue females. I really must try to get there in late May next year...

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

LYDDEN TEMPLE EWELL DOWNS

On the 29 August,the sun was shining,so with a free day,we headed off to Lydden,Temple Ewell Downs,near Dover,for our annual end of season outing there.

Although butterflies have probably caught up,the plants are still showing evidence of the late season this year,and no autumn ladies tresses had emerged yet,which i expect to see here,though autumn gentian were seen and photographed.

Plenty of butterfly interest,though-Meadow Browns were still everywhere,as were the two cabbage Whites.

Even in the car-park,butterfly bushes were alive with Small Tortoiseshells,whites and a single Red Admiral. On the first section of Down, Chalkhill Blues were soon seen,some still quite fresh. Then some Adonis and Common Blues were spotted,respendant in the sunshine. Even the lovely Common Blues looked dull compared to the Adonis Blues. Then i spied the a Silver-spotted Skipper-the first of many,for there is a strong colony here.

We made our way up the hill,past the trees,and onto the next section. Here more Silver-spotted Skippers were seen,and we had the pleasure of finding some eggs on the sheeps fescue plants-it's amazing that these eggs will be the adults i see here late summer next year. Some females were musc darker than others,see photo's.More Adonis Blues were on this side,as well as several Brown Argus. Then a butterfly i was hoping to see came into view,feeding on scabious-a Wall. In the event,several were seen. Several Clouded Yellows were present here, and a Small Copper or two. A Holly Blue was feeding on marjoram- i havn't seen many from the second brood this year.

In the shadier areas,Speckled Woods were noted,but didn't see any Brimstones this year.

On the bird front,buzzards were present,as well as several kestrels-probably a family group. Migrating wheatear were seen on some fence posts,probably my last for the year.

Here are a few pictures,more to come...
Attachments
autumn gentian,or felwort
autumn gentian,or felwort
adonis blue
adonis blue
holly blue
holly blue
dark silver spotted skipper female
dark silver spotted skipper female

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A few more pictures from east Kent...
Attachments
light phase silver spotted female
light phase silver spotted female
clouded yellow
clouded yellow
chalkhill blue
chalkhill blue
silver spotted skipper male
silver spotted skipper male
common blue
common blue

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports and shots Essex :D Really interesting to see the "phases" of the Silver Spots is that related to temperature during their development? The Holly Blue is stunning and falls into the "I wish I'd taken that" category :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

You may have something on the Silver Spotteds there,Wurzel. But temperatures in August this year were only near average,so i don't know.

Well,it's been soo cold and wet in september so far-there were even blizzards over the Scottish mountains today,i believe!

However,before the weather broke,we managed probably our last butterfly day out this year,going to the Steyning Riffle Range,in Sussex,on the 4 September.

We walked up the path,past the alotments,up the hill to the Range,noting Holly Blue,Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown on the way,as well as the two cabbage Whites,now in lower numbers.

On the south-facing grassy slope,there is small area of short turf and here i was delighted,if a little surprised to find half a dozen Adonis Blues. Surprised because the short turf area is so small! But lovely to see.

The main reason for visiting this site is to see the egg-laying Brown Hairstreaks. We had seen them a couple of weeks earlier in Dorset,but were hungry for more. Steyning didn't disappoint. We saw seven seperate females come down to lay. We also saw a familiar figure in the form of a Sussex Kipper,a lady from Brighton,and another couple. Sometines,there were calls 'got one here' coming from different directions,and then have to decide which one to follow. Is their one fresher than ours? Is ours posing better for photo's?

The last one came down at about 2.30,after Sussex Kipper had gone. We have our female Brighton friend to thank for finding it. We watched it for a few minutes,then it took off,up the slope,into the trees at the top,and was gone.

All to brief,then,but a great way to end. We also saw Common Blue,Brown Argus and a spotted flycatcher on the Adonis slope. :)
Attachments
4 sept ukb 001a.JPG
4 sept ukb 002a.JPG
4 sept ukb 003a.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Essex :D Seven females Brostreaks :shock: I thought I was doing well with five :mrgreen: I'll have to try harder next year :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

18 SEPTEMBER

With the changable and unreliable weather,decided not to go too far today. So stayed in Essex,and went to Grays chalk pit. Despite low temperatures and minimal sunshine,quickly spotted a Common Blue male,and soon after,a female. Walked first arount the top of the pit,where a few flowers are still present. A few Small White were seen here during any sunny spells, as well as a Comma. A buzzard was soaring,mobbed by four magpies. Then,in the hedge,a tiny silver butterfly-a Holly Blue female.

Once at the bottom of the pit,several Speckled Woods were present,and then a couple of nice third generation Green-veined Whites and another Comma. Here,common and ruddy darters were abundant,oweing to the nearby pond. However,one pair in tandem were overpositing in puddles of rainwater!

Then onto Rainham Marshes RSPB. Too cold for many butterflies by now,though i did see Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell singles when i first arrived,plus a couple of Small Whites. Meanwhile,on the broadwalk,several common lizards with babies were trying in vain to warm up,they were lovely to see.

Rainham is mostly a bird reserve and,although fairly quiet,several migrating hobbies were hawking the dragonflies. They are quite splendid in flight,and were a pleasure to watch. Although i was tempted to try,they are in reality too fast to photograph!
Attachments
green-veined white at grays
green-veined white at grays
lizard at rainham marshes
lizard at rainham marshes
young lizards
young lizards

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the GV White Essex :mrgreen: I missed out on seeing a Hobby this year so double :mrgreen: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Wurzel. Not quite as exciting as goings on on the other side of the river,but a pleasure none the less!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

LONG TAILED BLUES!

As we have seen,Long-tailed Blues at Kinsdown,near Dover,and probably at other places as well. With a fine day forecast on Weds 25 Sept,how could i resist the opportunity to witness this perhaps once in a lifetime event?

Driving through the fog,i arrived 9.30am and,thanks to excellent directions from Neil (sussex kipper),soon found my way to the site Several other people soon arrived,and it didn't take long to track down a couple of males-my first ever LTB!,at the southern end of the Leas.

More people were arriving to see this remarkable event-most,if not all,were successful.

We then walked to the northern end where one,possibly two,further males,were found by Rosalyn,one showed well for several minutes. Having several people searching was a definate advantage. Perhaps surprisingly,they were in the grass,not on the broad-leaf everlasting peas. We spent lunchtime at this north end,then headed back to the south section,which seemed to have greater numbers. Here,we eventually found two Adonis Blues chasing another blue which,when settled,turned out to be a nice fresh female LTB,our first of the day! This was fantastic-what a find! I was happy before,and now this!

We quickly grabbed our cameras and took a multitude of pictures but,in the event,she hung around for the rest of this warm,still hazy day. She tended to settle on dead knapweed heads,only occasionaly visiting flowers. Sometimes she would take flight,but always turned back when she got to the cliffs,eventually going to roost in the long grass.

Meanwhile,another gentleman reported anothed male further south toward St Margarets so,between us,we can account for at least five,4 male 1 female. Also during the day,we saw Brimstone,Small and Large Whites,Small Coppers,Common,Chalkhill and Adonis Blues,Brown Argus,Red Admiral and Speckled Woods. What a day!!! :D :D :D
Attachments
chalkhill
chalkhill
long tailed blue male
long tailed blue male
long tailed blue female
long tailed blue female
long tailed blue in britain!
long tailed blue in britain!
long tailed and adonis blue
long tailed and adonis blue

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great photos, Buzzard! The Chalkhill Blue is the same one as I saw today - if only all the others had been there too! I particularly like the LTB + Adonis - that really has to be a once in a lifetime combination.

Dave (distinctly :mrgreen: )

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Dave! I promise that LTB and Adonis combination pic was not set up,in any way-just very lucky!

SUNDAY 6 OCTOBER.

Well,after weeks of mainly grey skies,the sun at last returned today-and so did the butterflies! Sadly i was at work,but i managed to get out lunchtime-and found a nice fresh Painted Lady! Most unexpected in what has been another poor year for this species,at least where i live.

Also were several Commas,at least 3 late Peacocks and singles of Red Admiral,Small Tortoiseshell and Large White. Most of these were feeding on the remaining sprigs of butterflybush and Hebe 'Midsummer Beauty'.

Arriving home late afternoon,my local bramble patch had two Comma and a Speckled Wood.

A feel-good day! :)
Attachments
6 oct ukb 001a.JPG
6 oct ukb 002a.JPG
Last edited by essexbuzzard on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Essex and great shots and the LTB and Adonis is a cracker, serendipitous :mrgreen: The Painted Lady is none too shabby either :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I note from Atropos that LT Blue has been seen at Languard, Felixstowe, not a stone's throw from Essex. Surely you can persuade some LT Blues from North Kent or South Suffolk to cross the border? The likelihood is that they have done so already but haven't been seen (or reported).

Jack

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

You are absolutely right,Jack! There can be little doubt that adults have turned up in the county,undetected,and probably even established temporary colonies here. I even checked a small Bladder-senna bush that grows by a road nearby,alas i saw no sign of adults or of feeding damage by caterpillars. When i lived on the farm,we had a large clump of Broad-leaf Everlastin Pea in the garden,long since destroyed by the current residents. If i still lived there,my,that would be worth checking!

Return to “Personal Diaries”