millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

So I tossed imaginary coin, and it came down neatly on the edge: I would go to Denbies, but visit Noar Hill first.

Part One:

I arrived at Noar Hill at about 1000, and for some considerable while saw nothing but a handful of Peacocks. However, almost as if a switch had been flicked, at about 1115 Whites (Green-veined I suspect), Brimstones and Orange Tips appeared along the hedgerows. Finally, at around noon, I encountered a Duke of Burgundy. This individual was happy to hang around for half an hour or so, and whilst it was there, who should appear but Pete Eeles. Really good to meet you properly, Pete! :D Eventually, the Duke decided to disappear off beyond my tracking it, and I in turn headed back to the car – passing a Small Tortoiseshell en route.
Attachments
DB1 020513.JPG
DB2 020513.JPG
DB3 020513.JPG
Looking cute...
Looking cute...

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Part Two:

I reached Denbies around 1400, with the main aim of seeing Green Hairstreaks. I was not to be disappointed, as at least three were in their usual haunt. One in particular persistently perched photogenically in between squabbles with the others. I set off across the rest of the hillside, hoping to see Grizzled, even Dingy Skippers. It was not to be, but instead I managed to put up a pale orange butterfly – hot pursuit uphill revealed it to be a Small Heath. I never succeeded in getting close to it, but achieved a rather fuzzy shot for the record. Elsewhere on the hill there were Brimstones (including females looking to lay), Orange Tips and one or two Peacocks.
Attachments
GH1 020513.JPG
GH2 020513.JPG
GH5 020513.JPG
GH4020513.JPG
For the record
For the record
Denbies 020513.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Part Three:

Time to go home – but on getting back, there was still time for a stroll around my local patch. I’m glad I did. The first butterfly I saw was a Red Admiral. I imagine this was a migrant, as any that overwintered would have appeared before now if they hadn’t perished in the prolonged cold winter. This was an aggressive insect, repeatedly diving at me as I tried to photograph a Speckled Wood and seeing off a Holly Blue and then an unsuspecting Robin. Moving on, it was clear that there had been a significant emergence of Green-veined Whites and Orange Tips. Two of the latter had wasted no time at all, and I found them in flagrante on a bramble – looking somewhat uncomfortable, it must be said. As the sun lowered, the Orange Tips stopped their patrolling and came to a stand of Garlic Mustard where they basked, nectared and settled down – beautifully camouflaged on the flower heads. A few days back, these flowers were not even open – the Orange Tips must somehow know when to come out. I also watched a Brimstone make its way amongst the leaves of an ivy plant – effectively disappearing so good was the camouflage. On top of all this, I lost count of the Peacocks and Commas. They were everywhere along the paths, tussling with each other over overlapping territories. Finally, I encountered a Small Tortoiseshell over the nettle beds – looking decidedly worn now.

Quite a day, really. :)

Dave
Attachments
RA2 020513.JPG
I'm watching you...
I'm watching you...
SpW1 020513.JPG
Now you see it...
Now you see it...
...now you don't
...now you don't
OT pair1 020513.JPG
OT pair2 020513.JPG
OT1 020513.JPG
OT2 020513.JPG
OT3 020513.JPG
OT4 020513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Quite a day" :shock: I'll say! :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Another brilliant morning, but no chance of a day off work again, so I just had a brief tour of the local patch at just before nine. Yesterday's Speckled Wood was up and about, but apart from four or five Green-veined Whites, an Orange Tip, and a couple of Holly Blues fluttering around a neighbour's box hedge, nothing else was stirring.

Dave
Attachments
SpW1 030513.JPG
GVW1 030513.JPG
GVW2 030513.JPG
OT1 030513.JPG
Last edited by millerd on Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots again Dave - I really am going to have to out some time in to get some Orange-tip shots, though I don't know if I'll be able to match yours :mrgreen:
Enjoy the Hen, I'm on Old Peculier tonight :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote:... but apart from four or five Green-veined Whites, an Orange Tip, and a couple of Holly Blues fluttering around a neighbour's box hedge, nothing else was stirring.
Dave
That would still be a good count for me Dave, things only just kicking off over the past couple of days here in the Midlands, first Grizzled Skipper reported a couple of days ago, no Green Hairstreaks yet.... and the Speckled Woods still havn't shown up in my garden. Plenty of hibernators still about though, mostly Peacocks and Commas for me (as usual).

Hoping the bank holiday will see a few more reports

Cheers,

NeilF.

Edit; I tell a lie, the first Green Hairstreak reported from Ryton a couple of days ago.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

It was afternoon before the sun appeared today, and my was it breezy round here, not to mention noticeably cooler. I decided to walk alongside the Thames at Runnymede, followed by a tour round Bedfont Lakes Country Park.

All good exercise, but not many butterflies: a solitary Small Tortoiseshell at Runnymede and a Peacock and a couple of Commas at Bedfont. I therefore returned home and did the usual circuit here, which proved a better idea, as I saw two Speckled Woods (both seemed a bit pale, and one had larger spots than usual), and several Commas and Peacocks. One Speckled Wood proved impossible to get properly in focus as it was vibrating one forewing. I checked a small patch of Cuckoo Flower to find the Orange Tips had got there first: two eggs were in evidence, still quite pale.

Dave
Attachments
Out of the wind at Runnymede
Out of the wind at Runnymede
Pale and with larger spots
Pale and with larger spots
Constantly vibrating its right forewing
Constantly vibrating its right forewing
Egg one
Egg one
Egg two
Egg two
Egg two close up
Egg two close up

Susie

Post by Susie »

Just catching up with your diary Dave, it looks like you had a good week. Cracking photos too! :-)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Susie - yes, a splendid week, really. :D

Today was warm, but mostly cloudy. I was free in the afternoon, and not too far away, so I had a walk around the Botany Bay end of the woods at Chiddingfold. Despite a few bursts of sun, I saw not a single butterfly. The only thing was to return home and see if that was any better. It was: within a few metres of the start of the walk, I had seen a Speckled Wood, a Holly Blue, a Green-veined White, a Peacock and a Comma. As I walked, the sun started to break through a little and it became quite muggy. I saw five or six more Green-veined Whites, a couple of Orange Tips (includng one basking way up in a hawthorn tree), two more Holly Blues, and more Peacocks and Commas. I also saw another first for the year, a male Large White which I disturbed nectaring on a dandelion. It didn't forgive me, and I didn't manage a photo.

I managed to find another Orange Tip egg, much more orange than yesterday's two, in an adjacent clump of Cuckoo Flower. Close to the spot is a stand of Garlic Mustard, sheltered by trees, but quite open to sunlight. Peering carefully at the flowerheads, I suddenly resolved two of the clusters of buds into a pair of roosting Orange Tips.

Dave
Attachments
SpW 050513.JPG
Comma 050513.JPG
Peacock 050513.JPG
OT egg 050513.JPG
There are two Orange Tips in this picture...
There are two Orange Tips in this picture...
OT5 050513.JPG
OT6 050513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots again Dave :D Also a couple of thank yous. First for the date of the end of the Hen offer! 8) Also for the shots of Cuckoo flower. I've been seeing it here and there but wasn't sure if that was actually the stuff, but your shots have confirmed it for me :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

This afternoon, I headed north for a change, to the NT car park at Pitstone Hill on the Chilterns. I walked southwestwards along the northwest edge of the hillside along to the reserve at Aldbury Nowers in Hertfordshire (Pitstone is in Bucks). Aside from a Brimstone or two, all I saw across a mile or so of hill were two Green Hairstreaks. These I took to be females from their behaviour, as they kept low to the ground with no attempt to perch in the nearby scrub.

However, once into the reserve, with its south-facing, sheltered, chalk scree slope (try saying that a few times after a glass of ale), things changed. Within a minute or two, I spotted a Grizzled Skipper, and over the next hour or so I saw at least three more individuals. There were probably more. Brimstones abounded, with both sexes represented, and there were plenty of Orange Tips and Green-veined Whites too. At the bottom of the slope, I found two more Green Hairstreaks, and as I left the reserve later, another passed me, crossing the county boundary from Bucks into Herts. A sighting record for both counties?

As ever, on returning home I did a circuit locally. Every day is different: today Holly Blues were the most numerous species (thirteen seen altogether), and several more Speckled Woods had emerged too (seven seen in all). Brimstones, Orange Tips, GVW and Large Whites, Commas and Peacocks completed the picture. It has been a real joy to see so many Peacocks and Commas in recent weeks, and I shall miss being dive-bombed by the former and hustled by the latter when they disappear, probably fairly soon. The Commas in particular are looking very tired now.

Dave
Attachments
Buckinghamshire Green Hairstreak
Buckinghamshire Green Hairstreak
GS1 060513.JPG
GS2 060513.JPG
GS3 060513.JPG
Hertfordshire Green Hairstreak
Hertfordshire Green Hairstreak
OT2 060513.JPG
Not so well camouflaged
Not so well camouflaged
SpW 060513.JPG
Hanging on in there - quite a dark individual
Hanging on in there - quite a dark individual
Last edited by millerd on Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave,

Nice photos, I particularly like the first Grizzled Skipper against the rocks :D

Is it me, or do Grizzled Skippers have darker markings as you go South :?: I started noticing last year that those from Warwickshire seem to show a lighter brown patterning than a lot of photos posted from more southern locations, some of which have markings that look almost black. Its not just my photos either, I have looked at some taken by other people in the midlands which seem to show the same.

Cheers,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

That first Grizzled Skipper image is a killer, Dave.

Excellent shot.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi all - regarding he darkness of grizzled skippers I think it is probably more to do with the freshness of the butterfly. From my observations they only appear black for a day or two after emerging - they even appear to have a metallic sheen when they are very fresh. Once they have been out for a few days the 'black' areas become more brown. Grizzled skippers have been out for about a week in Hampshire and quite a few that I saw today already seemed to have a brownish background. :D mark.

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I agree, a lovely photo Dave, the Grizzled Skipper looks great on those stones, nice combination.

All the best, Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all - it was a lovely butterfly, and posed in a textbook spot. :D

Those chalk pebbles were really hot to the touch as well!

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuts wrote:Hi all - regarding he darkness of grizzled skippers I think it is probably more to do with the freshness of the butterfly. From my observations they only appear black for a day or two after emerging - they even appear to have a metallic sheen when they are very fresh. Once they have been out for a few days the 'black' areas become more brown. Grizzled skippers have been out for about a week in Hampshire and quite a few that I saw today already seemed to have a brownish background. :D mark.
Hi Mark,

Your probably right, its just the one I saw today in Warks was very fresh, even had that sheen on it a bit, but still looked a bit lighter to me. Probably just my eyes need re-calibrating :wink:

Sorry Dave, I will get out of your diary now.

Neil F.

millerd

Post by millerd »

No problem, Neil! You've got me delving through past photos of Grizzlies from all over the place, looking for trends... :D

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with everyone else about the Grizzlie shot, but I also think the third was is great as it shows the diminutive scale perfectly :D . However I see you also have a few shots of the horrible green thing, the least said about that the better :roll: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”