Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Three Clouded Yellows were found at Southwick this morning, in about an hour.
The only other Butterfly was a possible Small Tortoiseshell, but I only had a brief glimpse.

Bob the Egret was a little less camera shy today !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1230241.JPG
P1230216.JPG
P1230232.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I hope you've recovered from your cold, Trevor. Nothing like a hearty sneeze to disturb a nicely perched Clouded Yellow... :wink:

Nice shots and good to see they are still flying by the seaside - not really surprising though in the context of the year. Did you see the report from Southbourne suggesting the possibility of another generation there this year? Extraordinary - it would mean them emerging just in time for Christmas... :?

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Trevor :D Good to see Bob being a bit better behaved :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Bob the egret is fast becoming a star on here, Trevor! Will he be around throughout the winter?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today's weather forecast was the best one for this month so far ( at least for Sussex ).
Also noticing that yesterday's strong breeze had eased, suggested that a day at Mill Hill
might be worthwhile.
Walking from the lower car park, I could make out a distant female enthusiast in the exact
area I was heading to. It turned out to be Kirsty Gibbs, who had located a fresh, male Common Blue.
As we chatted, my first Clouded Yellow came into view ( the first of six, 5m,1f ).
Kirsty had to leave early for work, but told me that Dave Cook was on his way.
As time wore on the Sun began to warm things up, and the Cloudies responded, but one in particular
caught Dave's attention. He called out that a female Cloudie had appeared, when I went over to
have a look it was clear that she was on an egg laying mission, with frequent short hops and pauses.
We were both fortunate to actually observe an egg being deposited, incredible given the date!.

Sightings for today were: three male Common Blues, a worn female Brown Argus, six Clouded Yellows,
and a flyby male Brimstone. Dave also saw a Comma.

Will today be my last Butterfly day out this year?.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1230317.JPG
Depositing an egg.
Depositing an egg.
Egg laying female
Egg laying female
The best image of the egg.
The best image of the egg.
P1230288.JPG
P1230387.JPG
P1230384.JPG
P1230259.JPG
P1230269.JPG
P1230311.JPG
P1230374.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a splendid selection for mid-November, Trevor. Those Cloudies never give up, do they? :) :mrgreen: And Common Blues and Brown Argus too :) I nearly joined you, but in the end staying local worked out quite well as it happened. :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Impressive stuff Trevor, although I'm learning to be unsurprised by findings down in that part of the world now :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking haul for November Trevor - 6 Cloudies and 4-5 species :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The micro-climate must be just right :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a really exceptional find Trevor :mrgreen: :D Have you found Butterflies so late before in November :?: No chance for them here although the weather has been good lately, love the shot of the one in the yellow flower :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

You may as well be in the south of France with those kind of returns, Trevor. How much longer can it go on?

trevor

Post by trevor »

MY HIGHLIGHTS OF 2018.

I think most would agree that 2018 was a brilliant year for Butterflies.
And as in most years, there were a few surprises. This year there were four occasions that stand out.

The first big surprise came after a phone call from Dave Cook, asking if I had any plans for Monday ( 12th June ).
' Meet me in Ditchling Common car park at 10 o'clock ', my request as to why was declined, but I was left with
the impression that I would see something quite special. I sincerely thank Dave for the tip-off, but not for a
Sunday night of sleepless anticipation!. Of Course that the site was host to the Black Hairstreak is now history,
but what a discovery by Dave, who had found a couple the previous year, on the common.
I was kindly invited to the Monday ' preview ' day, after which the discovery was announced to the world.
Needless to say on the Wednesday the large car park was overflowing.

The next unexpected find came on 30th June, in Abbots Wood, very close to my home.
I thought for a few seconds that I had stumbled on an oversized Ringlet, but soon realised
that it was a White Admiral ab. ab. nigrina. Such a find takes one aback with excitement.
This ab was to be the first of three in the same week.....................

End of part 1.
Attachments
P1170059.JPG
P1170069.JPG
P1180010.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

2018 HIGHLIGHTS Part 2.

The Purple Emperor had a great season in Sussex, but it was over the border in Surrey
that two more ab's were seen. Both were male Purple Emperors and both were ab. Lugenda.
The first one was being videoed. Anyone standing still, aiming a camera in the Emperor
season is sure to become a target for curiosity, and so I carefully wandered over, and the
gentleman with the video kindly allowed me to take some shots. I very soon realised that
I was looking at my first ever ab.
The second ab. Lugenda was found by me four days later. A small group of us, including
Katrina and Andrew555, watched as this particular Emperor promptly flew into a nearby
bush, we waited patiently hoping it would return to the ground, which it fortunately did.
As we clicked away, Andrew said " this one looks different ", but in the heat the Butterfly
was reluctant to open up for a proper look, but some ground level closed wing shots confirmed
another ab. This Emperor only flicked it's wings open briefly and we all got some bad shots
that confirmed ab. Lugenda.

My last big surprise came back at Abbots Wood. Although I was deliberately looking for
Purple Hairstreaks, it was quite a shock to find a couple quickly and easily.
Out of eleven early morning visits, Purple Hairstreaks were found low down on
eight occasions. Unfortunately it was too late in their flight season for fresh specimens.
Something I hope to put right in 2019!.
Attachments
The first ab. Lugenda 25/6/2018.
The first ab. Lugenda 25/6/2018.
The first ab. Lugenda.
The first ab. Lugenda.
The second ab. Lugenda. 28/6/2018
The second ab. Lugenda. 28/6/2018
P1180216.JPG
P1180072.JPG
P1180194.JPG

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great stuff Trevor. :D The Emperors were certainly a huge highlight for me this year, made all the better by seeing them with yourself and others. :D

Cheers

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Fantastic highlights Trevor - and thanks for keeping us all up to date via your diary - like many others it’s a great read and an invaluable resource when it comes to planning trips. Also very nice to bump into you a few times this year - looking forward to repeating that in 2019...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Andrew and Ben. It was also great to see you both during the year.
It always amazes me how often familiar faces turn up where I happen to be, when
there is the whole of the South East to choose from.

Now for what I consider to be my best image of 2018, at least it is the one that pleases me the most.
Taken one late May evening, when the Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries had just started to emerge, at
Park Corner Heath in East Sussex. It was also a lucky shot as the Butterfly was resting on a Bracken frond
several yards from the path. The only way to obtain an image was to poke the camera through the Bracken
and hope for the best. Any attempt to wade into the vegetation would almost certainly have sent the Butterfly up.

Trevor.
Attachments
34509876_453283678454837_3371023228225978368_n[1].jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right there, Trevor - that is a terrific shot of the SPBF. It almost seems to be floating above the frond and there is an overall ethereal quality to the photo. It has to qualify for a :mrgreen: :). You certainly had a bit of a purple patch with those abs as well (if you'll excuse the pun :wink: ).

Many thanks for being the "local knowledge" on a number of my Sussex trips this year, all of which have been brilliant days out. Looking forward some more in the spring! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic abs, Purps and Blackstreaks Trevor :shock: :mrgreen: Cheers for revealing Tilshead to me in 2018 - looking forward to checking it out in 2019 :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Some very striking images in your last post, Trevor. That Purple Emperor aberration is wonderful, as is the open wing shot of the female Purple Hairstreak.

As for your SPBF....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave, Wurzel & David.

I am sure we will bump into each other in 2019, Dave. Maybe a slightly earlier visit to the old railway?.

Wurzel, I'm sure Tilshead will feature in your ' stop off ' itinery, here's a few ' reasons ' for being late home:
You had to take detention, road works caused diversion, you forgot something and had to return, etc.
We will have to meet at the Bell for a Wall brown fest. in 2019.

Thanks for all your comments this year David, and a mrgreen :mrgreen: for living so close to the High Brown Fritillary.

PS. A fresh Clouded Yellow, and a Peacock were found by Dave Cook at Mill Hill yesterday!. ( 30/11 )

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, you were certainly lucky last year :D I must try to get to your part of England this year, ( Coach wise) I've still not seen a Grizzled Skipper I must try for May and may be I'll get lucky , I really fancy Dorset though for the Adonis, looking forward to Spring and the lighter nights now, Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”